Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Cleveland RTX 4 Wedges

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

No tour raw?

Why not?

2 hours ago, Apes44 said:

They offer it in a tour raw (https://www.clevelandgolf.com/us/wedges-/rtx-4-tour-raw-wedge/MRTX4TR.html) Not sure why we didnt pick it

The tour raw is only available right handed.  I went with the tour satin because it had the most available loft and bounce options for me as a lefty.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

The tour raw is only available right handed.  I went with the tour satin because it had the most available loft and bounce options for me as a lefty.

MDGolfHacker

Makes sense.

Great Stage 1's so far! I'm interested in hearing about forgiveness with 3/4 swings and above, if any of you guys are using them for those purposes. I need a new 54* and was leaning CBX but I could easily be persuaded with tales of sticking it close or holing out with these beauties 😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Great Stage 1's so far! I'm interested in hearing about forgiveness with 3/4 swings and above, if any of you guys are using them for those purposes. I need a new 54* and was leaning CBX but I could easily be persuaded with tales of sticking it close or holing out with these beauties 😉

Played today and the wedges are fantastic!  Hit a few 3/4 swings and the distance control was phenomenal!  My aim needs some work though but quite a few ended pin high!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shankster said:

No tour raw?

Why not?

I've honestly just never been a fan of the raw look.  The rust bothers me and makes me feel like it's not clean. 

• Like 7

I've honestly just never been a fan of the raw look.  The rust bothers me and makes me feel like it's not clean. 

I tried one at the demo day. They do look like something from a garage sale that had been sitting in the ocean for a few months.

The only thing I would like is the anti shine properties of it. I don’t like chrome, or anything shiny.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, russtopherb said:

1 hour ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Played today and the wedges are fantastic!  Hit a few 3/4 swings and the distance control was phenomenal!  My aim needs some work though but quite a few ended pin high!

I would definitely 2nd this.  I've been using the 54* a lot for 3/4 and full swings.  Forgiveness has been great!  I'm still in shock at how much spin I can put on these things.  I would definitely say put the RTX 4 head-to-head against the CBX.  Without knowing your game, I would probably say if you're only going to use them as a 3/4 and fully swing club, then I would lean towards the CBX.  The only reason I say that is because it would be more like an iron rather than a wedge.  

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I tried one at the demo day. They do look like something from a garage sale that had been sitting in the ocean for a few months.

The only thing I would like is the anti shine properties of it. I don’t like chrome, or anything shiny.

I 100% get that.  I think that is what has made the black finished like the RTX 4 black satin or the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth have been so popular.  People aren't wanting that glare, and the different finishes are help with that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

I would definitely 2nd this.  I've been using the 54* a lot for 3/4 and full swings.  Forgiveness has been great!  I'm still in shock at how much spin I can put on these things.  I would definitely say put the RTX 4 head-to-head against the CBX.  Without knowing your game, I would probably say if you're only going to use them as a 3/4 and fully swing club, then I would lean towards the CBX.  The only reason I say that is because it would be more like an iron rather than a wedge.  

I like my 54* for a lot of shots around the green, everything from short chips to 40 yard pitches, however I can't go any more than a half swing with it. Otherwise... disaster. That's why I'm leaning CBX but the RTX seems to be pretty darn forgiving as well in a more compact package.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Shankster:

The tour satin wedges don't have a bright shine to them.  When I played them today in full sun not once did I notice a blinding glare come off of them!

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I like my 54* for a lot of shots around the green, everything from short chips to 40 yard pitches, however I can't go any more than a half swing with it. Otherwise... disaster. That's why I'm leaning CBX but the RTX seems to be pretty darn forgiving as well in a more compact package.

The RTX 4 is forgiving, but I would hold off until you can demo both to see which works better for your game.  I'm guessing either one will be a winner for you!  Just looking at the pre-sale information, I didn't see an option to select different bounces for the CBX2's where as you have a ton of choices for bounce for the RTX 4's, more so if you are right handed.  That alone could make your decision.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

I have used a raw wedge since Cleveland came out with the RTG. It's got zero impact on performance (though OEM will occasionally claim it does) but I have always preferred the aesthetics of it. I prefer the non-glare and petina of the raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Interested in the non v sole players that are using it for the first time.

What was your miss with a standard soled wedge, and are these helping/adding too it?

When I tried them they felt really hard, but it was in the 30’s. What do you all make of them?

1. Butter
2. Bread
3. Toasted Bread
4. Burnt Toast
Or
5. Crispy bacon?
6. Dehydrated Turkey?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What was your miss with a standard soled wedge, and are these helping/adding too it?

When I tried them they felt really hard, but it was in the 30’s. What do you all make of them?

1. Butter
2. Bread
3. Toasted Bread
4. Burnt Toast
Or
5. Crispy bacon?
6. Dehydrated Turkey?

I don't have an RTX 4, but i can tell you for certain I had No.6 one year for Thanksgiving dinner 😮

• Like 1

MDGolfHacker

Agreed 1/2 and 3/4 are my go to shots close range and. I’ve been sticking them tight! I will say the CBC gen 1 are slightly longer so if distance is an issue

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't have an RTX 4, but i can tell you for certain I had No.6 one year for Thanksgiving dinner

Me too. Just last year.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

1. Butter
2. Bread
3. Toasted Bread
4. Burnt Toast
Or
5. Crispy bacon?
6. Dehydrated Turkey?

I like the feel of the RTX 4, I'd say 1.5 🙂

12 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I don't have an RTX 4, but i can tell you for certain I had No.6 one year for Thanksgiving dinner 😮

Gotta top eating those MREs and get some real home cooking😀

11 hours ago, Apes44 said:

Agreed 1/2 and 3/4 are my go to shots close range and. I’ve been sticking them tight! I will say the CBC gen 1 are slightly longer so if distance is an issue

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I didn't find any distance issues...in face they seemed about half a club longer for me.

10 hours ago, Shankster said:

Me too. Just last year. emoji15.png

Lol

• Like 3

Was also able to play around with the wedges more yesterday, absolutely in love!
Ball.jpg.cbe7472c10e16d0f18b74dce59f5e5d0.jpg
I have always been good with my wedges, but these I've able to drop shots in and stick a lot better. The 56* is perfect for that off the green drop it between the pin that's 5 feet in. I am seeing a little loss in distance from the CBX gen 1 wedges I normally use. Its nominal, may 8-15 yds.
chip.jpg.167da56d8533aa25a78a2bb9a1ffdfc7.jpg
The impact picture is from a slowmo video of the club hitting the ball!
check.jpg.e9a6172200e45ad5cb127f664983673b.jpg
The picture with the ball mark on the green was from about 70 out with the 56*, I was actually able to put a lot of backspin on it.  

A couple years back, I was fortunate enough to get chosen by MGS to review the new RTX. Two things I couldn’t get over were the REALLY long hosel, and what looked like a LOT of offset. From one of your pics, it looks like the hosel is still long. I sure hope the offset has been decreased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

I sure hope the offset has been decreased.

I really don't notice any offset at all.  I'll try to take a picture of it sitting at address soon

• Like 2

I have to say the XLow has changed my game completely out of the bunker...here's an example of 8 bunker shots in a row.  5 to the pin closest to the bunker, 3 to the middle pin.  

816224839_BunkerShot2Pins.jpg.a6eea335a182ac790ddc207b8261abc8.jpg

I mean look at out close these are!!

141586289_BunkerShotClosePin.png.57687d138cc46fcd1e43b984fd29d56c.png

• Like 4

I really don't notice any offset at all.  I'll try to take a picture of it sitting at address soon

Also can vouch for that. Not much if any. And you all know how much I hate offset...
  • Like 4