Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Why No Love for Hybrids?

The 7 wood has become a very popular club among the men’s group that I play in.  Last year I added a Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood with a stiff shaft to my bag.  It was a brand new, never used old stock club bought cheaply and has proven to be the best fairway wood I’ve ever had to hit shots off of the deck.  It has a shallow face with a long and low pancake shape to it, but it works for me as my 210-220 yard club.

I am just now starting the testing of some 4 & 5 woods now for off the tee.  My recent tests have only been productive so far in showing me what doesn’t work.  Waiting on some more clubs to arrive and some different shafts to move forward.

Fairway woods are the bane of many an amateur golfer.  I’m heading in the direction of slightly heavier shafts designed specifically for fairway woods to see if that will help.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I think the problem (lack of love) is simply that the ratio of recharge time to mileage range is still too low... oh, wait, wrong hybrid 😆.  My personal experience is that I haven't (as yet) found them as hittable as say a 7w or 9w. I really tried the PING out a couple years ago at a Demo Day but they just didn't work for me - just not as consistent.  That said, I play with some guys who have a bag full of them.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

This whole thread finally got me to just pull the trigger on a fairway wood/hybrid fitting... currently my 21 degree 4 hybrid (R15) goes further than my 16.5 degree 4-wood (epic speed)... so hard to justify even keeping the 4-wood in the bag when I only hit it once every 8-10 rounds. I will post results from the fitting. I find with my driver distance I rarely need anything bigger than my hybrid (225 yd avg hit over last 5 rnds). 

Mike Thibideau
Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5
4-wood: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 16.5 
4-hybrid: :taylormade-small: R15 21
Irons 5-P: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max
Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 46, 50, 54, 60
Shoes: :travis-mathew-1:MoneyMaker, Nike Roche G
Glove: Asher Golf
Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft, :callaway-small: Supersoft (conditions dependent)