What Are The Best Irons In Golf?

GolfSpy_APH

I had purchased new Big Bertha irons back in 2016 and really enjoyed playing them - crisp sound, forgiving and much longer than the old ones I had used.  This past year I decided to upgrade to Mizuno JPX Hot Metal.  Unbelievable sound, distance and launch.  These are outstanding and I would never have given them a try before.  The Mizuno irons process at their factory is amazing and how they can get the face so thin and strong for solid LONG shots is remarkable.

Play in two leagues, plus other days and always trying to improve.

For me it’s my current set of Cobra Forged Tec irons. Feel so good, really forgiving, good distance and I think they look fantasticIMG_0826.webp.f7ce248bf928633e709362157fba080d.webp

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

I don't know that they are the best for everyone but the irons I hit the best were my high school set of Wilson Deep Reds they just fit my swing so well at that time in my life I hit the 3 Iron farther than my driver most days.  Honestly, more recently I have improved the driver game but lost some of my ability to hit my irons but have been trying to find my balance and improving over the last year.

Patrick Dawes

On 10/16/2024 at 5:33 AM, IndyBonzo said:

My current Maltby TS1 short irons (8-G) are the most accurate I have ever had.

IMG_6554.jpeg.8308d76585d6aad3cb56255bf413ca39.jpeg

The Apex II are the sweetest to hit I have ever played.  Buttery

I love the look of the maltbys!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, PXG 0311 P Gen 7 irons (4-GW), 54&58 degree Sub70 246 wedges, Tommy Armour #2 wide blade putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

I have to say that the Srixon irons have really been enjoyable to play.  I've had a couple different sets, including the ZX7MKII and the ZX5 but my favorite of them all is still the Z545 from 2016.  I still bag the Z545 with Modus 120 S shafts.  There is just something about the look of these clubs at address and then the feel of a well struck shot that is just unbeatable.

WITB

Driver- Ping G430 LST 10.5*- Ventus Blue 6S Velocore

2 Wd-TM Burner Mini Driver 13.5*- Hzrduz RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

4 Wd-TM Sim 2 Max 16.5* - Hzrduz RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

Hybrid- TM Sim 2 19* -Hzrduz RDX Smoke Black 80  6.0

Irons- Srixon Z545 5-PW Modus Tour 120s

Wedges- Callaway MD5- 49, 53, 57

Putter- Odyssey 2Ball Ten Broomstick 41"

I have 2:

• Ping Eye 2 BeCu with titanium shafts
  • Nike VrII blades.  

They’re polar opposites when it comes to concept, and they’re meant to play with different generations of balls entirely… but both were clubs that generated a lot of confidence through consistent flight and feel… and every guy that walked by had to take a second look in your bag. 

Nike keeps returning to my starting lineup no matter what else I try  

The Pings would still be fun to play, although you’d just have to get over tee box envy—you’ll pull a 6 iron, which is everybody else’s 8 iron. But you can pull out a 2 iron and rip it (like others’ 4 irons) and watch jaws drop. 

David S.

Still gaming the original Titleist AP2s.  They are the complete package and I haven’t hit another iron since I bought them in like 2008.  

Titleist TSR4 Driver

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Mizuno 2 iron

Original Titleist AP2

Vokey Wedges

Seemore mallet putter 

Driver - Titleist TSi3 - 9°

Fairway Woods -  Titleist 980F's 15° , 19°

Irons - Takomo 101T's 4 - PW

Wedges - Cobra MIM 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter - Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

With the exception of the Taylor Made Tour preferred blades I played in high school, the Takomo's are the best irons I have ever owned based on feel, consistency, distance, and workability. I have tried a lot of other brands including Callaway, PXG, and Cleveland's but I really am loving my current setup. At a price point of about half of what the larger manufacturer's price point, they're a no brainer for me.

The best irons I’ve played to date are the Callaway AI200. Prior I was playing the 2021 Apex, which were also good. My miss tends to be off the toe and the AI200 do a good job of being solid even on miss hits. I’m a Callaway guy so I’m a bit biased and it would be hard for me to jump ship for another brand. However, if I ever did jump the MK ZX7 would be a the reason why. Those irons have to be the prettiest irons ever created. Bonus points for the charcoal finish and black shafts 🔥. Srixon has really been killing it in the iron game. 

-Chase 

My first choice would be my current set Mizuno MP-64’s.  They have served me well for about 9/10 years.  Before that set I had another fantastic set, Titleist 990’s.  I shot some of my best rounds with that set including a 69 (par for course).  Also, these helped my team and I to a solid second place in a Best Ball Tournament with a combined 64 (-8 under). Age and money made the change to the Mizunos.  At the time I would have had to pay about $75.00 a club to reshaft the 990’s and I would have taken the 2i and 3i’s out of the mix.  All that said I have tried the new Mizuno 245’s and I am really considering taking the plunge!

WIMyB

Nike Vapor Fly driver 

Nike Covert Tour 3Wood

Titleist 913 5Wood

Titleist 915 7Wood

Mizuno MP-64 4i-PW

Mizuno T-4 50 and 54 Wedges

Callaway Mack Daddy forged 58

Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide

Taylormade RAC TP. Couldn't hit them, but was my first set I "played" with in 2005. Wish I still had them. Can't say they were the best, I think Ping Eye 2 takes that crown, but the new P7CBs definitely look inspired by them. 

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver; Graphite Design Tour AD VF-6 S / UB-6 S

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 3HL 16.5: Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

default_ping-small.jpg G430 7w: Ping Chrome 75 S. Set to 20*

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg TSR2 5H: Project X HZRDS Red 85 S. Set to 23*

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png 0211 DC 5-G: KBS TGI 80 S

Cleveland.jpg.b864b0bf721691b75cd50b9ee634890e.jpg.b6dc20b7fb31f49c6385d2e9299c52ec.jpg CBX 54: Rotex Wedge; CBX2 Zipcore 58: Project X Catalyst Spinner 80 

Screenshot2024-06-20102640.png.8ddd17fe8171208d828937758e6ebd54.png M.Craft OMOI Type 06

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg  ProV1x ; Linksmaster Bag

I’m a gear junky and love changing up the bag but I finally found irons that aren’t leaving….

Cobra King Tour irons are incredible and id say the best irons you can play. I don’t believe a lot people haven’t hit them. They sit with the Titleist T150 and are very similar in design/size (IMO). They provided better balls speed, couple 100 more rpm of spin, and were more consistent than the T150 and T100 in testing for me. 
I have played titleist T100, Srixon ZX7 mkii, and others in that player & player distance category. But the consistency and reliability I get from the Cobra King Tours are unmatched. 
Current set up on my irons is King Tour one degree week (33 degree 7 iron) and one degree flat. Using modus 120 Xstiff shafts. With Lampkin Crossline oversized grips. 
Cobra also just released the King Tours in black finish and they look sweet!

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X Woods: Ping G425 Irons: srixon zx7 mkii wedges: Vokey Sm9

I've only had maybe 4 sets in my life, but the Callaway Apex irons I currently use are a nice combination of good looks, thinner look, and pretty good results.

Dave Mueller

On 10/16/2024 at 5:26 AM, Josh Parker said:

For irons that I have owned.... dang that's a tough one.

Either my wilson deep red tours (they were my first set)

17290743319828831343599969098872.jpg.037c355efe333de04a67c8fb3ec00fe8.jpg

Or

Mizuno mp32s

1729074362696700670766042596639.jpg.bfd13e37a9a7413a87147a0e54b982f7.jpg

The MP-32's are absolutely amazing and I love when that picture of them gets posted, because that is the Luke Donald special sole grind model. Still the only set I have ever seen, but that 7-iron picture gets posted ALOT

So I played Mizuno MP-14's from 1996-2008, to the point the wedge & 8-iron were completely worn out on the face, and wow could I catch some flyers, but I didnt think anything felt or performed as good as they did, so I just kept playing them. In 2008 I switched to MP-32's and felt they were a very nice change from the MP-14's but still i think the 14's had a softer feel and I liked the 14 long irons better. I actually played a mixed set of the 32' 6-W and the 14's 3-5 for a handful of years. I truly never thought I would go away from those Mizuno's and then this summer I tried Srixon ZX-7 MKii's and WOW they are so soft, set up absolutely perfect, very forgiving (for a players club) and just amazing irons. I truly cannot imagine anything on the market being better than this irons right now. If you havent tried them and you like buttery soft forged clubs, definitely do yourself a favor and try them out.

For me personally, it’s been the P790’s. I played blades or a CB/MB combo set until I got them. Had lost a pretty decent amount of distance after my most recent back surgery, and the 790’s allowed me to get that back, and more. I can still work the ball as much as I need to, but also don’t feel like I need to really get into one off the tee to be in a good position anymore. 

Was on staff with TaylorMade when I worked in the golf business, and still haven’t gotten away from them. 
Stealth 2+ 9* Driver, P790 2, 4-P, MG2 50,54,58, and Spider putter

The obvious is whatever irons you can hit the best. 😃

Personally, I am a huge fan of Miura and went on a huge Miura kick over the last year. I have every set from the 100s to the 700s, and how they play is just unreal. I have only been playing for about a year and a half, and so the CB-302s were in my bag because they fit my game the best. Admittedly, you must be a better golfer than I am currently to play the MB-101s or the KM-701s effectively. The CB-302s strike a perfect balance between feel, control, and distance. 

That said, I was completely caught off guard when a club pro put a Ping Blueprint S 3 iron in my hand. It had the same feel as Miura, but it just felt like the shots were softer. This is subjective, but for the first 20 shots, my reaction was, "Wow! Did I even hit that!?" So I have the Blueprint Ts and Ss and am playing the Blueprint Ss right now. 

There are so many great clubs! How do you choose!? I think a great golfer can make any good iron play awesome. The one takeaway I would say is that forged irons make a huge difference as your game progresses. I see that being the one constant as I continue to tinker. 

IMG_3127.jpeg

IMG_3124.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

Tough question…. I can tell you which irons have stayed the longest in my bag though: Cobra MIM Tour Irons. Maybe it’s the KBS $-Taper shafts. Maybe it’s the MIM technology. I love the lack of offset, the feel, the forgiveness. I think they are one of the most underrated irons to come out in the last few years. 

Honourable Mentions: I loved a set of Ben Hogan Apex irons I had but could not hit them consistently well enough. They were possibly the best feeling irons I’ve ever hit. Srixon ZX7s were also fantastic - soft, really nice turf interaction but I got bored of them. 

I've played golf for over 60 years, and as an admitted "clubohalic," I've changed irons WAY too many times for my own good.   But looking back, the best sets I've ever had were: 1) the original Hogan Apexes, 2) Ping i5's,  3) the original Maltby M05's, and now 4) Maltby PTM's.    Can't begin to guess how many sets I've gone through trying to find the "perfect clubs," but I know that I've lived to regret several of my swaps, and now at the age of 79, I've pretty much resolved to stick with the PTM's and simply reshaft them with lighter and/or more flexible shafts when I feel that I'm losing distance and consistency.   Let's face it....at my age, I'm happy to just be playing, shooting my age some of the time, and I realize that as long as the clubs fit my specs, one is just as good as the other!

Edited by Fatshot

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

On 10/16/2024 at 9:23 AM, michaels said:

Titleist T150 and Mizuno Pros would be my top picks. Miuras are also elite, but not sure worth the price. So many good options now. Get fit and see what feels good!

The secret to picking up Miuras is to be patient and do it on a secondary market such as eBay. If the stars align, you would be surprised to find out what you can pick up a full set for! 

And +1 on the Mizunos. Something about Japanese forged iron is just magical. 

17 minutes ago, simpulton said:

IMG_3127.jpeg

IMG_3124.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

Now that is a collection! 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Current Setup:

Driver: TSR2

Fairway Wood: Burner 3 Wood

Hybrid: Cleveland 18°

Irons: 2020 T200 (5-P) with KBS Tour 130g shafts

Wedges: Vokey (48°, 52°, 56°)

Putter: Cleveland Classic 2

I picked up the T200 irons this spring, and the KBS Tour shafts (130g) have made a noticeable difference in my swing. Coming from a baseball background, the feel and feedback from the shaft grain really help me stay connected with the club through impact. I’m really enjoying the T200s.

When I went for a fitting, I tried the Ping G430s and felt like I hit them slightly better, but we all know how those simulators can make you feel dialed in. Ultimately, I’m sticking with the T200s for the next season.

Right now, I’m in the market for a 3-wood, 5-wood, and possibly another hybrid. My irons max out at the 5-iron, so I’m looking to fill that gap in the top of my bag for better distance gapping between my clubs. 

Spam me with your best Bags as well! 

image.jpg

Edited by jmkeith02

J Keith 

My favorite set I’ve ever used were the 2011 Taylormade MC irons and close behind those were the RSI 2’s.  I loved the look of the MC and the feel.  First irons I broke 80 with.  Never should’ve sold them.  I’ve been testing the Edel SMS 7 iron since they had a program to try a club out.  I like the look, feel and sound of it.  It performs incredibly well.  Do I have Christmas for my kids this year or drop $1250-1500 on a new Edel set??  Haha.  

The best irons?  That's like asking "what's the best car?" to an audience that includes a 70-year-old media mogul who loves being driving around, a middle-class family of 6, a newly graduated alumna of Wellesley starting her first job in Boston, and a divorced, middle-aged guy looking to recapture his mojo.  You're going to get a multiplicity of answers, and I'm sure mine will add to it.

I'm going to split my answer and identify two sets I've played with.  First, as I was starting to really get into the game, to take lessons to improve my 25 'cap, I had my golf pro fit me for clubs (a first!).  I ended up with a set of TaylorMade Burner irons with stiff graphite shafts.  They were great irons...great distance and forgiveness and a decent feel to them (compared to my previous clubs which were too short for me, as it turns out).  I played them for 10 years, and a combination of the lessons, playing more, and having those clubs worked to drop my handicap to around a 10.  Though, sadly, never a single digit.  Alas.

The second answer is the set I'm playing right now, Mizuno MP223s with Modus extra stiff shafts.  The feel of these Mizunos is amazing (it's my second set of Mizunos).  They're not quite as forgiving as the Burners, but I don't expect them to be.  But when I hit them just right, the feeling is off the charts.  I don't hit the ball quite as far as my Burners, but the consistency of distance is far superior. 

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

I have a saying. “If it’s free, it’s for me.” While not entirely free, a coworker of mine offered me a can’t pass up deal on a set of Titleist AP1’s. These clubs were brand new having only played a few rounds with. Already having an aged, outdated set it was a worthy upgrade for me. I’ve also never swung anything other than this set and my previous so I don’t have much to go off. But, for the little money I have invested into a functional working set of clubs, the AP1’s are the best clubs for me. 

Just wanting to enjoy the game as much as possible