mbrodeur86

Your best golf psychology tips please

Sometimes you can set yourself up for failure.  

I have a bad habit of remembering shots I've had on a particular hole.  For some reason the good shots are not as "memorable" as the bad ones.  When I play alone or with my wife, I don't have an issue, but when playing with others, particularly when playing with someone who hasn't played the course, I will make small talk conversation.  It usually goes like this: "For some reason on this hole, my tendency is to hit the ball down the right side of the fairway."  The right side of the fairway is no good, particularly if I miss hit it even a little.  Guess what?  That's where I hit it.  You can talk yourself into a golf shot, so be careful and talk yourself into the good shots.

• Like 2

Sometimes you can set yourself up for failure.

I have a bad habit of remembering shots I've had on a particular hole. For some reason the good shots are not as "memorable" as the bad ones. When I play alone or with my wife, I don't have an issue, but when playing with others, particularly when playing with someone who hasn't played the course, I will make small talk conversation. It usually goes like this: "For some reason on this hole, my tendency is to hit the ball down the right side of the fairway." The right side of the fairway is no good, particularly if I miss hit it even a little. Guess what? That's where I hit it. You can talk yourself into a golf shot, so be careful and talk yourself into the good shots.

I know this feeling. I play the same courses a lot and there are a few of these holes. I have been going to every hole thinking about where I want the ball not the bad shots. Once my playing partner starts saying I hate this hole I have to zone out. If I don't and join in on the conversation I'm a goner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I know this feeling. I play the same courses a lot and there are a few of these holes. I have been going to every hole thinking about where I want the ball not the bad shots. Once my playing partner starts saying I hate this hole I have to zone out. If I don't and join in on the conversation I'm a goner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Your right about “zone out” the negative vibes!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Whenever I have tough situations including teeing off on #1 playing 'eye of the tiger' for me does it for me . If seems to diminish the negative head game for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'm sorry that I missed this when it originally came out - this was a brutal summer for me so I had weeks where I was out...

I've just read through it - lots of good advice I'm sure. My favorite was Jaskanski's - stay within yourself.

I would add that this includes pre round stuff - if you normally arrive at the course ten minutes before you tee off don't change - if it's forty five minutes or an hour or whatever try to follow your normal routine.

Also as prep for next year seek out competitive golf opportunities - the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Finally don't get outside of your game plan because of what others are doing - if it's to hit hybrid off the tee on a certain hole and they hit driver - let them - stick to your game plan and just add the score up at the end. You may be surprised at the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

What I've learned by making every mental mistake possible:

- Play each shot without regard for the last. One bad shot doesn't have to lead to another, but I see people string together 2-3 bad shots because they hurry/stop making good decisions. I'm not that good but I had a 39 once with a 9 on one hole - I'll never forget that lesson.

- You can only control what you do, so ignore what others do as much as you can. I'm usually not aware of what others are scoring, other than the occasional spectacular hole/shot - and I don't want to know. Unless you're Michael Jordan, you're better off not knowing how the competition is faring.

- Be patient and think before each shot, but don't overthink. Especially true when putting for many. Short putts don't need more or less focus when you're playing a tournament, you have to trust yourself and don't let it throw you when you do miss, it happens to everyone. I watch people talk themselves into bad shots/putts all the time.

- Berating yourself (even silently) never helps, you're going to have some bad, even stupid shots. I've also watched people berate themselves for holes on end, and it never helps them perform. The round inevitably goes from bad to worse.

Again, I know these mistakes because I've made them all before I realized they were hurting my game.

• Like 3