Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Stop the madness, play from the right tee!

Rusty1885

There's such a simple solution. Guys egos aren't going so change the course set up. 2 sets of tees out, forward and back. Forward at 5500, back at 6200. If you show up with a letter from your pro you are allowed to use the back tee boxes.

But on the card the back tees will say 6500.

Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I say play the tees commensurate to your abilities. Right now, that tee box would need to be right next to the green for me, lol ha ha ha :(

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I play from the whites because that is the one that fits my handicap the best. Usually people will play down with me if I know them, a lot of the time even random pairings will play down if I tell them my intent to play from the whites--I think there is a perception that it speeds up play if everyone plays from the same tee which is probably counter to the intent.

I've played a round where I was the only one playing whites and the other 3 played blue, not a big deal.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

In my earlier post I mentioned that all courses in my area, and generally most courses anywhere, the White tees or member tees are typically between 5900-6200.  For whatever reason my course sets the Blue tees at 6100 and the White tees at 5400.  When guys show up at the course that have never been there before, most of them go for White tee because that is what they are used to playing.  As a single I have been paired up with some young dudes with fair swings that said they were playing from the White tees; I play the Blue tees.  They had a good time, and the round was a lot faster than it would have been if they had played the Blues.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There's such a simple solution. Guys egos aren't going so change the course set up. 2 sets of tees out, forward and back. Forward at 5500, back at 6200. If you show up with a letter from your pro you are allowed to use the back tee boxes.

But on the card the back tees will say 6500.

Problem solved

Seinfeld had a bit about if he was a super hero, his super power would be to decide which people are allowed to have kids. I think we need some super heroes whose super power is to decide who plays from what tee box.

They can form a team. Guardians of the Golf Galaxy--probably would need to pay some royalties to a couple of different parties on that name.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

What they should do is put the recommend tees for handicap in stead of age related. I was at a course that the Marshall asked your handicap or average score a told you what tee to use. If you didn't like it he said the course would refund your fees. Help with pace of game.

Your course is set up similar to mine except we don't have that 7000y tee box. Most courses around here have the White tees around 6100y, but our 6100y set of tees are Blue which is where I play.

However, we can't call the White tees senior or the Red tees women's, because many women play from the White tees and some of the older seniors play from the Red tees.

Most member tournaments for men are played from the Blue tees, but men are also allowed to play from the White tees if their age + course HCP is 90 or above. I played with a guy today that can kick my ass playing from the White tees at 84 years old, and I can outdrive him on many holes (which isn't saying much)

84 years d playing from 6100 yards! . Give that stud a cold beer !!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Played today with single, and a twosome. The twosome are long mid/high handicap hitter, and the single, clearly a high handicap, whom I shared the cart. Three of them were hitting from the blue tee, I'm hitting from the white.

The two guys at least crushed it out there, but the kid(mid 20's) with waist high backswing duck hook or top all but one tee shots losing a ball on every hole To the thick tall rough around the tee box. I asked him after a few holes if he'd like to join me on the white tee, he said no he needs to play from the blue with the guys.

Clearly, it's not just a typical I need to see everything playing from the tip, it's peer pressure mix with mild ego. I wouldn't care that much normally but he tried to find every lost balls and not pick up when he's approach double digit on a hole. It was affecting my game. He probably shot about 130 give and take a few.

I don't get it, he'd rather be embarrassed about topping the ball 50 feet than playing from closer tee. I can tolerate many types of characters on the course but this came close to blowing my lid. It's patently stupid.

Sorry for the rant.

Amen brother. A 210 yd. second shot on a par 4 isn't my idea of fun. I see those young guy groups all the time. Seems like pro shop could ask for proof of handicap. If you don't have one, no tips for you. Pro shop notifies starter, starter starts them on regular men's tees. Marshals make sure they stay on 'em. I've started and Marshaled. It can be done.

I don't think pro shop or Marshall can or should police that. If anything we do. It doesn't have to be anything forceful, just do what I did. I simply offered if he wanted to join me on the white tee. He might have declined this time but hopefully next time he pairs up with one of you he may take you up on it. Then we save one guy and just a couple millions more to go.

We can do it. I did it.

Just in case this reach any high handicappers here on the forum, I'd speak on the behalf of most if not all of the mid to low handicappers out there. We don't care how poor you play as long as you keep up and do your best to move along we are cool with that. You don't have to rush every shots you can take sometime and go through your routine.

What we hate to see is some noobs getting all macho and defensive about their game being worse than it looks, may be you have better success on the range but not on the course, it happens to everyone. We have all been there before and probably done worse. This is golf there's no such thing as perfection only the pursuit of it. If it's easy it'd be a video game. Play well.

84 years d playing from 6100 yards! . Give that stud a cold beer !!

No, No... I was playing from the 6100y; he was playing from 5400y.  I could outdrive him on some holes, but he still kicked my ass.  Oh, maybe you were calling me a stud and giving me a cold beer?  ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No, No... I was playing from the 6100y; he was playing from 5400y.  I could outdrive him on some holes, but he still kicked my ass.  Oh, maybe you were calling me a stud and giving me a cold beer?  ;)

I'll sit down and drink a cold beer with you anytime Kenny B :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

The Judge and I were at our home course last fall and some kids(early 20's) teeing off from the Pros, and not clearing the ladies tees, we played through but come on.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

My wife and I are waiting for a twosome getting ready to tee off. After they're done with their orange whip routine they tee off the back (pro) tees and both of them blast their golf balls into the water adjacent to the ladies tee. They then move along like nothing happened and drop 2 on the fairway.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I just keep walking to the next hole when I find players on the back tees that should be on the range. I like 6100 - 6300 range of tees. Whites in Orange County. But I will play whatever the group prefers. Gives me a different look & different clubs on the approach shot. Makes the game more interesting IMHO.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Preach on. I turned down playing the tips on Wednesday at Southern Highlands because I realize my game is not in form to handle 7600 yards. The other factor was my playing partners would have felt the need to head back there and it would have been a long day. The blues at 7000 were just fine.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I normally will play blues, occasionally blacks. One of my buds isn't as long so he likes the whites. So I just play them too. On shorter holes I'll tee off with something less than driver.

It's all good, and I don't mind seeing the track from different places.plus the par 5's are suddenly in range in 2 so I get to see what Dustin Johnson feels like.

Everyone is so worried about what other people think these days. If they only knew that the other people really don't give a donkeys ass what you do...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Nothing irritates me more than people playing from the wrong tee box.

An earlier comment mentioned the labels we've placed on the tee boxes as a contributing factor and I totally agree. I hate that the forward tees are called "ladies" tees.

I was in a club with mostly seniors. These 80 yr old men refused to play the forward tees because of their ego and "not being a woman". I'm 50 years their junior and they want to play the same tee as me! They're hitting driver, fairway metal, wedge on almost all the par 4s! I ended up leaving the club. The 5-6 hour rounds were unbearable

When you look at Tour pros a good drive is usually rewarded with a wedge or short iron on most holes. I don't know why amateurs think hitting driver-4iron on every hole is a good thing.

And for those of you who play the wrong box because you "hate hitting wedges" the solution is to get better at your wedges. The math indicates that a wedge will more times than not be much closer to the pin than a long or mid iron .

I'm a high handicapper who can hit my driver a decent ways. I usually play one back from the forward tees because I can't break 80 and most days struggle to break 90. If I can't even clear those hurdles why should I put more distance between me and the hole? That's absurd.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

I love my wedges, I carry 5 wedges. I can hit my pw as long as my 9i or even normal 8i if needed, but is not a power clubs.

Most high handicappers hit their 4i the same distance as their 6i and 5i for that matter with much poorer results. They better off hitting hybrids or fairway woods. I don't have enough frequent uses of the 4i and 5i I took them out. My wife odyssey chipper is more useful in the bag than those.

If they only realize the truth and put the right clubs for their game in the bag and play the right tee, they'll have good time like some of us:)

I had forgotten about this...

https://www.usga.org/teeitforward/

There's also a link to video by Nicklaus once you get there.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I normally play as a single and am most comfortable from the blue tees, depending on the course. That being said, since I am a single I usually defer to the people I am joining. I played last Thursday and Friday, one day from white the other from black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mentality of why I play the whites and not the backs even though I have the power to play back there is that if I am still a 16ish handicap from the whites, then I have no reason to try and play a harder tee if I can't score well from the whites. My dad shares the same thoughts about the blue tees.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Golf in general is a challenge, don't need to make it any harder.  Play within yourself and keep pace with your group and everyone on the course.  Occasionally, I will play from the tips if the course is dead and the person I am partnered with plays from the tips as well.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

This is probably my biggest frustration with golf. I have been stuck behind foursomes playing one in from the tips who are clearly better suited to one in from the front. Plus taking both an unnecessary amount of practice swings and time reading greens drives me nuts. I have even seen foursomes playing from the tips where they were pulling driver on par 3's.

I would love to know if any marshals ever step in to stop this insanity at other courses?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Does a marshall ever step in anywhere?? All I ever see them doing is telling the group 4 back from the problem to speed up.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Mid capper here that normally plays, at sea level, in the 6100 yard range but I am comfortable up to 6300 plus. I start to feel stretched at 6500. I will occasionally play at 6500 when I'm on a good driving run but it's rare and done to test game. My total driver distance averages around 250. I have played with lots of people who play one or two sets of tees behind me and don't make up the difference between the tee blocks and don't score either. Like others, will move up a set of tees if entire group is playing from there but rarely move back just because the rest are playing there.

First time I played in Albuquerque I played the white tees despite the altitude. Moved back for subsequent rounds as it played even shorter then I expected.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mid capper here that normally plays, at sea level, in the 6100 yard range but I am comfortable up to 6300 plus. I start to feel stretched at 6500. I will occasionally play at 6500 when I'm on a good driving run but it's rare and done to test game. My total driver distance averages around 250. I have played with lots of people who play one or two sets of tees behind me and don't make up the difference between the tee blocks and don't score either. Like others, will move up a set of tees if entire group is playing from there but rarely move back just because the rest are playing there.

First time I played in Albuquerque I played the white tees despite the altitude. Moved back for subsequent rounds as it played even shorter then I expected.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Pretty much spot on here.  give me 6300+/- yards and I don't care if the tee markers are pink.

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

There is a formula using how far you hit your 7iron and the avg length of par 3s on a course. Saw it in the golf channel during their tee it forward campaign.

Does anyone remember what it was or know what I'm talking about?

I do remember those days. When I was a mean 30 handicap playing from the tips. But I wasn't topping the ball mostly just a bad slice. But I was fun and fast.

Nowadays I play from where ever the majority of people in my group are playing. Tips,blues, whites. I actually play worse the closer I get. Don't understand it.

I play a bunch of golf for my job and I have to play with some bad golfers. I use these times for mental prep. Trying to learn to concentrate on the next shot and keep negative things out of my head

Archived