Does Your Group Have a Tradition When Someone Gets a Birdie?

One interesting thing living in Key West is that get a chance to play with snowbirds and other golfers from all over the country and around the world.  Each individual brings something to the party and that includes some interesting and often strange traditions.  One category that came to mind today was when someone in their group gets a birdie.

Does your playing group have a tradition when someone gets a birdie?  Here are two that I've experienced recently.

I had a Midwest snowbird who packed his bag with nip bottles of Fireball.  Any time anyone in his foursome got a birdie (or better), he'd pull out a small bottle, open it up and pass it around so everyone could take a little swig.  Never mind the germs shared by passing that nip bottle around for just a little taste, I didn't have the heart to tell him that when packaged in those small bottles it's not Fireball the whiskey, but a Fireball branded cinnamon laced malt liquor.  

The latest comes from a retired New York City firefighter.  For fun, he created a professional wrestling ring in his backyard for a party.  To give it some credibility, he had a championship-like belt made that winners could wear.  After the party and the ring was taken down, he decided to bring the belt to the golf course every round.  Whenever anyone gets a birdie in his foursome, they get their picture taken with the belt and can wrap it around their golf bag until the next person gets a birdie or at the end of the match.  Here's me hoisting the belt twice in the last few weeks:

BirdieBelt1.jpg.b3bb74a0ef3d8c7dc5fb12068fddfdec.jpg  BirdieBelt2.jpg.5299303b8a0ec915ceaff62141147d3d.jpg

Of the two, I think the wearing of the wrestling belt is a bit more fun and probably overall much safer!

How about you all?  Any good birdie or other golf-related traditions?

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I kinda like that idea with the belt, I fear I wouldn't see the belt much, but a fun idea nonetheless! Does anything extra special happen for eagles? 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

9 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

I didn't have the heart to tell him that when packaged in those small bottles it's not Fireball the whiskey, but a Fireball branded cinnamon laced malt liquor.  

Depends on if labeled Fireball Cinnamon or Fireball Cinnamon whiskey.

to answer your question, no birdie traditions.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

We have a mixed bag in the groups I play with…some will take a shot of whatever liquor someone has in their bag, others do nothing.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Yeah, a high five or knuckles.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* 

Woods: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpg2W Mini  TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini 

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD 6.5 Proj.X IO shaft

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52  TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.pngMG4 56* (TW Grind) 

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Golf2Much said:

One interesting thing living in Key West is that get a chance to play with snowbirds and other golfers from all over the country and around the world.  Each individual brings something to the party and that includes some interesting and often strange traditions.  One category that came to mind today was when someone in their group gets a birdie.

Does your playing group have a tradition when someone gets a birdie?  Here are two that I've experienced recently.

I had a Midwest snowbird who packed his bag with nip bottles of Fireball.  Any time anyone in his foursome got a birdie (or better), he'd pull out a small bottle, open it up and pass it around so everyone could take a little swig.  Never mind the germs shared by passing that nip bottle around for just a little taste, I didn't have the heart to tell him that when packaged in those small bottles it's not Fireball the whiskey, but a Fireball branded cinnamon laced malt liquor.  

The latest comes from a retired New York City firefighter.  For fun, he created a professional wrestling ring in his backyard for a party.  To give it some credibility, he had a championship-like belt made that winners could wear.  After the party and the ring was taken down, he decided to bring the belt to the golf course every round.  Whenever anyone gets a birdie in his foursome, they get their picture taken with the belt and can wrap it around their golf bag until the next person gets a birdie or at the end of the match.  Here's me hoisting the belt twice in the last few weeks:

BirdieBelt1.jpg.b3bb74a0ef3d8c7dc5fb12068fddfdec.jpg  BirdieBelt2.jpg.5299303b8a0ec915ceaff62141147d3d.jpg

Of the two, I think the wearing of the wrestling belt is a bit more fun and probably overall much safer!

I agree with you regarding the wrestling belt …. Very cool!

None of the groups that I play in has any birdie, eagle, or albatross traditions. Of course, I think that I am the only one in any of my golf groups who has ever had an albatross.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

No real celebration traditions with my friends, other than if you get Eagle or better, you take the picture with the ball,  then maybe a drink of some sorts at the next pass of the beverage cart, at the turn, or after the round.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

No traditions in our group for birdies or eagles.  
Other than no one tees off before the guy who scored the Eagle! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

1 hour ago, Golf2Much said:

I think I first heard about the "birdie bottle" on another thread here. As a result, I keep a 375ml of whisky in my golf bag along with plastic shot glasses (infinitely more sanitary) for when someone makes a birdie. I was playing the other day, putting for birdie, didn't pull the flag, and my birdie attempt bounced off the stick. We hit the birdie bottle anyway because sometimes birdies are in your heart. 

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Posted (edited)

I'm back to playing thanks to 5 rounds of chemo, and currently play with 3 separate groups. In all of them, it's a sip of birdie juice from someone's flask. I actually had one tuesday, second shot on a par 4 never left the ground from 80 yds, and after curving around a bunker it settled a foot from the cup. 

Edited by excourse

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Ha! Actually yes. It's an "Okaaaayyy" call that we've done for years in a comically high pitch tone. And the birdie-getter has to flap his wings.

We're not very good so it doesn't happen too often. Love those guys though even though they're ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

4 hours ago, excourse said:

I'm back to playing thanks to 5 rounds of chemo, and currently play with 3 separate groups. In all of them, it's a sip of birdie juice from someone's flask. I actually had one tuesday, second shot on a par 4 never left the ground from 80 yds, and after curving around a bunker it settled a foot from the cup. 

Welcome back to golf!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

4 hours ago, excourse said:

Welcome back to the game!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

17 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

Nothing special here other than a congrats... this does have me thinking about what we should start doing though. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

17 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

We can't open a beer until the first birdie in a foursome..I have left the course sober and thirsty before🤷

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

12 hours ago, excourse said:

Welcome back to playing!! And FWIW, that's how most of my birdies happen too; an ugly shot that works out for me somehow.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Yeah, we go "holy crap a miracle" then we keep playing. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

In winter time golf a birdie means a swig of fireball.  Nothing for summer golf birdies though 

Traditionally if i birdie the first hole the rest of my round is crap.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Our birdie juice of choice here in Mexico is...wait for it...Tequila! We celebrate birdies or better with a shot, usually of Hornitos Tequila.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Everyone screams “Way to go Tiger!”  If they decided to reputt after a miss and it’s not a real birdie it’s a “Way to go Charlie”

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/