When playing in the wind how do you calculate extra or less club?

Javs

Moving to Texas forced me to learn how to be a better wind player. As a player that grew up on courses that required spot golf, I learned to hit high towering shots. I also learned how to spin the crap out of a shot when required. This was important to get the ball to sit quickly. However, the Texas wind caused me to go to lower flighted shots with much less spin. This article is also interesting on calculating distance on that windy day.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/tips/golf-swing/how-to-calculate-distance-in-the-wind-108215?utm_term=CFEB69DA-8695-406A-822D-71925C4B6E39&lrh=afabd56f8788996dec1eed39e53e29756a4fe34c1aff9fa4fdfa9f254cbb042a&utm_campaign=075440B8-601C-4440-A9B1-8A7444061AA8&utm_medium=email&utm_content=955696F6-5D43-45AB-BE2E-59DC9921F3DE&utm_source=SmartBrief

Play like a champion today!

Interesting read.  I guess you would have to know wind strength prior to the round or have at least a constant without gusts. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Just now, Josh Parker said:

Interesting read.  I guess you would have to know wind strength prior to the round or have at least a constant without gusts. 

I agree knowing the exact wind speed is not always possible. I had learned as a kid caddying to look at tree tops and flags etc. to watch how strong the wind was blowing. I have learned to calculate a distance then pick the club based on flight  and shot type. Example if I have 155 into a really stiff wind and if I estimate distance at say 170. If the shot I want to hit is a low penetrating shot, then I would pick a 6 iron choke down and play it back of normal in my stance. Then hit a low penetrating draw or hook into the green. Hope that made sense. 

I use a simple formula in that I add 1% for every mph into… so for example, 150 yard shot with a 10mph into = 150x1% =1.5 x 10 = 15 yards so playing about 165. 

Yes there is an estimation for wind, but I have a few a good app that I think is reasonable accurate. 

Downwind is same basis for calculation although only 0.5% for every mph downwind.. so using same example 150 x 0.5 = 0.75 x 10 = 7.5yards, so 150 playing 142.5 yards… 

It’s one I’ve stuck to in general over the years and broadly I feel it’s about right with experience etc.. there are some different adjustments to make when it’s a cross wind as whether you use the wind (ie hit draw with a right to left wind if right handed) or hold up into etc…

Edited by OldSchoolFlusher

WITB > Stealth 2 Driver > Mizuno STG 3 & 5 woods > Mizuno 243 Irons > Vokey SM9 Wedges (50,54,60)

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolFlusher said:

I use a simple formula in that I add 1% for every mph into… so for example, 150 yard shot with a 10mph into = 150x1% =1.5 x 10 = 15 yards so playing about 165. 

Yes there is an estimation for wind, but I have a few a good app that I think is reasonable accurate. 

Downwind is same basis for calculation although only 0.5% for every mph downwind.. so using same example 150 x 0.5 = 0.75 x 10 = 7.5yards, so 150 playing 142.5 yards… 

It’s one I’ve stuck to in general over the years and broadly I feel it’s about right with experience etc.. there are some different adjustments to make when it’s a cross wind as whether you use the wind (ie hit draw with a right to left wind if right handed) or hold up into etc…

That’s pretty much what the article had

The "number" the article doesn't really help with is estimation of wind speed itself.  Its relatively simple math to add 5% of the shot distance or subtract 3% or whatever, what's difficult is saying "This is about 10mph helping me".  Nothing wrong with the article, but it really does come down to experience in similar conditions.  So my answer, I make an educated guess!  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

25 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The "number" the article doesn't really help with is estimation of wind speed itself.  Its relatively simple math to add 5% of the shot distance or subtract 3% or whatever, what's difficult is saying "This is about 10mph helping me".  Nothing wrong with the article, but it really does come down to experience in similar conditions.  So my answer, I make an educated guess!  

Yes the shortcoming in the article was knowing exact wind speed. I do know from experience I have learned to add or subtract the amount of more or less club. It also as the article stated depends on the shot being hit. A lot goes into the calculation, I just found the article interesting. However, concede there are multiple ways to skin the cat and get to a club/shot choice. I guess the takeaway is if your method works nothing to change. If your method has flaws then this offered more information and tools for the toolbox. 

Edited by Javs

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

Yes the shortcoming in the article was knowing exact wind speed. I do know from experience I have learned to add or subtract the amount of more or less club. It also as the article stated depends on the shot being hit. A lot goes into the calculation, I just found the article interesting. However, concede there are multiple ways to skin the cat and get to a club/shot choice. I guess the takeaway is if your method ways nothing to change. It your method has flaws then this offered more information and tools for the toolbox. 

To me the best bit was the idea that for the same wind speed, you lose more going against it than you gain going with it.  I think its common to think of a specific wind speed as a "one-club wind", when it might be a half-club going downwind, but a full club going into the wind.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

To me the best bit was the idea that for the same wind speed, you lose more going against it than you gain going with it.  I think its common to think of a specific wind speed as a "one-club wind", when it might be a half-club going downwind, but a full club going into the wind.  

Agree, additionally what they left out was sometimes down wind the ball can be knocked down as well on shorter wedge shots. 

Edited by Javs

37 minutes ago, Javs said:

That’s pretty much what the article had

Ah.. didnt take the time to read it, just saw the thread and shared - should have read the 1st part! At least I know my method isnt miles off the pace 🙂 

WITB > Stealth 2 Driver > Mizuno STG 3 & 5 woods > Mizuno 243 Irons > Vokey SM9 Wedges (50,54,60)

... Interesting as I just went through this yesterday when the winds were at 15-20 mph all round long. I'll say up front I am a right brain feel player and could never go through the calculations suggested in the article. I imagine many left brain golfers might find it helpful. 

... Wind usually doesn't have either a steady pace or direction. Although I played in Dallas back in the 90's for a long weekend and the wind was much more consistent than the Midwest or here in Phoenix. I started my round yesterday hitting into a 15 mph wind and from 179 to a front pin I hit a low flying knockdown shot with my 205 hybrid about as good as I could possibly hit it. Bored right through the wind and ended up on the back fringe of the green. The rest of the day was similar trying to judge the wind speed and direction when it was gusty and moving around as much as 45*. I just don't see how any kind of system can take that into account. I just have to feel the shot and execute to the best of my ability. 

... Like most shots in golf, I think you just have to fully commit and then trust you made the right read. Downwind I play the ball like normal and make sure I don't over swing because as several have mentioned not having enough spin on a downwind shot will kinda nose dive instead of carry. And if you hit it harder than normal and impart more spin it can climb higher and carry more than you want. On a tough par 3 I had 160 to a front pin and just hit my normal 9i that is my 145 club. Landed a little left and pin high rolling out more than normal but still leaving a 10 footer for birdie. Into the wind I move the ball back about 2" and use an abbreviated backswing and follow through always keeping up my speed. Any deceleration can really derail the shot and you just have to trust taking 2 or even 3 more clubs won't fly too far. 

... All in all I was very happy with my round in the wind and misjudged several shots coming up just a little short or just a little long but on the green and chance for birdie, even if they were long chances. I will often play a little better in the wind because it forces me to concentrate more than just a stock normal swing and playing 4-5 days a week, I can get mentally lazy sometimes. Not so in 20 mph winds or an instant disaster can derail the round. Like most adverse conditions in any sport, embracing the challenge and enjoying it is the key to good play. (Something I cannot do in the cold and why I moved to AZ 😎🥶

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Me? I just look down at my watch and use the club that it suggests. (It factors in wind, elevation change, and humidity.) I guess the pros can't use that, but I'm not a pro! 😁

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

Andrew rice put something out a few years ago that with hitting in a 10mph wind at 15% and use whatever that club is. So 150 yards into a 10mph wind would be 165 yards, grab the club that gets you 165

Wind at the back doesn’t help as much as into the wind hurts 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

12 hours ago, VernL4 said:

Me? I just look down at my watch and use the club that it suggests. (It factors in wind, elevation change, and humidity.) I guess the pros can't use that, but I'm not a pro! 😁

While I suggest you should do what you want, anyone who is playing in accordance with the Rules of Golf can't use that.  That group is a lot larger than just the professional tours.

55 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Andrew rice put something out a few years ago that with hitting in a 10mph wind at 15% and use whatever that club is. So 150 yards into a 10mph wind would be 165 yards, grab the club that gets you 165

This math doesn't work, unless you've made a typo.  15% of 150 is 22.5 additional yards, not 15.  

One thing that I think becomes important in the wind, I try to be less "judgmental" in evaluating my shots.  My dispersion will naturally become larger as I mis-read the wind speed or direction, as gusts and calm moments occur, etc.  Solid swings and good contact will regularly produce disappointing results.  Windy days become a real exercise in patience and acceptance.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

While I suggest you should do what you want, anyone who is playing in accordance with the Rules of Golf can't use that.  That group is a lot larger than just the professional tours.

This math doesn't work, unless you've made a typo.  15% of 150 is 22.5 additional yards, not 15.  

One thing that I think becomes important in the wind, I try to be less "judgmental" in evaluating my shots.  My dispersion will naturally become larger as I mis-read the wind speed or direction, as gusts and calm moments occur, etc.  Solid swings and good contact will regularly produce disappointing results.  Windy days become a real exercise in patience and acceptance.

Yeah, that was a typo. 

I don’t get too hung up on misses in the wind for similar reasons 

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 Observations

1. On downwind shots, unless you get "on top of the wind" it will hurt the shot's carry more than help because it will flatten-out the trajectory.

2. A friend played with Sam Snead competitively and said, regarding the wind,- "if it ain't helpin', it's hurtin'." I think this referred to crosswinds.

3. A Canadian friend reported that, on tournament days, Moe Norman used to call the local airport to find out the winds at various lower levels.  Seems like a pretty advanced thing for Moe, but he was known for his  tremendous accuracy.  

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

10 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

3 Observations

1. On downwind shots, unless you get "on top of the wind" it will hurt the shot's carry more than help because it will flatten-out the trajectory.

2. A friend played with Sam Snead competitively and said, regarding the wind,- "if it ain't helpin', it's hurtin'." I think this referred to crosswinds.

3. A Canadian friend reported that, on tournament days, Moe Norman used to call the local airport to find out the winds at various lower levels.  Seems like a pretty advanced thing for Moe, but he was known for his  tremendous accuracy.  

Moe Norman might have been the best pure ball striker. It’s a shame he didn’t have the mental and emotional ability to handle being on tour. 

About to go find out how accurate this is.  Playing shortly and the wind is cranking. 

20mph winds and bigger gust. 

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

About to go find out how accurate this is.  Playing shortly and the wind is cranking. 

20mph winds and bigger gust. 

It’s very windy today!

49 minutes ago, Javs said:

It’s very windy today!

Hit a punch 7 for a 148yd downhill shot that is normally gap wedge or 3/4 PW on the 9th in to the wind. 

20240204_154701.jpg.d762998cb0a2b4216e42949902f72615.jpg

Even with a number of mph for wind the gusts and die downs are too unpredictable for me to calculate on each shot. I’m definitely more of a feel player in the wind. I will say in a more competitive round I’ll stand over the ball longer or take a a little Longer on the pre-shot routine to try make sure the wind is going to be as constant so when I commit to the shot it’s based off that current condition. But I am usually just making an educated guess for number of clubs up or down from standard. 

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Playing with 3 clubs & a putter once in a while is a great way to create lots of different "feel" shots - we call it "Seve Style."

It also smacks you in the face with the reminder to have a strategy for each hole/shot.

The course my wife and I play has five sets of tees, so we do this format when it's hot and we want to play quickly or if it's super windy. 

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

The challenge I typically have with the wind (and we get a decent amount from different directions here) is not overswinging.  You'd think after so many years of playing golf and intellectually knowing NOT to overswing, that almost instinctively I feel I have to swing harder into the wind.   That just compounds a bad situation. 

I'll have a good test tomorrow as they are predicting mid 20's with gusts into the mid-30's during our round.  Throw in low to mid-60's temperatures for us thin blooded Key West golfers, and it's perfect scoring conditions!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

That's strange.  Yesterday I commented on a thread about playing in high winds and today they were blowing 27-36 mph.   I must have picked up some good advice as I shot 83.  

On Wednesday before my next round, I'll have to look for a thread on getting a hole in one!

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

The average daily wind here is 17.2 mph. I play a lot of 3/4 knockdown shots with 1 more club to a certain yardage. I can’t say that I use a specific formula anymore. I just have in my mind if it’s a 1, 2, or 3 club wind. 

We have a new driving range/practice facility that has north and south facing range tee boxes (tee lines?) so I can hit from either side if I want to “dial in” how much it affects the ball on that day.

But most important is number 9, an island green modeled after 17 at TPC Sawgrass. It is very unforgiving. We have a practice pitching green that I will drop some balls 130 from there into the same direction as Hole 9 and hit a few balls so that I have a pretty good idea what to hit on that hole.  

Usually I’m not overly concerned about approach shots with the wind other than to see where I want to miss if I get the distance wrong. 9 and 18 are island greens. 6 & 16 have water short and right. Etc. So I want to err on the safe side. There are a number of holes that I will look at the pin location on the tee and see where I want to attempt to hit my drive to give me the best angle. 

Having said all that, the last couple of rounds the wind has been way below normal, and I’ve played like crap.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 3 weeks later...

In the past couple of months, we have added a new wrinkle to our money games. A deuce pot. Put $20 into the pot, everyone who makes a 2 on any hole gets a share. I didn’t immediately participate in it, but it was pointed out that with my putting, I was a threat to have a deuce every time I hit the green on a par 3. That was true, but I wasn’t hitting the greens on par3’s. 

So how could I fix this? 

Practice. But even then, the wind changes everyday. 

In the previous post 3 weeks ago, I spoke about hitting a few balls at the pitching green. Our par 3’s are 4, 9, 13, & 17. 17 is basically the same direction as the driving range. But I got on Google Earth and laid out some “tee boxes” to practice. So before the rounds if no one is in the way I’ll grab a dozen range balls and go to these areas. This has really help my par 3 scores. IMG_1707.jpeg.788c79ca0f893ae5459e807648ba0f3d.jpeg

Yellow is 4, red is 9, and blue is 13. I’ve only been able to practice 13 twice. But it is similar to 9. 

So now when I step on to the tee box of a par 3, it is not the first time I’ve hit that shot today. 

Also, even if I don’t get to practice these that day, I know that certain holes have a similar line and wind direction. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Great read! I was out today in windy conditions and just clubbed up a full club for the shots into the wind. I always forget to check the wind before I play, though I do check the trees for movement. The chart will help take the guesswork out of it. Thanks for posting the article.

DR

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 8:54 PM, VernL4 said:

Which app? Does it suggest club off of your known distances or just off a app standard?

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

11 hours ago, PrismFlopper said:

Which app? Does it suggest club off of your known distances or just off a app standard?

I have a Garmin watch. The club suggestions are based on the average shot distance for each club. It asks which club I used after each shot that I take. After 5 rounds of golf, it starts to suggest which club to use. 

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

27 minutes ago, VernL4 said:

I have a Garmin watch. The club suggestions are based on the average shot distance for each club. It asks which club I used after each shot that I take. After 5 rounds of golf, it starts to suggest which club to use. 

Just be careful using that feature in a proper competition.  For most casual play, I'd guess nobody will complain.  But the Rules specifically do NOT allow using a device to:

"Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball)"

This is in Rule 4.3a(1).  Again, I don't have a problem with its use in casual play, I just like folks to learn about the Rules.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia