Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf swing that is easier for trail knee?

Any suggestions with a set up change or swing that will not stress my trail knee? I've been to the ortho/PT and since I am not ready for surgery as recommended, I am looking for a more knee friendly swing or atleast set-up adjustment. 

It looks like I will have my right (trail) knee replaced in the fall.  I don't have a lot of pain when I play, but it does ache when I walk and I have had awful pain when doing exercises... especially squats.  

I think a fundamentally good swing shouldn't hurt the trail knee all that much.  I felt much more pain in my left (lead) knee before I had it replaced in 2014 (lots of torque and weight put on it in the followthrough).  If your backswing has a lot of sway to the trail side, I could see that being a problem both during the backswing and downswing.

Check out Justin Rose's swing shown by Monte Scheinblum on Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C13PLEjrPCV/

There is not a lot of stress on his right knee, then as Rose transitions to his lead side and begins the downswing, his right foot comes up on the toe and there is very little weight on it.  If you keep your trail foot on the ground in the downswing like I did when I used the single plane swing, there is much more torque on that knee.  

I do wear a neoprene knee brace just for added assurance against a tweak so I don't think about the possibility of pain when I play.

As an alternative, you could look up the Stack & Tilt swing.  It had some following some years ago and a couple of pros used it.  I'm not a fan, but you might find it useful.  

Sounds like we might be laid up together with right TKR in the fall.  Believe me... getting my left knee replaced was the best thing I ever did!!  Very hard to finish a swing when you can't put any weight on that leg!!  My swing suffered as I kept hanging back.  

I could probably keep playing golf for another year on this right knee, but it's also painful with normal daily activities.  Tough getting old... if I'd known that I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself.

Good Luck!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It looks like I will have my right (trail) knee replaced in the fall.  I don't have a lot of pain when I play, but it does ache when I walk and I have had awful pain when doing exercises... especially squats.  

I think a fundamentally good swing shouldn't hurt the trail knee all that much.  I felt much more pain in my left (lead) knee before I had it replaced in 2014 (lots of torque and weight put on it in the followthrough).  If your backswing has a lot of sway to the trail side, I could see that being a problem both during the backswing and downswing.

Check out Justin Rose's swing shown by Monte Scheinblum on Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C13PLEjrPCV/

There is not a lot of stress on his right knee, then as Rose transitions to his lead side and begins the downswing, his right foot comes up on the toe and there is very little weight on it.  If you keep your trail foot on the ground in the downswing like I did when I used the single plane swing, there is much more torque on that knee.  

I do wear a neoprene knee brace just for added assurance against a tweak so I don't think about the possibility of pain when I play.

As an alternative, you could look up the Stack & Tilt swing.  It had some following some years ago and a couple of pros used it.  I'm not a fan, but you might find it useful.  

Sounds like we might be laid up together with right TKR in the fall.  Believe me... getting my left knee replaced was the best thing I ever did!!  Very hard to finish a swing when you can't put any weight on that leg!!  My swing suffered as I kept hanging back.  

I could probably keep playing golf for another year on this right knee, but it's also painful with normal daily activities.  Tough getting old... if I'd known that I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself.

Good Luck!

Great suggestions, Kenny. Thank you! It's interesting how ones physical limitations do not get a lot of attention in both lessons and on forums. I thought of stack and tilt for the knee problem. Plus, I have difficulty making a proper turn. I have a sway in the backswing. But, I'm worried about causing a problem on my lead knee. 

Check out this video. It is suggested that we make an effort to let the hips turn. Also, I am not sure if there's anything to it. But, it is also suggested to sit into the pelvis at address for an easier turn. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-QWi6-ahC0

I have to be careful when trying different things as it often makes the situation worse, I need that brace handy at all times, lol! 

Sr golfer here as well! 

Edited by NC Golfer