xOldBenKenobiX

How would you play this shot?

Our Sponsors

From the image, the hole looks like there's not a lot of room, so a wedge would require too much precision with little room for error.  If there was more green to work with, I'd likely go with a wedge and fly it on the green, otherwise I'd opt to go with a bump and run with 7 or 8 iron.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

34 minutes ago, SnakeDoc said:

@tony@CIC Funny, my buddy Chris is also a lefty, That is my problem with the wedges in general, I cannot hit a consistent high spin where the ball will stop quickly, most of the time, the ball will roll way past my target spot.

I was watching a lesson that Rory was giving on GC - very similar shot. His strategy was to hit a chip (not sure what wedge he was using)  to the edge of the green and let the ball roll out. I've got a pretty good short game but I'd end up blading the wedge if I tried that - so I stick with the bump and run. 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

11 minutes ago, CarlH said:

From the image, the hole looks like there's not a lot of room, so a wedge would require too much precision with little room for error.  If there was more green to work with, I'd likely go with a wedge and fly it on the green, otherwise I'd opt to go with a bump and run with 7 or 8 iron.

Yep the flag was only about 6 paces from the fringe that day, very easy to misjudge and hit it too far in.

The green is like a dome and a few feet past where the hole was cut, it starts dropping back and right, so if hit too hard, you might end up in the rough just off the fringe. 

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike and Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

I would overthink it and either chunk it and be short of the green or blade it over the green

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

56 minutes ago, SnakeDoc said:

That was my thinking, I was trying to get my self in the green with an uphill putt

Many people have said it, your worst putt will be way better than your worst chip.  In my decision-making, this gets down to estimating the consistency of the fairway grass, and evaluating the lie of the ball from a pitching standpoint.  This is often a regional thing, some places have tighter (more predictable) fairway turf, others have a little more grass under the ball.  I would rarely "chip" this, to me its easier to estimate the roll of a putt than it is to estimate the first bounce of a chip landing short of the green.  I want to either carry it to the green itself, or roll it all the way.  

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, SnakeDoc said:

I don't think I've ever used my 9 iron for a bump and run, I am going to try that next time I am at the practice green.

I use the 9 for when I'm playing faster greens here in Northern VA.  Shaggy/bumpy greens I'd go with the 8.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

3 wood:  :ping-small: G410, Alta 65 S-flex

Hybrids:  :ping-small: G400 19* & 22*, Alta CB 70 S-flex

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, Proj X LZ 6.0

Wedges:  Maltby M-Series+ 54/10 & 58/8

Putter:  :bettinardi-small: HM2, 34"

10 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Sometimes I even use my hybrid to just get the ball rolling above the grass. Works better than a putter when you have a lot of fringe to go through. 

This was interesting: 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

This was interesting: 

James losing to Chris once again 🤣

Edited by SnakeDoc
  • Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike and Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

I am going to have to practice the hybrid putt, I have heard of it before but never tried to pull it off my self.

I highly recommend the hybrid putt. I feel like it’s a cheat code around the green. My chipping is definitely the strength of my game, but on those long putts from off the green, the hybrid eliminates a lot of variables. No worries about strike like with a wedge, and it’s a nice short putting stroke that’s easy to control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I highly recommend the hybrid putt. I feel like it’s a cheat code around the green. My chipping is definitely the strength of my game, but on those long putts from off the green, the hybrid eliminates a lot of variables. No worries about strike like with a wedge, and it’s a nice short putting stroke that’s easy to control.

This is a shot I don't try, because I don't practice it, I'd rather putt with a putter if I'm choosing to roll the ball.  What advantage do you see in rolling it with a hybrid instead of a putter?  For me, I'd expect to have distance control issues with the longer club.

• Like 1

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Mid iron bump & run. I use the 7, but anything could work

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

I'm bump it into the hill with a PW and then pray

• Like 1

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

2 hours ago, AceBino said:

I use the 9 for when I'm playing faster greens here in Northern VA.  Shaggy/bumpy greens I'd go with the 8.  

I'll use a 9-iron sometimes when I have 40 or 50 feet to the flag, and just 5 or 10 feet to the edge of the green.  But I tend to play that type of chip back in my stance and hit it fairly low, might be a 7-iron loft at impact.  So where in NoVa do you play?  I'm a member at Stoneleigh, out west past Leesburg.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I’d use my 56* and try to drop it close. That’s what I trust the most

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

2 hopper low 56° is my first thought.

Second look is a high spinner land or as close to the flagstick as I could, I’d be aiming right for it. It would be a wide open 56°, so mega bounce there for a mistake assist.

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This is a shot I don't try, because I don't practice it, I'd rather putt with a putter if I'm choosing to roll the ball.  What advantage do you see in rolling it with a hybrid instead of a putter?  For me, I'd expect to have distance control issues with the longer club.

I'm with you in that I don't see the benefit here. It's a shot I have in the bag, but I'd use it when I'm just off the fringe so that the ball can land on the fringe or green and bounce more predictably.

Currently testing the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Torch 03

Ball - :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Depends on how I feel when I get to the ball, but probably a “toed-wedge”. Possibly a 9 iron bump-and-run, but its running up there one-way or the other.

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Depends on how I feel when I get to the ball, but probably a “toed-wedge”. Possibly a 9 iron bump-and-run, but its running up there one-way or the other.

I initially read this as a "toe-wedge", and assumed it was a new variant of the classic "foot wedge".

• Like 1

Currently testing the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Torch 03

Ball - :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I choke up to the bottom of the grip like I would any other chip with my wedge, so the club length isn’t an issue. I find with the putter, the bigger the swing the more problems arise, like bad strikes and distance control issues. Instead of having to try to whack it out of the rough/fringe with my putter and guess how hot/far it will come out with half the swing you can get the ball rolling on the green. I’ll use my hybrid in a heartbeat on a long uphill put, especially if I’m going up a tier in the green, way easier to control distance.

Chris Dennis has done a few videos on his YouTube channel recently showing better proximity with a hybrid around the greens. I’ve had similar results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk