Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Diamondback Golf Club - Abilene, Texas

PlaidJacket

This past weekend me and a buddy played Diamondback Golf Club in Abilene, Texas. Wow! Talk about a nice golf course. You can look it up on the web if you'd like to read more about it. Diamondback is designed, owned and operated by 1971 Masters Champion Charles Coody. That year Charles bested Johnny Miller and Jack Nicklaus by two strokes. Charles had a nice career on the regular PGA Tour and Champions Tour before retiring. As luck would have it Mr. Coody was at the course the morning of our first round. I was warming up on the practice tee and spotted him setting out some ball buckets. I walked over and introduced myself and had a short visit. I asked if he'd mind signing a scorecard for me which he happily obliged. He couldn't have been more gracious. A short time later he pulled up in his cart and engaged us with more friendly golf chatter and thanked us for coming out. I invited him to join us but he had to get home and prepare to leave for Minneapolis the next day for some promotion work in conjunction with the upcoming 3M Championship.

The course is a really nice one. It's a golf club so no fancy club house. Just a small modest pro shop and even smaller walkup window for beverages and hotdogs, etc. I liked it. In addition to the range there is a nice putting green and a separate bunker, chipping/pitching area green. The course was in top condition and mowed/groomed nicely. Tee to green the course is well taken care of. The tees and fairways are of some type of Bermuda I think. Closely mowed. The bent greens were all great and putted quickly and true. What I enjoyed about Diamondback is that it's a fun "playable" layout and design. Challenging yes. Tricked out? No. Just well designed. The terrain the course is built on is rolling with a couple of creeks cress-crossing here and there and a few ponds around. Bunkers were all well placed. The course is presented right in front of you. There are a wide variety of shots or play and strategy to consider. Most driving holes required some thought due to gently sloping fairways or strategic bunker placements.The greens all putted well with varying degrees of break and false fronts, etc. I'd guess while we played the course the greens were stimping around 10?

I found the course to be outstanding. All personnel we encountered were friendly and helpful. Green fees were reasonable in the $40-$50 range depending on time of play. If you are anywhere in the area you owe it to yourself to go play Diamondback. It's more than worth it to make a weekend out of it if you're more than a few hours away. We did and I'll be going back soon.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Nice write up PJ. I for one would like to see more mini-reviews like this one. I don't travel as much as I used to, but you never know when you might be in an area where MGS reviews were posted. Good job!

And congrats on meeting one of the legends of golf!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks Plaid,   what was the cost?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a fun course to play. If I'm in the area I'll give it a look, but right now that's a 3 hour drive from here. You ever played any of the courses in the Waco area? Got some pretty courses here for a decent price and plenty of good Texas barbecue for afterwards.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Never had the opportunity to play the Waco area. But I'd like to. I've looked online at a couple courses before. It's just not an area of Texas I frequent...or very often.

However, me and 3 other guys are heading back to Diamondback in a few weeks. Should be a good match.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived