Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Dilemma

revkev

I played with a good friend today at a local country club. He's interested in joining and brought me along with. I had played the course twice prior and loved it. It's a Fazio course so really what's not to love.

After the round we listened to the membership talk. I tried to see if they had a clergy special which they don't so that knocked me out, too rich for my blood. We got in the car and my friend says, "You, Gary and I will talk next week when he's here but he and I are thinking of getting two memberships and putting one in your name. That's why I kept asking about guest fees. If we did that I would subsidize your membership and it would cost you x."

X is right around what I pay a month for golf but this membership has full range, social and fitness club privileges not only for me but also for my family. Another words it's a great deal and with the use of the range I would pay less for golf than I do now for membership at a Fazio course.

So here's the issue. I'd have to quit my league and I would only get to play other courses when traveling.

It's a great course with tremendous amenities. I'm leaning towards doing it. Any thoughts?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Take it - sounds great and a very generous offer indeed.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I've been kicking around the idea of joining my local country club for a while now but I agree with Bones here. I would love to have a membership somewhere but I enjoy playing different courses too much. I probably spend more money playing all over the place but I definitely couldn't afford to do both. It sounds like a great offer and I can't speak to the benefits of being a member somewhere but ultimately I would have to go with my gut feeling. Family included.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I've been a member of a club before. It was an okay course but I loved the guys and the daily games that I could play in. This course is a great course. It's every bit the equal of TPC Tampa or World Woods and it has several former PGA and a couple of current LPGA members including Brittany. It's a players course beyond a doubt.

The real issues for me are leaving my league and the fact that it's not convenient to my work. It's only 15 minutes from my house but half an hour plus from church. There would be little to no benefit practicing on the green at the course near church as the grasses are radically different. I love my league and the people in it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My 2 cents - it's a social game.  Why do you play golf?  You'll no doubt meet some new people at the new club and would most likely have no trouble fitting in. But what's important to you?  The price helps - and it's a generous offer from a valued friend.  Comes down to where do you think you'd have the most fun?  Would your family take advantage of the amenities?   

Played at one course exclusively last year but spread it around this year - from a golf standpoint spreading it around was better for my game - and more fun, too.

Key on fun...that'll help you decide.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It sounds like a great deal for the family.  I would think that you could have friends over to play on this course and you can have rounds with them at your old course.  League would be out, but you won't lose touch with friends.  How would the friend who made the offer react to a pass?  Does that matter?  

Many clubs that I have played in Florida have reciprocal arrangement with other clubs, particularly in the summer.  Would you have access to playing other clubs for next to nothing?  That would swing it for me, as like others have posted, I like to play different courses too.  

I am sure you will make the right choice for the best reasons.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Being 14, I cannot speak to you about the money in this situation, but all I can say is how much practicing at my club has helped my game.  When I was 12, my parents told me that if you show that you are really serious about this game, then we will find you a place to practice.  My parents did not feel comfortable leaving me at the local public course, and in the DC area, there really are no accessible public courses with a decent range or putting green, so my parents joined a golf club in maryland.  This course has an amazing chipping area and a great range, and it has helped my game so much being able to practice there all of the time.  This course being very hard, has also helped me do well in my tournaments because now the courses that I play in tournaments feel super easy.  This club is strictly a golf club.  There are no extra amenities like fitness or a swimming pool, we never eat dinner there due to the price, and my dad comes out maybe once a month at most to play with me.  Maybe you are looking for those extra amenities, but all I can say is that it has really helped my game.

So I guess I am saying that you won't regret joining the club, and you can always bring your league friends out to play with you. 

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Being 14, I cannot speak to you about the money in this situation, but all I can say is how much practicing at my club has helped my game.  When I was 12, my parents told me that if you show that you are really serious about this game, then we will find you a place to practice.  My parents did not feel comfortable leaving me at the local public course, and in the DC area, there really are no accessible public courses with a decent range or putting green, so my parents joined a golf club in maryland.  This course has an amazing chipping area and a great range, and it has helped my game so much being able to practice there all of the time.  This course being very hard, has also helped me do well in my tournaments because now the courses that I play in tournaments feel super easy.  This club is strictly a golf club.  There are no extra amenities like fitness or a swimming pool, we never eat dinner there due to the price, and my dad comes out maybe once a month at most to play with me.  Maybe you are looking for those extra amenities, but all I can say is that it has really helped my game.

So I guess I am saying that you won't regret joining the club, and you can always bring your league friends out to play with you.

I've got to tell you that this is wise advice from such a young person. Thanks! The short game area is too cool, you can replicate any situation you might face around the green on a southern golf course.

I agree with all of the points being made by JPC plus guest rates are very inexpensive so that whenever one of you comes to visit we can go play.

I understand the desire to play different courses but I've played the ones that I want in my area with one exception and if that possibility comes I could justify it. This course will travel very well. The rating/slope from the tees that I would normally play (a combo set) is 72.8/130. If I wanted a bit more difficult I could go all blue and get up to 73.5/136. I would never play the tips, I don't even know if Brittany plays the tips on this one but she might. It requires great accuracy off the tee in places, discipline on a couple of the long par 4's and courage on the last par 3 if you are on the bridge side of the tee. (Don't ask) There are some nice risk reward options even for a moderate hitter like me. It's a tougher test than half of the tour courses I've played and it's always in great shape.

So if my roommates decide to do it, I'm in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've got to tell you that this is wise advice from such a young person. Thanks! The short game area is too cool, you can replicate any situation you might face around the green on a southern golf course.

I agree with all of the points being made by JPC plus guest rates are very inexpensive so that whenever one of you comes to visit we can go play.

I understand the desire to play different courses but I've played the ones that I want in my area with one exception and if that possibility comes I could justify it. This course will travel very well. The rating/slope from the tees that I would normally play (a combo set) is 72.8/130. If I wanted a bit more difficult I could go all blue and get up to 73.5/136. I would never play the tips, I don't even know if Brittany plays the tips on this one but she might. It requires great accuracy off the tee in places, discipline on a couple of the long par 4's and courage on the last par 3 if you are on the bridge side of the tee. (Don't ask) There are some nice risk reward options even for a moderate hitter like me. It's a tougher test than half of the tour courses I've played and it's always in great shape.

So if my roommates decide to do it, I'm in.

Thank you Revkev.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Archived