Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

RT Technologies Shafts

JMiller

Well, I have in passing talked about these shafts I felt it was time to write about these shafts. I have a ton of shafts to write up reviews on this is going to be massive, lets roll.

MY NOTES

This is not the shaft or company that you will will find laying around majority of shops. When I first got introduced to the line I heard the statement "The best shafts you have not heard of yet". That's pretty bold, I ended up hearing that used in USPG Black Ops shaft as well about 1.5 years later. RT Technologies is not a company that is in the hands of the most popular tour pros, their biggest selling product that gets the most publicity is the hybrid shaft RT Technologies Midas, Bernhard Langer plays one, and many other Champions tour players as well.

I don't want to get too much into the company and where you might be able to find a shaft. Here is their website http://www.rttechnologies.net/ it is a bit out of date, but you can pull together and poke around getting the history of the shafts and the company. I hope that they update that dang website soon enough.

The company in general has a claim to a Smooth shaft that doesn't lose performance, if that sounds like I stole someone's marketing line it is because you probably have heard that from KBS iron shafts as well. The Profile and Feel of the RT Line I have listed bellow all feel a lot like the KBS line to me.

SHAFT INFO

RT Technologies Zeus LT

Finish ~ Copper and Silver ion paint blend.

Kick Point ~ High

Torque ~ 3.0*

Butt ~ Stiff

Mid ~ Medium

Tip ~ Stiff

Launch ~ Low to Mid

Weight ~ 68g

NOTES ~ fastest recovering sub70 gram shaft on the market.

RT Technologies Zeus

Finish ~ All Silver

Kick Point ~ High

Torque ~ 2.7*

Butt ~ Very Stiff

Mid ~ Stiff

Tip ~ Very Stiff

Launch ~ Low to Mid

Weight ~ 75g

NOTES ~ Before Jhonattan Vegas played the NUNCHUCK he was playing the All Silver Zeus. I have heard that the UST Mamiya Nventix Nunchuk that Vegas plays now "borrowed" their profile from the Zeus but that I have no proof of at all I have never played a NUNCHUCK.

RT Technologies Zeus

Finish ~ Copper & Silver ion paint

Kick Point ~ High

Profile ~ Exact same as Zeus LT

Launch ~ Low to Mid

Weight ~ 85g

NOTES ~ This shaft is no longer in production, I happen to have bought the last uncut on the market from what I know. It is my fairway metal shaft.

RT Technologies Midas

Finish ~ Gold Ion Finish (looks more like Bronze then gold to me)

Kick Point ~ High

Profile ~ Pretty much same as the Zeus LT

Launch ~ Low to Mid

Weight ~ 88g

NOTES ~ Most popular shaft in the Rt line up, used big time on the Senior tour in hybrids. This is being used in my hybrid very good preforming shaft.

Shaft Testing Expectations

Driver

This needs to be a low launch, low spin shaft that gives me optimal trajectory on normal shots but allows me to also control the shot shape and trajectory off the tee. I know that a Driver is not exactly the most workable club in the bag compared to others with the modern golf ball and modern driver, I still want to at least get 5 and 10 yard shot shapes from it at least.

I prefer a 75g type of shaft, but when it comes to a sub70 I won't go lower the 60grams, I could play a 85 if I wanted but I think it is a bit heavy for what I want after testing the Diamana WB and BB in 83 X-Stiff.

Fairway

This needs to give me ultimate control and distance. I use a fairway as a surgery precision knife blade as much as possible in the need to have perfect control is highly expected. I prefer a shaft that is a 80g series shaft something around 85grams is perfect. I want to be able to have confidence to hit one low, high, draw, fade, straight (well any curve inside 5 yards I consider straight), hook, slice. When the fairway comes out it is a must find fairway, a recovery for a long par 4, maybe trying to reach a par 5 in two, target and shot shape on this is as important as an iron.

Hybrid

This needs to give me ultimate control and distance. I use a hybrid as a surgery precision knife blade as much as possible in the need to have perfect control is highly expected. I prefer a shaft that is a 90g to 110g series shaft something around 95grams is perfect. However I can play a high 80 gram shaft, mine currently is a 88g. I want to be able to have confidence to hit one low, high, draw, fade, straight (well any curve inside 5 yards I consider straight), hook, slice. When the fairway comes out it is a must find fairway, a recovery for a long par 4, maybe trying to reach a par 5 in two, target and shot shape on this is as important as an iron.

ON THE COURSE TESTING

RT Technologies Zeus LT

I have played this shaft for a little over a year and a half. This is the longest running driver shaft that I have played other then a Diamana WhiteBoard. It is the only sub70 gram shaft that I have been willing to game in my life, USPG Black Ops might be the other one have to get the LT and Black Ops on the LM see which one marginally comes out better in numbers. I have shot my best nine hole score in my life trusting this shaft off the tee, a 3 under 33 from the tips at my home club for a differential of a +2.9 on the 9 holes. It flat out preforms the way you expect it to even though it is a sub70 gram shaft.

I have never had one balloon, it is very workable shaft, I can easily control trajectory without much trouble. The last and fun test that I have for all driver shafts is hitting them from the deck and seeing what trajectory and shot shape it has. This one comes off about 6foot high with a 5 to 10 yard cut, not a bad shot if you need a long one into the wind on a par 5.

I never have had the head flip on me ever, I have never seen a single drive balloon into the wind, I have never had an issue when swinging well controlling shot shape and trajectory. I use this shaft to compare all other sub70 gram shafts that I test against, I see this baby as the bench mark for performance.

RT Technologies Zeus (75g)

I have only just started playing this shaft and so far I am happy with it. It is not a sub70g shaft OI like the additional weight and feel of the shaft. This I can say is closer to a direct replacement to the Diamana WhiteBoard 73x that I used to play, profiles are different but both are smooth and very playable shafts.

The shaft I have in the All Silver 75g Zeus is actually labeled "Stiff", what a guy that swings 112-114 at 80% plays a Stiff no way!? Yea well gentlemen the raw CPM on this "stiff" happened to be 274CPM, I hardly call that a "stiff" in a traditional since of the word. The shaft plays AT LEAST 1/2 Flex to a Full Flex firmer then the label but still remains more playable then you might expect. The X-Stiff I could have bought was sitting at a 278 raw but the tip and mid sections would be different and a lot stiffer in the X-Stiff then it would be in the Stiff. If you are looking at getting one of these shafts unless you are over a 120mph SS do not buy a X-Stiff you want to probably get a custom ordered CPM in a Stiff, I think that is what happened to me when I ordered mine, my words were "I like the Zeus LT feel" get me a 75g shaft that plays about the same as that.

This shaft has quickly become the bench mark along with the Diamana WB in 70 series weighted Driver shafts in terms of performance that I use to compare other shafts to this baby. I have 100% confidence in this thing. Let me give you and example of a shot that I hit last time I played the 75g Zeus. I picked out this little bird feeder looking post that was probably 370 yards out, hole is a slight dog leg right par 5 number 7 at Duke (http://www.golf.duke.edu/z2hole07.html) I visualized a shot that started high and baby cut from the left side to the right into the center of the fairway (near where those two big trees are drawn in the hole picture on the left was my start line), I lined up to that aim point, took my swing and flat SMOKED it. The ball went high and started to leak right perfectly as I envisioned the shot. I looked at where impact was because it felt beautiful, There was a ball imprint that was the size of a 50cent piece, every dimple imprinted into the black face and dead on the sweet spot. I think I about wet myself on how good that shot was, it was flat amazing I impressed myself on that one. It is rare when a ball does exactly what you picture, that was one of those moments.

RT Technologies Zeus (85g)

It is my fairway metal so now we are talking about different expectations in a shaft on spin, trajectory, workability, etc. I played a Diamana WB 73x in my fairway for awhile, I have played a lot of "made for" shafts in the fairway, by far this shaft is a fu**king beast in the fairway metal I play. If distance is your thing my record long 4metal 16.5* is a 303yarder off a tee. I average 260 on the deck and about 265 to 270 off a tee. When I hit this thing well people jaw drop at how busted and big the hits are I regularly hit this club as long as other peoples drivers from the same tee.

If control is your thing, I have 100% workability of fades and draws, I have 100% trajectory control as well. I can hit the stinger without ballooning it, I can hit the high ball without getting wild. I can hit a big hook, I can hit a big slice on command. The shaft has preformed under everything I can think to throw at it. I can't seem to make this thing not do what I want it to when swinging well. I know this sounds extremely bias, because it is, by far it is the best fairway shaft that I have played in my life, completely blows me away every time I pure one.

RT Technologies Midas

This is a sexy hybrid shaft, I don't have too many hybrid shafts under my belt, I had a Ping G5 19* with a Alida NVS 95g Stiff in it back in college with played okay, I think I would have loved the X-Stiff a lot more. After I got rid of the Ping G5 I played a 3iron that hit about as long as the Ping G5 so I had no need for it. Now that I have gotten older I have gone back to a Hybrid and Trusted the Midas based on what I knew from the Zeus LT and Zeus 85g I had been playing, I was not disappointed at all in the performance.

I have been able to place 240 yard shots on 20 yard wide greens it is a precession tool, I also use it off the tee in some cases down wind on short holes when even the 4metal is too long. I can work it with a cut, draw, high or low. I don't have them balloon on me when attempting to hit low into the wind. It is a shaft that provides me what I want in a hybrid, control and distance. I have had many of eagle attempts when i pure this club out at 235 to 240 to the green, off the tee hit really well and hard I can push this out to 245 or sometimes 250 total. From the deck I'm more worried about carry distance then total.

Here is a picture of my RT Technologies Family of shafts in my equipment.

From left to right: Midas, Zeus (85g), Zeus LT, Zeus (75g)

RT Technologies Distributor

I have been authorized to give this information out in public for the people on the forum that are looking for the RT Technologies shafts and can't find them locally. You can make contact with one of the RT Technologies distributors for purchasing needs. You won't have to buy in bulk, he'll sell one shaft if you want it.

Name: Jim Smiley

E-Mail: [email protected]

Title: RT Technologies Distributor / Certified Master fitter & builder

I'll turn it over to the readers for questions or comments at this point, I really don't have anymore words to describe the RT Technologies shafts, even though "Nano Technology" has been around for a long time it is done extremely well.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Wanted to add this for the people that have not read my other reviews.

My Resume

In college I played to a 1.1 handicap and played almost every day. I graduated from college in 2009 and well life got in the way like most people around here, only being able to play 1 time maybe 2 times a month at most my handicap climbed to a 9 roughly. I since moved and got a different job that allows me more time to golf. I started this season as a 9 handicap and currently hold a 4.6 from the tips at my home course. My next revision is looking like it will be somewhere around a 3.5. You can look up my handicap and scores by clicking the link titled "Carolinas Golf Association" in my signature. My highest possible round lately is something like a 88 or 87 with three 3 putts and a couple PS included. My lowest 9 hole round of the season is a 3 under 33 for a +2.9 differential. I shot a 38 yesterday with a 3 putt bogey and a tee shot PS double bogey, two mistakes = 3 strokes over, made one birdie with a 8iron at 168 put to 6 feet on a par 3.

When I start talking about workability, shaft feel, my body positions to produce a shot, I think you can be assured that I am not just tossing around bulls*** statements to make myself feel better. I am old enough to realize that an ego in life just gets in the way of true progress and understanding of something. Hope that helps in some why think about my words and understanding of the performance of the shaft in my swing.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

:) Awesome write up on this information, especially from another NC native!

If you call living in NC for only 6 months now "native", I call it home now but wasn't really born here. I love it in the area though people are great in the south. Spent 2.5 years in Myrtle Beach before moving to NC, that's where I got introduced to RT Technologies was in SC.

As for the shafts, it's just a small company that not a lot of people have heard of, fewer have gotten their hands on the shafts easily. Hopefully RT will get a new live website up sooner then later, pretty sure the link I posted is a dead link, but has some information on the company.

LAUNCH MONITOR DATA

Personal Notes

In the interest of full disclosure, I wanted to mention that I am playing a 44.50" shaft. I am having minor right elbow issues some golfers elbow again, not bad however. My left foot would not stick to the mat it kept sliding and rotating towards the target, Reebok sneaker with smooth soles are not good for golf, at least in my swing. Not trying to make excuses for the numbers below just a full disclosed things that might have affected impact, swing speed, the general results.

I do plan to rework the LM in October roughly, next time I will be smart enough to wear some indoor golf shoes or even say screw it and walk in there with cleats on, I have a feeling that all my number were a tad low today. But believe whatever the heck you want to I know you will anyways.

Note I did start with the RT 75g because it was already in my driver, plus been playing it the most recently so probably got the best numbers off of it for a reason.

Launch Monitor

CG2 Foresight at Golf Smith

The Data (Zeus LT rough average)

Swing Speed ~ 110mph

Ball Speed ~ 159.4

Smash Factor ~ 1.449

Azimuth ~ -0.9

Side Spin ~ -111

Back Spin ~ 2282

Total Spin ~ 2285

Decent Angle ~ 42

Carry Distance ~ 285.33

Total Distance ~ 309.01

The Data (Zeus 75g rough average)

Swing Speed ~ 110mph

Ball Speed ~ 161.3

Smash Factor ~ 1.466

Azimuth ~ -2.3

Side Spin ~ -187

Back Spin ~ 2141

Total Spin ~ 2150

Decent Angle ~ 37

Carry Distance ~ 287.83

Total Distance ~ 312.53

RT Technologies Distributor

I have been authorized to give this information out in public for the people on the forum that are looking for the RT Technologies shafts and can't find them locally. You can make contact with one of the RT Technologies distributors for purchasing needs. You won't have to buy in bulk, he'll sell one shaft if you want it.

Name: Jim Smiley

E-Mail: [email protected]

Title: RT Technologies Distributor / Certified Master fitter & builder

• 3 months later...

Blog Review of these shafts posted on MGS finally... http://www.mygolfspy.com/zeus-lt-shaft-review/

Archived