Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Vokey SM10 Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@HeathS16 - Main Post 

@snoopy79 - Main Post 

@MIGregB - Main Post 

@Chubbs1991 - Main Post

After a few rounds at several courses, i have had ample opportunity to use each of the SM10s I was fitted for. I probably used an SM10 on just about every hole. Even some Par 3s. Here is what I have observed so far.

• SM10 48 degree F Grind 10 degree bounce:  Lately this club is my go-to when I have to carry 115 ‘ish yards to the green. The ball flight is predictable and the descent angle is around 44 degrees which is just about perfect. The balance in the club head is right-on. Feels like i can swing as hard I need to.

• SM10 54 degree S Grind 10 degree bounce: The turf interaction on this grind is sublime. I have a neutral to shallow angle of attack and this grind just knives through the grass like a samurai. I like the lower ball flight in the loft compared to the 56 degree Maltby TSW i was gaming. The spin it can produce with an open club face is comparable too. 

• SM10 60 degree M Grind 8 degree bounce: The 60 is my go to around the greens and from 80 yards in on a full shot. I don’t get a ton of those full ones, so this one is doing the yeoman's work around the greens. So far, its delivering on its feel, stopping power, and utility. 

I bought some new Vice Tour balls that are slightly harder than the Titleist and Srixon balls I been playing. As testing continues into July I plan on sharing some simulator #s for spin and ball speed. @HeathS16's testing already shows some impressive data.

I am traveling for work next week and will be playing 18 in Orlando with my boss. The SM10’s are making the trip with me. I am very curious to see how they perform on a different grass type.

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R w/JumboMax Tour Series grip

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges: Testing default_titelist-small.jpg.70ad9f722a0db80227389c6cf555806c.jpg Vokey SM10 wedges Go here to learn more!

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Ball: TBD

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So in all the excitement over the SM10 and with some wedge game struggling really being inbetween wedges and my older PINGs just being worn I jumped on the Vokey bandwagon. Never had Vokeys before and did a little change with shaft, grips and lofts... more updates to come 🙂

Great wedges with loft options. I have always felt they are slightly light and add a little lead tape to them. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

4 hours ago, snoopy79 said:

After a few rounds at several courses, i have had ample opportunity to use each of the SM10s I was fitted for. I probably used an SM10 on just about every hole. Even some Par 3s. Here is what I have observed so far.

• SM10 48 degree F Grind 10 degree bounce:  Lately this club is my go-to when I have to carry 115 ‘ish yards to the green. The ball flight is predictable and the descent angle is around 44 degrees which is just about perfect. The balance in the club head is right-on. Feels like i can swing as hard I need to.

• SM10 54 degree S Grind 10 degree bounce: The turf interaction on this grind is sublime. I have a neutral to shallow angle of attack and this grind just knives through the grass like a samurai. I like the lower ball flight in the loft compared to the 56 degree Maltby TSW i was gaming. The spin it can produce with an open club face is comparable too. 

• SM10 60 degree M Grind 8 degree bounce: The 60 is my go to around the greens and from 80 yards in on a full shot. I don’t get a ton of those full ones, so this one is doing the yeoman's work around the greens. So far, its delivering on its feel, stopping power, and utility. 

I bought some new Vice Tour balls that are slightly harder than the Titleist and Srixon balls I been playing. As testing continues into July I plan on sharing some simulator #s for spin and ball speed. @HeathS16's testing already shows some impressive data.

I am traveling for work next week and will be playing 18 in Orlando with my boss. The SM10’s are making the trip with me. I am very curious to see how they perform on a different grass type.

Great to hear your enjoying them. Curious of the conditions your playing in?

Driver: Mizuno Stz

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW

Wedges: Vokeys

Putter: Phantom 5.5

Ball: ProV 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So in all the excitement over the SM10 and with some wedge game struggling really being inbetween wedges and my older PINGs just being worn I jumped on the Vokey bandwagon. Never had Vokeys before and did a little change with shaft, grips and lofts... more updates to come 🙂

Oooo well played sir! Curious to see what you ended up with, so please share when those babies come in.

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R w/JumboMax Tour Series grip

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges: Testing default_titelist-small.jpg.70ad9f722a0db80227389c6cf555806c.jpg Vokey SM10 wedges Go here to learn more!

2 minutes ago, Chubbs1991 said:

Great to hear your enjoying them. Curious of the conditions your playing in?

Around here in SW Ohio its bent grass from tee to green in most public courses. I have had softer ground, medium, and firm between the last 3 rounds and the SM10's did well. It was much more challenging on the firm/dry ground I last played on. It was so dry out on the course b/c they didn't have a built in irrigation/watering system. That made it somewhat difficult to get under the ball properly.

Current WITB:

@Chubbs1991 I may have misunderstood, but I thought the reason non-plated wedges spun better was because there was no plating filling in the grooves making them sharper. In fact, I thought I read that rust actually reduced spin. So in my mind, you don't want to speed up rusting. Am I totally off base?

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54.12D & 58.08M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

29 minutes ago, MIGregB said:

@Chubbs1991 I may have misunderstood, but I thought the reason non-plated wedges spun better was because there was no plating filling in the grooves making them sharper. In fact, I thought I read that rust actually reduced spin. So in my mind, you don't want to speed up rusting. Am I totally off base?

Yeah I’ve read it that it was a myth that rust equals more spin but as a club junky I love the look of a rusted out wedge. 
Look Good Play Good right?? 

10 hours ago, snoopy79 said:

Really good summation.  The S grind is such a good jack of all trades grind.

How are you playing the M grind?  Squared up or are you opening it up for short stuff?  

And how does that M fare out of a tight lie?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, snoopy79 said:

Your experience on course has been pretty close to mine as well.  Got the joy of stuffing an 95 yard shot with my 58 today, 1 of 2 SM10 Birdies on the day! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

4 hours ago, Chubbs1991 said:

Yeah I’ve read it that it was a myth that rust equals more spin but as a club junky I love the look of a rusted out wedge. 
Look Good Play Good right?? 

I can't disagree with that!!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54.12D & 58.08M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

8 hours ago, bens197 said:

How are you playing the M grind?  Squared up or are you opening it up for short stuff?  

With my M grind 56, I use it for full swings, closed faced chips, open face chips and bunker shots. I find it a jack of all trades. 

At last!!!! My unboxing and first impressions. Please see my post (link below) for the update!

Edited by MIGregB

19 hours ago, bens197 said:

Thanks for the questions. I have been playing the 60 deg with the M grind with just slight open face at address on full shots. Around the green for shorter pitches and chips its anywhere in between, but mostly squared up a little. Haven't had to flop much on the course yet but it does that well too.

Current WITB:

On 6/20/2024 at 11:39 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

You are going to like the change. Welcome to the Vokey Family

OK... I have questions. And I know some of you will have answers... or at least opinions. For those who read my unboxing and first impressions, I commented on what appears to be a high swing weight with all of the SM10s. I still can't find anyone locally with a scale, but I found another SW estimator and it confirms my initial measurements. This estimator indicates:

SM10 52.12F is D6 (the closest to standard of the bunch)

SM10 56.14F is D9

SM10 60.12D is D9.5 (the other estimator had it at 1/2 point higher, E0)

According to the Vokey website, the standard swing weight is D5. My SM10s are 1" longer, which adds to the swing weight (not something I considered during the fitting), and has mid-sized grips, which reduces swing weight. From what I've read, a higher swing weight promotes control on partial wedge shots, which I do a lot of with all 3 wedges. But what swing weight is too high? I did struggle hitting full shots with both the 56 & 60 wedges, but I don't often hit full shots with those. Should I have asked to go through WedgeWorks to get a longer shafted club with a lower swing weight? Should I just shut up and bask in the glory of these beautiful clubs??

I did email questions to my fitter, but I know he's incredibly busy this time of year so I expect it to take at least a few days to hear back. And due to other obligations yesterday and really crappy weather today, I haven't been able to get more playtime in so my mind is wandering. I'd love to hear comments anyone may have. 

Edited by MIGregB

5 hours ago, MIGregB said:

....I did email questions to my fitter, but I know he's incredibly busy this time of year so I expect it to take at least a few days to hear back..... 

Sorry for quoting my own post, but I just heard back from my Titleist Fitter. I guess today's crappy weather has slowed him down as well! 🌧️

He said that Titleist tries to adjust swing weight based upon the build-out (shaft length, grip weight, etc.), but sometimes something goes awry. However, we could send the clubs back to be adjusted. I've asked what that means because I'm not sure I just want weight added to the grip end if that's the only solution now that it's built. Anyway, more to come...

On 5/7/2024 at 2:09 AM, MIGregB said:

I want to thank My Golf Spy and Titleist for this tremendous testing opportunity! I can’t tell you how excited and nervous I am to bring you an informative test that you find valuable and maybe even entertaining.

Me.Netta.KyleFamilty.png.d3e782f654d368a4aa6c65daf29d7d22.png

Me, my wife, my oldest son & his family

Justin_Kyle.Chris.png.7ac6fc9bbcb1eb1f81ab31b7d71cb937.png

Both sons, middle & right, & a friend at 2002 WM Open

A bit about myself. I’m retired from the IT/Engineering consulting industry where I spent the last 30 years of my working life. I’m married to my wife of 53+ years, with two sons and three grandchildren. My wife and I live in SE Michigan, with a summer home on a small lake in mid-Michigan, but our kids live in Phoenix and Long Beach. You’d think with those warm weather connections that I’d get to play a lot of winter golf. But the reality is that we only spend about 4 or 5 weeks a year out west during the colder months, and we spend most of that time with the kids/grandkids since we don’t get to see them often enough. That means that I only get 2 or 3 rounds in while out there.

Me_WMPO.png.d6e863d745d6b386a7722c295ba25f4d.png

2022 WM Open, that's Hideki in the background!

But for my 70th birthday, my youngest son treated me to a week-long pass to the 2022 WM Open in Phoenix. It is quite a spectacle!! 

TPClock.png.dc4cf86ab0da00b3441bc6708463f176.png

Full disclosure: This is a general pic! I've misplaced the one with me, but I'll find it!

One very memorable round out west, though, was at Torrey Pines. I admit that I didn’t expect to have a great round my first time out, I just hoped to not have a bad round. Unfortunately, it was closer to a terrible round. But it is a beautiful course!

I’m in my early-70s now and have been playing golf for more than 45 years. I wish I had taken lessons early and often, but it took the advent of media golf content and easy access to instruction to get me curious and ambitious enough to improve. I currently play to a 10.5 hdcp, however I feel that’s overly generous. I’m not trying to be modest; my regular play is in a senior’s league where the mostly 70+ crowd plays from pretty short tees.

LeaguePlayers.png.44aa0f4535c9d5a2d432821edb6e71cf.png

About a third of the usual suspects at the Tuesday league.

I’m fortunate to still be reasonably flexible and decently long (for my age) that results in short approach shots into par 4’s & 5’s, so I have a little better hdcp than it should be. And while I believe that I am still waaaay too mediocre for the amount of time I put in playing and practicing, I can honestly say that I’m a much better golfer today than I ever was – considerably shorter, but technically better.

I usually get to play 36 holes per week. I’m most comfortable driving the ball although both my overall & performance averages dropped in 2023 more than getting another year older justified, IMHO. So I did a lot of work over the winter on sequencing and a bit on speed, and I also picked up a new driver. Together, at least in range sessions and the few rounds so far this year, it looks like I’ve gotten back the lost distance and perhaps even added a few yards.

I bought my 1st set of clubs with a big $110 windfall from my one and only craps table adventure at a Bachelor’s Party back in the late 1970’s (a lot of sudden cash for a young family man just starting out!!). I used the money to buy a used set of custom-built Wilson Julius Boros model forged blades.

JBBladeSide.png.32a2610ca8a11e9fa1c4f6d4420cb1aa.png

Wilson Julius Boros 6 iron

Being custom-built meant they were “special” clubs to my knuckle-headed self. And they were… to the original owner! Other than being nearly 2" too short and, of course, serious blades, they were terrific.

JBJPXside.png.259d8779ca2deb7a6988b30b20bc3653.png

Looking at the JB 6i next to my current JPX919 6i, I can’t imagine why they failed me so spectacularly! It took several years of struggle to realize they were completely inappropriate for me.

My first “new” set of clubs were off-the-rack Tommy Armor 845’s. They really were nice clubs and have since become the hand-me-down set for family members getting their feet wet into golf. Over the years I also played Hogan Medallions (fitted, but not well), Hogan Apex Plus+ (beautiful perimeter weighted forging), Mizuno JPX825 (fitted), and my current Mizuno JPX919 HM with off-the-rack Vokey SM9 54.12D & 58.08M wedges. I don’t think my next iron set will be much of a “set”. The top end of the bag has become hybrid irons and higher lofted fairway woods, and I just started researching to add a non-set wedge & gap wedge when this tremendous Vokey opportunity came up. Perfect timing!!

5/12/2024 Update: Test Plan

So, why is this test perfect timing? Boy… where do I start.

AllWedges.png.8d01914dd7fad6c889158b3f56a04b84.png

My current JPX919HM 45 deg PW and 50 deg GW, SM9 54 S & 58 L wedges.  

I currently game an off-the-shelf SM9 54.12D & 58.08M, both with stock wedge shafts selected as much by what was available as what was right for me, and a JPX919 50 deg set gap wedge. I really like how the Vokey’s perform when I manage to hit them well. But I too often hit fat or dig in too much on fairway and shots around the green at the softer courses I play in Michigan. Is some of that due to bad bounce/grind selections?

Screenshot_25-4-2024_13564_www.vokey_com.jpeg.e3719fb5d87e368ec21a1cac7da00378.jpeg

The online Titleist Wedge Selector says that I have the correct 54 deg wedge which leads me to believe that I need to work harder on technique. But I’m anxious to see what the Titleist Premier Fitter says. Other than for very short-sided bunker shots, I always use this wedge out of the sand and I’m reasonably successful at it. I can’t say that I leave myself a lot of close sand-save opportunities, but it’s rare that I don’t escape. I do see a variety of roll-outs, though, with which I’m hoping the new SM10 features (CG and groove improvements) will address.

The selector tool recommends a very different version for the lob wedge, a 58.14K. The K grind has their highest bounce with a wide sole and enhanced camber which they say is “for players requiring forgiveness in a wide full sole”. Oh-oh, sounds a lot like training wheels! But I’ll take all the help I can get. Again, what will the Premier Fitter say?

The gap wedge is where I’m the most curious. I’ve never been happy with any set gap wedge so I don’t know why it’s taken me all these years to pull the trigger on one. I literally just took delivery on an SM9 50.08F when I got word of my selection for this test - who knew!!! Again, I had to settle for what was available which is different from the Selector tool recommendation, a 50.12F. Fortunately, I was able to return the SM9.

Here’s the link to a really good Titleist video explaining the SM10 CG and groove improvements. They’re substantial!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GeFjp4-rs

OK…so… how I do I test all of this without it turning into a totally subjective mess?  I’m open to suggestions, but the MGS core belief of being “Datacratic” keeps smacking me in the head. I don’t feel my current Shot Scope data can really help since I use the wedges on such a wide variety of distances and conditions.  So I decided to buy (or is ‘rationalized’ the right word???) a Mevo launch monitor that should help me with launch and spin comparisons.

MevoSandTest.png.70c4f6a299ad4e90555be1bb4deeb9c3.png

Mevo session out of the sand.

I experimented with what turned out to be a tricky measurement, shots out of the sand. I had to add the reflective dot to the ball, set up the Mevo for short wedge play, and find a reasonably flat space in the sand between the ball and the device. But I eventually got consistent spin results with shots that seemed to be similar. I could never achieve consistent numbers with anything else, though (carry, height, launch). But I think I now have a way to somewhat objectively compare IRL spin from sand. I can also use the Mevo to compare fairway shot vertical launch, apex height, and spin between the Premier Fitter’s recommendations and my gamers. Pretty cool!

I will still end up making a bunch of subjective comments, but I’ll try to keep those to a minimum.  I think if I see improved spin from the bunkers, better turf action on partial shots, and greater consistency on gap wedge shots, I will have some gently used SM9s to put up for sale! Again, any suggestions or simply things you’d like to see are very welcome!

5/23/2024 Update: My Professional Fitting: 

Just the facts, ma’am, just the facts!!!! Here’s what the Vokey online Wedge Selector Tool recommended (completely based on my own evaluation) and what the Professional recommends. Hey! I got one bounce and one grind right! Who needs a professional!!??

Screenshot_25-4-2024_13564_www.vokey_com.jpeg.e3719fb5d87e368ec21a1cac7da00378.jpeg

TrueFitResults.png.cfee92e9b1a87dbadc4273fb6b546203.png

Online Wedge Selector (top) & the Professional Fitter's recommendation (bottom)

Deeper dive:

It’s been more than 12 years since I’ve had an in-person club fitting, and that was in-doors on a simulator. This was my first outdoor fitting experience; it didn’t disappoint! I was contacted by Andrew Saupe, Titleist Fitting Specialist, where he slotted me ahead of an already packed fitting day at Apple Mountain Golf Club near Saginaw, MI.

Andrew_Tent.png.3cf14ac057ba7f754304077a986f466b.png

Andrew Saupe & his SureFit set-up

One couldn’t ask for a more enthusiastic supporter of all things Titleist, and he really loves what he does. Andrew knew my fitting was for a MGS member’s test and he was ready to work his magic on me. We started off discussing my fitting goals and expectations. It surprised me when he said that he found many customers just wanted to maximize distance, even for wedges, and they didn’t even care about things like carry yards and spin control. I can’t imagine that being a common attitude among MGS devotees, but I guess it’s out there!

We reviewed my Shot Scope data that I brought along, and the scoring clubs I’ve been using, a JPX919HM 45 deg wedge & 50 deg gap wedge, a SM9 54.12D and a SM9 58.08M. Next, we moved on to my general misses and issues, but reserved more of that discussion for the individual wedge I was hitting. I had already warmed up on another part of the range earlier, so he asked me to start off hitting a few with my 7 iron to get a sense of my normal pattern. Right away he noticed an issue I have; my divots are quite a bit deeper on the toe side than the heal. After a few shots, he handed me a T350 7 iron in a 1” longer shaft (that model mostly because I had asked him an earlier question about them). I still seemed to be more toe down, so he adjusted the lie up 2 deg. That worked perfectly!  

After more discussion about softer northern tier courses I normally play, the highest lofted wedge with which I’d be comfortable, and possible future iron purchases, he chose to have me start off with a 56 deg head with a 14 deg bounce in the F grind, which is the all-purpose grind for full shots. Also, he didn’t have all of the available shafts for the other wedges, so he wanted to validate the extra inch long shaft and 2 deg upright lie angle. They worked! I was getting a nice even divot and excellent 3-5 groove contact and excellent spin on a ¾ shot.

The impressive practice facility at Apple Mountain even includes two large bunkers; one onto a green and one replicating a fairway bunker. Unfortunately, the entire area received a great deal of rain the night before and even though the sand was raked to near perfection, the sand was still so wet that getting meaningful data wasn’t in the cards. I did feel getting out with the proposed SM10 56.14F was a bit easier than my current SM9 54.12D, but no real data to back that up.

SM10_56.14FTM.png.d3dc4580f358e20159c4727b2f5c3404.png

3/4 swing with the SM10.56.14F 

At this point I got some good news; Andrew’s appointment after me had to cancel. So he said that we could take all the time we wanted! Whoo-hoo, more play time!!!

Next, we went to the wedge that I was most curious about, a 52 deg gap wedge.  My stock GW complaint is again inconsistent contact. The longer shaft and upright lie angle will help that situation quite a bit, but he also went to a 12 deg bounce in the F grind. My gamer GW bounce is a mere 6 degrees.  Again, nice numbers!

SM10_52.12FTM.png.0a22ded418fbfe2a3559d0d192b8411d.png

3/4 swing with SM10.52.12F

Last, he had me try a 60 deg lob wedge. Again to help me with inconsistent contact, he went to a 12 deg bounce but this time in a D grind. Nice!!

SM10_60.12DTM.png.6851ae0ecb40fcd46f2f4b8d3da815ac.png

3/4 swing with SM10.50.12D

But I wasn’t done testing the LW yet. I short-side myself too often on a couple of holes where I regularly play that requires a reasonable flop shot. I’m no Phil Mickelson, but can I do a decent job of keeping it on the green, even when it runs away from me. I needed to see whether I could hit a flop shot with the higher bounce Andrew was proposing. Again, I was pleased! Even on the tight range grass, the 60 did a pretty decent job.

One note on spin numbers; they were undoubtedly higher as the result of using range balls. There is such a thing as too much spin but Andrew wasn’t worried that mine would be excessive, even on full shots. Probably his tactful way of telling me that it wouldn’t happen with my club head speed.☺️

The last thing to do was decide on the finish.

MOWedgesSmall.png.9775f0fc446cee0b2f812c7d6fd74aa4.pngMOWedgeCloseUpSmall.png.263b69b10201c9418fe8cb54fd688c7e.png

Andrew showed me his fabulous looking murdered out bag set-up, including the jet-black wedges with black shafts and grips that he ordered through WedgeWorks. Believe me, the pictures don’t do them justice, they’re gorgeous! I tried to convince him that the all-black color was essential to my improved wedge performance, but he wouldn’t bite. Oh, well. I actually had my heart set on the new Nickel finish anyway.

SM10Finishes.png.ebb299a47b4dbf9f7cba1e9f0351ac91.png

The stock SM10 finishes.

All-in-all, I spent nearly 2 hours with Andrew and hit close to 200 balls. I was exhausted when returned home! For some reason, my wife wasn’t overly sympathetic.

Unboxing and First Impressions:

Sorry that I’m late getting to this phase. I left for my granddaughter’s softball tournament literally the day of their surprise arrival. Fortunately, my neighbor kept them safe until I returned; not without some threats of test driving them himself, though! 😮

Unboxing.png.4bb744da3028033686b0f70bc3e1ba3f.png

My wedges came through the regular Vokey order/build system as opposed to via WedgeWorks, so they weren’t cradled in the custom super-soft laser-cut foam block like @Chubbs1991 wedges were 😊. But the cardboard/bubble wrap packaging worked just fine. Everything arrived in perfect condition. There was only one small surprise when I opened the box. When my fitter input my specs into his system to provide me with a printout, the only mid-size MCC+4 grip color available at the time was blue; I wanted gray or black to go with the Nickle finish. Everyone thought it’d be easy to change the color when ordered, but somehow the blue was what came through. Not the end of the world.

LongViewSM10s.png.8e19ec037ff4ec850c400591810a4674.png

CloseupSM10s.png.15223f95dca2487406441f6c99d0af6a.png

These are, like all of the previous Vokey models I’ve seem, beautiful! I really like the nickel finish and the slightly shinier badging on the back. Maybe it's because I’ve always thought Vokeys, and Titleist clubs in general, were made for professionals, but their look always appealed to me... and these don’t disappoint!

To get a quick idea of their performance, I ran out to a local range to give them a test run. But I ended up disappointed for a couple of reasons. First, I was expecting to see huge benefits to the higher bounce and more forgiving grinds vs. my gamers. But the turf conditions could not have been more different from the fitting session if I planned it. The night before my fitting, it rained... a lot; so conditions were very soft. But the range yesterday was dried out and baren of much grass as they are going through some renovations. The SM10s did seem to be a bit easier to get through the turf, but I couldn’t get any real turf feedback (divot pattern) to verify.

Also, the range balls they had weren’t really range balls. They were a hodge-podge of old range balls and VERY old and beat up real balls of various brands/models.  I couldn’t come close to consistent spin numbers, with either my gamers or the SM10s.

FS_SM9.54-5_20_2024.png.004c387c27b82873f95d5879004ced6d.png

FS_SM10.56-5_20_2024.png.4ccb248bd8650520bc135ababf645f72.png

I have a dozen ProV1s onto which I've added the Mevo silver dot that I will use to gather some good comparison numbers. But the golf course range I’m using for that wants me there during specific times to avoid other range-rats and to reduce their liability in case I get beaned collecting my ProVs, so it’ll be a few days before I can run that test.

But… I also had a bit of trouble with the feel of the SM10s. While they are 1” longer than my gamers, they just felt much heavier to me. My local club repair facility (in the Tawas, MI area where I summer) is in the process of moving locations and doesn’t have their equipment set up yet meaning that I couldn’t get the SM10s on a SW scale. So, this morning I used Dave Tutelman’s swing weight calculator to see if there’s a difference between my SM9s and the SM10s. There is… a lot! Trying to be as careful as I could, my SM9 58 is in the D5.5 range (darn close to their stated SW), but the SM10 60 is at E0!! The Vokey website says swing weight is D5.

The SM10 weighs 499g while the SM9 weighs 483g, but most of that difference is in the midsized grip of the SM10 vs the standard grip of the SM9. That should make the SW lower, not higher. I'm going to contact my Titleist fitter to get his opinion and I'll report on what he says. Also, I may still be doing something wrong so I’m going to try to find a scale somewhere, but right now it seems that there is a huge difference in swing weight.

Next up: Play with these babies!!!

Ok here is the deal. You are +1” with a midsize grip that’s only 6g heavier than standard. Now SW for 52 is D3 and 56/60 is D5. That means all 3 went up due to your +1” and no mention of maintaining stock swing weight.  I’d wager if you remove the extra length you get right back to stock weight 

edit:

This may have come off as rude which isn’t my intention. Your paper with your specs makes zero mention of swing weight and unless the fitter adjusted sw when you were hitting +1” in the fitting then you were fit into what you got. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    PXG Black Ops 8* or Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Grey 65/4 shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :titleist-small: T150 4-GW with Modus 105R

Wedges:    :vokey-small: SM10 56M shaft TBD

:edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge 

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

Had a little fun today with the short game and my 58 degree…decided to try and hit an inch or two behind these three shots and here was the proximity: 

IMG_5545.jpeg.7749f60952adaf8a61851181bd66096d.jpeg

Not bad for some terribly struck 15 yards chip shots. 

8 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

Had a little fun today with the short game and my 58 degree…decided to try and hit an inch or two behind these three shots and here was the proximity: 

IMG_5545.jpeg.7749f60952adaf8a61851181bd66096d.jpeg

Not bad for some terribly struck 15 yards chip shots. 

How did you find they felt? Love good short game session. Raining in NS so haven’t got out with them in a round yet.

@MIGregB I don’t have answers to your technical questions. But I can tell you that I notice the swing weight was indeed heavier than my gamers. I don’t even need a scale to tell. I had my buddy take a few swings with the 60 and he said the same thing. He is gaming a Takomo Skyforger wedge. So take that FWIW. 

I don’t find the weight as an issue at all in any of my shot types. 

Current WITB:

13 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Ok here is the deal. You are +1” with a midsize grip that’s only 6g heavier than standard. Now SW for 52 is D3 and 56/60 is D5. That means all 3 went up due to your +1” and no mention of maintaining stock swing weight.  I’d wager if you remove the extra length you get right back to stock weight 

edit:

This may have come off as rude which isn’t my intention. Your paper with your specs makes zero mention of swing weight and unless the fitter adjusted sw when you were hitting +1” in the fitting then you were fit into what you got. 

No sweat, I didn't take it as anything but helpful. I agree with everything you said about why the swing weight would be higher; a longer shaft will produce a higher SW unless otherwise adjusted for (as I've learned during this process). And, at least according to my fitter, Titleist does try to maintain standard SW to their build-outs. There are several ways to accomplish that but I'm not sure what they do. I've read that at least some companies weight sort heads for this very purpose. But I disagree with the fact that swing weight isn't mentioned on the spec sheet. It says "STANDARD" (their bold letters, not mine). And unfortunately, longer wedge shafts weren't available during the fitting to experience them so I wasn't alerted.

However, I apologize to all if my questions and posts have come off as complaining. That was not and is not my intention. This has been an awesome experience! This being my first member's testing opportunity, I've been trying to be contemporary with my experiences throughout the process, so I've been asking questions as they come up. If nothing else, I hope that my questions will help anyone about to go through a fitting anywhere to be better prepared for theirs. 

5 hours ago, Chubbs1991 said:

How did you find they felt? Love good short game session. Raining in NS so haven’t got out with them in a round yet.

The strikes felt all around terrible but every single one got airborne and carried the 10 yards to the green. Very clunky on strike, had a slightly open face, the lie was VERY tight not an easy shot even with good contact. 

Not much spin but did what I needed them to do; give me a putt. 

Edited by HeathS16

Just now, HeathS16 said:

The strikes felt all around terrible but every single one got airborne and carried the 10 yards to the green. Not much spin but did what I needed them to do to an extent. 

Nothing wrong with that. Good to practice all the shots 

40 minutes ago, Chubbs1991 said:

Nothing wrong with that. Good to practice all the shots 

I’m trying all sorts of shots with the 54 and 58. I really want to push the performance and truly see what separates the Vokey SM10s from other brands. So far, the SM10s are in a category of their own. 

10 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

I’m trying all sorts of shots with the 54 and 58. I really want to push the performance and truly see what separates the Vokey SM10s from other brands. So far, the SM10s are in a category of their own. 

Been using vokeys for a long time and it makes sense that they are above everything!! Hoping to put my through more here soon 

2 hours ago, MIGregB said:

But I disagree with the fact that swing weight isn't mentioned on the spec sheet. It says "STANDARD" (their bold letters, not mine).

Is there another sheet I missed?  Your fitter picture says nothing. 

IMG_2975.jpeg

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    PXG Black Ops 8* or Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Grey 65/4 shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :titleist-small: T150 4-GW with Modus 105R

Wedges:    :vokey-small: SM10 56M shaft TBD

:edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge 

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

On 6/21/2024 at 3:32 AM, Chubbs1991 said:

With my M grind 56, I use it for full swings, closed faced chips, open face chips and bunker shots. I find it a jack of all trades. 

How are you liking the launch angle on the 56?

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User