Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golfspy Dave's Beer of the Week

GolfSpy Dave

The Noble Pils is a solid beer, but Sam Octoberfest is where it's really at.

I love the name of your BOTW, "Ruination". Sounds like a metal band. I also dig the logo. If I were still "collecting" bottles, I would be seeking out this brewery very hard.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

The Noble Pils is a solid beer, but Sam Octoberfest is where it's really at.

I love the name of your BOTW, "Ruination". Sounds like a metal band. I also dig the logo. If I were still "collecting" bottles, I would be seeking out this brewery very hard.

For the Octoberfest comment I just clicked green about 6000000 times.

GD I love that beer. Whenever it hits the stores in September, it is like the bat phone goes off after someone finds it. Sams Club had cases for $20.

Bought six. Man I love that beer.

Our course had it on tap last fall too. Made for some sloppy golfin' those days. But that beer rules.

sorry, got a bit excited there.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For the Octoberfest comment I just clicked green about 6000000 times.

GD I love that beer. Whenever it hits the stores in September, it is like the bat phone goes off after someone finds it. Sams Club had cases for $20.

Bought six. Man I love that beer.

Our course had it on tap last fall too. Made for some sloppy golfin' those days. But that beer rules.

sorry, got a bit excited there.

No reason not to be excited about Octoberfest. I really like seasonal beers, the lack of year round availability makes it more fun and special when they are around.

What is your feeling on the Sam's winter brew?

• SPY VIP

No reason not to be excited about Octoberfest. I really like seasonal beers, the lack of year round availability makes it more fun and special when they are around.

What is your feeling on the Sam's winter brew?

Most winters are OK. I have a hard time looking past Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale though. That one's release each year gets the phone tree going.

Usually it is the summer beers where I skip the seasonals. Not big on the wheat beers.

Volvo Intorqueo

I'm not a huge Sam winter guy, I like nut browns in the winter. Leiney makes a good nut brown and so does...it's got a ska-style label that flippin rocks...dammit I can't think of the name. If I come up with it, I'll throw it up here.

I like wheat beer, but I strongly dislike unfiltered wheat beer (ie Blue Moon). Agreed that summer seasonals are the weak link in the beer chain.

• SPY VIP

I'm not a huge Sam winter guy, I like nut browns in the winter. Leiney makes a good nut brown and so does...it's got a ska-style label that flippin rocks...dammit I can't think of the name. If I come up with it, I'll throw it up here.

I like wheat beer, but I strongly dislike unfiltered wheat beer (ie Blue Moon). Agreed that summer seasonals are the weak link in the beer chain.

Someone tried to tell me that Blue Moon was best with and orange squeezed into it.

I like vodka with my OJ and beer with my beer.

Volvo Intorqueo

This is my BoD....

w10.JPG

I love this stuff. I hope it stays around for a while.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Is that an Oregon beer? There are so many awesome breweries in Oregon (ROGUE!), but the stupid state tax on exporting beer made them very expensive to buy elsewhere.

It is. Rogue is quite good. We visit the brewery every time we go to Newport. Not my fav, but good. What does a 6er cost out of state?? they are like 7-8 bucks here.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

It is. Rogue is quite good. We visit the brewery every time we go to Newport. Not my fav, but good. What does a 6er cost out of state?? they are like 7-8 bucks here.

Same here. Love Dead Guy Ale though. Occasionally it shows up in a big jug. I like to get my hillbilly on then.

Lots of Rogue 22oz around. Few 6-packs.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Rogue sixers are usually....probably $8 or more, depending on the store. Dead Guy is good and pretty common, for a microbrew, around this area. You can usually get it on tap at a good bar.

That is excellent distribution for a small brewery. Maybe Rogue is larger than I thought. I wonder if they are using any "big 3" production equipment.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

What do you mean by "big 3" production equipment?

Some smaller, but growing breweries can "rent" bottling lines and such from other larger breweries.

Big 3 refers to Bud, Coors, and Miller

Volvo Intorqueo

It's fantastic. It's another $12 six-pack, but well worth it. It is not a beer you will find in a tall can, or one to put down by the case. We had a year where a few of us bought sixers of OABA as presents for each other, unknowingly. The next year the exchange of the OABA became traditional holiday fare.

Well, I will have to go on a quest now to find OABA in my area. It would probably require a drive into Schaumburg if not Chicago proper to get it.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Well, I will have to go on a quest now to find OABA in my area. It would probably require a drive into Schaumburg if not Chicago proper to get it.

If you have the BevMo chain near you that is a good place to look.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

We have lots of Binnys in the Chicagoland area. What I miss is Friar Tuck, a small chain down in southern IL. That place had everything and it was all cheap.

Can you find Stone's beers there? You can save A2G the trip in...

Volvo Intorqueo

Some smaller, but growing breweries can "rent" bottling lines and such from other larger breweries.

Big 3 refers to Bud, Coors, and Miller

Pretty sure they do it all inhouse. That place smells soooooo goood.

In the theme of the post, here is my BON...

Rogue+Morimoto+Soba+Ale.JPG

mmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.

• SPY VIP

Beer of the Week, Volume 3: The Black and Tan, DIY

In honor of St. Pats I am presenting this BotW a day earlier than normal and in a DYI format. This is a great entertaining beer to serve for guests and once you have the tools and the knack, it is not that hard to pull off.

1. You need beer. To many of us reading these this is an obvious statement, but for this you need specific types of beer. There are many variations of the black and tan. Typically the black is Guinness although other stouts can work and the tan is another lighter beer like Harp or Bass. Do note that some will call some variations different names, like the Black and Brown, but the principle is the same. For tonight's viewing pleasure, I have paired a lovely Guinness tall can (also known as 'medicine" in my house) with my last Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, a hoppy seasonal that is truly a bright spot in the winter season.

IMG_0114.jpg

2. You need a glass and a turtle. Yes I said turtle. Herein lies the secret of pouring the black and tan. Find a "lagerhead" turtle. Some deft pourers can accomplish what I am showing you with a spoon, but the turtle is money. Note the beauty of design as the mouth of the turtle is also a bottle opener. Plus it frees up a hand so you can enjoy a beverage while pouring this one. As you can see, the turtle sits nicely on top of the glass.

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

3. Pour in the light colored beer. Pour in the lighter beer, in this case the SNCA and wait for the head to settle a little. Fill the glass about half full. Or for some half empty.

IMG_0115.jpg

4. Turtle and Black Magic Now that you have your base, place your lagerhead on top of the glass and slowly pour it across the turtle's back. Just like swinging a club at the bottom of the pool slow. :) You may not see color separation at first, but if you pour slow enough, it will start to show as you add more.

IMG_0116.jpg

5. Finishing Once you reach the top of the glass, remove the turtle and allow a little time for the Guinness head to set up before serving drinking. If all has gone well you should see two distinct layers.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

6. Experiment and Practice While Guinness is always my beer of choice for the "black" it is quite fun to experiment with the second beer. You will find that it changes the taste profile. Tonight, this is the first one that I have made with this Sierra Nevada. Taste wise was interesting because the Guinness is initially very creamy and smooth and then the strong hops of the Celebration ale finish out the mouthful. Personally I like making them with Harp because it is a lighter color and the presentation is more striking, but try it with anything. Even PBR John...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Again, that looks more like a meal than a beer..;>

Don't be afraid of the dark.

It is very light and crisp, especially in the black and tan. Taste-wise it is the lighter of the two featured here.

Volvo Intorqueo

As tasty as that looks, I can't see myself taking more than about 3 seconds to prepare a beverage. I just get too thirsty.

• SPY VIP

I love the evolution of the BOTY. I'll be trying that black and tan when I get back home. Where did you get that turtle, Sactown? That's a cool beer accessory.

http://www.amazon.com/Brutool-Lagerhead-Black-Tan-Turtle/dp/B0007SN5TI

As tasty as that looks, I can't see myself taking more than about 3 seconds to prepare a beverage. I just get too thirsty.

The magic hands-free turtle allows you to have one in play while you pour the provisional.

Volvo Intorqueo

I did try a Smithwick? yesterday at our local Irish Bar, a very dark beer, and I liked it a lot, just couldn't drink them like I normally drink beer, but good for a lunch.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I did try a Smithwick? yesterday at our local Irish Bar, a very dark beer, and I liked it a lot, just couldn't drink them like I normally drink beer, but good for a lunch.

You are showing progress here. :)

Natty to Smithwick would be a little like jumping from the hot tub into the pool in January though.

Excellent day to dip into the brew though.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived