PlaidJacket

Golf Really is Cheap

Our Sponsors

Damn and people complain that golf is too expensive in the US :D

I pay about $2500 for yearly membership, that's just the right to play. No balls, no carts and you pay about $15 extra for each competitive round/tournament.

The club I'm joining in 2017 has hosted several BMW and Deutsche Bank Championships (Europe), Honda Open, SAP Open, etc...

Too bad I hadn't started playing golf when Tiger teed it up there.

It's a pretty nice 27 hole course. Here is the link if you are interested:

https://www.gutkaden.de/en/golf/direction.html

EDIT: distances are in meters, not yards :)

• Like 1

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 9* w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 65 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // ShotScope V1 // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

There's been an expansion of "Great Life Golf & Fitness" in South Dakota, and now that 3 out of 4 of my local courses (within 20 miles) have been added, I'm dropping my $1800 annual CC fees and joining Great Life next year. They've got 22 area golf course + a number of fitness centers, all inclusive packages + recipricol memberships for courses in MN, IA, NE, MO & KS.

Course quality varies from small town 9 hole munis to what were formerly some of the nicer local country clubs. Hoping to start my golf season early by driving south on I-29 to play in MO & KS a few weeks before the local courses open for play, as well.

Single $59.99/MONTH

Single + Unlimited Cart* $109.99/mo

Couples $69.99/MONTH

Couples + Unlimited Cart* $134.99/mo

Family $79.99/MONTH

Family + Unlimited Cart* $159.99/mo

http://joingreatlife.com/golf/

holy crap..that's cheaper then two rounds for us in Canada ...if they did that here they would probably make way more money..one can only dream.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

Damn and people complain that golf is too expensive in the US :D

I pay about $2500 for yearly membership, that's just the right to play. No balls, no carts and you pay about $15 extra for each competitive round/tournament.

The club I'm joining in 2017 has hosted several BMW and Deutsche Bank Championships (Europe), Honda Open, SAP Open, etc...

Too bad I hadn't started playing golf when Tiger teed it up there.

It's a pretty nice 27 hole course. Here is the link if you are interested:

https://www.gutkaden.de/en/golf/direction.html

Nice course.  Watched the video.  Silly me... I thought the island green was a par 3!!!    :)

• Like 1

Aging sucks...  Are you tough enough to get old?

Nice course. Watched the video. Silly me... I thought the island green was a par 3!!! :)

I still haven't memorized the course layout :D

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I still haven't memorized the course layout :D

C9- Course Yellow

• Like 1

C9- Course Yellow

Ah! That's a nice hole... just note that distance are in meters, not yards :)

I think B9 is also an island green.

• Like 1

That is my membership! (I'm in Kansas City)

If you are heading down, St. Joseph Country Club is worth the extra $30 to play. It's where I grew up and learned to play. Over 100 years old, white sand, and it's always perfect.

Liberty Hills Country Club is my home course, and it's very nice. Some others worth looking at are Drumm Farm, Staley Farms, Painted Hills, and Canyon Farms in the KC area.

If you head to Topeka, Lake Perry is a definite, as well as Shawnee Country Club and Berkshire.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

THANKS!!!

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

Golf can be co$tly on Long Island... some deals can be found, if you're flexible about when .. eg. Twilight .. and where .. eg. how far you're willing to drive each way ... but in general public and daily fee courses are busy (ie. slooow).

But Private clubs on LI are co$$tly .. starting at like $10-12k/yr and going into the $20s (or way more!). So that's not in the budget for me, plus I don't really consider myself a private club person ..... especially after seeing Caddyshack and Happy Madison years before I ever even started golfing ;-)

There are a few OK public 9 hole tracks for $15 nearby which is where I usually play. Yeah they're shorter but you get to use almost all your irons and wedges.

There are also a few nice 18 hole layouts nearby which are not quite "championship", but they have good challenges and are well-maintained; $30 - $70 depending on season and time and residency status (county or town).

To save some money and to help out and to also sorta have a place to go to, I volunteer one day a week at the 9-hole course at a nearby VA, and they let you play once every day for free. Problem is.. this course has gotten quite popular with - dare I say - 'older' people and with beginners and with kids, too, so during the season it can take a loooooong w-h-i-l-e to play..........

There is one deal I've found, thru a local mag, for $39 you get a certificate for the greens fees at several area courses. You also have to pay the cart fee at each, even if you walk, and a few are mandatory carts, which is usually $20 - so overall not bad. You get to play courses you might not normally go to - and for much cheaper - but you may have to drive an hour each way.

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...

Cobra King F8 (Tensei CK Blue) or maybe EXS 220 (Ventus 4T Core)
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR) and/or EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
Callaway Apex CF16 6i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

...all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

I've been playing what was a premier course (Williamsburg National Yorktown & Jamestown courses)for a long time but, this summer they lost a few greens and a little trouble with the rest. But, if you just like to play to practice your ball striking and just take a 2 putt once on the green it is great.  We've been getting 18 holes and a cart for as little as $10 on golf now. 

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Golf can be co$tly on Long Island... some deals can be found, if you're flexible about when .. eg. Twilight .. and where .. eg. how far you're willing to drive each way ... but in general public and daily fee courses are busy (ie. slooow).

But Private clubs on LI are co$$tly .. starting at like $10-12k/yr and going into the $20s (or way more!). So that's not in the budget for me, plus I don't really consider myself a private club person ..... especially after seeing Caddyshack and Happy Madison years before I ever even started golfing ;-)

There are a few OK public 9 hole tracks for $15 nearby which is where I usually play. Yeah they're shorter but you get to use almost all your irons and wedges.

There are also a few nice 18 hole layouts nearby which are not quite "championship", but they have good challenges and are well-maintained; $30 - $70 depending on season and time and residency status (county or town).

To save some money and to help out and to also sorta have a place to go to, I volunteer one day a week at the 9-hole course at a nearby VA, and they let you play once every day for free. Problem is.. this course has gotten quite popular with - dare I say - 'older' people and with beginners and with kids, too, so during the season it can take a loooooong w-h-i-l-e to play..........

There is one deal I've found, thru a local mag, for $39 you get a certificate for the greens fees at several area courses. You also have to pay the cart fee at each, even if you walk, and a few are mandatory carts, which is usually $20 - so overall not bad. You get to play courses you might not normally go to - and for much cheaper - but you may have to drive an hour each way.

I've only played once on LI, a long time ago.  Don't remember the course; somewhere near Brookhaven. I remember it was fall and it was cold, and it was relatively cheap.

• Like 1

Up in the Twin Cities they have a thing called Public Country Club, $55 a month 12 months a year, but I believe 16 courses are avaliable to play. Just pay cart if you don't want to walk. It would be a sweet deal if I still lived over there.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

My club has some of the best value golf going around. $A1420 a year, pretty much unlimited golf, competition fee of $8, but most members who have a few good rounds go close to breaking even.

The course is rated in Aust top 100, and improving all the time. To put it in perspective the club I was at in Melbourne is currently around $A2500 and nowhere near as good a course.

The fact that it is 5 minutes away makes it even better value.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

My favorite cheap course to play is Crane Creek in central Illinois. http://www.golfcranecreek.com/. I'm 50 miles away and have a membership. The 2017 membership cost me a whopping $775, which includes cart. Greens fee with cart average $25.00. The course is absolutely stunning and is one of the best layouts you will ever play. Bent grass greens and fairways. Great greens and an absolute beast from the tips at 7390. The last couple years play has been down and the budget was cut, but its is still very playable. You wont find this good of a course, at these prices, anywhere. If you are in the area, its a must play!

• Like 1

Jumbo Elliott

:taylormade-small:  Special Edition M1  Fujikura Speeder 661 Tour Spec

:taylormade-small: SLDR Fairway 3-15 metal Fujikura Speeder 77 Stiff

:taylormade-small:   Hybrids Rescue'09 2&4 Aldila RE*AX 65 Stiff

:mizuno-small:          JPX850 Forged KBS Tour 120 Stiff

:cleveland-small:       588'12 Chrome 65

:cameron-small:         â€‹10th Anniversary Select Newport 1.5 33"

MSP Donator