Sand Valley: Trip of a lifetime

• 2 weeks later...

I am from WI and may be looking to do a day trip here for 36 later this year.  However, if you ever do this trip again, I would highly recommend playing Lac La Belle in Oconomowoc.  Was my favorite course I played last year.

Callaway Paradym w/ Ventus TR Black 7x shaft

Taylormade Sim 2 Ti 3 wood

Taylormade Stealth 3 Hybrid

Srixon MKII ZX5 4-PW

Titleist SM8/9 Vokey Wedges in 50, 54, 58 in Black

Cobra King 3D Grandsport 35 Black Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Sand Valley is about as good as it gets.  I'm heading north for the 5th time in the last 4 years in 11 days - not that I'm counting.  Was lucky enough to go 2x last year - once in the spring to play the regular rota at SV + the courses at Lake Arrowhead and again in late summer for a 24 hour trip to play Lido & MD.  Lido was better than expected, and I'm a nerd who know enough about the history of the place well before it came into existence for a second time.  In a few years when everything grows in that place is going to be unbelievable.  

Our 2024 Trip is with 2 first timers, but one went to Bandon last fall, so he's got an idea what he's in for. I love bringing newbies up and watching them walk thru the tunnel at Mammoth.  It's a great experience to share. 

We're not staying on property for the first time ever, which made Lido inaccessible, even with the contacts I've made over the years.  BUT we did luck out and score some solid tee times including preview play @ Sedge Valley a week before it opens to the public.  Had Stevens Point Country Club in that slot, but the opportunity to play Sedge bumped it.  

Day 1 - Sandbox AM / Sand Valley PM
Day 2 - Mammoth AM / Lake Arrowhead - Lakes Course PM
Day 3 - Sedge Valley AM / Bullseye Golf Club PM
Day 4 - Lawsonia Links AM / Lake Arrowhead - Pines Couse PM

Pics to follow.  

WITB:

TM Stealth 10.5 / Ventus Red Velocore
TM Stealth 3W / Ventus Red Velocore
TM Stealth 5W / Ventus Red Velocore
TM Stealth 4-PW
Vokey SM10 50/54/ 60
Ping Prime Tyne 4

Wow those were great posts. SV & Mammoth Dunes had been on my bucket list for a while!

Was not aware there's also a Lido course - I grew up and live now on Long Island and used to pass by the original Lido on the way to Long Beach. Now I wanna play that one, too!!

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Wow those were great posts. SV & Mammoth Dunes had been on my bucket list for a while!

Was not aware there's also a Lido course - I grew up and live now on Long Island and used to pass by the original Lido on the way to Long Beach. Now I wanna play that one, too!!

The “original” Lido you speak of is a shadow of what it once was. The Lido at Sand Valley is as exact a replica as what was originally constructed near the site of the present day Lido in Long Island in 1917 by CB McDonald. 

check it out - https://thelido.com/

WITB:

TM Stealth 4-PW
Vokey SM10 50/54/ 60
Ping Prime Tyne 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question, I've been to Bandon a couple times, and love it. Is sand Valley ran the same way, Shuttles, pubs, restaurants etc etc?  

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

21 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

Question, I've been to Bandon a couple times, and love it. Is sand Valley ran the same way, Shuttles, pubs, restaurants etc etc?  

Yes. SV is much smaller in scale (for now) so logistics are simple. There are shuttles running all over.  There are two restaurants in the main club house - Aldo’s (more upscale) and Mammoth Bar (bar & Restaurant) and a new spot near Sedge called The Gallery (also a bar & restaurant).  There’s Bills BBQ near the Sandbox, and Craig’s Porch at Sand Valley.  

Lodging is spread out but it’s easy to get around. Shuttles are all over.  

WITB:

TM Stealth 4-PW
Vokey SM10 50/54/ 60
Ping Prime Tyne 4

Amazing shots! I'm planning my next golf trip as well and curious if anyone has had experience with Cypresswood Golf Club customer service. Whether it's good or bad, I would really appreciate hearing some comments. Choosing the right golf club can make a big difference in the overall experience, from the course conditions to the service provided. Any insights or recommendations would be extremely helpful as I finalize my plans.

Edited by stevehernes

On 5/12/2024 at 3:42 PM, TCUfrog said:

Boarding my flight back from Sand Valley and Lawsonia Links. I travel for golf a lot, and I can tell you this is undoubtedly on par or better than any other golf resort in the world. 

We arrived on Thursday and immediately looped the Lido course, which is the newest Sand Valley course (although they’re about to open Tom Doak’s Sedge Valley this July). The Lido is a rebuilt course that’s a carbon copy of a 1920’s Long Island Club whose course was lost during WW2. The course is littered with blind tee shots, deceptive bunkering, and MASSIVE greens, the 18th green is over 22,000 sq ft. After that 18, we bounced over to the Sandbox, the Coore & Crenshaw designed 17 hole short course. Following a dinner at the new Italian restaurant, we packed it in early cause Friday was set up to be a marathon.

With a 7:40 tee time on Sand Valley, the original 18, we set out on what can only be described as a golf sickos perfect day. 18 holes at Sand Valley then 5 $1 tacos and 3 $2 beers then a sprint back to the short course sandbox to play 17 holes barefoot. Once we finished at the Sandbox, we all sat down for another beer and a 30 min break before we finished our day at Mammoth Dunes, the David Mclay Kidd designed course and the most fun golf you’ll ever play. After a quick thunderstorm that blew through while we were on 15 tee, we finished the last 4 holes in absolutely perfect weather that you can see in photos below. Somehow after 53 holes of just pure golf our day got better when Friday night we got to sit outside our room and watch the northern lights dance over our heads  

IMG_1151_VSCO.jpeg.b2237305ce41f4485023d02ce1ca3fa8.jpegFullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg.6addc915bdebe56157b0b2494bb262bd.jpegIMG_4234.jpeg.6730c3ec26e22d34e962d178e11d160e.jpeg

IMG_1247_VSCO.jpeg.efb9951a97ac1eb1f7cae13bc0a0d26f.jpeg

After Friday, we played 18 more at mammoth dunes in the morning in extremely windy and tough conditions then drove over to Green Lake, Wi to play a local muni, White Lake Golf Course and Sunday morning woke up to play Lawsonia Links, another outstanding track. 

159 holes of golf later, I’m beatdown and tired but couldn’t be much happier. 

IMG_1252_VSCO.jpeg

That last Pic is amazing!  An angel!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

May have said it before in here but .. wanna go wanna go wanna go!!

Fyi Matt Saternus at Plugged In Golf recently posted a very favorable review of Sedge Valley (and yes he loves all the other courses there, too)...

https://pluggedingolf.com/sedge-valley-golf-course-review/

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

I did a big Wisconsin trip last summer and have wanted to go back ever since. Sand Valley holds a special place in my heart and I'm itching for another opportunity. Our group did this schedule:

Day 1: Arrive at SV Resort, check in, play The Lido, rest, play the sandbox, beers at the cabin.

Day 2: 7 am at Mammoth, lunch, afternoon at Sand Valley, drive to Green Lake.

Day 3: 36 at Lawsonia Links.

Day 4: Wake up and drive to Erin Hills for 18. Drive to MKE and fly home.

We loved all the courses we played but agreed that next time we will be limiting the trip to Sand Valley Resort only. Stay 3 nights in a cabin, play 36 only one of the days and enjoy what a special property this is a little bit more. Just pinged the boys this morning about setting up 2025 and it looks like if things align we will be headed back. It's a year away and I couldn't be more excited.

sv1.jpg

sv2.jpg

sv3.jpg

sv4.jpg

sv5.jpg

Driver: Tour Issue Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond Max 8.5* with Fujikura 2024 Ventus Black 8x

4 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5 Wood turned down to 16.5* with Oban Kiyoshi Black 85g X-stiff

Driving Iron: PXG 0317T 3 iron with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Irons: PXG 0317 CB with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7

Wedges: 50 Vokey SM6, 54 (bent to 55) Vokey SM10, 60 Vokey SM10 with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Putter: L.A.B. Golf DF3

Ball: Maxfli Tour

Looks incredible.

For anyone who has been, what is the earliest you can go in the year to play here? We do our trip in late April usually. I’d imagine I’d need to move it back somewhat? 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Looks incredible!  Thanks for sharing the pictures!

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

For anybody thinking of going, I just booked July 2025 and we were hard pressed to find multiple nights. We were luck enough to get a 3 night stay for 4 guys and a bunch of rounds but are waitlisted for a Lido tee time. I encourage you to call ASAP if you're trying to go next year because it seems pretty booked up all season.

Driver: Tour Issue Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond Max 8.5* with Fujikura 2024 Ventus Black 8x

4 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5 Wood turned down to 16.5* with Oban Kiyoshi Black 85g X-stiff

Driving Iron: PXG 0317T 3 iron with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Irons: PXG 0317 CB with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7

Wedges: 50 Vokey SM6, 54 (bent to 55) Vokey SM10, 60 Vokey SM10 with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Putter: L.A.B. Golf DF3

Ball: Maxfli Tour

15 minutes ago, bigzb4412 said:

For anybody thinking of going, I just booked July 2025 and we were hard pressed to find multiple nights. We were luck enough to get a 3 night stay for 4 guys and a bunch of rounds but are waitlisted for a Lido tee time. I encourage you to call ASAP if you're trying to go next year because it seems pretty booked up all season.

That’s always a challenge.  

We stayed off property this time, and it was actually really nice. While if took Lido out of play, I wasn’t heartbroken having played it in August 2023, and our VRBO 10 minutes away was awesome (and pretty damn cheap). Day guest tee times are simple to book online and quite plentiful. 2025 trip is going to be elsewhere, but 2026 plan on returning with a neighbor and our sons, and we’ll stay off property again for sure.  

WITB:

TM Stealth 4-PW
Vokey SM10 50/54/ 60
Ping Prime Tyne 4