Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Cracked Driver Head

Subdiver1

Shifted from hitting soon warm up iron shots to the driver yesterday and on the second shot something didn't sound right. A couple of guys commented, "What WAS that?" And I responded that something wasn't right and the shot sounded weird. Put the club head back down to line up for a 3rd shot and 😲, WTH?!?!

Anybody seen this before?  I sent am email to Ping yesterday, but I'm searching around for a replacement head now.  Spring weather is supposed to finally start coming around (🤞) so I may be stuck playing my old 975D next weekend.

20240310_093036.jpg

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

1 hour ago, Subdiver1 said:

Shifted from hitting soon warm up iron shots to the driver yesterday and on the second shot something didn't sound right. A couple of guys commented, "What WAS that?" And I responded that something wasn't right and the shot sounded weird. Put the club head back down to line up for a 3rd shot and 😲, WTH?!?!

Anybody seen this before?  I sent am email to Ping yesterday, but I'm searching around for a replacement head now.  Spring weather is supposed to finally start coming around (🤞) so I may be stuck playing my old 975D next weekend.

20240310_093036.jpg

That sucks - had my Callaway break in a similar way. 

While not common I have seen a few PING break like that.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Oh no!!!  Hope they get back quickly and make it right!!!

I'm guessing that the internal structural support twisted and popped through causing that crack, as it seems to be centrally located.

Did you buy direct or through a store?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I have cracked a face on my hybrid but this kind of crack is quite unprecedented. 

I hope Ping replaces it. As they should. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

After a little google reading, this is actually a common issue from the g400 and up.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

20240310_093036.jpg

First off you are an animal! Ha ha. No that really sucks. Hopefully they replace it. I cracked a 3 wood last year, but it was on the face. Only thing on a driver I had happen was one of the weights come loose. 

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That sucks - had my Callaway break in a similar way. 

While not common I have seen a few PING break like that.

On one-hand, I'm glad to hear this was not a one-off, miracle; on the other hand, I'm sorry to hear anyone else had it happen.

Interesting that you've seen it in other Ping heads.

@Rob Person thank you and thanks for the information. Weird that it is common. I heard back initially thatbit is outside the 3 year window, but I think it I got it new, as a replacement in mid 2021 or 2022 which is less than 3-years so I reached out to my local pro at the course who helped me get the first replacement to see if they have the record. 🤞

Weird stuff though and I love this driver.

6 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

@Rob Person thank you and thanks for the information. Weird that it is common. I heard back initially thatbit is outside the 3 year window, but I think it I got it new, as a replacement in mid 2021 or 2022 which is less than 3-years so I reached out to my local pro at the course who helped me get the first replacement to see if they have the record. 🤞

Weird stuff though and I love this driver.

Doesn’t matter when you bought it. The warranty is from the date of manufacturer.  So if it’s the g400 you are well past the 3 year warranty period.

The g410 is also past that period.

The g425 is close if not past it for most heads.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Doesn’t matter when you bought it. The warranty is from the date of manufacturer.  So if it’s the g400 you are well past the 3 year warranty period.

The g410 is also past that period.

The g425 is close if not past it for most heads.

Ummm...I wont argue that Ping may assert that in the end, but I am going to argue thatbthe club was shipped, from Ping, new on x-date.

I did the search fir their warranty, starting on their site, then expanded to the rest of the web when I couldn't find it there. I found your post from 2020 about them not having a specific policy posted; which I find kind of disconcerting.  Titleist web site lists: "one year from date of purchase." Callaway, two years from date of purchase, "from an authorized Callawy Golf retailer or distributor." TM, "2 years from date of original purchase..." 

I bought my 2018 car brend new with 57 miles on it in 2019, tue warranty started the day of purchase, not the day it rolled off the assembly line.

My TV warranty starts on date of purchase, my computer, my phone, my car, all the things I buy NEW that I can think of have the original warranty start on date of purchase. 

I understand what you said in the 2020 post about the 3 release cycles issue, but I would again argue that not much I have seen is based on manufacture date; all based on original purchase date, including other club manufacturers. 

In the end, with nothing in writing on the site and no documentation to the contrary in habd, if they want to go with manufacture date vs. date of "original sale" well, I'm not sure what to say.  I love the club, I may have to suck it up and buy a used head for $200-300 off the open market and then figure out what's next.  But I'm too hardheaded to just take "no" for an answer. Especially in the face of other examples to the contrary.

Cheers

39 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

Ummm...I wont argue that Ping may assert that in the end, but I am going to argue thatbthe club was shipped, from Ping, new on x-date.

I did the search fir their warranty, starting on their site, then expanded to the rest of the web when I couldn't find it there. I found your post from 2020 about them not having a specific policy posted; which I find kind of disconcerting.  Titleist web site lists: "one year from date of purchase." Callaway, two years from date of purchase, "from an authorized Callawy Golf retailer or distributor." TM, "2 years from date of original purchase..." 

I bought my 2018 car brend new with 57 miles on it in 2019, tue warranty started the day of purchase, not the day it rolled off the assembly line.

My TV warranty starts on date of purchase, my computer, my phone, my car, all the things I buy NEW that I can think of have the original warranty start on date of purchase. 

I understand what you said in the 2020 post about the 3 release cycles issue, but I would again argue that not much I have seen is based on manufacture date; all based on original purchase date, including other club manufacturers. 

In the end, with nothing in writing on the site and no documentation to the contrary in habd, if they want to go with manufacture date vs. date of "original sale" well, I'm not sure what to say.  I love the club, I may have to suck it up and buy a used head for $200-300 off the open market and then figure out what's next.  But I'm too hardheaded to just take "no" for an answer. Especially in the face of other examples to the contrary.

Cheers

There was a recent thread about Ping and the person being told from manufactured date. I’ve dealt with Ping and have friends that have as well as my previous fitter being a Ping staffer and it’s from the manufacturers date. Doesn’t matter if it shipped directly from Ping new or not. G400 as mentioned is well past the 3 year mark of even the release date as is the g410. 

Comparing other products to a golf club isn’t relevant. Each business sets their own policy. Those others that you mentioned also sell extended warranties and golf manufacturers don’t.

Ping may be generous and send a previous release they may have laying around but there’s more than likely a chance they wont

Also 3 years is them being generous because they only used to be 2 years 

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@Subdiver1major bummer…that G400 was IMO the best head they’ve made in years.

Hoping you keep us posted on what happens…

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

Discussed a little on their customer service FAQ page:  https://ping.com/en-us/customer-service/frequently-asked-questions

What should I do if I think there is a defect with my product?

At PING, we stand behind the workmanship and the materials involved in the manufacturing and production of our equipment and accessories. Our current policies protect your purchase from defect and are evaluated on an as needed basis. If you have any questions regarding our policies that protect your PING investment please feel free to call (800) 474-6434 and we would be happy to discuss your situation and provide the options that may be available.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Discussed a little on their customer service FAQ page:  https://ping.com/en-us/customer-service/frequently-asked-questions

At PING, we stand behind the workmanship and the materials involved in the manufacturing and production of our equipment and accessories. Our current policies protect your purchase from defect and are evaluated on an as needed basis. If you have any questions regarding our policies that protect your PING investment please feel free to call (800) 474-6434 and we would be happy to discuss your situation and provide the options that may be available.

Honestly…the best approach…be kind and see what they have to say.  I can’t say what they’ll do but I can say if you’re kind and friendly you may up your odds of replacement.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

@Subdiver1major bummer…that G400 was IMO the best head they’ve made in years.

Hoping you keep us posted on what happens…

I haven't found anything to beat it yet.  I did the BlackOps challenge about a week ago and that one came close.  I picked up 4-6 MPH in head speed.  But I think it has something to do with shaft length as their shaft is 1/2"-1" longer than my  current shaft.  

I'd be happy to get a replacement head. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Honestly…the best approach…be kind and see what they have to say.  I can’t say what they’ll do but I can say if you’re kind and friendly you may up your odds of replacement.  

Exactly what I have been doing.  I have the course pulling the sale/shipping record so I have a date.  Then I'll reach out and ASK that they consider that date and see what they will do.  If they won't do anything what am I going to say?  "You guys are SO MEAN!  I am going to buy somebody else's club because your a bench of meanies."

I'd be happy if they could offer me a replacement 400 head even if I have to pay for it.  Hopefully not $300.

I think the 410 was comparable; I played one for a few weeks when my first 400 head cracked and felt like it was very close.  But the problem with even a 410 is that my shaft is set up for a 400, so I guess i'd need to replace the adapter.

Bottom line: Not much I can do if they say, "No." But, unless you present your case, you are already at, "No."  Not sure what I am going to do for this weekend though; play the 975D I guess 🤣

Edited by Subdiver1

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I read that and that is why I emailed; I wasn't somewhere where I could call and wanted to get ahead of it.  I figure once I get the info form teh course/pro I'll call and go person to person.  Sometimes enacting with a human vs. email create that human connection that allows some additional consideration.

28 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

I read that and that is why I emailed; I wasn't somewhere where I could call and wanted to get ahead of it.  I figure once I get the info form teh course/pro I'll call and go person to person.  Sometimes enacting with a human vs. email create that human connection that allows some additional consideration.

Hey it won’t hurt to ask. You might be pleasantly surprised. As you mentioned make a human connection and give them the details. Ask what they can do and how much you love their product. Hey if they won’t replace it they may give you a huge discount on a new model. That’s what I had happen with my 3 wood. While not a ping, most companies what to do the right thing. It makes not sense for them to be penny wise and dollar dumb. Especially since you have thousands of people now watching how they handle this situation. Wish you the best of luck!

Play like a champion today!

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Comparing other products to a golf club isn’t relevant. Each business sets their own policy. Those others that you mentioned also sell extended warranties and golf manufacturers don’t.

3 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

Exactly what I have been doing.  I have the course pulling the sale/shipping record so I have a date.  Then I'll reach out and ASK that they consider that date and see what they will do.  If they won't do anything what am I going to say?  "You guys are SO MEAN!  I am going to buy somebody else's club because your a bench of meanies."

I'd be happy if they could offer me a replacement 400 head even if I have to pay for it.  Hopefully not $300.

I think the 410 was comparable; I played one for a few weeks when my first 400 head cracked and felt like it was very close.  But the problem with even a 410 is that my shaft is set up for a 400, so I guess i'd need to replace the adapter.

Bottom line: Not much I can do if they say, "No." But, unless you present your case, you are already at, "No."  Not sure what I am going to do for this weekend though; play the 975D I guess 🤣

That was the biggest bummer about the 400-410 evolution, a new shaft adapter.

Ya know what…run down to the shop and toss a 43.5” Dynamic Gold X100 in that 975D and go hit some BOMBS!  🙂

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There was a recent thread about Ping and the person being told from manufactured date. I’ve dealt with Ping and have friends that have as well as my previous fitter being a Ping staffer and it’s from the manufacturers date. Doesn’t matter if it shipped directly from Ping new or not. G400 as mentioned is well past the 3 year mark of even the release date as is the g410. 

Ping may be generous and send a previous release they may have laying around but there’s more than likely a chance they wont

Also 3 years is them being generous because they only used to be 2 years 

This entire thread started out as a "Wow!  Look at what happened, and at such an inopportune time. Has anyone else seen this?" Thank you for morphing it into a Business 101 and Warranty Law course. 🥳

Warranties are ABSOLUTELY something that various companies copy across similar product lines and in many cases across industries.  They imply product quality and are designed to draw consumers from other products by implying X company's product is better than Y company's similar product and here we will show you by standing behind our product for 3-years instead of two. Consumers like that ...stuff for some reason 🤔 Go figure.

I have also dealt with Ping in the past and their service was outstanding.  I have other friends who have had the same experience.  As a matter of fact my last dealing the question of when I purchased the driver was addresses, not when it was manufactured.  I have read some through some of the other threads and have seen the comments on manufacture date.  Great!  Where is that written? 🤔 We  will see why that is important in a moment...before that let's continue to talk business practices for a moment longer:

Aside from crossing industries, warranty terms are typically similar within an industry.  One similarity among all the previously mentioned manufacturers is the specific statement, "from original date of purchase."

Titleist: "one year from date of purchase."

Callaway: "two years from date of purchase, from an authorized Callawy Golf retailer or distributor."

TM, "2 years from date of original purchase..." 

Adams Golf, " two (2) years from the original date of purchase from adamsgolf.com or from an authorized retailer"

Dunlop (Srixon / Cleveland Golf / XXIO): "one year from the date of first retail sale"

None of these manufacturers include any reference to release date in their warranty.  And the duration of their warranty is IN WRITING, X-years from Y-date.  Why is that important?

Warranties are often governed by law or regulation.  Manufacturer warranty law is regulated by the Uniform Commercial Code, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and Federal Trade Commission rules.  These laws ands regulations cover Express and/or Implied guarantees of quality and/or reliability; a promise that a product will perform as described.   

An EXPRESS warranty is a written or spoken promise from a manufacturer or retailer.  Federal law requires that written warranties that come with products costing more than $10 be labeled "full" or "limited" and any product that costs more than $15 the retailed must  make the terms of any warranty available BEFORE purchase of the product.  Among other details, full warranties are transferable, do not limit implied warranties and do not require a consumer to pay for any part of a warranty service (e.g. shipping charges).

A LIMITED warranties don't have to meet all those requirements.

In other words, they must make you aware of what you are getting for that guarantee, such as if that product is last year's model and they got it the year before as an early manufacture release that it wouldn't be warrantied because the coverage was 2-years from date of manufacture, vice date of purchase. Good to know when you are spending $400 for last years $500 driver right? 

An IMPLIED warranty is an unwritten, automatic protection granted by law.  Implied warranties cover products even when there isn't a written warranty, unless the seller gives a written notice that there’s no warranty, or marks the product "as is;" if that State law allows it.  Implied warranties are actually covered by State laws.  These are protections that products are free of "substantial defects" and will "function properly" for a "reasonable period of time."  In some States "reasonable period of time" is mandated for a minimum of 4-years.  Implied warranties can only be avoided, legally, when a product is sold "as-is."  Eleven States prohibit sale of products "as-is" to by-pass implied warranties.  "As-is are usually applied to used products or something that may not be fully conforming to a given spec (some may be familiar with "blems" or seconds that are sold new, but as is).   Implied warranties can be limited to the duration of a limited warranty.

What is required in most all cases to claim warranty coverage???  Guesses anyone?  Proof of Purchase.  Federal Law (Magnuson-Moss) requires that the duration of the warranty be stated in writing; 3-years?  Great!  When that period starts MUST be stated in writing in the policy.  Proof of Purchase is almost uniformly listed as part of a warranty policy because it establishes the date of purchase, or one other automobile industry terminology, "date first put into service."  BTW, In Europe, a manufacturer’s warranty is required by law to last a minimum of two years, not just one as in the United States. And European warranties begin when a product is received, not when it was purchased.  So if it takes 6-months for your new release, first on the market club to be delivered, your warranty starts the day you get it, not on the day your cc got charged. 

The ONLY place I have seen anything about date of manufacture is from Cobra where they state: "One year from the date of purchase, no more than Two years from the manufactures release date of the product against defects in materials or workmanship."

So, now that we are all a little smarter about warranties 🤓 am I going to call Ping tomorrow and start yelling at the poor CS Rep about how their policy is not compliant to State and Federal Law or Regulation and "they had better fix my stuff or I'll call their mommy!"  NO.  Am I going to fly to Ping corporate offices and schedule a meeting with the VP of Customer Relations because they are not in compliance, as far as I can tell and because I was inconvenienced?  NO.  Am I going to have a lawyer who knows all the rest of the laws and the stuff I missed or am not aware of write a nasty-gram to Ping about the injustice of not getting something for free?  NO>.  Am I going to act like some keyboard warrior battling the mean ol' corporate giants from my mommy's basement because my sensitivities have been hurt and my self-esteem being irreparably damaged by them nicely telling me "No. It is outside our policy"; even though I can't find the policy somewhere?  NO.  Am I going to swear off Ping unless they "do me right?" NO.

What am I going to do?  I'm going to provide a receipt, if it is within the 3-year of purchase window; and if it is, I am going to ASK nicely, what they might be willing or able to do for me; because I actually like their product; I have been happy with customer service in the past; and I really want to continue playing THAT product.  If they cannot, or will not, do anything for me; be it due to policy or because it is the second Thursday in March on an even numbered year; I willshed a tear for the end of a beautiful era in my golf game and a gap in my bag. I'll go get fitted again and find a replacement (I hope), and if Ping wins out that trail, then GREAT!  If not well...🤷‍♂️ I guess I'll have to change my WITB banner.

End Rant

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

That was the biggest bummer about the 400-410 evolution, a new shaft adapter.

Ya know what…run down to the shop and toss a 43.5” Dynamic Gold X100 in that 975D and go hit some BOMBS!  🙂

I have the old maroon Grafalloy Prolite 35+ shaft on it.  It's always fun to blow it by the young guys with that relic.  

7 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

I have the old maroon Grafalloy Prolite 35+ shaft on it.  It's always fun to blow it by the young guys with that relic.  

That was the one that started it all…maroon was always superior to the black…not for any other reason that it showed your opponents…dude, this guy means business!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

That was the one that started it all…maroon was always superior to the black…not for any other reason that it showed your opponents…dude, this guy means business!

I had to reread that, I kept seeing "That was the one that started it all... the moron..." 🤣🤦‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

I had to reread that, I kept seeing "That was the one that started it all... the moron..." 🤣🤦‍♂️

I think it’s safe to say that’s enough internet for tonight!

• Srixon Z-Star XV