Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

The results of the My Golf Ball ball study generated a lot of discussion and also questions as a result.  If one of those questions you had is, which model of Srixon ball will work best for me, the Z Star or the Z Star XV, then we may the answer for you.

Four of our members were sent a dozen of each, and will be putting them in play on the course and putting green over the next 4  to 5 weeks to see which one works best for them.  They will report in regularly along the way with results form both.  So feel free to chime in with questions and read both their stage reviews to get their full thoughts. 

Srixon Z-Star

Our Four Testers Are:

@Reesedw               Stage 1                  Stage 2

@pulledabill             Stage 1                  Stage 2

@ChasingScratch    Stage 1                  Stage 2

@golfertrb                Stage 1                 Stage 2

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For those of you who don’t me, I’m Dave, a 50 yr old golf addict. I play between 30-40 rounds a year. I live in the PNW just north of Seattle. Yes, it really does Rain all year round… I have been fortunate to test in the past, most recently was last season when I took part in the Cobra connect challenge II. After getting fit for my cobras I have never played better golf then I did last summer, shooting a personal best twice. Once while setting my baseline with my old clubs which were Wilson D300 irons, Ping G30 LST driver, Taylor made R9 3wd, knock off hybrids and a ping g25 wedges; I shot my first ever 79. During the Challenge, I Shot another personal best of a 79 when I needed it most during our “Best Round” week. I have since decided to keep my full bag of Cobra’s. But I am also always looking for the next best thing. I dropped my handicap from 19 at the start to an amazing 12. My current ball has been the Bridgestone e6 Soft for the last couple of years, for the most part. As a mid- handicapper I play a lot of “found” balls, and have always tried to play Pro V1’s as much as I can. I do prefer a softer feeling ball. I tend to shy away from the “X” balls, i.e. the Pro V1x or the Chrome Soft x. But after seeing the My Golf Spy ball guide I was amazed that Feel has very little to do with performance. Also, after seeing the Srixon Z-Star’s did so well I was excited to get selected to test these balls. I have always liked the Srixon but never really played them except the occasional find.

So let’s get into this..

DSC_3006.thumb.JPG.bb71f51183f8e11c4643f8cc0658f41f.JPG

The packaging was nice, not overly flashy.. Yeah right …. I do like the packaging. Very nice.. 

DSC_3008.thumb.JPG.8e0c7c118c6199d5632bca9e6f2e2db7.JPG

I like that the balls feel soft when you press a nail into them but not enough to mark them..

Spin Skin? What the H___? It’s a urethane covered Premium golf ball right, so what is Spin skin? Well Srixon say’s, it’s a Supramolecular material that create movable polymer crosslinks to unlock new levels of spin and control… I’m still not sure what it is. But I should get new levels of Spin and control, that I do understand.

DSC_3010.thumb.JPG.f3447b81fc38e36b9262a9d390ec6cdb.JPG

The Z-star:                                                                                                                          Z-Star XV:

The Z-Star is a single core 3-piece ball                                                                      The XV is a 4-piece tour ball

That offers:                                                                                                                        That offers:

Feel- Softer                                                                                                                        Feel- Soft

Distance- Long                                                                                                                   Distance- Longer

Greenside Spin- Best                                                                                                      Greenside Spin- Best

Driver Spin- Low                                                                                                               Driver Spin- Low

Flight- Mid                                                                                                                          Flight- Mid-High

Now that we have the standard stuff out of the way, you’ll have to check back to see Stage 2 and find out the results of these balls as tested by a mid-handicapper.

DSC_3024.thumb.JPG.a5f026ae1c20d7e50fbeb481bc75fa03.JPG

A huge thanks to Mygolfspy, Srixon golf, and all of you for giving me this opportunity. It really is a pleasure to be able to give real world testing to products that we all use and play..

Reesedw

Edited by Reesedw
stage 1 review.
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

At 52 years old, I was awaiting my Srixon Z-Stars and Z Star XV like a kid on Christmas.  Finally getting the chance to review something for MGS!

I stopped applying for awhile as I had double carpal tunnel surgery in December and then again in January.  Played my 1st full round in I believe March. After the round I went home, fell in my kitchen, and broke my right thumb....ugghhhh.... More setback.

My 6 handicap suffered as I played too early after surgery and injury and went to a 15 handicap!  Currently playing to an 11 and expect to be back in the singles soon after taking a much needed break to heal and reflect on my game.  Currently playing Titleist 716 AP1's

I've played this game since I was in grade school, but didn't play much at all from 2005 until 2016 as I was raising a daughter on my own and didn't have the funds or the time to do much other than a par 3 or the driving range with my daughter.  She is off at the University of Oregon so I have an empty nest. Last year I scored around 150 rounds and worked hard to get to a 6 hdcp. I was playing 4-6 days a week. Either on the range, putting green, or the course. I plan to be there or lower by this fall.  I love the challenge of not only competing against myself, but others as well and have played a couple of tournaments this year. I find peace in my life when I'm on the course.  

I am not overly long off the tee and seldom carry a driver.  I generally hit 5w off the tee and when Im playing well, it is my best club.  My long iron game is ok, and my mid to short irons are good. I carry 4 wedges and take pride in a solid short game, and that is where I make or break my game.  Putter is hot or cold like many of us.

I am a high ball hitter and my normal flight is a fade. My normal ball is a Titleist ProV1 and at times I like the Titleist AVX in the wind. I fell in love late last summer with the AVX, but I've come to realize that it doesn't offer enough spin on some of the courses I've been playing this summer.  Greens are just too hard for the low spin it offers. I've tried many times to leave the Prov1 behind as the price is steep, but I keep coming back to it as I do truly feel that it is the best ball on the market. I've dabbled with Taylor Made TP5 and their X as well as Callaway Chrome Soft and Srixon in the past as well.  I always liked the Srixon balls as they were very durable, but I felt that they were a bit hard around the green. Not much, just not the same as my Prov1's. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the various brands in my bag as I plan to test them up against my usual balls as well as others along the way. For me less driver spin, more green side spin, and feel around the green and off the putter are the keys for me.  

My first impression when I opened the box and saw my two dozen balls in their packaging was that I loved their box as it made their ball seem "tough" and  "prestigious".  Do you agree?

20190614_152724.jpg.bbd9b7986d5276e82bf5519eee638cd8.jpg

Both of these balls are Urethane balls in the PREMIUM ball category.  The Z-Star is a 3 piece ball that offers low driver spin, high approach spin, controllable trajectory, and claims to hold up in the winds.  Soft feel and maximum approach spin seems to be Srixon's main claim with the Z-Star.

The XV is a 4 piece tour ball with a firmer feel and a penetrating ball flight.  It seems to be designed for the more powerful and aggressive players. It looks to have a mid to high launch and is a longer ball than the Z- Star.  

20190614_153011.jpg.bc8575556ffa4132bbed983a73522ae4.jpg

What is this SPINSKN with SeRM technology?  I'm not sure it matters to me what it is as I just want a ball to perform and not to worry what technology goes in to it.  It's on their boxes so let's take a look. It appears to be a trademarked technology with some kind of slide ring material (SeRM).  It is a softer but more durable cover that claims to dig in to the grooves of the club face creating max friction. Does it? I will say that I have found Srixon to be very durable in the past.   

20190614_152752.jpg.92fcebf4f1f4e94c4740a4a17dc0c762.jpg

I have only played a handful of holes with the XV in the last few days.  I was impressed with the feel from the top of the bag to the bottom, and it was a few yards longer than my ProV1.  My only struggle with this ball was it seemed to catch the wind more than I like. I play in evening winds and it is important to me that a ball cuts the wind.  Early impression and this will be revisited many nights over my testing.

My testing will be on multiple courses with different hardness of greens and my whole bag will be used.  I will hit the Z Star, Z Star XV, and my normal ProV1 up to the green. I will pay attention to what Srixon claims are on each ball, and compare it to my Titleist ProV1 and against each other.  

As an Oregon State Beaver fan, my new Srixon's are marked up are ready to begin phase 2 of our adventure.  20190614_154610.jpg.a55a099d429b7138c6e89a79f9b01539.jpg

Thank you again to Srixon, and MGS, for allowing me to test these balls and look forward to reporting back my findings along the way.  

Edited by pulledabill
  • Like 9

Srixon Z STAR and Z STAR XV - STAGE 1

Hello fellow Spies! It is my absolute joy and pleasure to share my initial thoughts about Srixon’s newest itineration of the Z STAR and Z STAR XV for 2019. First, I want to thank MGS and Srixon for allowing me to test and review this new ball. It is a true honor and one that I take very, very seriously. To be a regular golfer and to be entrusted with putting these balls through their paces to determine if the marketing claims are true and if you, the reader, would be interested in spending your hard-earned money to play them, is simply incredible and it is one of the many things that separates MyGolfSpy from any other golf forum I’m aware of.  

My Background

My name is Terry, I’m almost 48 and I’ve been playing golf for the past 28 years. When I was 20 years old, I got into golf when a friend took me to the driving range, and I was completely hooked. In 13 months, I was a scratch and eventually a plus handicap. I was absolutely taken by the idea that how I played, how I improved, how I succeeded or failed was up to me and my ability to control my golf ball, my expectations, my emotions, my attitude – everything. I never played high school golf and the college I attended didn’t even have a golf team, so I learned to play and compete on the golf course with money on the line. I loved the excitement of playing for more money than I had and beating guys with better pedigrees than me. As time went on, with building my career and having a family, my golf game suffered. I didn’t keep a handicap for quite some time and I basically just wanted to shoot somewhere in the 70’s. 

Fast forward to 2008 and I started getting back into equipment and practicing/playing more and by 2013, I was back to a +3.1. In December 2014, I was in a bad enough car accident that it required two back surgeries including a fusion, but I was eventually able to get back to playing golf and I’m so grateful. It took a few years, new clubs and playing different tees but according to TheGrint, I’m back to a plus handicap and I couldn’t be happier to be playing again!

My Golf Game

My game is not flashy; I’m not long off the tee anymore (Swing speed with driver: 100-105mph) but when I’m playing well, I hit a lot of fairways and greens and when I’m not playing well, I lean on my short game. I need a ball that can squeeze everything I can out of the driver but still behave well chipping and putting. I played Titleist balls from the time I started playing until 2007 but I did not like the 2008 ProV1, so I went looking for a ball. I turned to TaylorMade and played whatever tour ball they were producing at the time from the LDP Black/Red to the 2017 TP5/TP5x. In 2018 I changed most of my bag and I went looking for a new ball. I landed on the Titleist AVX which I played until I read the MGS Ball Test results and the search for a new ball continued. I tried the Snell MTB Black and X and the 2019 ProV1 and had pretty much decided to play the ProV1 when I was selected to do the Srixon test. Because I live in Oklahoma, I need a ball that behaves well in the wind. I need a ball that is easily flighted and workable.  I can work it both ways, but I prefer a slight fade with the driver. My miss can be a push if I’m just a bit off or a pull hook if I’m completely lost. I need a ball that chips and putts well because that is my bread and butter and I don’t mind saying right now that the Srixon’s have surprised me so far. 

First Impressions

I have heard good things about Srixon golf balls, but I have never played one. Srixon claims the Z Star and Z Star XV “deliver unmatched technology with incredible feel so golfers can elevate all aspects of their game to score better.” (Sounds awesome – I’m in!) The Z Star is a 3-piece ball while the XV is a 4-piece. Both have “Spin Skin with Slide-Ring Material” which is a “supramolecular material that creates movable polymer crosslinks to unlock new levels of spin and control.” This is designed to create more friction for spin and control, a softer coating for feel and stain/tear resistance for extra durability. I have no way to really test that, but I plan on comparing the Z STAR to the 2019 ProV1 and the Z STAR XV to 2019 ProV1x. I will also be making comparisons between the Z STAR and Z STAR XV; all with spin, feel and durability in mind.

My first impressions of the packaging were that it looked a bit cartoonish to my eye (not necessarily a bad thing): 

IMG_Jun142019at60022PM.jpg.9fb048f3c50f1c21ffdb1f317b5189c8.jpg

IMG_Jun142019at55923PM.jpg.094aa2fc3d67214a15b4082fc3c2d877.jpg

I did, however, find the brightness of the ball initially a bit off-putting. The “Pure White” gives the ball the look of a cheaper surlyn ball to my eye. I’ve tried to capture the difference between the Srixon, Snell, Titleist and TaylorMade: 

IMG_Jun142019at55800PM.jpg.7a3390cd85798ee56f3bf6e7e219c3e2.jpg

IMG_Jun142019at60317PM.jpg.f35973db10e366fe075e5027763620ce.jpg

When you look at the balls closely, they are clearly high-quality, but the white is really white. 

IMG_Jun142019at60113PM.jpg.ee90affa35cb53d517daeedf958df0b1.jpg

I will conclude by saying that when we were first notified by GolfSpy MPR about testing these balls we were asked which ball we wanted to test; either the Z STAR or the Z STAR XV and we all chose one, only to find out we were testing both. It’s the ball I DIDN’T choose that I am absolutely LOVING🥰 To say that I have been surprised is an absolute understatement. If you have any questions for me during this test – please don’t hesitate to ask – I am here at your disposal. 

I’m with you! I figured they’d be good balls but I didn’t expect to enjoy them this much! I’ve played one round with each so far. Which one are you leaning towards preferring?

Texas has high winds as well, so too much spin can be havoc off the tee. These things stop on a dime with the wedges though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I’m with you! I figured they’d be good balls but I didn’t expect to enjoy them this much! I’ve played one round with each so far. Which one are you leaning towards preferring?

Texas has high winds as well, so too much spin can be havoc off the tee. Things things stop on a dime with the wedges though.

I honestly expected to favor the Z STAR but it's the XV thus far that I'm leaning towards. I've played 4 or 5 rounds with both and a fair amount of short game practice and the XV has really surprised me. It has a more substantive feel somehow that I really appreciate. Off the putter it is fantastic and rolls out more than the other for me which is fantastic. I tend to have balls die at the hole and these just roll out a hair more.

We've had a ton of rain and on the softer conditions the Z Star was spinning too much on the greens with full shots. I typically don't want the ball spinning back and the XV just hits and stops which is great. That said, the last time I played with Z Star it was really, really great. I know it's not a competition between the two balls but the comparisons are easy to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to give an update.

So far, I have played one round with each ball.  Yesterday, I shot my second ever round under par with the Z-Star XV!!!  Used the same ball for the entire round.  This 4-piece ball spins like mad on full and pitch/chip shots.  I had to adjust on pitches and chips around the green for the stoppage factor.

I did get one scuff/cut on the ball after the 7th hole (image below), but it did not seem to affect the performance of the ball at all for the remaining 11 holes.  As many full swing Vokey SM7 lob wedges as I hit yesterday, the cover of this ball held up phenomenally well.

900821057_ResizeXVscuff.jpg.8023a29d9f5a93909926e472d1c9b4bc.jpg

Playing a new course tomorrow and I plan to play the front nine with the Z-Star and the back with the XV.

Edited by ChasingScratch
  • Like 6

Just wanted to give an update.
So far, I have played one round with each ball.  Yesterday, I shot my second ever round under par with the Z-Star XV!!!  Used the same ball for the entire round.  This 4-piece ball spins like mad on full and pitch/chip shots.  I had to adjust on pitches and chips around the green for the stoppage factor.
I did get one scuff/cut on the ball after the 7th hole (image below), but it did not seem to affect the performance of the ball at all for the remaining 11 holes.  As many full swing Vokey SM7 lob wedges as I hit yesterday, the cover of this ball held up phenomenally well.
900821057_ResizeXVscuff.jpg.8023a29d9f5a93909926e472d1c9b4bc.jpg
Playing a new course tomorrow and I plan to play the front nine with the Z-Star and the back with the XV.

The XV is so good. It's the ball that has really surprised me. I'm on vacation this week at Disney so no golf for me but I'm looking forward to next week when I'm home. Congratulations on shooting under par - that is quite an accomplishment! May it be the first of many sub-par rounds!

• Like 1

Oh and the durability of these balls is amazing. I'm still playing the same balls with 72 holes each. More on that in Phase 2!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Oh and the durability of these balls is amazing. I'm still playing the same balls with 72 holes each. More on that in Phase 2!

I noticed that with the one Z Star I had in the bag, 2 rounds in and looked like new compared to my 6 holes in ProV1.

I would still be using it, but it decided to go chasing rabbits in the trees and I couldn't get it to come back. 😉

• Like 5

Played 18 holes today with the Z-Star (same ball for 17 holes). Hit a tree hard once and not a single scratch or scuff on it.

I do think that the XV might be better in the wind for me. I had trouble with too much spin and the Z-Star getting climbing and falling short on full shots from 130yds and in. Wind was blowing a consistent 18-20mph for the entire round.

• Like 1

I noticed that with the one Z Star I had in the bag, 2 rounds in and looked like new compared to my 6 holes in ProV1.
I would still be using it, but it decided to go chasing rabbits in the trees and I couldn't get it to come back. 

I have been extremely impressed with the durability of these balls. I would have thought that the “spin skin” would have made for a less durable cover. So far I couldn’t be happier with it!

• Like 3

I would still be using it, but it decided to go chasing rabbits in the trees and I couldn't get it to come back. 

I’ve had the same Z Star in play for 108 holes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3