So you think you practice?

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

As I mentioned in a quick status update late last week, I was playing in a scramble at Capital Hills at Albany in the hours before they closed the course down for a week to prepare to host the Duramed Futures Tour. A couple of the ladies were already on site, and I have to say I was amazed by the amount of practice these women were putting in.

Because of where we started, we basically made the turn (near the practice green) twice. As we made our way to the first tee, a couple of girls were already out putting. When we made the turn the first time (just under 2 hours later), the same girls were hitting bunker shots on the same practice green. When we made the turn the 2nd time, the same two girls were hitting chip shots. We finished up about an hour later, and the same girls were still on the green, still hitting chip shots. We were eating for about 15 minutes when they both worked their way over to the range to start hitting full shots. When I left an hour and half later, they were still there.

The effort they put in just to have a shot at the LPGA was pretty amazing. If only I had the time (or the ability)...

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Great point, T.

Also, I think it's important to note where they spent those hours: around the green. My practice time is easily 90% short game, and it allows me to keep a reasonably low handicap even when I don't get to play much or when I have a bad ball striking day.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Great point, T.

Also, I think it's important to note where they spent those hours: around the green. My practice time is easily 90% short game, and it allows me to keep a reasonably low handicap even when I don't get to play much or when I have a bad ball striking day.

Amen

Great point, T.

Agreed Matt. You can still have a great round once you get the ball around the green if you know what to do from there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just like we put in 8-10 hours at the office they put in the same time at the course. Remember it's their "job" ha - ha. I played the mini tours for a few years, and would put at least 8 hours in a day at the course.

It was difficult at time, but you just need to remind yourself it's better than most jobs :blink:

A few years back we did testing with Couples and just changing drivers took two 9 hour days of testing to get it perfect in his mind and ours.

THE CLUB FIX

Proud Sponsor of MyGolfSpy

www.TheClubFix.com

Offering: Whitlam Gauge Design, Miura, Kyoei Forged, Scratch, Adams, Bridgestone, Tourstage, Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Cleveland, Mizuno, Simpac, Yonex, Onoff, Srixon, Honma, Fourteen, Nike, Mitsubishi, Aldila, Accra, KB Tour, True Temper, Aerotech Steelfiber, Rifle, Project X, Graphite Design, Oban, Fierce, Grafalloy, Fujikura, just ask me I can get it ;)

My email: [email protected]

Feel free to email me any golf questions and I'll be happy to get back to you.

Yup, that sounds about right. I know when I was making the jump to pro for footie my training went to something like 8 hours of field/gym time and 2 to 3 hours of video a day. Unfortunately no one pays me to do that for golf so I'm stuck with 2 hours, 4 days a week :) . Silly non golf job, what's that about really...

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Just like we put in 8-10 hours at the office they put in the same time at the course. Remember it's their "job" ha - ha. I played the mini tours for a few years, and would put at least 8 hours in a day at the course.

It was difficult at time, but you just need to remind yourself it's better than most jobs :rolleyes:

A few years back we did testing with Couples and just changing drivers took two 9 hour days of testing to get it perfect in his mind and ours.

I think it's a matter of quality and not quantity. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people here who spend so much time and effort making a living that they don't have time to make money.

It's equally true in Golf. It's not a matter of spending a lot of hours practicing, but more a matter of what are you practicing and learning today. I got busted up bad in a match for my club championship many years ago because the guy had a way superior short game. The next day I spent the day practicing nothing but the short game and that was a beginning of what turned out to be a very long odyssey. Putting cost me more time too.

Do your practice correctly and you find you neither have the time nor energy for all the things that need learning, but it's fun anyways so you try.

Shambles

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a matter of quality and not quantity. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people here who spend so much time and effort making a living that they don't have time to make money.

It's equally true in Golf. It's not a matter of spending a lot of hours practicing, but more a matter of what are you practicing and learning today. I got busted up bad in a match for my club championship many years ago because the guy had a way superior short game. The next day I spent the day practicing nothing but the short game and that was a beginning of what turned out to be a very long odyssey. Putting cost me more time too.

Do your practice correctly and you find you neither have the time nor energy for all the things that need learning, but it's fun anyways so you try.

Shambles

Well put...After a few seasons of very limited practice time, I promised myself to work on my short game this spring and spent many hours working on my chipping, pitching and especially putting. Not a coincidence that I had my best summer in years on the course.

Archived