Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mizuno... Does ANYTHING really feel like a Mizuno?

BNewton51

Golf has been at the cornerstone of my families life since the age of 19, and probably well before then. 

A former football player, I always was envious of my Grandfather, Uncle and other family members who sang the praise of golf.  I fought against their languid praises shrugging off the beauty of the game in favor of lifting weights and praising the sport with which I centered my life up until that point.  However, that siren song that golf whispers in one's ear always played subtly in the background instilling deep inside of me a burning desire to take up the game and be the best I could. 

By the age of 19, high school football was ending and I was off to play college ball.  Still astutely aware that my heart was growing less content with the path in which I was following and more towards a game in which I knew I was meant to start.  As with so many things, football ended my first year of college because of injury and I set forth into the game full force.  

Obviously, my Macgregor blade irons and ACTUAL "wooden" woods weren't going to cut it for long.  I graduated to the original Callaway Big Bertha, Taylormade spoon, a set of Ping Zings and some Ping Wedges.  Surely I was set to be on tour within a year! lmao

Through the years, the vice / addiction that is golf has taken hold stronger than I could have ever imagined.  Yes, at least I admit I have a problem! 😂  And through those years I've had the opportunity to play MANY different brands of clubs.  A fiddler by nature, I've always loved testing gear out and seeing what the newest gear could advance in my game.  The list of gear goes as follows:

1. MacGregor Blades circa probably the 1960's and associated woods. 

2. Ping Zing Irons, Callaway Big Bertha Driver, Taylormade Spoon fairway wood, Ping wedges and a Ping Anser putter. 

3. Lynx Parralax Irons, Callaway BB Driver, Taylormade spoon, and Ping Wedges

4.  Hogan Blades, Callaways BB Driver, Taylormade spoon and Cleveland 588 wedges

5.  Ping I3 Irons, Taylormade original adjustable weighted driver, Titliest 3 wood, Cleveland 588 wedges, Scotty Cameron Circa 62 B-60 style putter

6.  Callaway Tour Irons, Taylormade R9, Callaway steelhead three wood, Cleveland 588 wedges, SC Circa 62 putter

7.  Callaway X-12 irons, TM R9, Callaway steelhead 3wood, TM Tour wedges, SC Circa 62 putter

8.  Ping S58 Irons, TM R11, Callaway steelhead 3 wood, TM Tour wedges, TM original Spider

9.  Taylormade RSI TP irons, Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway Epic three wood, TM Tour hybrid, MD3 wedges, SC Circa 62 putter

10.  Callaway X-forged, Callaway Epic Flash, Callaway Epic Flash three wood, Callaway Epic 18* hyrbrid, MD4 wedges, TM Spider tour

11.  Mizuno 919 Tour Forged, TM Sim Driver, Callaway Epic Flash three wood, Titleist 818 H1 18* hybrid, SC Special Select Square Back

That was quite the mouthful, and I'm sure that I probably forgot some irons and or clubs that made their way in and out of my bag through the years.  Funny, when I look back I see that I gravitate towards the Callaway Drivers and TM fairway woods but I digress. 

The "article" has the intent to speak towards Mizuno.  This legendary artisan of quality irons was always something I heard about, but I always shunned them in favor of the more mainstream brand names.  Why?  Frankly, I regret it now and have no idea why I was so stubborn.  

About 2 months ago I took the plunge and bought a close out set of brand new 919 tour irons.  Having heard so much about feel, falling in love with their clean and utilitarian look I just felt I had to try them.  I don't care much about who's playing what on tour, or the marketing that many of these manufacturers put out there with their seemingly endless release of new "stuff."  For me, I've grown to understand that I want a club that performs consistently, delivers superior feel and provides me with the ability to maximize my talents on the course so that I can score the best I am able too. 

I can say with NO hesitation that anyone whom isn't aware and or doesn't believe the tag line (Nothing feels like a Mizuno) is simply being stubborn.  I was that person, so I can say that with great authority! 

From a looks perspective, nothing looks as clean and less gimmicky as Mizuno does. Sure, the 921 line and some of their woods line has pushed that statement to it's limits.  Sad to say, but I believe Mizuno fell into the "keeping up with the joneses" when it comes to shelf appeal.  However, I would go out on a limb and say that MOST Golfers want something that has just a pure look of artistry that performs unlike anything they've played before.  As a Japanese company, that's almost what I would come to expect because some many of the products coming out of Japan focus the looks and performance factor.  But when I received these clubs I literally spent a day just marveling at the pure beauty of the iron and that it would be almost a shame to see it hitting the turf and becoming soiled. I did, however, get over that quickly as I rushed to the range to start hitting them. 

When we focus in on feel I would say gobbsmacked is probably the best reaction I could give. 

The pure feel of an iron struck out of the middle, or slightly there abouts, is unlike anything I've played. It's almost as if you took a pillow and smacked the ball with it when struck proper and you see that ball jettison off the face.  Reading up on the tech of their forging process and understanding the principles behind the steel and how it's forged into these pieces of art leaves one understanding exactly why.  But like so many other things, witnessing and experiencing are always the proof in the proverbial pudding that one must undertake. Having resisted the brand for so many years, I can tell you that I now regret falling prey to the marketing engine of these big common brands.  Surely, nothing could be as good as a Taylormade or a Callaway, right?  Wrong!  From a pure feel perspective, having played many of those irons and hit almost all of the offerings they've put out for the past decade in one way or another I can say that NOTHING has felt like this. 

Performance is always subjective.  Like it should be, what you get out of an iron or a wood is what you put in.  Your swing will always dictate how the tool performs.  This fact gets lost on many people, I was one of them for many years so I can say that honestly, that the clubs don't make the golfer.  The golfer makes the golfer.  That said, for me as a single digit handicapper that hovers from a 1 to a 4, I have the ability with these irons to easily play all of the shots.  High, Low, left to right, right to left, punch and run, you name it.  For me, this is simply a matter of point, commit and shoot.  What makes this so marvelous though is that I get all of the feel and feedback I need within these irons to tell me if I've pulled off my intended shot that I rarely have to watch the ball finish to know.  Though, I must say I am quite enjoying watching that ball drill through the air and stop right where I wanted it.  

In conclusion, marketing is always subject.  Manufacturers are always going to tout the advantages of their new and wonderful offering.  Sometimes they are factual, but as we My Golf Spy members know more often than not they fall short.   I am fully aware that I'm writing glowingly of an iron that is from the last cycle and that Mizuno has since replaced them with the 921 tour irons.  But I must admit that sometimes the best gear isn't always the latest and greatest offerings on the shelf.   Sometimes, if you can get your hands on a previous generation iron that is brand new or even slightly used you will find that they are simply the BEST IRON for you!  That's what I found and I couldn't be happier to now say I will play Mizunos for as long as I can find a product that matches my wants and needs.  

If you read this far, hope it was enjoyable and not simply rambling.  Would love to hear your experiences with Mizuno if you've had any. Not a new brand, but new to me I guess one could say and I'm quite happy about it. 

Hit'em straight and always play your best! 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

A few years ago (..when I thought I knew I was doing and thought I knew how to hit a good ball 🤪) I went into two different stores, twice each, to try out several different irons (..thinking all I need to do is find the "right" iron and then that ball will go *flying*😂) and I still distinctly remember the sound - and feel - of the JPX850 ... sweeeeet!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

Through the years, the vice / addiction that is golf has taken hold stronger than I could have ever imagined.  Yes, at least I admit I have a problem! 😂 

Well you're in the right place here!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Couldn't have agreed more with exactly how you put it.  That moment when you feel it is unlike anything and you just instantly "know" what you've been missing out on!!!  Absolutely man. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!