Excessive heat

revkev

I know that folks in Texas have experienced this also, it was been an absolutely brutal six weeks in Florida.  Many of our days have had excessive heat warnings and our rain fall, which had almost made it back to normal has once again fallen 10 inches below, not good at all in a tropical climate because there's nothing to temper the heat and we always end up around the same rain amounts.  My experience is that if it doesn't come during the rainy season we get hammered by a tropical storm or two (sometimes a hurricane.)  

At any rate with this heat I had a heart event early last week - some of you may recall that I have an irregular heartbeat called SVT.  It means my heart is subject to beating very fast, over 200 beats per minute and that at times I'm unable to get it back to normal myself.  I had an ablation about 6 years ago, lost 45 pounds (I've get 25 off) and its been under control.  Thankfully I was able to self correct it because they treatment at the ER is brutal (they give me a medicine that stops my heart completely).  My doctor does not want me playing golf when the heat index is in the warning zone.  I haven't played a round in two weeks and only been out hitting into the net for 30 minutes or so in the evening.  It's killing me because I have these new irons in the bag that I want to try and I have the 9 hole Tuesday league that I play in - he said no to that if the heat index is over 105.  

I've got a tee time for Sunday afternoon - there's a 50 percent chance of rain which means the clouds will hold the heat index down.  This is really no fun.  Do take care of yourselves if you live in warmer climates.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

19 minutes ago, revkev said:

I know that folks in Texas have experienced this also, it was been an absolutely brutal six weeks in Florida.  Many of our days have had excessive heat warnings and our rain fall, which had almost made it back to normal has once again fallen 10 inches below, not good at all in a tropical climate because there's nothing to temper the heat and we always end up around the same rain amounts.  My experience is that if it doesn't come during the rainy season we get hammered by a tropical storm or two (sometimes a hurricane.)  

At any rate with this heat I had a heart event early last week - some of you may recall that I have an irregular heartbeat called SVT.  It means my heart is subject to beating very fast, over 200 beats per minute and that at times I'm unable to get it back to normal myself.  I had an ablation about 6 years ago, lost 45 pounds (I've get 25 off) and its been under control.  Thankfully I was able to self correct it because they treatment at the ER is brutal (they give me a medicine that stops my heart completely).  My doctor does not want me playing golf when the heat index is in the warning zone.  I haven't played a round in two weeks and only been out hitting into the net for 30 minutes or so in the evening.  It's killing me because I have these new irons in the bag that I want to try and I have the 9 hole Tuesday league that I play in - he said no to that if the heat index is over 105.  

I've got a tee time for Sunday afternoon - there's a 50 percent chance of rain which means the clouds will hold the heat index down.  This is really no fun.  Do take care of yourselves if you live in warmer climates.  

I have a tee time down in Myrtle Beach on Sunday the heat index is supposed to be 107. I am preparing for it the best I can. Gatorade, one of those mission hats you can soak in water, taking a cart instead of walking, and of course hitting as few shots as possible. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

7 hours ago, revkev said:

Take care of yourself.  Golf can wait for the medical ok.  I am playing less due to the excessive heat in TX and playing only as early as I can to avoid the heat. I am also drinking as much H2O as I can ou there.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

7 hours ago, revkev said:

Take care rev. That is scary. Sadly this is the norm we are pushing towards. The earth is heating up due to human induced climate acceleration. Soon we will be like this or worse. I saw a study that stated Portland OR will be like Sacramento by 2050

image.png.a22a50b3c6ff7d4cadc1d03a59f4d7f2.png

https://www.vox.com/a/weather-climate-change-us-cities-global-warming

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

9 hours ago, revkev said:

Just take it say and don’t push it.  I’ve had a home in central florida for 43 years and these heat waves go in cycles, and it just as hot here in middle Ga with some 99* temps and 108* heat index.  Ve got new clubs and have been trying to get some practice sessions but it’s really hard and imperative to slow down the pace.  Good luck and be safe!

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

9 hours ago, revkev said:

As frustrating as it is to wait on getting the new clubs into play, they'll be there when the temps change and you can get back out on the course. Any indoor LM facilities you could use to get some practice time with them and working on some inital gapping numbers?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

@revkev, take care of yourself!  Having lived in Key West for over 16 years, I think this has been our worst summer heat-wise (we won't mention the "H" word) we've had.  Luckily, our men's league have the first tee times so at least the sun isn't completely up when we start.  In the past, we've relied on the breeze off the water to help us cool down a little   Unfortunately, the waters just off Mallory Square and other areas around the island are about 91 degrees.  One of my golf buddies runs a shark feeding tour (one of top attractions in Key West) and had a couple of weeks where the sharks left for deeper water due to the high temperatures.  So we're not alone!

For those who can play in the heat, a little trick I use to keep cool and hydrated.  The night before I play I open a Gatorade, take a few sips and put it in the freezer.  The next morning it's completely frozen.   While frozen when you tee off, it will start to melt as you play making sure what you take a drink is cold and refreshing.  You'd be surprised how long it can last, typically 12-14 holes.  

As Sgt. Phil Esterhaus in Hill Street Blues would say, "Let's be careful out there."

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Thanks everyone and I’m being very careful. In regards to climate change there’s too much conflicting data to begin to know what will really happen in 2050. I’d just say each we need to fo our best to take care of our planet and leave it at that. Particularly here. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Wag 

10 hours ago, revkev said:

Thanks everyone and I’m being very careful. In regards to climate change there’s too much conflicting data to begin to know what will really happen in 2050. I’d just say each we need to fo our best to take care of our planet and leave it at that. Particularly here. 

Watching our (Sun City Center) weather from afar here in Ohio it looks like the rain seems to move more north of us. Our area which is just south of you is now in a drought situation. We're moving down (permanently) in 2 weeks so I've been closely monitoring it. 

I did read an interesting article the other day about hydration and the mistakes we make. The article suggested that we should be beginning to hydrate an hour before exposure to heat. I generally don't until perhaps the 4th or 5th hole. I also have an Aussie Chiller hat that can be soaked - think I'll be doing a lot of that as well. 

Stay safe Rev, don't risk your health. 

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention - before we left for Ohio a few weeks ago I bought a portable rechargeable fan for the golf cart (At Walmart for about $20.) We played a couple of rounds with it and the charge seem to last about 4 hours at medium speed. I mount it on the cart roof top grip and adjust it so it's facing my neck. I couldn't find the same one online - but it's similar to this one but less expensive.  It recharges via USB cable. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/10000Mah-Rechargeable-Portable-Fan-8-Inch-Battery-Powered-Clip-On-Usb-4-Speeds-Strong-Airflow-Sturdy-Desk-Clip-Fixing-Outdoor-Travel-Camping-Tent-Gym/1693626179?from=/search

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart