Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

now you've played both the Z star and XV, and shot well with both, what's your overall impression, particularly re feel and around the green?

I still would prefer the XV overall although the Z Star is really, really good. The Z Star feels a bit better to me with a wedge around the green but I really prefer the XV off the putter. It's a different feel for sure but it just feels solid to me. Substantial. And the XV is no sloach around the greens. I would choose the XV rn but the Z Star is really good. In fact, I'm considering returning one box of XV'S for Z Star's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I still would prefer the XV overall although the Z Star is really, really good. The Z Star feels a bit better to me with a wedge around the green but I really prefer the XV off the putter. It's a different feel for sure but it just feels solid to me. Substantial. And the XV is no sloach around the greens. I would choose the XV rn but the Z Star is really good. In fact, I'm considering returning one box of XV'S for Z Star's.

The two balls definitely feel different off the putter and on pitch/chip shots. No doubt about it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For the non-reviewing MGS members, is there anything else you want to see from our reviews?

2 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Can you notice a difference in spin around the green between the 2 or is the only difference in the feel?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

For the non-reviewing MGS members, is there anything else you want to see from our reviews?

Would you guys be able to do a video from on the green hitting the same chip or approach shot to see the difference in roll out?

Are you guys able to get any launch monitor data to see if the boxes are really right between distance, launch, and spin?

Edited by goaliewales14
  • Like 1

Can you notice a difference in spin around the green between the 2 or is the only difference in the feel?

On full shots I can absolutely see a difference in spin with the Z Star spinning more - often too much. I rarely want my ball to spin back - I prefer drop and stop, which is what the XV gives me. Around the greens they both spin well although the XV runs out a tick more but honestly it's difficult to quantify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Would you guys be able to do a video from on the green hitting the same chip or approach shot to see the difference in roll out?
Are you guys able to get any launch monitor data to see if the boxes are really right between distance, launch, and spin?

I will try and do that but I don't have a lot of options near by. I'm thinking I will rent a bay at Golf Galaxy and see if I can get some numbers. Will keep the thread posted.

• Like 2

I have done some putting testing, and I have noticed, a significant difference in distance off the putter.. I know is sounds odd but I hit about 5 Blind shots with each from about 8 feet ( putted them with Blank White up), and noticed that the xv was right on distance and the Z-star was about 6-10 inches short.. I randomly placed them on the green in a line and putted them all on the same line with the same stroke.. some variable is me, yes but it was noticeable that the Z-star was just a little shorter.. as far as spin, I do not get a ton of spin around the green to start with and did notice that the z-star stopped slightly quicker then the XV FOR ME... which is what I would expect.. Hope this helps.. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

NO launch monitor but in on course the distances are slightly longer then played with the XV, for me 150 yds is an 8 iron.. I hit one into a green from about 153 and flew landed on the back of the green and one hopped off.. stopped 7 feet past the back of the green.. 

With the z-star I am only 3-4 yrds longer as I am also noticing slightly longer off the Irons, played on a course I know well enough that I play certain pars 3s with certain clubs and have had to rethink what I need to play... 

Real world testing I am loving both of these balls, just 1 slightly more.. I'll answer that in stage 2 coming soon.. 

• Like 2

I have done some putting testing, and I have noticed, a significant difference in distance off the putter.. I know is sounds odd but I hit about 5 Blind shots with each from about 8 feet ( putted them with Blank White up), and noticed that the xv was right on distance and the Z-star was about 6-10 inches short.. I randomly placed them on the green in a line and putted them all on the same line with the same stroke.. some variable is me, yes but it was noticeable that the Z-star was just a little shorter.. as far as spin, I do not get a ton of spin around the green to start with and did notice that the z-star stopped slightly quicker then the XV FOR ME... which is what I would expect.. Hope this helps.. 

I have absolutely noticed that the XV rolls out longer than the Z Star. I have hit hundreds of putts and to the best of my ability have stroked the balls the same and the XV rolls out more. I have putted extremely well with the XV but the difference is noticeable to me too.

• Like 1

I have absolutely noticed that the XV rolls out longer than the Z Star. I have hit hundreds of putts and to the best of my ability have stroked the balls the same and the XV rolls out more. I have putted extremely well with the XV but the difference is noticeable to me too.

I can't compare the XV to the Z Star, but I really like how the XV feels on the putter. I played the Snell MTB before and it felt like mush off my Elevado putter face. The XV feels soooooo much better. I reached into the bag and grabbed another Snell after a few rounds with the XV and putts were really short.
I had a sample pack if the Mizunos and the X had the same feel off the putter. But I scarred the mizunos within a few shots. The Srixons last as long as I can keep them out of the bushes.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I can't compare the XV to the Z Star, but I really like how the XV feels on the putter. I played the Snell MTB before and it felt like mush off my Elevado putter face. The XV feels soooooo much better. I reached into the bag and grabbed another Snell after a few rounds with the XV and putts were really short.
I had a sample pack if the Mizunos and the X had the same feel off the putter. But I scarred the mizunos within a few shots. The Srixons last as long as I can keep them out of the bushes.

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My initial thoughts about the XV vs Z Star when putting:

Z Star feels a bit dead off the putter face.

XV rolls out so well - a bit more active but doesn't feel hot at all. Best putting ball I've ever used.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2019 at 1:10 AM, golfertrb said:

On full shots I can absolutely see a difference in spin with the Z Star spinning more - often too much. I rarely want my ball to spin back - I prefer drop and stop, which is what the XV gives me. Around the greens they both spin well although the XV runs out a tick more but honestly it's difficult to quantify.

Good to know. One of my daughters bought me 2 doz Z Stars for Father's Day during the BOGO sale. I have been very impressed with the ball and like the feel, especially around the greens. Even though I suck at golf, when I hit an iron properly the Z Star and backing up much more than I expect - I'm really not used to that.

• Like 1

As others have said, the Z-star does seem to spin more. The first round I played with it I was coming up much shorter on chip and pitch shots than I was planning to.

My second round I played with it, I had a ton of up and down par saves, chipped in once, and hit about 3 others to inside 1 foot.

But I did miss a ton of greens short that day (ball spins almost too much in the wind for me).

My initial thoughts about the XV vs Z Star when putting:

Z Star feels a bit dead off the putter face.

XV rolls out so well - a bit more active but doesn't feel hot at all. Best putting ball I've ever used.

You can 100% tell the difference in putting.

I did a blind test as well when I first got the balls. I agree that you can tell with just about 100% confidence which ball is which after you learn the feel of each. Doesn’t take too long.

Going to try to get launch monitor data. Thinking about hitting up the PGA Superstore near me.

I can try to get a video of the chipping rollout as well.

• Like 1

PGA Tour Superstore has GC2, rent the bay for $10/30mins, so I am going to go get my hard data there!

I’ll do driver, 7 iron, and 58* lob wedge.

• Like 2

I don't have a PGA Superstore anywhere near me but I can do something similar at Golf Galaxy and I'm planning on doing that this coming week. I won't be able to play or even practice the next few days so I don't have anything to add except to say that I believe my ball search is over :)

• Like 2

Reviewers-Great jobs on the Stage 1's.   And even better job of keeping the conversation going on here. 

My question would be.  If any of you had played the previous generation Z-Star, in what ways, if any does this one differ?

• Like 1