Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Your game as you age

yungkory

I just read the blog post from today regarding Arccos' studies and it provoked some thought in me - do you guys think 60 year olds today will differ from 60 year olds 30 years from now?

We're fortunate to be getting older (I'm 31) in a time where we're making medical breakthroughs, and people are studying how to take care of our bodies better than, for instance, 30 years ago. Just look at the guys on tour, they exercise almost daily and are trying to stay physically fit - did guys do that 30 years ago? No disrespect to anyone from that era, not calling you fat slobs or anything, but I think as a general population we're more well-informed now and we have all of this tech surrounding us that just unfortunately wasn't there in the past.

I'm definitely interested and I hope Arccos keeps studying the data 30 years from now. I know for me personally, I'm doing things now (within reason) so that I can keep golfing when I'm 60, and hopefully still be able to have a chance to shoot a 79.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

It's a good question, I'm already in my 50's so I guess I'm in the older generation, but I know guys at my club that are playing to a pretty high level in their 60's and 70's that have had knee and hip replacements or major back surgery and something like that wouldn't have been possible 10 years ago, so it just stands to reason that medical technology combined with healthier living will add up to people playing at a high level much later in life.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Good questions. I'll be 71 in October. I shot 79 this morning in Florida from the white tees. I moved to the whites about a year ago from the blues which was voted on by our group where the age swing is 65 to 82. I know guys in their 80's here shooting their age consistently. Almost all the guys I know have some type of health problem but we have excellent health care.

There is a thread on "old guys shooting their age" on this site. Check it out it's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Feels like just another stat to compare your game to and get frustrated. I was keeping all of my club distances, and keeping track of my whole game on my phone. I've gotten away from it a little and started using a pen and paper. Much simpler and I'm not checking my phone on every shot. Trying to use what the course gives me. I was leaning heavily towards getting the arccoss system, but I am now thinking otherwise. When the make an affordable pocket trackman I will consider it. Just so I can see the different spin numbers with each shot/trajectory.

Feels like just another stat to compare your game to and get frustrated. I was keeping all of my club distances, and keeping track of my whole game on my phone. I've gotten away from it a little and started using a pen and paper. Much simpler and I'm not checking my phone on every shot. Trying to use what the course gives me. I was leaning heavily towards getting the arccoss system, but I am now thinking otherwise. When the make an affordable pocket trackman I will consider it. Just so I can see the different spin numbers with each shot/trajectory.

Pen, and Paper?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Pen, and Paper?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's an old guy term I think.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I didn't play golf at your age.  I took up the game as an activity because as I got into my 40's, I could see that I wasn't going to play volleyball and softball much longer.  I played competitively in both once a week, and I was still hurting by the time the next game came along.  Sure, medical breakthroughs are going to be wonders to behold 30 years from now, but it doesn't matter how well you take care of your body, you will have problems.  If you don't you are unique.  Some people will have great health well into their 80's, but most will have some form of pain to deal with.  It's called aging... it happens.  It seems like every year I have a new pain that I didn't have last year.  I'm 70 and I hurt most days.  Some days are better than others.  I've had one knee replaced and it's my best knee.  I have arthritic joints most places and degenerative disc disease in my lower back.  OK, I'm overweight, but when you feel the way I do, it's difficult to maintain the lifestyle to be a flat belly.  Isn't going to happen with me.  However, I got good enough this last year to shoot in the low 70's but I can also shoot in the high 80's depending on how I feel.  I'm just hoping that I will still feel like playing when I'm 80 71.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I didn't play golf at your age. I took up the game as an activity because as I got into my 40's, I could see that I wasn't going to play volleyball and softball much longer. I played competitively in both once a week, and I was still hurting by the time the next game came along. Sure, medical breakthroughs are going to be wonders to behold 30 years from now, but it doesn't matter how well you take care of your body, you will have problems. If you don't you are unique. Some people will have great health well into their 80's, but most will have some form of pain to deal with. It's called aging... it happens. It seems like every year I have a new pain that I didn't have last year. I'm 70 and I hurt most days. Some days are better than others. I've had one knee replaced and it's my best knee. I have arthritic joints most places and degenerative disc disease in my lower back. OK, I'm overweight, but when you feel the way I do, it's difficult to maintain the lifestyle to be a flat belly. Isn't going to happen with me. However, I got good enough this last year to shoot in the low 70's but I can also shoot in the high 80's depending on how I feel. I'm just hoping that I will still feel like playing when I'm 80 71.

Like U I have the "laundry list" of ailments. Knees, hips, back, shoulder etc. it's funny when the guys r together doctors, health care and current ailments are a main part of the discussion. Funny as hell! It's even more of a topic than politics and that's saying something with this bunch of old guys.

Rick

Left Hand, 

In 30 years we should have some sort of visual interface, and multiple chips in our brains to help health, detect problems, and probably judge distances, and increase everything in our visual spectrum, and memory. We will need weekly, if not daily updates just to keep up.  3d printed replacement limbs, organs.  We will be very different in 30 years, and 60 will seem young.  85 may seem like a young death by that time. 

Alot that I mentioned probably will happen before 30 years.  We will start to see some of that in 7-10 years.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

my father is now 65 and is hitting it just as far as he always as, about 210-220 yards off the tee. Not very long but with the tech in the drivers and irons he hasn't lost anything in distance over the years.

So hopefully that means once I get to around the same age in another 30 some years or so I will still be able to hit my driver 280, here's hoping anyways. As they say only time will tell.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

my father is now 65 and is hitting it just as far as he always as, about 210-220 yards off the tee. Not very long but with the tech in the drivers and irons he hasn't lost anything in distance over the years.

So hopefully that means once I get to around the same age in another 30 some years or so I will still be able to hit my driver 280, here's hoping anyways. As they say only time will tell.

I don't c many 70 year olds hitting it past 220 yards. That seems to be the number. 80+ year olds 200 yards seems to be the max. I'm sure there are guys that can bomb it past that number but from what I see in a retirement community that's what it is. There is always the "bomb" somebody might hit once per round. For me it might be once every 3 rounds.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Since turning 60 I have had 2 shoulder surgeries (each one) and a knee meniscus repair.  I have also lost about 20+ yards off the tee...I shortened my swing to improve it -- worked -- but only hit it about 230 now on a regular basis.  Have dialed back irons 10 yards -- 7 iron goes 150...

Biggest change has been in chipping around the green...have gone back to 8-9 irons instead of wedges.  Hands just don't have the steadiness they did earlier...

Such is life...

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

Since turning 60 I have had 2 shoulder surgeries (each one) and a knee meniscus repair. I have also lost about 20+ yards off the tee...I shortened my swing to improve it -- worked -- but only hit it about 230 now on a regular basis. Have dialed back irons 10 yards -- 7 iron goes 150...

Biggest change has been in chipping around the green...have gone back to 8-9 irons instead of wedges. Hands just don't have the steadiness they did earlier...

Such is life...

Your not alone.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Good questions. I'll be 71 in October. I shot 79 this morning in Florida from the white tees. I moved to the whites about a year ago from the blues which was voted on by our group where the age swing is 65 to 82. I know guys in their 80's here shooting their age consistently. Almost all the guys I know have some type of health problem but we have excellent health care.

There is a thread on "old guys shooting their age" on this site. Check it out it's amazing.

Uh huuh you will be like The Rev giving me 3 shots the side--- Good Playing  :D  Something about you Florida Boys

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

So hopefully that means once I get to around the same age in another 30 some years or so I will still be able to hit my driver 280, here's hoping anyways. As they say only time will tell.

Trust me that is technology because I play 3 different forms of golf. Modern equipment, Vintage steel with steel shafted blades and persimmon woods and Hickory golf. I grew up in the blade and persimmon era. So when I get those out I get a dose of reality. At 60 years old I still hit the persimmon about 230 or so at sea level with the modern ball. Actually with the modern stuff I have gained distance with the metal woods. On the irons I will not get into that with jacked lofts and improved shafts. But at 60 and a little overweight I am in pretty good shape since I did get put on BP meds a few years back. I do have a pin in my right ankle from a motorcycle accident in my 20s. I have always stayed active working. Even though I drive a truck with my job there is more than sitting on my butt holding a steering wheel. I have to switch and tarp loads and clean out the trailers by sweeping and shoveling so there is some physical labor involved

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Uh huuh you will be like The Rev giving me 3 shots the side--- Good Playing :D Something about you Florida Boys

Actually Connecticut boys moving to Florida!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Actually Connecticut boys moving to Florida!

Yeah but the Florida grows on you guys!!!

G

Yeah but the Florida grows on you guys!!!

It better, last stop.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Uh huuh you will be like The Rev giving me 3 shots the side--- Good Playing :D Something about you Florida Boys

Ummmm, giving who what??? Can't hear anything??

Rick

Left Hand, 

I used to say when I retire I'm going to play everyday. When I retired my body said no you're not. Those good players in their 60's, 70's and 80's were, except for a few, good players 18-59. Look at the senior tour. Except for B. Langer, for whatever reason even those guys don't win consistently

I used to say when I retire I'm going to play everyday. When I retired my body said no you're not. Those good players in their 60's, 70's and 80's were, except for a few, good players 18-59. Look at the senior tour. Except for B. Langer, for whatever reason even those guys don't win consistently

Right now I play 18 twice a week, 9 twice a week also. I might do another 9 if pressed. My knees, hip, shoulder can't take it. During the summer only play morning as heat wears me out. I should have figured out a way to retire at 25, not 65. Poor planning!

Rick

Left Hand, 

No matter the technological advances I think a huge part of it is still an individuals body, their flexibility and strength. We might have easier surgeries, better components and possibly easier recoveries but that doesn't necessarily make a person any more skilled or flexible if their body didn't allow it to begin with.

I'm 45 now and I've probably lost 10 yds from my 30's. I still hit it more than long enough to hit short irons and wedges into greens. But my handicap has dropped 8 points since those years because I have matured and worried more about hitting fairways and greens, and working on my short game. I work out lightly and am flexible enough. I may live longer that my folks but will technology make me any more able to play a sport? Not sure about that.

No matter the technological advances I think a huge part of it is still an individuals body, their flexibility and strength. We might have easier surgeries, better components and possibly easier recoveries but that doesn't necessarily make a person any more skilled or flexible if their body didn't allow it to begin with.

I'm 45 now and I've probably lost 10 yds from my 30's. I still hit it more than long enough to hit short irons and wedges into greens. But my handicap has dropped 8 points since those years because I have matured and worried more about hitting fairways and greens, and working on my short game. I work out lightly and am flexible enough. I may live longer that my folks but will technology make me any more able to play a sport? Not sure about that.

Not just speaking about technological advances, but the knowledge we now have in terms of taking care of our bodies. We know a lot more now about the body than we did 25 years ago when our parents were our age.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Interesting thread - life expectancies in the US have actually started to decline. Who knows?

Like the other older guys I have aches and pains that annoy me. But at 60 I have no trouble lifting my 15 year old daughter from bed to wheel chair and wheel chair to toilet several times each day. It took three young, strong nurses to transfer her when I wasn't here today.

One thing is certain - guys on whatever form of social media is out there will still hit it much longer there than in real life. :)

If there is such a thing as real life any more.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting thread - life expectancies in the US have actually started to decline. Who knows?

Like the other older guys I have aches and pains that annoy me. But at 60 I have no trouble lifting my 15 year old daughter from bed to wheel chair and wheel chair to toilet several times each day. It took three young, strong nurses to transfer her when I wasn't here today.

One thing is certain - guys on whatever form of social media is out there will still hit it much longer there than in real life. :)

If there is such a thing as real life any more.

You're a hero brother

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have to wear glasses to drive a car, according to WA DOL.  However, I do not need to wear glasses to drive a golf ball.  That tells you a lot right there.   :blush:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived