Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway Optifit Hosel (on GBB Epic)

I recently acquired a "played 2 rounds" Great Big Bertha Epic through a trade deal (somehow the gentleman I traded wanted my nearly new 915D3) and am trying to get the settings figured out on the driver.  I have watched some videos and understand what everything on the hosel means, but I find it upsetting that they do not have a "Fade" option on it...only a draw setting for shot shape.  I have a natural draw on all of my clubs and had my 915 set up on the hosel as a fade and it really helped my accuracy of Center Line.  

I know the Epic has the perimeter weight but feel that if I slide that weight all the way to the "Fade" side on the club that it will cause the toe of the driver to roll over more often than not and create that dreaded "duck hook".  

I have a buddy who is the head golf fitter at a local-ish Austad's golf store but that is still 45 minutes away from me.  He got me all set up on my Titleist thanks to the new technology in their simulator and the card that Titleist sends out with their clubs to help with the fittings.

Anyone have any tips for me?

What's in my Bag:

:callaway-small: GBB Epic. 9.0°. 75g Rogue Max (X-Stiff) or  :adams-small: Speedline Super S. 9.5°. Matrix (X-Stiff)

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage II Tour 3 & 5 wood. 75g stock (X-stiff)

:mizuno-small:  MP-68. X100.

:mizuno-small:  MP-32 6 iron. (Right handed)

:cleveland-small:  Precision Forged 52° & 58° Wedges

:odyssey-small:  Prototype Black (35") #9 or  :ping-small: Ping Pal 2 (35")

:taylormade-small:  Project (a),  :taylormade-small: Penta, or  :titelist-small:  ProV1X

Why not just go out to the course and hit shots and adjust the settings until you dial it in. That's pretty much what I've done. Start with an extreme setting one way or the other and work backwards.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I recently acquired a "played 2 rounds" Great Big Bertha Epic through a trade deal (somehow the gentleman I traded wanted my nearly new 915D3) and am trying to get the settings figured out on the driver.  I have watched some videos and understand what everything on the hosel means, but I find it upsetting that they do not have a "Fade" option on it...only a draw setting for shot shape.  I have a natural draw on all of my clubs and had my 915 set up on the hosel as a fade and it really helped my accuracy of Center Line.  

I know the Epic has the perimeter weight but feel that if I slide that weight all the way to the "Fade" side on the club that it will cause the toe of the driver to roll over more often than not and create that dreaded "duck hook".  

I have a buddy who is the head golf fitter at a local-ish Austad's golf store but that is still 45 minutes away from me.  He got me all set up on my Titleist thanks to the new technology in their simulator and the card that Titleist sends out with their clubs to help with the fittings.

Anyone have any tips for me?

Moving the perimeter weighting to the fade setting moves more weight to the toe, meaning the toe part of the club will be heavier and thus lag behind (close slower) than the heel of the club, allowing the face to stay open longer and thus potentially lead to more of a fade (or in your case, less of a draw)

If I were you, I'd take the driver to the range and start with it set up with the weight in the middle and the adapter set up on N and S (Neutral Standard). If you feel that you are drawing it too much, try moving the weight out towards the toe and see how it affects the ball flight until you like what you are seeing. If the ball flight is too low or high, adjust the loft on the hosel adapter. Just match up -1 and +1 with the N or S on the dash line and then screw it back in. In pretty intuitive. You won't know your exact numbers but you can at least see what your ball flight looks like, which is sometime more helpful than a simulator anyway. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Thanks for the advice, I am planning to hit the range this evening and go through Trial and Error hoping to get it dialed in.  

Moving the perimeter weighting to the fade setting moves more weight to the toe, meaning the toe part of the club will be heavier and thus lag behind (close slower) than the heel of the club, allowing the face to stay open longer and thus potentially lead to more of a fade (or in your case, less of a draw)

Ahh, that makes sense then.  I never really have been a fan of any club that has anything moveable in the head and just dealt with the draw I have...but now that this technology has been tried and true for YEARS I guess I can stop playing the mind game.

What's in my Bag:

:callaway-small: GBB Epic. 9.0°. 75g Rogue Max (X-Stiff) or  :adams-small: Speedline Super S. 9.5°. Matrix (X-Stiff)

:taylormade-small:  Project (a),  :taylormade-small: Penta, or  :titelist-small:  ProV1X

Just wanted to report back and say I should have just tried that out before posting this stupid question on the forum...I guess you could say it was a noob post.

I went out last night with my dad to the range as I have been trying to help him get his swing back after losing 90lbs, and was able to hit my driver as well.  Set the driver all the way to fade and tightened it down (thanks @jlukes for the explanation of how the weight actually works).  Set the shaft to "N" and "S" and tee'd up the first ball.  Getting used to a new driver sometimes has some learning curve, at least for me.  First two balls were low-flying and drew hard to the right...probably 70 yards right of center line.  After that I was absolutely blown away at what this driver can do and how accurate it is.

I hit another 15 balls with it and, aside from how straight I was FINALLY hitting a driver, the only thing that may have me concerned is my ball flight is QUITE a bit lower on the 9.0° setting.  I will have to wait til I am out on the course and see if I can actually get roll-out from my drives.  My previous few drivers would hit, bounce, and roll maybe 10-15 yards.  with the way the ball was coming off last night, it absolutely cuts through the air (and will cut the wind, no doubt about it).  I was in absolute awe.  

The last ball I hit I was aiming at a dark red tree at the end of the driving range and I hit exactly on line with it.  It gave me a really good feeling about the next time I play.

Thanks again to everyone here who chimed in.  This forum has a wealth of knowledge and glad you all could share a bit of info with me while bearing with my noob-ness to these newer drivers.

What's in my Bag:

Glad we were able to help dude.  Hopefully this setup gives you exactly what you need on the course

Hoping so to.  Had to run to Golf Galaxy and get a midsize grip put on though.  Didn't realize how expensive grips (and installation) are now-a-days compared to 5-10 years ago

What's in my Bag:

Archived