Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Cleveland RTX 4 Wedges

Our Sponsors

Sorry for the garage pictures with dirt in the grooves.  

Love the wedges.   I think my ideal 60 would have been in between the Mid and Full front but I do love the Full

56C730A6-77AF-46B0-AB80-59F7314B51BF.jpeg

838FAE0F-54A7-4349-9FCD-0456F7B638F9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Great reviews and chatter about these pretty awesome wedges so far. I have the RTX-4 black finish in 52° mid, 56° mid and 60° low. Pictures showing wear after one full season of playing at least once week. I use my 56° the most, as you can see it has the most paint and scuff wear. Next would be my 52° and then there is my 60° that I seldom use, it got scuffed from hitting out of a bunker which probably had small pebbles in the sand Favorite wedge is my 56° which is very versatile, my 60° is strictly now used for flop shots over bunkers and and tight pins in dry weather, forget about playing in soft wet conditions as it digs to much for a steep wedge player. Love the feel and weight of these wedges even with the slightly smaller profile. Looking forward to your continued thoughts 20190829_200648.jpg20190829_200618.jpg20190829_200712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As promised launch monitor data!  I compared the 54* RTX 4 to a Vokey SM7 and the Ping Glide 3.0.  I didn't do it to my Ping Glide 2.0's since it's a 56*.  I did 5 full shots and 2 50 yard pitches.

1734377499_FullShot.png.c6f9304a59366406c31515d4b6b8f8a1.png

647399051_50YardShot.png.58ac265ea254b405ad9428689bba3ade.png

As you can see on the full shots the Vokey was spinning on average slightly higher than the RTX 4 with the Glide 3.0 not even standing a chance.  Moving to the 50 pitch shots, the Vokey was the CLEAR winner with the Ping actually beating out the RTX 4 just barely.  

I will say that the Vokey's did feel better on all of the shots compared to the RTX.  I feel that's to be expected with the RTX 4 being cast.  It was kind of fun to hole one of the 50 yard pitch shots out on the simulator!

• Like 3

As promised launch monitor data!  I compared the 54* RTX 4 to a Vokey SM7 and the Ping Glide 3.0.  I didn't do it to my Ping Glide 2.0's since it's a 56*.  I did 5 full shots and 2 50 yard pitches.

As you can see on the full shots the Vokey was spinning on average slightly higher than the RTX 4 with the Glide 3.0 not even standing a chance.  Moving to the 50 pitch shots, the Vokey was the CLEAR winner with the Ping actually beating out the RTX 4 just barely.  
I will say that the Vokey's did feel better on all of the shots compared to the RTX.  I feel that's to be expected with the RTX 4 being cast.  It was kind of fun to hole one of the 50 yard pitch shots out on the simulator!

You are aware that the titleist wedges are cast as well, correct?

Sent from OregonMyGolfSpy

40 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Yes I don't know where I saw it, but I thought the metal used was a softer metal than Cleveland something similar to the Ping Stealth wedges.

11 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Yes I don't know where I saw it, but I thought the metal used was a softer metal than Cleveland something similar to the Ping Stealth wedges.

Both are cast from 8620 Carbon steel.  The feel is relative.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oaks said:

Love the wedges.   I think my ideal 60 would have been in between the Mid and Full front but I do love the Full

dirt in the grooves shows use 😄

MDGolfHacker

13 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I want a retest on the 50 yard shots😄...seems kind of weird that the Vokey has over 1250 rpms more spin than the Cleveland RTX 4 on pitch shots.  It doesn't seem right to me.  I thought both were cast clubs ?

MDGolfHacker

12 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Ah...I just posted that as well...

13 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Both are cast from 8620 Carbon steel.  The feel is relative.  

Yep...it sure is.  I like the feel of both the Vokey and Cleveland wedges equally.  I didn't think one felt softer than the other.  Both felt great though!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

I can't compare to Vokey SM7's and granted my SM5's were showing their age,  but I think that the RTX4's spin as much if not more than my Vokeys.  

I also love the head weight and feel of the RTX's.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oaks said:

I can't compare to Vokey SM7's and granted my SM5's were showing their age,  but I think that the RTX4's spin as much if not more than my Vokeys.  

I also love the head weight and feel of the RTX's.  

I do feel that the Cleveland RTX 4's have a heavier head feel to me.  According to Titleist's website 46*-52* lofts are D3 swing weights while the RTX 4 lofts of 46*-48* are D3.  Stepping up to Vokey SW starting at 54* on up has a D5 Swing weight.  Meanwhile, the RTX 4 lofts of 50* & 52* are D4 and 54* on up are D5.

So in my current configuration I have the RTX 4 in the following lofts:

52* @ D4 (this is heavier than the Vokey SM7)

56* @ D5 (same swing weight as the Vokey SM7)

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I want a retest on the 50 yard shots😄...seems kind of weird that the Vokey has over 1250 rpms more spin than the Cleveland RTX 4 on pitch shots.  It doesn't seem right to me. 

I'll try to grab another test just on the 50 yard shots.  I was running out of time in my session so I wasn't able to hit as many as I would have liked to get a better sample size.

• Like 1

Today I was able to run back to my PGA SS to get back on the launch monitor for the retest of the 50 yard pitch shots.  I hit nothing but pitching shots for 30 minutes with the RTX 4 vs the Vokey SM7.  Below are the averages of that 30 minutes.  The results aren't as dramatic as the first test, but it still has Vokey at about 700 rpm higher than the RTX 4.  (Please note I was using 3 brand new Srixon Z-Star golf balls for this test.)

1613095818_50YardShot2ndTest.png.c2b429bd5b876caa26eeb8faa89a252f.png

On 8/29/2019 at 6:08 PM, oaks said:

chicks dig dirty grooves....ha ha ha...

MDGolfHacker

24 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

Today I was able to run back to my PGA SS to get back on the launch monitor for the retest of the 50 yard pitch shots.  I hit nothing but pitching shots for 30 minutes with the RTX 4 vs the Vokey SM7.  Below are the averages of that 30 minutes.  The results aren't as dramatic as the first test, but it still has Vokey at about 700 rpm higher than the RTX 4.  (Please note I was using 3 brand new Srixon Z-Star golf balls for this test.)

1613095818_50YardShot2ndTest.png.c2b429bd5b876caa26eeb8faa89a252f.png

@goaliewales14, dude, I was just kidding about the retest 😄   That number sounds a bit more reasonable though that then 1500 RPM difference.  Still seems a bit higher than I would expect.  Are the bounces the same ?  How about the shafts ?  Just wondering.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

@goaliewales14, dude, I was just kidding about the retest 😄   That number sounds a bit more reasonable though that then 1500 RPM difference.  Still seems a bit higher than I would expect.  Are the bounces the same ?  How about the shafts ?  Just wondering.

MDGolfHacker

I actually wanted to retest anyways because as I mentioned, I wasn't able to get a good sample size.  I wanted to make sure I did the test justice.  Plus it as gave me an excuse to go to the golf store. 🙂  

In terms of the shafts, the Vokey had their standard shaft, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the DG S200.  Ours have the DG Tour Issue S400, so the Vokey being just a bit softer.  That would be helping with the extra spin.

In terms of bounce, I was using the M grind (8* of bounce) for the first test and today I had the S grind (10* of bounce) to get it as close to ours as possible.

1 hour ago, goaliewales14 said:

I actually wanted to retest anyways because as I mentioned, I wasn't able to get a good sample size.  I wanted to make sure I did the test justice.  Plus it as gave me an excuse to go to the golf store. 🙂  

In terms of the shafts, the Vokey had their standard shaft, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the DG S200.  Ours have the DG Tour Issue S400, so the Vokey being just a bit softer.  That would be helping with the extra spin.

In terms of bounce, I was using the M grind (8* of bounce) for the first test and today I had the S grind (10* of bounce) to get it as close to ours as possible.

You are correct that the standard shaft for Vokeys is the s200.

• Like 1

Is there anything that we, the testers, haven't shown you that you'd like to see out of these review?  Is there something you'd like us to show more of that you really liked?

We're also here to answer any questions you may have about these wedges, so ask away!!

• Like 1

Did my testing at Golftec, interesting results for the stage 2. However I was right noticing about 8-10 yds less distance on full shots vs CBX 1 wedges

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apes44 said:

Did my testing at Golftec, interesting results for the stage 2. However I was right noticing about 8-10 yds less distance on full shots vs CBX 1 wedges

Interesting...looking forward to seeing your results.

MDGolfHacker