Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Training Aid: Alignment Sticks

I've been golfing for 2 years, and I think one of the next steps in improving my game is going to be using alignment sticks on the range.

What have you used that works well? What have you found that works just as good, but is cheaper? What kinds of drills do you recommend?

Would love to hear all your thoughts and opinions on the topic.

Fore right!!!

Driveway markers from your local hardware store.   

use  and drills will be based on what you want to accomplish.   They can be used for everything from driver to putter to monitor alignment, ball position, swing plane, etc.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You have to identify your swing issues and then find a drill that works on fixing the biggest issue first.

But in general ball placement and alignment are the basics for using alignment sticks.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I regularly use alignment rods in practice.  I have two different set ups, one for full swings and one for chips and short pitches.  

For full swings, I typically use 3 rods.  I put a ball down and then pick my target.  I lay one rod on the ground a few feet in front of the ball pointing at the target down the target line.  I stick a second rod vertically in the ground about 15 feet in front of the first rod, again on the target line.  A third rod, for feet alignment, gets placed on the ground parallel to the first.  Sometimes I will also place a rod behind the ball a few feet on the target line.  For checking ball position, I will put a rod perpendicular to the rod for my feet, even with the ball.  Sounds like a lot, but it only takes about 30 seconds to set up and it's good for a number of balls until I need to move to find better grass.    

For chips and pitches, I will put two rods on the ground about 6 inches apart with the ball between them.  It creates a channel down the line to chip down.  I also place two rods vertically in the ground 3 to 6 feet toward the target.  I chip between the vertical rods.  Width between the rods will vary depending on the length of the chip.  Normally they are 6 to 12 inches apart.  You can also tie a string between the two vertical rods at varying heights and practice hitting below and above the string.  

A lot of "swing faults" occur because of improper alignment, so I find it important to get a solid set up/alignment.  I know that if my eyes, shoulders, and hips are aligned, I"m going to hit a pretty good shot.  As soon as problems show up on the course, I will go the the range after the round and check set up and alignment.  That normally cures my "swing problem".  

I find it important to go through the full shot routine when using alignment rods.  How I walk into the ball affects my perception of alignment.  If I approach the ball from down the target line, I tend to set up open with my head tilted (eyes out of alignment).  If I approach from the side, I find it easier to get square.  YMMV.

Malaska has several Youtube videos on setting up and using alignment rods.  They are a good place to start to see why the rods are important for changing your perception so you can get into a solid set up. 

I bought the True Aim alignment set this past winter and have loved it. I bought the three stick option instead of the four stick option. I allegedly stole a snow-curb-reflector to be my fourth stick. It comes with a block thing to make sure the alignment sticks are parrell to each other. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

• 2 weeks later...

An unconventional use of the Tour Aim - my Skillest coach has me working on a drill to shallow my swing - ball goes under the front of the raised stick. I’ve got it at 15* 

IMG_6061.jpeg.66ca5d4f533bdec5992c7944010722d5.jpeg

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)