Exputt RG - 2024 Forum Review

On 8/7/2024 at 6:53 PM, MissionMan said:

I have to drop off after the game. Thanks. That was great fun. Work calls. 

btw, this is my practice setup. I use a ruler so I can ensure my swing distances are consistent for when I get out on the course. it has the same on the Matt but it’s not really visible enough for me

IMG_3921.jpeg.0b327c6a3f7288a6432a3bbd64e20d8b.jpeg

This is kinda genius idea, in my swing, I try to have more of a "feel" when hitting the ball, which is more related to my speed through the swing

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

3 minutes ago, AverageSizedDog said:

This is kinda genius idea, in my swing, I try to have more of a "feel" when hitting the ball, which is more related to my speed through the swing

I find it's too hit and miss for me personally when it comes to uphill and downhill. I have a friend is an amazing feel putter. I just found it challenging to adapt to different green speeds with that. I tried to practice set backswings so you can replicate a particular distance. For 10 stimp, 5 yards=9 inches so about 4 inches difference between distance in yards and backswing in inches, and then work the upslope and downslope impacts. So a 5 yard uphill putt that goes up a foot in height will be 12 inches of backswing instead of 9. Every 4 inches of upslope adds an inch of backswing for me. For downslope its every 3 inches of downslope removes an inch of backswing. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

Does the Exputt use any algorithm to determine changes in speed due to natural occurrences or strictly stimp? 

Examples

On real greens, temperature,  humidity,  sun direction, etc all affect ball speed and direction control. The grass grain direction on hole 1 may be different than on hole 5 or hole 9 depending on those things.

Is there a setting that incorporates that into it?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

11 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Does the Exputt use any algorithm to determine changes in speed due to natural occurrences or strictly stimp? 

Examples

On real greens, temperature,  humidity,  sun direction, etc all affect ball speed and direction control. The grass grain direction on hole 1 may be different than on hole 5 or hole 9 depending on those things.

Slopes and stimp only from what I see. I think it would be really hard to do sun as it depends on the grass type. Dew is another big factor but again, hard to see on a digital green

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

9 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Initial ball speed is all based on your stroke and isn’t impacted by those factors.    All of those things impact green speed and your read for how hard to hit the ball.   They are also a factor of time; the more time a green is in the sun during the day the faster it might get and that might be offset by the grass growing which slows it down.   Stimp is a measure of green speed in 2 directions so it kind of takes grain direction into account.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 hours ago, MissionMan said:

I find it's too hit and miss for me personally when it comes to uphill and downhill. I have a friend is an amazing feel putter. I just found it challenging to adapt to different green speeds with that. I tried to practice set backswings so you can replicate a particular distance. For 10 stimp, 5 yards=9 inches so about 4 inches difference between distance in yards and backswing in inches, and then work the upslope and downslope impacts. So a 5 yard uphill putt that goes up a foot in height will be 12 inches of backswing instead of 9. Every 4 inches of upslope adds an inch of backswing for me. For downslope its every 3 inches of downslope removes an inch of backswing. 

I like your ruler method, I tried to use it before but never seemed to work out for me, Im more of a feel putter and when I try to get mechanical I get bent out of shape and my stoke goes haywire 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

11 hours ago, MissionMan said:

"Feel" putter checking in here... this made my head hurt. 🤣

When I was a junior growing up @GolfSpy BOS-Dad taught me to read greens by visualizing pouring a bucket of water onto the green and figuring out how to get it to flow to the hole.  I'm not one to pace off putts (although I may a few times now to see if I feel a correlation between Exputt and my IRL putting) so for me it's entirely off the visuals of the green and feel.

I think I would get in trouble if I started to think about my backswing length during the stroke, but your system reminds me of the wedge clock system for partial shots, which I have tried using in the past.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

When I was a junior growing up @GolfSpy BOS-Dad taught me to read greens by visualizing pouring a bucket of water onto the green and figuring out how to get it to flow to the hole.  I'm not one to pace off putts (although I may a few times now to see if I feel a correlation between Exputt and my IRL putting) so for me it's entirely off the visuals of the green and feel.

I think I would get in trouble if I started to think about my backswing length during the stroke, but your system reminds me of the wedge clock system for partial shots, which I have tried using in the past.

I feel the same, mine is all visual and I start reading the greens as I approach them, I don’t pace off the putt to get an idea of length, but try to get a feel of any slopes with my feet if I missed it visually. 
Ilike the bucket of water idea, when I’m reading putts, I visual a dotted line on my path to the whole, that helped me tremendously 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

6 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

I've certainly not tried this method before and have generally been a feel putter but then again, have loved having more stats in hand since I started using a Golf watch etc to better track my rounds. Agree it seems a bit like the clock system but as a few people have pointed out, unless you are looking at all the variables, i.e. it's X foot with a slope of Y and a stimp of Z and it's a bit dewy, and the wind is going there it feels like there is almost too much to track for it all. Certainly not suggesting, it may be a ton more accurate than my 'feel' but I expect it would confuse the bejeezus out of me standing over a putt rather than making me feel confident in making it.

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
RUNNER Mallet putter  

10 minutes ago, SDunne said:

Agree it seems a bit like the clock system but as a few people have pointed out, unless you are looking at all the variables, i.e. it's X foot with a slope of Y and a stimp of Z and it's a bit dewy, and the wind is going there it feels like there is almost too much to track for it all. Certainly not suggesting, it may be a ton more accurate than my 'feel' but I expect it would confuse the bejeezus out of me standing over a putt rather than making me feel confident in making it.

How do you "dial in" your feel or do you just take your stance and make a stroke with zero known thoughts?    

Feel in my mind has you doing those physics calculations but you just don't acknowledge them.  It is like grabbing a glass or throwing a ball,  you do things instinctually but your mind is doing lots of calculations.   This is how we as human species survive.  

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

How do you "dial in" your feel or do you just take your stance and make a stroke with zero known thoughts?    

Feel in my mind has you doing those physics calculations but you just don't acknowledge them.  It is like grabbing a glass or throwing a ball,  you do things instinctually but your mind is doing lots of calculations.   This is how we as human species survive.  

Oh for certain it's a lot like darts or any precision sport - I need to practice and get a feel for the putt power as well as gaining an understanding of what the greens may be doing that day etc. 

My point being more that if I was trying to measure everything including then working out how far back I needed to bring the putter I would be more worried about getting that stuff right than giving my own internal computer the time to 'feel' where I need to aim, how much power etc. 

What I'm really interested in is how the Exputt is helping those who may be more feel players without having the green in front of them to really get an idea of.

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
RUNNER Mallet putter  

16 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think that's exactly what happens. Some people are feel players and automatically work things out in their head, some people aren't, or maybe feel will happen eventually for me or I'll get better at it. I was always bad reading break because of my glasses (so I use aimpoint) and feeling distances so I had to go the scientific way. I used to find if I had a bad putt early, it threw my feel off. Now I stick to the plan, no matter what happens and it works well.

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

56 minutes ago, SDunne said:

What I'm really interested in is how the Exputt is helping those who may be more feel players without having the green in front of them to really get an idea of.

I have done the measure the stroke length approach and am working more on the build a feel based on what I sense.   I think there are a couple of ways to do "feel" but this is a difficult task on ExPutt.  If you can internalize the distance then you can work on the feel necessary to hit the ball that distance.   If you need to physically see the flag distance I think the ExPutt will be a difficult system to leverage. 

3 hours ago, SDunne said:

Oh for certain it's a lot like darts or any precision sport - I need to practice and get a feel for the putt power as well as gaining an understanding of what the greens may be doing that day etc. 

My point being more that if I was trying to measure everything including then working out how far back I needed to bring the putter I would be more worried about getting that stuff right than giving my own internal computer the time to 'feel' where I need to aim, how much power etc. 

So when I am in practice mode (flat, no break) I literally look at the screen to see the distance and then pay no attention to it.  I visualize the shot in my mind and go.  

For longer putts ive been thinking things like "putt it down the hall" because I have a mental reference of that distance and corresponding feel.  I'm still fairly trashy on 30-50 footers, but it's getting a little better.  

Honestly I think the sweet spot for a product like this is 10-30 feet.  Less than that its easy enough to have a putting mat and something like a putt out to get real results with.  Further than that I'm not sure I'm buying into it yet.  

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

To the testers, I tried some of the stickers to get face and path figures.  My regular setup is just not quite bright enough to do without.

I noticed that I get a lot of significantly left path numbers, but it looks like it's because my ball was too far back in the hitting zone:

IMG_1390.jpegIMG_1391.jpeg

Based on the screen grab, at impact my path was much more neutral than represented by the numbers.

Have you all noticed any significant variances or do you find it to be fairly accurate?  I'll try moving my ball up next time.

9 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

Based on the screen grab, at impact my path was much more neutral than represented by the numbers.

Are you judging the ball impact location based on the path diagram?   I never tried to see if the original detected where on the face I made impact; may have to see if it does that.     Not sure how you can determine path by a single screen grab since path is how the putter moves

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Are you judging the ball impact location based on the path diagram?   I never tried to see if the original detected where on the face I made impact; may have to see if it does that.     Not sure how you can determine path by a single screen grab since path is how the putter moves

I'm going to mess around with my ball placement in the accepted range.  My theory is that a ball in the back is going to show more of a left path and a ball forward in the zone will show a right path, because I do not think it's calculating at the moment of impact, but as the putter passes through the zone.

15 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

So when I am in practice mode (flat, no break) I literally look at the screen to see the distance and then pay no attention to it.  I visualize the shot in my mind and go.  

For longer putts ive been thinking things like "putt it down the hall" because I have a mental reference of that distance and corresponding feel.  I'm still fairly trashy on 30-50 footers, but it's getting a little better.  

Honestly I think the sweet spot for a product like this is 10-30 feet.  Less than that its easy enough to have a putting mat and something like a putt out to get real results with.  Further than that I'm not sure I'm buying into it yet.  

I know you can get the put out in the challenge mode, I think in the explore mode also. 

I'm good with the 0 to 30 footers, then I'm about a 75 to 25% getting it within 4 feet of the hole. 

The ExPutt has helped me on the long distance putts, I rely on my imaginary dotted line I visualize with my eyes going from dot to dot. 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

4 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

I'm going to mess around with my ball placement in the accepted range.  My theory is that a ball in the back is going to show more of a left path and a ball forward in the zone will show a right path, because I do not think it's calculating at the moment of impact, but as the putter passes through the zone.

I notice with my stroke path the at impact I'm pretty close to square then finish left as I found I cut across the putt. I think it may need to shorten the follow threw data to improve the numbers.

I think the Exputt grabs the data after impact of the stroke, no matter where the ball is placed in the strike zone. 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

15 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

To the testers, I tried some of the stickers to get face and path figures.  My regular setup is just not quite bright enough to do without.

I noticed that I get a lot of significantly left path numbers, but it looks like it's because my ball was too far back in the hitting zone:

Have you all noticed any significant variances or do you find it to be fairly accurate?  I'll try moving my ball up next time.

Your path is just like mine, some times I get a reading as high as L7.2 then my face angle is R0.2 

I think it reads past the white markings on the mat which is producing the L - swing path.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

ExPutt review - ADDED a Putting Stroke trainer.

So, I was dumpster diving in my shed last evening I came across an old putting trainer that I got from The PGA Partners Club (Life Member) about 25 years ago. Similar to MyGolfSpy as they chose members randomly to test and review new products.

The trainer is named CLEARTRACK Putting Stroke Trainer, I placed it on the mat of the ExPutt and it fit perfect between the sensor markings and lines up perfectly with the markings on the mat. 

I haven't got a chance to try it out yet, that will be tonight once I get back from Steelers training camp. 

Here are some pictures of the ClearTrack on the ExPutt.20240814_084514.jpg.d8035c0b2d8038ac80fe59d80b727537.jpg20240813_212953.jpg.c58f88077e34bd9ef82c63e236a591fe.jpg20240813_213007.jpg.6378cd3d30a034329f3b7d32f4958573.jpg20240813_213248.jpg.76d09ff41b24edf0b6515909cf714a65.jpg

20240814_091548.jpg.e4e04d1e740b2471c98017da67ba22b9.jpg

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

ExPutt Stroke Training Update
Think I need to black out the path the sensor reads, currently the ExPutt doesn’t recognize the ball when place in the ready position, or thinking of making a clear plexiglass base and attaching the guide rails and markings with some pinstripe tape.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Played a round with two of my son’s yesterday. My oldest who is 30 has been over multiple time this past week using the Exputt. He was skeptical about how it would translate to putting improvement IRL. After our round he commented that the practice on the Exputt made a huge difference. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

ExPutt - Practice

Just finish to 2 rounds of 9 holes on Random course at an 11 Stimp, 1st round I finished 5 over using a new custom built putter and the 2nd round finish 1 over. Finally getting the hang of reading the greens and the slopes. 

I'm pretty happy right now with the performance of the ExPutt, not sure if it was my set up or heck probably just me.

One thing I did notice on a couple putts that the ball will jump offline right after impact, I think it is because after a few putts the ball tends to sink ever so slightly and when I ground the putter the ball will roll back a hair. I have mine on a plush carpet so I will be putting some plexiglass under the mat the see if that makes a difference with speed control and swing path and face angle.

I'm still going to experiment clear track stroke trainer, more to come on that.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Jumped on tonight and played a multiplayer game with a random user who had started a 3 hole challenge. Easy, quick and fun. 

Edited by Wolfstrum

18 hours ago, buckpillar said:

ExPutt review - ADDED a Putting Stroke trainer.

So, I was dumpster diving in my shed last evening I came across an old putting trainer that I got from The PGA Partners Club (Life Member) about 25 years ago. Similar to MyGolfSpy as they chose members randomly to test and review new products.

The trainer is named CLEARTRACK Putting Stroke Trainer, I placed it on the mat of the ExPutt and it fit perfect between the sensor markings and lines up perfectly with the markings on the mat. 

I haven't got a chance to try it out yet, that will be tonight once I get back from Steelers training camp. 

Here are some pictures of the ClearTrack on the ExPutt.20240814_084514.jpg.d8035c0b2d8038ac80fe59d80b727537.jpg20240813_212953.jpg.c58f88077e34bd9ef82c63e236a591fe.jpg20240813_213007.jpg.6378cd3d30a034329f3b7d32f4958573.jpg20240813_213248.jpg.76d09ff41b24edf0b6515909cf714a65.jpg

20240814_091548.jpg.e4e04d1e740b2471c98017da67ba22b9.jpg

This seems like an add on product opportunity for Exputt. They should offer an accessory like this as part of their product offering. 

5 hours ago, Wolfstrum said:

This seems like an add on product opportunity for Exputt. They should offer an accessory like this as part of their product offering. 

It would be a cool add on, start without, practice with and then see your numbers after.

I need to find some black paper tape cover it and mark off the lines 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Lots of positive posts!  

Have you experienced anything that might prevent you from considering this for a home sim setup addition?

How easy/hard is it to re-setup, or pack up and move?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Lots of positive posts!  

Have you experienced anything that might prevent you from considering this for a home sim setup addition?

How easy/hard is it to re-setup, or pack up and move?

Arrow is definitely point up for an addition to anyone's home.

Set up is Simple even I could do it, all you need is a TV , HDMI cord, power , and an internet connection, you can be up in running in 10 minutes

ExPutt did a good job with the simplicity of connecting it to a TV , monitor or Ipad

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com