Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

Odyssey AI-One Double Wide DB Putter - Unoffical Review

Cagolfer

For the better part of 3 years, I have been gaming the Evnroll ER5 with the gravity grip.  Previous to that putter, I tried everything from the 2 Ball, Odyssey #7, Scotty SS 2.5.  The ER5 made me want to get away from a mallet putter. The mallets fit my eye, but I have always had an issue with distance control with mallets.  The ER5 varied so much in terms of distance.  I even tried changing to different grips as I believe in the Evnroll grove technology. 

Day 1

I took my new Ai-One to the practice green at my local course.  It has a good amount of slope and undulations to really test my putts.  It was a face off between my new Ai-One vs. ER5 vs. Scotty SS 2.5.  I tested the putters at 5 and 10 feet. Both uphill and downhill putts with minimal break. 

The Scotty did the worst in terms of direction.  That is not to say it is a bad putter.  Just that the standard blade leaves little room for error for me.  Shots I intentionally off the toe and heel were punitive, as expected.  On well center hit shots, the distance was good. I was able to control the distance other than a few putts I hit up on too much.

The ER5 did the best on direction but the worst on distance control.  Putts a little off of center did not stray much from the center line, but then I would hit one in the middle and it should take off like a rocket.  Is it possible to hit a flyer when putting?  This putter has always felt heavy to me, and I am sure that contributes to my issues.  I had the notion that I would play this like one would a heavy putter.  Line it up, and let the weight take over.  Good in theory, but I found it hard to control/predict my putts speed.

Ai-One has a great feel.  Similar to a WhiteHot insert, but not as soft.  I like the blue head color with the white face.  It is a good looking putter.  I feel like the double wide is a good compromise between a mallet and blade. Single sight line is clean and easy to use.  One of the things I really like about this putter is that it sits square when I set it down behind the ball. I have had some putters that do not sit square, and that has always messed with my head when putting.  It puts the notion that the putter heard is weighted "strangely".  I have seen the advertisements and social media reviews, but I was not prepared for how good this putter performed.  All of the putts I put a good stroke on, were basically in the cup, or came to rest right next to each other.  I intentionally hit putts off the toe and heel (within with insert range) and they were all also within inches of each other. 

Day 2.

First full round with the putter.  I only had (1) 3 putt, and it was because I was a long way off and mishit the putt. My distance control was spot on and most of my putts went in, or left me with a tap in.  I had a couple of putts from the fringe that nestled up nicely near the hole.  With my ER5, I would have a couple of putts that I would blast 3-5 feet past the hole.  None of those today.  I found that I was much more relaxed when putting and I could just focus on direction.  Now, If only I could learn to properly line up a putt.  I would have shaved 7 strokes off of my round.  So many putts just skimmed the edge, or I did not read the break correctly.  

I did try the DB 2 Ball and Seven putters at the store before deciding on the double wide.  For some reason those 2 did not sit well with me, and I struggled with direction control with those even more that usual.  I know I could do a proper putter fitting, but what is the fun in that?

The Ai-One is in the bag....for now.

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.” -Arnold Palmer

Glad you found something that's working well for you!

Funny enough, I've been gaming an ER5 for several years now and .. I think it's working ok for me .. until it's not... 😝

Are you planning on any more side by side tests?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Actually, my next test will be the Ai-One vs. the  Betti Queen B #6.  I also want to do a putt off against the Evnroll ER2.  It will be the duels of the double wides.  There's a country song in there somewhere. 

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.” -Arnold Palmer