Jump to content
Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

2019 holds lots of promise for the coming golf season personally, but I see a bit of equipment work ahead...namely with my iron set.

Re-shafting my current set away from regular to stiff late last year (Aug/Sept) was a positive thing for me and I did see a better quality of shot being made more consistently right away. However I'm not done. These GMax's were built to the old PING color code and are set to a lie angle of 1.5* up designated by the yellow dot. The new color code chart does not have yellow dot as an option, and I was fitted with that chart to a lie of 2* up, or "green dot" specs.

This bothers me to no end and my first step to remedy it will be to send them all into PING to be adjusted and recertified for green dot specs. After that, I should hold no more excuses or have something that bugs me like having something in my hands that may not perform because it doesn't fit. This will not prevent me from looking for the next best thing however. One goal I have this year will be to compare these to the new PING offerings and see if they have something better suited for my evolving game. G400's? i500's? Sexy i210's? Who knows, but it should be a fun ride!

Anyone else in a similar boat? Are your irons "OK", but you'd ditch them in a heartbeat if something pops up that out performs them? Who else is in a tinkering mood?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with the iron changes and game improvement.  I am hoping to improve my ball striking with my irons to hit more greens and get better control of my ball flight.  Don't think that will result in any iron changes;  the C300 forged I tested last summer are still in my bag and I hit them well.   I just need to work on setup and consistent grip.    I think my bigger focus will be on the wedge game and trying to find the best wedges for me and understanding how grind may help me.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Good luck with the iron changes and game improvement.  I am hoping to improve my ball striking with my irons to hit more greens and get better control of my ball flight.  Don't think that will result in any iron changes;  the C300 forged I tested last summer are still in my bag and I hit them well.   I just need to work on setup and consistent grip.    I think my bigger focus will be on the wedge game and trying to find the best wedges for me and understanding how grind may help me.  

Sounds like a solid plan there for sure. Keep us updated on your progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Re-shafting my current set away from regular to stiff late last year (Aug/Sept) was a positive thing for me and I did see a better quality of shot being made more consistently right away. However I'm not done. These GMax's were built to the old PING color code and are set to a lie angle of 1.5* up designated by the yellow dot. The new color code chart does not have yellow dot as an option, and I was fitted with that chart to a lie of 2* up, or "green dot" specs.

This bothers me to no end and my first step to remedy it will be to send them all into PING to be adjusted and recertified for green dot specs. After that, I should hold no more excuses or have something that bugs me like having something in my hands that may not perform because it doesn't fit.

 

... Bending irons is not an exact science and a .5 + or - is well within a tolerated variance. Even forged irons can be finicky, especially very soft forgings that bend easily. So while I try and get my irons perfectly spec'ed, I am OK with .5 off in either lie or loft after a few attempts. One thing I learned when I first started bending irons was I could bend a full set, taking an hour of careful attention to detail to get them perfect, then check them all again and they could easily be off by .5 because seating the iron head in the LL machine can change everytime you do it. Further, two difference LL machines can give you two different readings with the same iron. 

... Now that said, they are your irons and of course you can do whatever you want if you are OCD or just expect perfection. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... Bending irons is not an exact science and a .5 + or - is well within a tolerated variance. Even forged irons can be finicky, especially very soft forgings that bend easily. So while I try and get my irons perfectly spec'ed, I am OK with .5 off in either lie or loft after a few attempts. One thing I learned when I first started bending irons was I could bend a full set, taking an hour of careful attention to detail to get them perfect, then check them all again and they could easily be off by .5 because seating the iron head in the LL machine can change everytime you do it. Further, two difference LL machines can give you two different readings with the same iron. 

... Now that said, they are your irons and of course you can do whatever you want if you are OCD or just expect perfection. 

Thank-you for that Bud! I'll leave the bending in the hands of the pros at PING and indeed look forward to using them afterward knowing they are set properly and can no longer have that excuse in by brain. Some lessons will be forthcoming too...Cheers!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely looking to purchase new irons in 2019.  I recently went through a 2 hour iron fitting and it came down to Mizuno JPX 919 Forged and Ping i500 in retro lofts.  Unfortunately I live in Wisconsin and the fitting was done indoors so I'm waiting for the outdoor demo days to start up in April/May before pulling the trigger on anything.  I was also on the fence between three different shaft choices, so it will be good to see ball flight with each set instead of just hitting into a screen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t mind getting something new- but they’ll have to be in some graphite’s, and preferably Steelfiber...

790’s, or I liked hitting those KZG blades, or maybe 919’s or the mp18 mixed set... so many options now, but I can’t say I don’t really love my ap2’s...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at testing the new F9 One Lengths in the next week or so. Talking of tinkering I’m thinking of getting them at 5 iron length and varying the length at which I play them but can’t find anyone who doesn’t think I’m bonkers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×