Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cure my chipping yips!

TSauer

I have Pelz's short game bible, but it's a little intimidating in size. I haven't even cracked it open yet.

You'd better get to it. I went one shot about a little more than half a book in a few nights but after that it's just sitting there. Same goes with several golf books I have. I tried to attack it all in one session(several days) then move on. If not I'd never get to it til I need help:)

u could use a iron to chip instead of a wedge, help u from chunking or u can take ur wedge and make a putting stroke. or u could grip to the end of your grips and stand very close to the ball where the heel of ur putter is off the ground and only the toe is touching and make a putting stroke. the ball will roll more towards the pin and won't check up if ur trying to get no check up. or if ur on the edge of the green jus use ur putter instead. the more u try and play smart golf. u could club up and take lil more of a half swing instead of using what u would and trying to attack the ball hard which can cost u if ur not smooth. for if i play smart golf i can score so much better vs trying to attack the ball as hard or fast as i can and still come up short or loose control either in the back or down swing. try and stay smooth and u will progress better then going for it and hope that it goes the way u want it too

A lot of players dig the leading edge into the ground or bounce it up into the ball because they have gone overboard with "hands forward/ ball back". Those golfers should get the hands and the ball much more neutral in the stance, open up a little and really get the feel for the flange or bounce riding along the ground through the shot. If you can feel the bounce thumping the ground under the ball the shot will come out cleanly. I like a little bit of play and release in the right wrist also to help vary trajectory and spin

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... I know this is modern thinking and Stan Utley, whom I really respect, is a big believer in neutral ball position and using the bounce. I started out using a 60* wedge for every shot around the green and figured once I became proficient with the LW I would learn to use all the other clubs. But I became very comfortable with using my 60* for every shot and I never progressed to other options. If I have a long chip with the entire green to work with I may use a lower lofted club on pristine greens and will use a hybrid on the fringe or just off on occasion, especially on a green sloping away for me. 

... I have tried using the bounce/neutral ball position with little success in controlling my distance. I also hit it fat too often, although the bounce stops any digging and I still get a decent chip. But in my old school opinion, hands ahead and ball just off the rear toe makes it almost impossible not to hit the top half of the ball first if you don't manipulate the clubbed. I am far more proficient with this method, although once in a blue moon I will hit a chip fat because I am concentrating on the result, not the technique and look up to see my eagle chip go 1 foot and still off the green LOL. I love the fact that there are different methods of chipping and someone should be able to find the one that works best for them. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... I know this is modern thinking and Stan Utley, whom I really respect, is a big believer in neutral ball position and using the bounce. I started out using a 60* wedge for every shot around the green and figured once I became proficient with the LW I would learn to use all the other clubs. But I became very comfortable with using my 60* for every shot and I never progressed to other options. If I have a long chip with the entire green to work with I may use a lower lofted club on pristine greens and will use a hybrid on the fringe or just off on occasion, especially on a green sloping away for me.

... I have tried using the bounce/neutral ball position with little success in controlling my distance. I also hit it fat too often, although the bounce stops any digging and I still get a decent chip. But in my old school opinion, hands ahead and ball just off the rear toe makes it almost impossible not to hit the top half of the ball first if you don't manipulate the clubbed. I am far more proficient with this method, although once in a blue moon I will hit a chip fat because I am concentrating on the result, not the technique and look up to see my eagle chip go 1 foot and still of the green LOL. I love the fact that there are different methods of chipping and someone should be able to find the one that works best for them.

Im totally on board with you, I was talking about that really exaggerated hands forward position where they stick it in the ground. I'm still forward a touch and a little more straight line than Utley, but he likes big arcs. And as I said I like a little more play in the right wrist than is probably fashionable

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Here's what helped me revamp my chipping stroke.

The club you choose is up to you. But close it waaaaay down. When you address the ball it will force you to move your hands way in front of the ball. Take a very short backswing (less than 6") and an equal followthru. You should be able to hit it solid, as you're not very far away on the backswing. It will roll out much more like a putt. But that will give you a base to work from. As you get more comfortable with that, you will naturally open the face a little more and swing a little longer. Your confidence in finding solid contact is the best way to recover your stroke.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived