Golf Sunglass Lenses - Different Ball Colors

In an effort to get proper sunglass lenses for me on the golf course, I reached out to a couple vendors to see if they could provide me with some information centered around which lenses would be the best option for a variety of golf ball colors.

I've been playing white balls for as long as I can remember. But this year I'm trying a bit of different approach by going to yellow balls to see if I notice them more/less or if they affect my game at all. So this led me to wonder what lenses would be the most beneficial for using a yellow golf ball.

I've played Oakley Flak 2.0 XL frames for as long as I can remember. I've had multiple different types of their Prism lenses over the years, but wanted something with their "backing" if you will. I've been using the Golf Prism, which is the obvious choice with a white ball. But with the opportunity to swap lenses very easily, here is what I received from 2 different places for replacement lenses.

Oakley
White: Prizm Golf
Yellow: Prizm Deep Water Polarized
Green: Prizm Trail
Red: Prizm Road

Fuse Lenses
White Ball: AMP Grey
Yellow Ball: AMP Brown or Amber
Green Ball: AMP Grey, AMP Glacier Mirror (AMP Carbon Mirror for a darker lens)
Red Ball: AMP Brown, AMP Sapphire Mirror

Fuse lenses are far less money compared to the Oakley's, but their quality is just as high. Plus their customer service appears to be much better and more attentive. Hopefully this helps you with your eyewear on the course to help get the most from your vision.

I have all but the Prizm Trail from Oakley, and I just ordered the AMP Glacier Mirror and the AMP v26 (not listed) and I'll see about doing a member review of them. The v26 is a more shooting sport centered lens, but we'll see if it does anything on the course.

Edited by Shrek74

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

Let us know how polarized works on the greens.  I couldn't read greens any better than my smartphone screen wearing polarized, and I've got enough issues reading them when I can see well that I don't need any help from my sun glasses three putting.......

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

I like the deep water lenses from Oakley but not my go to option for the course. Prism golf or prizm dark golf are my two options for golf. I don’t like polarized lenses on the green so I just avoid them when playing golf.

for a colored ball the prizm trail would probably be an option outside of the golf lenses 

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I like the deep water lenses from Oakley but not my go to option for the course. Prism golf or prizm dark golf are my two options for golf. I don’t like polarized lenses on the green so I just avoid them when playing golf.

for a colored ball the prizm trail would probably be an option outside of the golf lenses 

Since I have 3 frames for the Oakley Flak 2.0 XL, I'll probably set one up in the Deep Water Polarized, one in the Prizm Golf, and one in the AMP Glacier Mirror and see what I see when I finally get on the course.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

Just bought a pair of Revo driver lenses and love them. Brown what a hint of red, which I think is similar to the Oakley prism golf, but the revos come in nicer styles. 

I've loved Serengeti lenses for driving, but they're REALLY hard to find and try in the US. I finally ordered a pair online to try vs the Revos and prefer the Revos. The Descend model wraps nicely and is very light. Similar to Maui Jim hookipas in Rose except not quite as Pink.

You can try online and return free if they don't work out.

The Revos are polarized, but they don't bother me as much as others. I can see the gauges in my car and my phone, which is nice.

Edited by marcva
Comment on polarization.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, ktgolfs said:

@NM01Which do you like better between the Oakley prizm golf vs prizm dark golf lenses?  

Another option to consider that is similar is the Revo Driver lenses. Brown with a bit of red in them.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, Shrek74 said:

Since I have 3 frames for the Oakley Flak 2.0 XL, I'll probably set one up in the Deep Water Polarized, one in the Prizm Golf, and one in the AMP Glacier Mirror and see what I see when I finally get on the course.

I have the Prizm Golf (first iteration of them), Prizm Deep Water polarized, Prizm Daily Polarized. I've used all 3 on the course and can say my favorite is the golf Lens. I'll use one of the other 2 polarized lens if I'm playing a course at dusk or with a lot of water to cut the glare. I haven't noticed a crazy difference in green reading with polarized vs not but the light transmission, to me, plays a bigger role. The Prizm Golf lenses let in a lot more green light allowing you to read contours on the green easier. I do tend to remove darker lenses on the green though just to avoid any potential alteration of what i'm seeing

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test

4 minutes ago, Swood1994 said:

I have the Prizm Golf (first iteration of them), Prizm Deep Water polarized, Prizm Daily Polarized. I've used all 3 on the course and can say my favorite is the golf Lens. I'll use one of the other 2 polarized lens if I'm playing a course at dusk or with a lot of water to cut the glare. I haven't noticed a crazy difference in green reading with polarized vs not but the light transmission, to me, plays a bigger role. The Prizm Golf lenses let in a lot more green light allowing you to read contours on the green easier. I do tend to remove darker lenses on the green though just to avoid any potential alteration of what i'm seeing

I've found I use the Fuse AMP lenses pretty much all the time. They really do amplify colors quite a lot, and these tend to really make red and red-based colors pop. I haven't switched over to yellow balls yet, and that's when I'll really test out the Deep Water lenses as that's the color Oakley said will really pop on course. So we'll see as I change ball colors.

Putter:
Technology:

On 8/23/2024 at 3:18 PM, marcva said:

Sorry, redundant post I can't delete. I already commented on the Revos back in April

Also if want a non polarized option that's even harder to find, Serengeti drivers are great lenses that are not too dark. Typically available from pilot supply websites