TaylorMade P-Series and Hi-Toe 4 Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

I am a slow reader and just got to this section.  Congrats to all chosen, this will be exciting to follow.  I am especially  interested in the 7cb irons and those 770s look very nice.  Good luck to all.  One thing I would like to ask from the start though.  When you receive your clubs, can you have the specs checked?  I was reading the Titleist Vokey app tester comments and those testers received their equipment with incorrect specs.  Just wondering if TM is having the same issue.

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

4 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

I am a slow reader and just got to this section.  Congrats to all chosen, this will be exciting to follow.  I am especially  interested in the 7cb irons and those 770s look very nice.  Good luck to all.  One thing I would like to ask from the start though.  When you receive your clubs, can you have the specs checked?  I was reading the Titleist Vokey app tester comments and those testers received their equipment with incorrect specs.  Just wondering if TM is having the same issue.

@Shapotomous has checked his -P7CBs for  L/L/L to spec, here:

I am going to get mine checked too. 

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Denali 60g 6.5

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. Project X T Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It is all OEM's and most of their + and - tolerances are 2*. When I was on staff with a big name OEM I received my new irons and was hitting my 7 and 8 irons very similar distances. I took them to Golfsmith and had them measured. The 8 iron was 2* strong and the 7 iron was 2* weak so the exact same loft. 🙄  But within tolerances. That's when I bought my first Loft & Lie machine. 

... Every set of irons I have ever received have been off spec for lofts and lies, some worse than others. I am not a part of this testing group but pre-ordered P770's and was shocked when they came in and I measured them. Every single iron dead on spec with the exception of the 8 iron that had a loft of 36* instead of 37*.  Pretty freakin' amazing and TM is killing to with these irons. 

Good information. I can see the clubs being off a small amount but 2° tolerance either way is two clubs with the same loft or very close as you mentioned.  One would think, especially after a fitting, that the clubs would be closer to spot on than 2°.  Thanks.

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

2 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

Good information. I can see the clubs being off a small amount but 2° tolerance either way is two clubs with the same loft or very close as you mentioned.  One would think, especially after a fitting, that the clubs would be closer to spot on than 2°.  Thanks.

... The fittings don't factor into it. I think many envision skilled technicians assembling a full set of irons from start to finish. But clubs are put together on an assembly line by minimum wage workers and in all likelihood none of them have ever even played golf. It's just a job for them and they need to do their part of the assembly quickly before it moves to the next station, so it's easy to make mistakes of 1* or 2*. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

I got out to play the first 9 with the P-7CB's this afternoon!!    I played my own ball and dropped a ball to hit from where SWMBO hit her drive to get an additional swing with a different club.  In general the 8,9 & AW were flush contact and dead on target.  High trajectory, slight fade, landed and stayed within 3' of the ball mark.  Playing my ball, I had an approach shot with each of those clubs land within 8' from the pin and made the birdie putts. 

The ball flight was noticeably higher than the Mizuno's, yardage was about 5 yards less.  The Mizuno spec lofts are 2* stronger than the P-7CB's and I had the P-7CB's set up 1* strong.  The 5 yard less distance is in line with the 1 to 1.5* more loft I measured on the P-7CB's vs. the JPX900's.  

The 5, 6 & 7 irons were not as good for me today but i was not making good contact.  Toe side or thin misses that were left and short of the target.  I only had 2 shots with the 7i and both were on the first two holes when I wasn't really loose at all.  I had gone right from the car to the tee to get ahead of a foursome so I discount those 7i misses.  I had quite a few 5 & 6 iron shots from the spousal units tee shot locations and all were thin or toey.  This is after I was loose so I need to figure out what I was doing there.  I had one flush 5i, a tee ball on a short par 4.  

I am very encouraged by the 8,9,A pin seeking ball flight.  I don't care about the yardage difference, as long as that is consistent I will know what club to pull for X yardage.

Outside of the P-7CB performance, the extra putting sessions I have been doing are making a difference.  I had 13 putts, all on line and all first putt misses left tap in's.  Getting a routine and sticking to it has helped my consistency.

One downer is that I couldnt get my Mevo to give any good readings today.  I was hoping last nights issues were because of it being indoors and limited ball flight to the net.  But today was worse with it not even registering most of the shots.  The ones it did 'see' were off by about 15 yards.  I need to get that back to working.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I don't care about the yardage difference, as long as that is consistent I will know what club to pull for X yardage.

... Good stuff and it seems you are off to a good start! I wish more understood this. It can take a little while to understand how different shots with new irons perform, like 3/4 or 1/2 swings and knockdown shots as well as into or downwind but once dialed in, distances really don't matter as long as your gaps are covered. 

1 hour ago, Medfloat said:

I feel the P-7CB's were all very close to their spec.  My old equipment has not been calibrated so my machine could be off a couple degrees from actual.  But what I do expect is the repeatability and consistency of the data it supplies.  For example I measured the 9i at 39*, the spec loft is 41*, mine are 1* strong so they should be 40*.  My machine could easily be off 1*.  The measurements of the other irons were consistent with the 9i measurement showing 1 - 2 degrees less loft than the spec + my 1* strong.  This was also the case for the lie angle measurements compared to the spec #'s.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Indy_Oz said:

@Shapotomous has checked his -P7CBs for  L/L/L to spec, here:

I am going to get mine checked too. 

I am reading your review right now and looking at your measurements…looks like the numbers are fairly consistent in progression.  

Edited by Medfloat

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

19 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

I am reading your review right now and looking at your measurements…looks like the numbers are fairly consistent in progression.  

The progression measurement is consistent and I don't think it is realistic with my equipment to measure down to the 1/2 degree difference they have in lie angle's. 

Based on the ball flight, whatever the lie angle number is for the 8,9 & Aw it matches what I need that's for sure!   🤩

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

I got out to play the first 9 with the P-7CB's this afternoon!!    I played my own ball and dropped a ball to hit from where SWMBO hit her drive to get an additional swing with a different club.  In general the 8,9 & AW were flush contact and dead on target.  High trajectory, slight fade, landed and stayed within 3' of the ball mark.  Playing my ball, I had an approach shot with each of those clubs land within 8' from the pin and made the birdie putts. 

The ball flight was noticeably higher than the Mizuno's, yardage was about 5 yards less.  The Mizuno spec lofts are 2* stronger than the P-7CB's and I had the P-7CB's set up 1* strong.  The 5 yard less distance is in line with the 1 to 1.5* more loft I measured on the P-7CB's vs. the JPX900's.  

The 5, 6 & 7 irons were not as good for me today but i was not making good contact.  Toe side or thin misses that were left and short of the target.  I only had 2 shots with the 7i and both were on the first two holes when I wasn't really loose at all.  I had gone right from the car to the tee to get ahead of a foursome so I discount those 7i misses.  I had quite a few 5 & 6 iron shots from the spousal units tee shot locations and all were thin or toey.  This is after I was loose so I need to figure out what I was doing there.  I had one flush 5i, a tee ball on a short par 4.  

I am very encouraged by the 8,9,A pin seeking ball flight.  I don't care about the yardage difference, as long as that is consistent I will know what club to pull for X yardage.

Outside of the P-7CB performance, the extra putting sessions I have been doing are making a difference.  I had 13 putts, all on line and all first putt misses left tap in's.  Getting a routine and sticking to it has helped my consistency.

One downer is that I couldnt get my Mevo to give any good readings today.  I was hoping last nights issues were because of it being indoors and limited ball flight to the net.  But today was worse with it not even registering most of the shots.  The ones it did 'see' were off by about 15 yards.  I need to get that back to working.

Over the last few days of hitting the irons flush on the sim or course, have you experienced any flier "hot shots" like the P790s had?

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

22 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

The progression measurement is consistent and I don't think it is realistic with my equipment to measure down to the 1/2 degree difference they have in lie angle's. 

Based on the ball flight, whatever the lie angle number is for the 8,9 & Aw it matches what I need that's for sure!   🤩

That's comforting news.  Those are scoring clubs and IMHO need to be close to specs out of the box to give the buyer confidence in their purchase.

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

9 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

Over the last few days of hitting the irons flush on the sim or course, have you experienced any flier "hot shots" like the P790s had?

I have not had any hot flier shots.  Carry distance for 8, 9 & Aw have been clustered long to short.  I need more data for the 5, 6 & 7 with good swings.

14 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but from the limited experience I've had with my P7CBs so far, I have not experienced this issue. I have practiced with these irons on the range and have also played one round with them (this past Sunday). My personal opinion is that when you catch these flush, they're as pure as can be. Even on the mishits, there is more forgiveness than I had expected.

Will be delving into more details in terms of first impressions, feel, etc. later this week in a longer post, but wanted to share my two cents so far.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e3cc5559919d7bec2abdbe999c30614b.jpg P7CB (4-PW), Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff (testing in progress)

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

6 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but from the limited experience I've had with my P7CBs so far, I have not experienced this issue. I have practiced with these irons on the range and have also played one round with them (this past Sunday). My personal opinion is that when you catch these flush, they're as pure as can be. Even on the mishits, there is more forgiveness than I had expected.

Will be delving into more details in terms of first impressions, feel, etc. later this week in a longer post, but wanted to share my two cents so far.

My apologies, I should have asked this to all testers even for the P770s.  

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... The fittings don't factor into it. I think many envision skilled technicians assembling a full set of irons from start to finish. But clubs are put together on an assembly line by minimum wage workers and in all likelihood none of them have ever even played golf. It's just a job for them and they need to do their part of the assembly quickly before it moves to the next station, so it's easy to make mistakes of 1* or 2*. 

Obviously, when I do a club fitting, the clubs ARE meticulously assembled and measured multiple times by a highly skilled technician. Furthermore, when I do a fitting for an OEM (such as Tour Edge Golf, Sub 70, New Level, etc.), the clubs may be built at their facilities, but I check all specifications and tweak anything that requires tweaking. Additionally, whenever possible, I order clubs shipped with the grips loose in the box. This way, I have far more latitude when it comes to fine-tuning swingweights, etc., plus I can build up under certain portions of the grips and I can weight-sort those grips to get the swingweights or MOI measurements much tighter.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

20 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

... I have addressed this in the past but never hurts to do it again. There were no hot spots on the P790's. I played the first two versions and never experienced a flier, other than some grass between the ball and the face. OEMs don't do exhaustive R&D and then release a club that can jump 10-20yds farther than normal. 

... That said, there were circumstances that could lead to a ball traveling farther than expected with P790's. The most important is while many hollow headed players irons retain excellent ball speed on mishits and you didn't see the kind of distance loss between missing the center by 1/2" or more like you might with a MB or solid CB, when hitting the ball dead center you will produce more distance than the misses. Far too many hit the dead center and gain a few yards and think they had a flier. It is even more pronounced with a driver and we have all seen someone hit that one big drive and lament "Why can't I swing like that every time?" when the reality is the just hit the dead center for a change. 🤪

... The 2nd phenomenon is those playing P790's with high swing speeds. I never understood why someone that hits a 7 iron around 200 yds would want a hollow headed iron because the bottom of their bag would be virtually unplayable. The same applies for center contact but even more of a difference. Swinging that fast the thin face flexes more and center contact could easily produce a shot 10-15yds longer than a slight miss. But PGA Pro's would not have put P790 #2, #3 and #4 irons in their bags if they produced fliers. 

... The last part of the equation is balls hit high on the face. Because the face flexes on a hollow headed iron, you can get very good yardage hit high on the face but it will have reduced spin compared to shots hit near the sweet spot and depending on swing speed you could get a 20-30 yd jump because more than likely that ball is sitting up in the grass and the payer hit under the ball because the didn't choke up a little to compensate for the lie. But that is a mishit and a rare mishit at that. 

... No iron is perfect and all have advantages and disadvantages so the goal is finding irons that compliment your style of play. 

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

Obviously, when I do a club fitting, the clubs ARE meticulously assembled and measured multiple times by a highly skilled technician. Furthermore, when I do a fitting for an OEM (such as Tour Edge Golf, Sub 70, New Level, etc.), the clubs may be built at their facilities, but I check all specifications and tweak anything that requires tweaking.

... Good stuff Doug (and why I promoted you earlier 😉) and that is one of the many reasons to go to a qualified fitter that does the club assembly. My response was about those that get fit, order their clubs from the OEM's and then they are shipped to their house like every testing opportunity. Always a good idea to take those clubs to someone like you and have them checked. 

... I have a Mitchel Tour L&L machine so I don't care if the specs are off new irons/wedges, but most aren't in that position. But again, I was shocked at how perfectly on spec my P770's were and I only had to adjust my 8 iron loft by 1*.   

44 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have addressed this in the past but never hurts to do it again. There were no hot spots on the P790's. I played the first two versions and never experienced a flier, other than some grass between the ball and the face. OEMs don't do exhaustive R&D and then release a club that can jump 10-20yds farther than normal. 

... That said, there were circumstances that could lead to a ball traveling farther than expected with P790's. The most important is while many hollow headed players irons retain excellent ball speed on mishits and you didn't see the kind of distance loss between missing the center by 1/2" or more like you might with a MB or solid CB, when hitting the ball dead center you will produce more distance than the misses. Far too many hit the dead center and gain a few yards and think they had a flier. It is even more pronounced with a driver and we have all seen someone hit that one big drive and lament "Why can't I swing like that every time?" when the reality is the just hit the dead center for a change. 🤪

... The 2nd phenomenon is those playing P790's with high swing speeds. I never understood why someone that hits a 7 iron around 200 yds would want a hollow headed iron because the bottom of their bag would be virtually unplayable. The same applies for center contact but even more of a difference. Swinging that fast the thin face flexes more and center contact could easily produce a shot 10-15yds longer than a slight miss. But PGA Pro's would not have put P790 #2, #3 and #4 irons in their bags if they produced fliers. 

... The last part of the equation is balls hit high on the face. Because the face flexes on a hollow headed iron, you can get very good yardage hit high on the face but it will have reduced spin compared to shots hit near the sweet spot and depending on swing speed you could get a 20-30 yd jump because more than likely that ball is sitting up in the grass and the payer hit under the ball because the didn't choke up a little to compensate for the lie. But that is a mishit and a rare mishit at that. 

... No iron is perfect and all have advantages and disadvantages so the goal is finding irons that compliment your style of play. 

I think this is one of the things I'm most "worried" about with how I hit the ball. fliers. My current 7 irons both go around that 185-190 mark and it does indeed create a weird gapping in the bottom of my bag. When I had my fitting that number topped out at 190. Flying in the 182-185 range. And I had no fliers during the testing. I'll have things checked and possibly look to bending to get the right distance gaps in the bag too. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

8 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

I think this is one of the things I'm most "worried" about with how I hit the ball. fliers. My current 7 irons both go around that 185-190 mark and it does indeed create a weird gapping in the bottom of my bag. When I had my fitting that number topped out at 190. Flying in the 182-185 range. And I had no fliers during the testing. I'll have things checked and possibly look to bending to get the right distance gaps in the bag too. 

... I really don't think you need to be worried. Nelly Korda played the previous P770's in 7 iron - 4 iron and winning 5 times this year she depends on exact yardages. She wouldn't have them in her bag if they produced flies from clean lies. I have about 5 rounds in with my 770's and they are very consistent for yardage and trajectory. 

On the way home from work today, I stopped at a range to hit a small bucket of balls. First time hitting the P770s outside (sim only over the weekend).

I'm pulling together my initial impressions post/ update this week (want to get one one outdoor range session before playing a round with them on Sunday), but two things were immediately apparent during today's very short range session...

1. Buttery soft feel through the set. Even the 4-iron felt great and not just center-strikes. Closer to a CB on feel and sound than my old P790s.

2. They launch! Very impressive launch with all clubs. Don't know the peak height, but the 4-iron height was really pleasing to see and higher than I'd honestly expected to hit it.

For a short session straight from work with minimal warming up and stretching, I was pleasantly surprised how I hit the irons. I'm sure the forgiveness played its part!

2024 WITB:

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. Project X T Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

32 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I really don't think you need to be worried. Nelly Korda played the previous P770's in 7 iron - 4 iron and winning 5 times this year she depends on exact yardages. She wouldn't have them in her bag if they produced flies from clean lies. I have about 5 rounds in with my 770's and they are very consistent for yardage and trajectory. 

Nelly Korda is good company. I think I need to work on my ball striking a bit now ahah

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Completely agree and that center-of-face (a few grooves higher than ideal) strike is what P790 owners refer to as a hot shot. Even off a par 3 tee shot, if you hit it a little high you can get a disconcerting amount of extra distance due to the additional face flex and 'trampolining' resulting in a low spin rocket. Out of rough, with even less spin, it can be yet more pronounced.

My swing is fast enough that this effect is exaggerated, I think. On a 150yd par 5 (where back edge of green is 160-163yds), I had a 9 iron shot on a calm day fly into the undergrowth behind the green (approx 170yds). 9-iron with the P790 is a 150-155yd stock full shot for me. My impact was at least a couple of grooves high.

So far with the P770 I'm not seeing  that at all. Admittedly, it's very early days, but at the range today I hit around the face (not intentionally, lol) and saw balls landing consistently in the same tight areas with all irons. Much closer to the MC/CB I think. The big test will be on course and I can't wait for that. I'll get another range session in before the weekend and I'll go to a range with lots of targets, so I can check distances with the range finder and treat it like a round, hitting targets for known distances and shot shapes (how I like to practice).

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

The P770s sound great so far.   Loving the initial reviews ! 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

I took the 5, 6 & 7 irons out to the pole barn for a net session this morning to work on my swing.  

Things smoothed out with the swing sequence and i am finding the sweet spot with the 7 so i switch to the 6.  The first 5 or so balls are pretty good, i nut the 6th and the net doesnt flex?!?!?  And i hear some noise from the trees beyond the door!  😱

I check the net closely and see a torn spot.  Time to quit!  Later today i will flip the net from end to end so there is a fresh impact zone to abuse.  The net is about 4-1/2 years old and that impact zone spot does get exposed to the sun since i dont always close the doors.

Anyway i may get to the course later today to hit some long irons.  Hopefully some good swings and contact will give me good comparison data to the gamers.

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

I took the 5, 6 & 7 irons out to the pole barn for a net session this morning to work on my swing.  

Things smoothed out with the swing sequence and i am finding the sweet spot with the 7 so i switch to the 6.  The first 5 or so balls are pretty good, i nut the 6th and the net doesnt flex?!?!?  And i hear some noise from the trees beyond the door!  😱

I check the net closely and see a torn spot.  Time to quit!  Later today i will flip the net from end to end so there is a fresh impact zone to abuse.  The net is about 4-1/2 years old and that impact zone spot does get exposed to the sun since i dont always close the doors.

Anyway i may get to the course later today to hit some long irons.  Hopefully some good swings and contact will give me good comparison data to the gamers.

Test this man for steroids!!! New found clubs, new found strength!  Glad you got the long club swing worked out.  This is the area I have been focused on since I have decided to play farther tees and challenge my game more. 

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

1 hour ago, Medfloat said:

Test this man for steroids!!! New found clubs, new found strength!  Glad you got the long club swing worked out.  This is the area I have been focused on since I have decided to play farther tees and challenge my game more. 

IMG_20241002_121527307.jpg.8b9b6a1d6d16339f71331f2c9a33433f.jpg

A second weak spot just above the rip.  The other end of the net seems in better shape.

15 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Completely agree and that center-of-face (a few grooves higher than ideal) strike is what P790 owners refer to as a hot shot. Even off a par 3 tee shot, if you hit it a little high you can get a disconcerting amount of extra distance due to the additional face flex and 'trampolining' resulting in a low spin rocket.

... I don't wanna quibble or bog this thread down but golfers get scared when they read statements like this and having played two versions of the P790's and the current P770's I don't think a "few grooves higher" makes much difference and you need to be 4 or 5 grooves higher. For the vast majority of golfers this just isn't an issue. I really don't want readers to think a few grooves up will cause them to fly greens. I know plenty of golfers at all index levels that play P790's and have never experienced any fliers at all. 

... So back to the current irons and looking forward to reading about all you guys journey to see if they will become your gamers! 🥳

20 hours ago, chisag said:

Fully agree!

I play the current Gen P790's that I got fitted back in April, and have not had any fliers that have occurred during my approximate 12 or so full rounds I have played with them, nor the 100's or range balls that I have sent down range every weekend since getting them. 

I have had many, many shots that felt amazing though when I finished my swing. I heard the crisp sound of the ball being fully squeezed between the club head & the ground and never felt the ball make contact with the club head, yet I was watching the ball sail through the air and carry out to the normal distance that my shot usually travels and stops at. This isn't a flyer though, this is nailing the screws on the club head; it's hitting the dead center of the club and seeing what you are truly capable of with that club if you could consistently hit your same, best swing every time.

Being afraid of this happening is like a like a body builder being afraid that the 500lb deadlift he's about hit is going to be too easy for him; It's not a bad thing, it just means you are improving and need to take the next step in your game, so that you are able to use all of your ability on the course in this never ending chase of greatness that we call the game of golf. 

Driver:   2024 Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9deg(wgt'd draw w/ hosel set +1&draw)
Hybrids:  2022 TSR2 - 3Hybrid(19Deg)
Irons:    2023 T790 5-9i,Pw,Aw - Dynamic Gold 115g Stiff
Wedges:   2024 Vokey SM10 55Deg(56Deg loft adj. -1) - same
Putter:   2004 Scotty Cameron Futura - 38.25", 4Deg Lie
Ball:     2020 Vice Pro, Callaway SuperHot/SuperSoft Matte

4 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

IMG_20241002_121527307.jpg.8b9b6a1d6d16339f71331f2c9a33433f.jpg

A second weak spot just above the rip.  The other end of the net seems in better shape.

Oh boy…time for a new net

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x