Shankster

FedEx Cup Playoffs

And yet another course record set today. JT shoots 61 to take the lead by 6.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dude was on ....

Streaky in past events like this, low round followed by a nasty score... maybe that was JS...?

Can he do it again tomorrow?
  • Like 3

Dude was on ....

Streaky in past events like this, low round followed by a nasty score... maybe that was JS...?

Can he do it again tomorrow?

Naw, just a mediocre 63

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I got home from the range, changed into some swim trunks, and jumped in the pool. I turned-on the tournament to watch the last few holes while I cooled off. I happened to turn it on JUST as JT made the eagle! I actually laughed out loud when he finished because Hideki shot the course record yesterday, and JT bests it by 2 one day later! I really like Thomas, but he’s SO streaky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

How these projections work, I’ll never know. We haven’t seen Lucas Glover’s name all year, and now because of the last two weeks, he’s showing as high as 8th next week.
Crazy.

• Like 1

Points are quadrupled come playoffs so it really gives anyone a chance to win as long as they a) make it to the playoffs and b) play really well when they get there.

How these projections work, I’ll never know. We haven’t seen Lucas Glover’s name all year, and now because of the last two weeks, he’s showing as high as 8th next week.
Crazy.

• Like 2

I'm still hoping to see a period of time where at least a handful or a seasons events are JT vs. JS shootout 👍.

• Like 3

One more. Wonder if we will get a -30 for the week, and winner?

How are the majors only worth pennies in relation to these playoffs points wise? Makes absolutely zero sense. Cheapens them if you ask me.

These playoff events suck compared to a lot of other tournaments.

• Like 4

How are the majors only worth pennies in relation to these playoffs points wise? Makes absolutely zero sense. Cheapens them if you ask me.

Love

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Maybe, but at least it's golf 😉.

• Like 2

A few take-a-ways from the weekend.  

• Adam Scott agrees with me!  Tour courses are mostly hot garbage!
  • Fox golf coverage is better than the rest and only getting better!  Just leave Bacon and Faxon in the booth for the US Open!
  • The Cohen Trolio hype has begun!
  • Andy Ogletree is the most Georia Tech looking golfer Georgia Tech has ever had!
  • The FedEx Cup playoffs are hot garbage!
  • How is the Korn Ferry Tour not televised every week?  It's far more compelling than the PGA Tour at the moment!
  • Please bring a Ryder Cup to Pinehurst!!!!!!!!!

That is all!

• Like 4

My sentiments exactly - I both get and like the shorter season, don’t mind the three tournament play off but the way they award playoff points and the course choices and set up for the playoffs are for the birds.

The points being awarded remind me of Drew Carey’s old show “Whose line is it anyway?” Only here the points matter and it’s a sham.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Shankster said:

Just to be certain, you do mean it cheapens the playoff events, right? 

In my opinion, the "playoffs" should factor in the majors in some way, shape or form.  But the Tour will never do that because they don't own or control the majors.  Majors are far more valuable than any regular Tour event.  Including a contrived "playoff" event.  And you're exactly right, several regular Tour events are significantly better than these terrible playoff events.

I just can't get into the FedEx Cup.  It feels too Nascar-ish to me.  I don't think a lot of the players would even play those events if they weren't paying out $15 million to the winner.  As I said in a previous post, the Korn Ferry events are far more compelling.  Those guys are playing for their livelihood.

• Like 3

Curious where you stand with the Bridgestone Contest?? 

• Like 2

Majors will always be the gold standard. That being said, the FedEx Cup playoffs are designed to reward season long excellence. The majors hand out 100 more points than standard events to the winner. The reason the playoff events quadruple points is to give the players who just make it to the playoffs a chance to make it to the Tour Championship and maybe potentially win it all. If they didn't multiply the points come playoffs, if 125 wins the first event, he might not even get into the BMW. Think of it like an 8 seed in the NBA or NHL or a 5 or 6 seed in the MLB or NFL winning the championship.

I think Adam Scott makes some fair points on the whole but Medinah isn't a walk in the park regularly. Until Friday the course record was 65. It's just environmental factors outside the control of the superintendents that led the course to be really soft. No matter the 7600+ yards or the narrow fairways or the 4 inch thick rough, it's just not going to stop these guys from going low when conditions are that soft.

Sure it would have helped if they could have had some more difficult tee shots but if the course was firm I doubt we'd have seen a course record set at all, let alone three days in a row.

A few take-a-ways from the weekend.  
  • Adam Scott agrees with me!  Tour courses are mostly hot garbage!
  • Fox golf coverage is better than the rest and only getting better!  Just leave Bacon and Faxon in the booth for the US Open!
  • The Cohen Trolio hype has begun!
  • Andy Ogletree is the most Georia Tech looking golfer Georgia Tech has ever had!
  • The FedEx Cup playoffs are hot garbage!
  • How is the Korn Ferry Tour not televised every week?  It's far more compelling than the PGA Tour at the moment!
  • Please bring a Ryder Cup to Pinehurst!!!!!!!!!
That is all!

• Like 1