Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What the crap!

Warming up on the range before playing today, pull out my favotire club my 3 wood. Hit one ball enjoy watching it fly through the air. Hit the second ball my clubhead snaps off on my backswing and heads down range. Now I have a lightsaber (carbon shaft felt weightless)  in my hands and whip that sucker through the air like a complete idiot and yell WTF on the range. Everyone looks at me and starts laughing and smiling. 

What the heck caused this? Small fracture from the previous shot? Heat from the car and being in the trunk on a hot day? It was pretty rad i'll say that.

Bonus the pro shop gave me a loaner 3 wood to play with while they fixed mine. Turns out I cant hit the new cobra to save my life hahah.

(picture to show where it broke not my club)

re-shafting-labor-only-12720-p.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Interesting as that’s right where my 3 wood broke last week.

My bag was in my trunk, and my car’s been parked outside the past 2 weeks due to a project my daughters been working on in the garage. I also wondered if the heat did something to the shaft on mine, as the layers were peeling off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9BBDCDF9-503F-4EBA-ABCA-DA420F215580.jpg

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Very possible... extreme cold/heat will affect epoxy...

That's why I carry my bag with me into the house 🙂 on days where I plan to play after work and I know it's scorching out outside I'll bring the clubs into the office lol. People look at me in a weird way though 😄

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

3 hours ago, Kanoito said:

That's why I carry my bag with me into the house 🙂 on days where I plan to play after work and I know it's scorching out outside I'll bring the clubs into the office lol. People look at me in a weird way though 😄

This right here. Was on a golf trip to Florida. One of the guys left his clubs in the car the first day and when he looked at them the ferrules were coming lose on all his irons. I haven’t left my clubs in my car since I had similar ferrule creep with a set of clubs in 2014

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Epoxy I completely understand.

On my shaft, you can see the layers peeling away. That was more of a head scratcher for me than anything else.

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Epoxy I completely understand.

On my shaft, you can see the layers peeling away. That was more of a head scratcher for me than anything else.

On yours, was your club and shaft brand new when you bought it?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

19 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

On yours, was your club and shaft brand new when you bought it?

No sir. Used from Callaway Pre Owned.

2 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

No sir. Used from Callaway Pre Owned.

I see. Layers of graphite peeling can happen if the previous owner was messing with the shaft (pulled the shaft without a graphite puller, overheated the tip, cut the tip without the right tools, etc.). Even if the shaft only had a minor issue when it was reshafted (if this is what the previous owner was doing), it could have gotten worse over time.

I bought a "new" shaft from ebay a while back and I pulled the adapter. The tip of the shaft was perfectly shiny black. That was a big, WTF. The tip wasn't prepped whatsoever. I decided that if I ever buy something that is not brand new from a retailer or OEM, i'm going to pull the head or tip and make sure there is nothing sketchy going on (unless its a putter). 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

16 hours ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Warming up on the range before playing today, pull out my favotire club my 3 wood. Hit one ball enjoy watching it fly through the air. Hit the second ball my clubhead snaps off on my backswing and heads down range. Now I have a lightsaber (carbon shaft felt weightless)  in my hands and whip that sucker through the air like a complete idiot and yell WTF on the range. Everyone looks at me and starts laughing and smiling. 

What the heck caused this? Small fracture from the previous shot? Heat from the car and being in the trunk on a hot day? It was pretty rad i'll say that.

Bonus the pro shop gave me a loaner 3 wood to play with while they fixed mine. Turns out I cant hit the new cobra to save my life hahah.

(picture to show where it broke not my club)

re-shafting-labor-only-12720-p.jpg

That sucks, luckily you didn't hit your self or anyone else.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

14 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Interesting as that’s right where my 3 wood broke last week.

My bag was in my trunk, and my car’s been parked outside the past 2 weeks due to a project my daughters been working on in the garage. I also wondered if the heat did something to the shaft on mine, as the layers were peeling off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9BBDCDF9-503F-4EBA-ABCA-DA420F215580.jpg

I probably should check on my clubs, they have been in the trunk of the car for the past two weeks, it has been over 90 everyday for the past 9 days here in Michigan

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Heck I've kept my clubs in  my toolbox on my truck and have done so since I bought it new in 1989.  Never had a problem with club heads flying off.  It gets pretty hot here in Georgia during the summer months so I guess I've been lucky. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

31 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Heck I've kept my clubs in  my toolbox on my truck and have done so since I bought it new in 1989.  Never had a problem with club heads flying off.  It gets pretty hot here in Georgia during the summer months so I guess I've been lucky. 

Very lucky, maybe the adhesive they usesd to use was much stronger than it is today??? haha

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

My clubs are always in the trunk of my car; I never know when someone wants to play, so have to have them with me at all times. LOL   For the past 15 years my car has sat outside all year... in sub-zero and 110º temps.  I've never had a problem with shafts coming loose.  This year I have a garage, so at least they are inside when I'm at home.

When I pull shafts, it takes quite a bit of heat with a torch.  If it comes off easily, it was a poor install.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Very lucky, maybe the adhesive they usesd to use was much stronger than it is today??? haha

I've had lots of different sets since those days. Charter member of Club Ho Anonymous . 😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)