Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

How familair are people with golfballselector.com?

Super Tuna

Afternoon,

Just curious how famialir people are with golfballselector.com? A buddy has a membership there and often checks out to see what is best for him and a couple of us on a regular basis. I'll admit that I don't know enough about golfball science but it's weird to see the recommendations some times.

For example what we, the consumer is generally told is along the lines of

ProV1=Z Star=Tour iS=20Xi-S= TP Red = B330s

ProV1x=Z Star XV=Tour iZ=20xi-X=B330

Roughly anyways.

Yet the Z star, Z star XV are listed as 1/2, ProV1, 20xi-X and Wilson D:25 are listed as the top 5.

Thus is there more difference between the top line balls as I might have been lead to believe or is the difference so small that it's just nitpicking between the more and less spinny within the tour balls? I also find it fascinating that both Tour iS and iZ are listed pretty much smack at the bottom which is just odd to me.

Sometimes I find ball fitting oddly confusing.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I also find it fascinating that both Tour iS and iZ are listed pretty much smack at the bottom which is just odd to me.

Personally, I have always thought that this set of Callaway balls felt hard, and were incredibly susceptible to damage - So in sum I agree with the rankings to that extent. In reference to your question about differences in the top of the line selections, I think that the manufacturers make differences out to be more than they are simply as a marketing scheme. That is not to detract from the idea in general, as some differences are apparent even before they tell you what they changed. From a non scientific standpoint feel can vary greatly. For example, imo the IS has a much harsher feel that the penta or a prov1. I can't really speak to spin, but when Golf Digest does their yearly golf ball awards they list a spin chart that with a robot swinging shows different spins for different balls. It would be interesting to see MGS do some golf ball reviews... and see what criteria they come up with.

And a while ago I checked out the website for Golf Ball Selector, but got scared off by the thought of paying more for balls than the in store price... Did your buddy say anything about results? i.e. was it worth it to him?

He really likes the selector portion but doesn't buy his balls through them. Usually picks up a sleeve on his own of the top 7 or 8 balls and goes through them until he finds one he really likes then orders 8-10 dozen for the year.

He figures you should't just assume the #1 ranked ball from them is the best for you. Something in the top 20% listed will be but it could be the last one rather then the 1st.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived