Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How Is torque measured, static or dynamic?

Time for a new thread on torque questions.  Do shaft makers use a static or a dynamic test?  Is anybody using supercomputer tech to measure torque?  And now that we are well into shafts with distinctly different sections, what part of a shaft does a torque number measure?  And finally if I take a shaft to 5 different company labs, will the torque number measure the same?

Are torque numbers more useful only within a company's own product line, or can I really use a Fujikura torque number and a Graphite Design number and compare them?  I know that flex is subjective across companies, a given shaft might be called reg at one company and stiff at another.   

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

While I know the basics - overall this is beyond my pay grade. 

The world of shafts is a little beyond me and there are is much that is different between brands and how they do this or that it is a bit if a crap shoot.

Hopefully some others more knowledgeable than me can chime in!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The truth is nobody knows. Torque is a misnomer anyway because it relates to a force which should be measured in ft/lbs, but instead the figure given for shafts is in degrees.

Nobody knows what force is applied to the shaft to record a measurement of deflection, nobody knows how long the fulcrum is to apply the force, the velocity of the force, how long the shaft is, and nobody knows knows if the force is sustained or timed. Nobody will say if the deflection in degrees is an upper limit (before the shaft will break), an mean/average figure, or a standard deviation.

Each OEM may well have their own method of how 'torque' is calculated - and how it is applied in terms of rating for each shaft. In general terms 'low torque' shafts will tend to feel harsh and boardy, 'high torque' shafts will tend to feel softer and looser. That in turn is a product of how they are constructed - you can't have a 'high torque' shaft that is heavy and has an uber stiff tip, and you can't have a 'low torque' shaft that is very light with a soft tip. Think about how a shaft is made with multiple plys of fiber and how those plys are placed and you'll get a picture of how 'torque' generally mirrors the profile of the shaft and it's weight to flex ratio.

Which in turn doesn't apply to steel shafts - because most are around the 1.1 - 2 degrees of 'torque' mark but feel anything but harsh or boardy. Probably because steel is an entirely different material, not made of multiple plys and more malleable.

So in summary, 'torque' is all talk.

All I know is that it is another non standard measurement in the golf industry and that most knowledgeable people will say torque is about personal feel.  The below article seems to give the same thoughts expressed above

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/shaft-101-torque/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

"Torque", which indeed is a misnomer, as it really refers to resistance to twisting when it comes to golf shafts, is measured differently by virtually all manufacturers.  There are some companies, and independent testing facilities that have very sophisticated computerized machines that measure "torque" in shafts, and others that use very rudimentary devices.  Because of this, "torque" is really not a very consistent measure from one shaft manufacturer to another.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 3/15/2024 at 5:46 AM, funkyjudge said:

"Torque", which indeed is a misnomer, as it really refers to resistance to twisting when it comes to golf shafts, is measured differently by virtually all manufacturers.  There are some companies, and independent testing facilities that have very sophisticated computerized machines that measure "torque" in shafts, and others that use very rudimentary devices.  Because of this, "torque" is really not a very consistent measure from one shaft manufacturer to another.

Thanks, that is the first and most important answer.  Comparing torque numbers within a company is useful, comparing Fujikura number to UST Mamiya is less useful?  Comparing the best torque of Fujikura to the best of UST tells us a little useful info, but even then are not directly comparable.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Even the amount of times where torque is measured varies between companies. They can be done on different sides, near the spine or away from it that can produce different results. Just a tricky thing to properly gauge all around. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 3/15/2024 at 8:08 AM, cnosil said:

All I know is that it is another non standard measurement in the golf industry and that most knowledgeable people will say torque is about personal feel.  The below article seems to give the same thoughts expressed above

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/shaft-101-torque/

On 3/15/2024 at 8:46 AM, funkyjudge said:

These posts are correct.

Ive been to two different shaft manufacturers for a visit. Both measure differently. 

Whenever a discussion about torque or flex comes up I regret not videoing swings of me or those I was with when trying to swing a shaft that measured 2.1 for torque and was labeled stiff flex and even when the slowest guy in the group swung it the shaft looked like a noodle.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1