Cobra Driver- low spin

Bob M

I hit my driver high, and could see that my ball drops straight down and gets no extra distance. So when I tried a bunch of new drivers last year I I found Three that I liked, including a new Taylormade ( my go to brand) a new Callaway and, at the salesman's suggestion for low spin, a Cobra King Speedzone Driver. Then I was fitted on a track man at the shop. Wow, with both the Taylermade and Callaway Drivers I had about 6000 rpm spin and a rapid descent, but with the mill face of the Cobra i was at 1800 rpm spin with a much improved flight and distance. Bought this driver on the spot with this data. 

My golf buddies all noticed immediately the improved distance and straighter flight with this Cobra. This really sold me on Cobra- i went out and bought the 3 wood without even hitting it. I really love these two clubs for their low spin. 

Cobra Driver, 3 wood, 4,5 hybrids, callaway irons,

That's huge difference.  I've got to believe that the shaft and/or feel of the Cobra affected your swing to some extent.  Congrats on finding a driver that works!

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

thanks, I was told that the mill finish on the face is designed for low spin, and I was given the club to try just for that purpose, but the results I got on the Trackman were just unbelievable- now I elieve more than ever that clubfitting is critical to finding the best fit for everyone. I liked the feel and the drives from all the clubs when I hit them at the range- and did not "see" the difference in spin from my drives. This was just what I was looking for though - was a lower spin since I read that I want 2000 rpm spin with my driver- not the 4000-6000 I knew I was getting!

1 hour ago, Bob M said:

thanks, I was told that the mill finish on the face is designed for low spin,

The face of Cobra drivers was a topic of discussion on the latest member zoom call on the most wanted driver results.   You can find the replay in the thread.  It was discussed starting at about the 41:00 minute mark and Per Adam, the milled face was to control tolerances.   Milling a face typically won’t significantly impact spin; that is more related to weight placement and head design.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 2/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, Bob M said:

Then I was fitted on a track man at the shop. Wow, with both the Taylermade and Callaway Drivers I had about 6000 rpm spin and a rapid descent, but with the mill face of the Cobra i was at 1800 rpm spin with a much improved flight and distance. Bought this driver on the spot with this data. 

... Anything is possible with golf clubs and I am not doubting you but I have never seen anything close to that kind of difference. One of the reasons I don't trust indoor LM results. And I would add for most golfers, 1800 spin is way too low. You need to be at least over 105mph club head speed to reap the rewards of spin that low. While there are several factors including AOA and Launch angle, many here will fall into 2 categories for ideal spin:

84-96 mph  Launch 13-16  2400-2700 spin

72-83 mph  Launch 14-19  2600-2900 spin

... When I was playing a Cobra Speedzone Extreme I had mixed results. The difference between my longest and average drive was a pretty wide gap.  When I went to a driver fitting I found out I was spinning the ball around 1800-1900 which was not nearly enough for my 95mph swingspeed. After trying several different drivers the Taylor Made Sim Max was producing around 2500-2600 with more carry and a much tighter difference between my longest and my average. While there are certainly players, especially very high swing speed players that can benefit from less spin, I think the majority will benefit from more spin. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

my swing speed once warmed up is usually 99-106, which is I guess why I like the lower spin I get with this Conra driver according to your comments. I do tend to get very high drives with all my old drivers, but do get a nice height with this driver most of the time. I haven't tried adjusting the loft yet except a few shots out of curiosity. 

2 hours ago, bocaf said:

I'm thinking I would like to try a Cobra Driver. I have never had one before but have heard a lot of good things. I currently have a Mavrik SZ 9 w/ a HZRDUS stiff yellow shaft. My SS is about 108 when I get it up there. I know I should go get fit and yes, I have a nice driver now but I'm not familiar with all of the differences and wanted a recommendation for those that have maybe tried the F9, SZ or SZ Extreme.

... I think the F9 was one of the best drivers Cobra ever produced and fit a wide range of players. The SZ and SZ Extreme was another really good driver but fit those that needed less spin. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Got fit into the LTD LXS last year turned down to 7.5 loft, SS ranges 105-108.  Really saw a reduction in spin on my mishits compared to my old driver, which was a 20 year old knockoff my dad had built for me.  Think my distance gains were mainly from loft reduction (went form 10.5-7.5) and really improved my trajectory so was getting slightly more carry and obviously a lot more roll as well.  Only have half a year with the club but have been really happy with it.