Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Arthritis

tommc23

I'm getting osteoarthritis in my fingers due to many years of abuse...both taking and receiving in my previous life. They're were swollen and sore.

My Doctor (Doogie...we're the same age but he looks 12) suggested I start taking Glucosamine Chondroitin. I've been doing that for close to a year and there's now virtually no pain and the swelling is reduced.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

OK -- for all you other aching guys I very highly recommend trying an MSM creme.

I've been taking MSM tablets on and off for a lot of years .. and have been 'on' again this year .. double dose .. and recently bought some MSM creme to try.

Have previously tried other topicals like Blue Emu, Penetrex, Icy Hot, some other stuff with Lidocaine in it, etc etc.

Well for me this one is definitely helping!

attachicon.gifIMG_20170923_092232314.jpg

I might give this a try.  I've tried all of the topicals that you list without any relief.  

I've actually been considering a THC-A CBD topical cream.  A suspicious character that I used to play golf with was selling it a few years ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm getting osteoarthritis in my fingers due to many years of abuse...both taking and receiving in my previous life. They're were swollen and sore.

My Doctor (Doogie...we're the same age but he looks 12) suggested I start taking Glucosamine Chondroitin. I've been doing that for close to a year and there's now virtually no pain and the swelling is reduced.

I took that many years ago for quite a few years; big bottles at Costco.  I never noticed much change, but if it works... great!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have a couple of good buds that were what some label, natural athletes.   Accordingly in their youth they played multiple sports, some of which were contact sports.  Through my conversations with them, it appears that they sustained multiple sports injuries as well.  Me, on the other hand, was not even close to being a natural athlete.  My participation in organized sports was limited to baseball.  Such was only through high school as well (I don't know how, but I made and played on my high school team), my buds on the other hand, played through the college level.  One played football the other soccer.  

Unfortunately, age has a way of catching up with you, and their injuries of youth now affect them significantly.   It appears that those injuries have now resulting in some form of arthritis.   Having not experienced any serious sports injuries, I am only hampered by the typical aging process.  Knock on wood, currently, I show no signs of arthritis.     While I truly hate what is happening to my buds, I must admit that I don't feel as bad about not having natural abilities during my youth.

I might give this a try. I've tried all of the topicals that you list without any relief.

I've actually been considering a THC-A CBD topical cream. A suspicious character that I used to play golf with was selling it a few years ago.

CBD oils are getting very popular; a friend who's into all that natural / homeopathic stuff recommended it to me, too. Note you should be able to find some without the THC component (or, unless that is what you want!).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Of course you should see your doctor on this one. Mine sent me to PT and the PT had me do the ABC exercise - sit in a chair and trace the alphabet with both feet. I still do it often. It does help.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What really sucks, it's getting that time of the year when all this gets 10x worse. Or at least it does for me. People ask me why I swing so hard, I tell em because one of these days I won't be able to. Pins, screws, and plates in my right leg. I know one of these days it won't twist like it should. For now all I need is a chiropractor once or twice a month.

CobraConnectChallenge3

What really sucks, it's getting that time of the year when all this gets 10x worse. Or at least it does for me. People ask me why I swing so hard, I tell em because one of these days I won't be able to. Pins, screws, and plates in my right leg. I know one of these days it won't twist like it should. For now all I need is a chiropractor once or twice a month.

No question cool and damp is the worst! I know my right knee - and I'm guessing your leg, also - lets me know about two days before an impending large low pressure system is moving in.....

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Interesting. I'd thought ibuprofen was more of an anti-inflammatory vs naproxen as more of a general pain reliever.

(Kids: now you see what happens when you're not a real doctor but try to play one on TV )

Aleve and ibuprofen are both nsaids, and are metabolized in the kidneys, so should never be mixed. They work as anti-inflammatories which fights the arthritis pain. There are also serious concerns about heart damage with nsaids. Of note- Tylenol (acetaminophen) is metabolized in the liver, and so can be "piggybacked' with ibuprofen, but do not drink alcohol while using acetaminophen!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

It's funny that you don't see any young bucks in this thread. . Their time is coming

How young is a "young buck" wouldjya say?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

How young is a "young buck" wouldjya say?

I'm thinking under 40 would qualify ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm thinking under 40 would qualify ;)

I was thinking under 65, just sayin.....

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

yea if they ain't drawing social security, they're still sucking hind tit :D 

Cleveland

yea if they ain't drawing social security, they're still sucking hind tit :D

Kinda way I was going.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Yeah well, I'm 46 and suffer.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I didn't start noticing it until late 50's. Luckily it's not that bad except for knees/Hip. Hands/fingers control with OTC drugs, mostly Aleve right now.

I've known folks who where in their teens with terrible arthritis pain.

Rick

Left Hand, 

After a rough 3 hour hunt covering 5 miles in thick woods I can feel the pain from my arthritis kicking in

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Was that for 9 or 18 holes?    :D

Sorry Mate.  If it will make you feel better, mine started about the same time give or take a couple of years, and I can still play golf at 70.

Was that for 9 or 18 holes? :D

LMAO!!!

Cleveland

Was that for 9 or 18 holes? :D

U beat me to that line...

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 3 years later...

So speaking of pain relief... a while back my wife stumbled while walking the dogs and went to see the orthopedist I'd seen for my hip; he prescribed her a topical NSAID creme diclofenac sodium.

Naturally I had to try it on all of my aches and pain points, and - it really seemed to help!

Now, with the obvious caveat that what works for one golf dude may not work for another...

..it turns out you can now buy a 1% version OTC under the brand name "Voltaren" ..

20201103_103053.jpg.df7b7acadfae8c28310c4a4d26282dae.jpg

If you've tried other topicals, ibuprofen, etc .. or even CBD .. and are still hurting consider giving this one a try.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I was buying this 10 years ago in Mexico every time we took a cruise. Nice stuff.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

5 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I was buying this 10 years ago in Mexico every time we took a cruise. Nice stuff.

With all Foz's aches and pains, if it's Foz-tested, Foz-approved, it must be good!!

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread, I also have ankle arthritis (I am under 40 years old) and after most rounds (I walk) I am limping the rest of the day. Currently I have FJ superlites which are, obviously, not great for my condition. I am trying to find the best shoes for this issue. I finally got fitted for insoles and hardcore running shoes that deal with my ankle instability (I don't run, this is purely for walking and living my life). I chatted with an FJ rep and they recommended SL Pros for pronation and cushion, Wondered if anyone else had any shoes they feel are very good for this kind of support. I love a traditional look but, at this point, I can't be picky about how they look. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

29 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Reviving an old thread, I also have ankle arthritis (I am under 40 years old) and after most rounds (I walk) I am limping the rest of the day. Currently I have FJ superlites which are, obviously, not great for my condition. I am trying to find the best shoes for this issue. I finally got fitted for insoles and hardcore running shoes that deal with my ankle instability (I don't run, this is purely for walking and living my life). I chatted with an FJ rep and they recommended SL Pros for pronation and cushion, Wondered if anyone else had any shoes they feel are very good for this kind of support. I love a traditional look but, at this point, I can't be picky about how they look. 

I also am under 40 with arthritis but I actually feel better after I walk a round than if I don’t. I hold up better with more exercise 

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

I also am under 40 with arthritis but I actually feel better after I walk a round than if I don’t. I hold up better with more exercise 

What shoes do you currently wear? I am debating using the running shoes I just bought (they are specific for my ankle weakness, arch and strike pattern) but I am not jazzed about wearing running shoes on the course long term. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

4 hours ago, vandyland said:

What shoes do you currently wear? I am debating using the running shoes I just bought (they are specific for my ankle weakness, arch and strike pattern) but I am not jazzed about wearing running shoes on the course long term. 

FJ hyperflex because they are light and give me traction