Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Most overrated players of all time

JBones

I was reading about Sergio Garcias most recent choke and I read the below in the comments section of the article.  This begs the question.....who is the most overrated player of all time?  This person makes a pretty convincing case for it to be Sergio.

courtesty of GolfChannel.com commenter "Papi Time"

Allow me to take all of you back to The Golf Channel Losing Their Minds over 19 year old Sergio Garcia for Closing his Eyes and Hitting a Slice from Behind a Tree and then running after it with a Scissors Kick at the 1999 PGA Championship. 

Allow me to take all of you back to The Golf Channel Losing Their Minds over 19 year old Sergio Garcia for Closing his Eyes and Hitting a Slice from Behind a Tree and then running after it with a Scissors Kick at the 1999 PGA Championship. 

Remember that? 
That was 15 ¼ Years Ago. 

Sergio was The Tiger Slayer was what the Golf Channel was Trying to Sell to The World. He Pointed at Tiger on the 17th Hole in the Final Rd... Ohhhhhhhhhhh! 

I point this Out because The Golf Channel has Rooting Against Tiger Woods for a Very Long Time and here is a 15 ¼ YEAR Snap Shot of That! 
Sergio was supposed to Win a Lot of Majors and Challenge Tiger Woods as the Game's Best according to The Golf Channel. They kissed his Behind and Dumped on Tiger as they Continue to do today. 

But here is what happened. 
Since that PGA Championship Win in 1999, Tiger's 2nd Major. 
Tiger has Gone on to Win 12 More Majors to 0 for Sergio Garcia. 
Tiger has Gone on to Win 17 More World Golf Championships to 0 for Sergio Garcia 
Tiger has Gone on to Win 60 More PGA Tour Tournaments to 8 for Sergio Garcia. 

Sergio Garcia let's face it. 
Has been a Bust! 

He's 35 Years Old Now yet he is still treated like a litte Kid? He is 4 years younger than Tiger yet Tiger is Treated Like and Old Man. 

Sergio has 0 Majors for his ENTIRE CAREER! 
Sergo has 0 World Golf Championships for his Entire Career! 

He's Mr. Fried Chicken! 
Mr. S'pit in the Golf Hole Cup! 

He is an Overrated Under Achieving Bust! 
He reminds me of Jordan Spieth! 

Stay Tuned... 

Remember that? 
That was 15 ¼ Years Ago. 

Sergio was The Tiger Slayer was what the Golf Channel was Trying to Sell to The World. He Pointed at Tiger on the 17th Hole in the Final Rd... Ohhhhhhhhhhh! 

I point this Out because The Golf Channel has Rooting Against Tiger Woods for a Very Long Time and here is a 15 ¼ YEAR Snap Shot of That! 
Sergio was supposed to Win a Lot of Majors and Challenge Tiger Woods as the Game's Best according to The Golf Channel. They kissed his Behind and Dumped on Tiger as they Continue to do today. 

But here is what happened. 
Since that PGA Championship Win in 1999, Tiger's 2nd Major. 
Tiger has Gone on to Win 12 More Majors to 0 for Sergio Garcia. 
Tiger has Gone on to Win 17 More World Golf Championships to 0 for Sergio Garcia 
Tiger has Gone on to Win 60 More PGA Tour Tournaments to 8 for Sergio Garcia. 

Sergio Garcia let's face it. 
Has been a Bust! 

He's 35 Years Old Now yet he is still treated like a litte Kid? He is 4 years younger than Tiger yet Tiger is Treated Like and Old Man. 

Sergio has 0 Majors for his ENTIRE CAREER! 
Sergo has 0 World Golf Championships for his Entire Career! 

He's Mr. Fried Chicken! 
Mr. S'pit in the Golf Hole Cup! 

He is an Overrated Under Achieving Bust! 
He reminds me of Jordan Spieth! 

Stay Tuned... 

He's 35 Years Old Now yet he is still treated like a litte Kid? 
Stay Tuned... 

So, what's his point?

Lots of skill, but seems to blow up at the worst possible times. Overrated doesn't seem like the right word for  him, although "bust" does seem apt.

"Disappointing career" also fits.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Greg Norman, based on his TV air time (particular on CBS events) and his persona you would expect to find a record that is second only to the Tigers or Jacks of this world.

But...... he played at a time when the European tour took over for the PGA tour as primary home of the World's best - Faldo and Seve were contemporaries with better records than Norman's and his record on the PGA tour is identical to Bernhard Langer's on the Euro tour (except that Langer had to deal with Faldo and Seve) and both won two majors.

If you are objective it's very hard to put Norman in the top 40 all time and there are many who think he's a top 20.  By playing record he's closer to not making the top 50.

Outstanding player, should be in the Hall of Fame but not close to a Mount Rushmore type -

I would agree with Barbajo that baring some change Sergio is closer to a bust than over rated.

I know that this one will get me creamed but Freddie Couples belongs on the over rated list as well.  Like Norman great persona but his playing record while good isn't close to great - 1 major = Hall of Fame?  Wow - of course we've had this debate/discussion in other places at other times here.

Please note that these opinions do not reflect the way that I feel about either player personally.  I happen to like one of the two, Norman and Couples, a lot.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How should we factor injuries into overrated and underrated?  Couples' back problems derailed what could have been a brilliant career.  Guys like Weisskopf or Norman didn't have injuries like that, and as far as I know, neither has Sergio.

Should a player who never lived up to the hype due to injury fall into the same category?

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

"He is an Overrated Under Achieving Bust! 
He reminds me of Jordan Spieth!"

Sergio was overrated early in his career, maybe because of all the hype, and I agree that he has under-achieved based on his ball striking skills.  I believe that is has been Sergio's attitude that has always gotten in his way.  Remember when he lost the Open Championship?  The gods were against him?  How negative!  However, I think he is mellowing, and I think he is ready to finally win a major.  I never liked him, but now I seem to be rooting for him.  See what age does for a man!!

I think the Jordan Spieth reference is a cheap shot.  Yes people are expecting a lot out of Jordan because he has been a very consistent player, but let him get a few years of tour experience and a chance to shape his future before making that comparison, Please!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm with Kenny on this one. While I agree that Sergio has been a bust, I'm not sure where Jordan Spieth can even remotely be compared to Sergio.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Isn't it a bit too early to judge Spieth's career?  My Lord talk about instant gratification.  He's been on tour two and a half years and he hasn't won a major yet!  What's wrong with that kid?  (Sarcasm)

I read over rated and I think how is the player regarded based on reputation.  I'm not saying that Freddie didn't have a world of talent I'm saying and will continue to say that he should get into the Hall of Fame like I do - by buying a ticket - based upon his playing career.  Of course his injuries held him back but I'm basing my assessment on other people's opinion of him.

I almost mentioned Weisskopf but I don't know that he is over rated.  Most people don't remember him as a player anymore (he was a very good one with a beautiful swing but certainly never lived up to his reputation.) 

Here's a popular one - How about Johnny Miller as over rated?  Very good player, better record than Fred, way, way better, but he has parlayed a great round and lots of wins in early season events on easier courses (when the big boys weren't even playing) into a great career/reputation.

Billy Caspar was a light years more accomplished player than Miller but until his death many had not even heard of him.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Poulter (great in match play but a nobody in stroke play) and Mike Weir (he rode his Masters win for decades and the commentators seemed to wet themselves every time he played in a tournament, even long after his game left him).

Honestly, Tiger is getting there now.  He isnt the player he once was, yet everyone seems like act like its a given that he's going to figure it out and still beat Jack's record.  Personally, Im of the mind that until he faces the fact that the problem is his mental game, he's never going to come back.  He can go through all the swing coaches he wants but what he needs is a therapist, not a swing coach.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I almost mentioned Weisskopf but I don't know that he is over rated.  Most people don't remember him as a player anymore (he was a very good one with a beautiful swing but certainly never lived up to his reputation.) 

Here's a popular one - How about Johnny Miller as over rated?  Very good player, better record than Fred, way, way better, but he has parlayed a great round and lots of wins in early season events on easier courses (when the big boys weren't even playing) into a great career/reputation.

Interesting that you mentioned Miller -- I thought of him to and looked up his record on Wikipedia.  HIs stretch from '73 to '76 was pretty darned impressive, including 8 wins in '74, including the British Open.  For that time frame he was great - but he didn't maintain it like the true greats.  Still think is was cool that he won the ATT in '94, long after his heyday and pushing his 50th birthday. 

I think you're right - Weiskopf falls into the coulda-shoulda-woulda category.  His resume's about the same as Sergio's, with a major to boot...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Tiger -

This is of all time I thought -

Tiger is top 3 all time and that's really pushing Bobby Jones' record - I doubt you'd ever get anyone to rate Tiger outside of top 2 so it's pretty hard to call him over rated.  The question is can he get back to form.  I don't think so but that's a different topic.

My point on Miller is that Barbajo - he had this stretch that he's remembered for but what about before and after and where does that leave him on the all time list verses perception.  I'm not sure.  That's why I'd offer his name here. 

BTW for those who want to think about head cases Miller blamed chopping too much wood fro his decline.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Greg Norman, based on his TV air time (particular on CBS events) and his persona you would expect to find a record that is second only to the Tigers or Jacks of this world.

But...... he played at a time when the European tour took over for the PGA tour as primary home of the World's best - Faldo and Seve were contemporaries with better records than Norman's and his record on the PGA tour is identical to Bernhard Langer's on the Euro tour (except that Langer had to deal with Faldo and Seve) and both won two majors.

If you are objective it's very hard to put Norman in the top 40 all time and there are many who think he's a top 20.  By playing record he's closer to not making the top 50.

Outstanding player, should be in the Hall of Fame but not close to a Mount Rushmore type -

I would agree with Barbajo that baring some change Sergio is closer to a bust than over rated.

I know that this one will get me creamed but Freddie Couples belongs on the over rated list as well.  Like Norman great persona but his playing record while good isn't close to great - 1 major = Hall of Fame?  Wow - of course we've had this debate/discussion in other places at other times here.

Please note that these opinions do not reflect the way that I feel about either player personally.  I happen to like one of the two, Norman and Couples, a lot.

I came here thinking Greg Norman. 

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Interesting that you mentioned Miller -- I thought of him to and looked up his record on Wikipedia.  HIs stretch from '73 to '76 was pretty darned impressive, including 8 wins in '74, including the British Open.  For that time frame he was great - but he didn't maintain it like the true greats.  Still think is was cool that he won the ATT in '94, long after his heyday and pushing his 50th birthday. 

I think you're right - Weiskopf falls into the coulda-shoulda-woulda category.  His resume's about the same as Sergio's, with a major to boot...

Miller is an interesting case  He should know all about the yips!  I wouldn't put him in the Overrated category, but I think he did underachieve.

Weiskopf and Sergio have a lot in common, sadly including their attitude and temper.  The great players are better at controlling their emotions.  I had lunch with Weiskopf at the club at TPC Scottsdale back in 1993... well, he sat at the next table.   :blush:   He was an ass then.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wouldn't put him in the Overrated category, but I think he did underachieve.

Now there's an interesting conversation -- there's overrated, and then there's underachieving.  Two completely different things...one is people think you're better than you really are, the other is you didn't live up to your potential.  

Miller and Weiskopf certainly underachieved -- Sergio?  Good question - but I'm going with overrated.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thing about Sergio is, I think he knows he's not fulfilled his potential.

Spieth? Crikey that's harsh, the lads not been around long.

You can't judge if someone's over rated till the second half of their career at least I suppose.

Norman is both over rated and let's face it a bit prone to bottling it.

Harsh on Poulter, not sure he was ever that highly rated! Although you have to respect his ability to make money out of trousers. Poults ain't that good but he's made a living and when his putter is hot - wow.

From Europe you'd have to say Donald and Westwood - both these guys have awesome swings and have been world number 1; I like both of them very much but I don't see them winning a major. Oh and how about Monty?

From the states, where's anthony Kim? See other thread!

In 3 years time Fowler had better have won something or I shall be bringing it up a lot on this website.....

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

This is proving to be a Trickier thread than at first blush.  I agree with the definitions that Barbajo offers.  By those its possible to be both over rated and an under achiever but lets not even go there.

I loved Bones' comment about Sergio - I was thinking that it doesn't seem to matter which game he brings he finds a way to loose the big ones.  Whether its A,B or C - great players win enough that even the times they've lost go down in lore - see Nicklaus "loosing" the US Open to Tom Watson's great chip in - when you have 18 of the things you don't talk about a fluke or bad break when you loose one.

For me the most over rated has to be Norman - he's just no where near as good as the media or many casual fans make him out to be

I'm not as sure on Donald or Westwood or Monty - it's certainly disappointing that have not (did not) won a major but are the over rated?  I'd have to defer to someone who lives in Europe - here they are very good players who haven't or couldn't break through.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's hard to say someone is overrated when they made it to the #1 ranking in the entire world.  You can't rate much better than that.  For Donald and Westy at least I would say they've underachieved in the Majors, but they aren't overrated.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

You could also argue that Sergio suffered from timing. He joins the fray as Tiger is hitting his stride and is never able to compete because he wasn't as good as Tiger.

If Tiger isn't there then he could have been more successful, lots of golfers could have been. Of course if Tiger isn't there then he's not going to get the label of being the "Tiger Killer" either.

With the media looking to grab headlines they are quick to promote promising talent as the next great thing all the time. Every year or two we have the next great golfer joining the tour.

He certainly is no longer overrated, I much prefer underachiever to overrated in most cases as to me overrated implies that someone or thing gets too much credit for their accomplishments.

Overrated to me would be if Sergio was considered one of the top 10 golfers of all time. But he's not, and barring a massive slew of wins including majors never will be.

So since no one considers him that or even close to that then in my mind he failed to live up to perceived potential.

I like the above mentioned Greg Norman comparison. If you look at his accomplishments vs where he's held in most people's minds it doesn't add up. You could say the same for Fred Couples.

If you ask most people they would both rank highly on the list of best golfers of all time, when in reality their accomplishments just don't back up where most people have them. That is overrated.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I don't believe that the golf channel has ever or will ever "root" against Tiger, what they have always wanted is someone to challenge Tiger consistently back In his prime, because even they knew that in order for people to watch golf, they needed a story, and the same old same old with Tiger this and Tiger that was not going to get people to watch. There have been many busts in golf, guys with ridiculous talent, but we're never able to turn it in to greatness on the course, there are great people in golf, Freddie, Norman, Sergio, Jacobson, Janzen, Sutton, the list goes on, but if you only look at their major accomplishments you will miss out on how try great these guys are/were for the fame of golf.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Perhaps not Monty, he did dominate europe for a decade. But isn't that a great definition of over rated for Donald and Westwood?

Rated number 1 but without winning what we'd consider the biggest tournaments?

I think highly of them, but it's always seemed perverse to me you could get to number 1 without a major or two in your pocket.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

What's with the shot at Speith anyway? How ridiculous. He's just getting started. Who knows what he'll do in the years to come. That's the comment of a very small person behind a keyboard to take a shot like that.

I agree with this statement.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My personal favorite golfer is Sergio, and yes he's an underachiever. He's a loser, and a sore one at that. But how many of us have hit the flag stick and watched the ball run away, like he did. I've hit many "miracle" shots and remember that feeling and comparing it to Sergio's moment. I just love a lovable loser sometimes.

Fowler up until this year was by far my least favorite and I also considered him an overrated golfer. But then he really turned it on and I gained a new respect for him after his story became public. Villegas is an easy target because GD and Golf Mag fawned over his physique while ignoring his ugly numbers but he deserves it. Norman is a tough one. The best not to win one? Does that make you overrated?

Can't think of any others.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived