How To Play Golf As a Beginner

z3XAw-Dawm17QsHHaUlJM-KwLItHddIN2DG_WJCX66fZQpsoo2S8ejysnW4QIGgGb3ZGKeLZ5EsMM-sWvyAiaPZoQX2lLeomZCWi7O7G-6NdYzuBWGq_V0Rs8NJ45lJ28v2_ttV6SDtxcRnlq1xX2RW_9r5cIvwv1K03vRN-7NFXFLc-J_gKJjsk4gEEnjTjYOawv1JqZc9CDxyfXU2gtJ704wPHAo8lc5JPHS4Ry8gom9fatWOhJCpYRKUCAxed3FR0Ku36CN_VM_scsME___cSf-zsFWtYtD4FKAZ1ib9hQXVuZLDA4heMobs7focXxCJDffbrOneDexB11ZR3MSuMgrQURsu4NqL7gd2QGR1CNDNH05yXybNue0nspCYPsj0yoIFs-V_ghOop_SwNMneg

What you need:

Clubs: You don’t always need new.  I recommend checking ebay for used sets, possibly even Facebook marketplace.  If you decide to buy new clubs, I highly recommend being fit for them (length, loft/lie, stiff/regular/senior shafts).  

This page will define these for you!

Driving Range: Any range nearby will do.  Prices range from $5.00-$15.00 anywhere from 20-100 balls.  

Attire: Any clothing that lets you rotate properly (i.e no jeans, jackets, etc…) 

STEP 1: GRIP

Xh3y_T-2vQGwZeGzRs55U1s5yFpmwsQnPgXODwMhO2pXWRMEyoeFFYrMGdFHiXMjBVLsUqaCplUAjO1FXfXc966OpGwGD2i3dtKbdrvlspVZAKOcDk9nmfWaotAruBu6CRYHp6ZBQZpVHJ-wGtEczaew-bbj6R_29PgwZFeY68O4xcURR7WWIqJ9W0Jx-fs3_cvZmKxMqcMZ6g2LGidlSZyIIUG6T6KJra8E0UyMWFZwM_AE-g0ynVS4Z972NoTOnbA_NQ6jwHRLckMx

There are typically two variations of the golf grip that most players stick to.  I personally use what is called “interlock grip” where my left pointer finger interlocks with my right pinky finger.  This ensures a more consistent grip with less break in the wrists.  Some golfers prefer what is known as the “overlap grip” where your right pinky lays in the crevasse created with your left pointer and middle finger.  Both work well and are mostly up to personal preference.  

It is important to notice how in the first picture, my right hand creates a “V” shape in between my pointer finger and thumb.  This V shape should point towards your right shoulder.  This is called a “neutral grip”. 

If that V shape pointed far out right of my body, and the thumb rests on the right side of the grip, that is known as a “strong” grip, and will most likely result in a draw (right-to-left ball flight).

If your right hand is turned too far to the left, that is known as a “weak” grip, most likely resulting in a left-to-right ball flight.  

STEP 2: SETUPOVhz9AYGpPcCGMHPrvGadByabZ8iCZR7Zanhazf4y-MYAdW_Dld0wxLfOUuMa4Fph-dAcvtkkfN7KWTaanWmJZKDeBeoNixtlmpQXiMZY-ltJ9jY76AJibqfihn0NLn39mdP5Wxc

When you step up to the ball, you want to feel like most of your weight is on your toes rather than your heels.  Almost feel like you will fall forward, but lean back until you feel stable, then freeze.  

The position of the ball in relation to your feet all depends on the club you are using.  If it is a longer club, say a 6-3 iron, the ball will be closer in line to your left foot.  If you are using a wedge or a higher lofted iron, the ball will be closer to the middle of your stance.  SvFYBscJ33cWFOexlmntZ22V75iNN3JHpe7HJSPUAiouQBST9okO-qpTgRxsNhB_GJSd9vtdb3H203MljM_8ntNZhN39ZBeiBuoXP6xi91CwuGPQMrXTQftyyHXS5qQjaI0LFiY9

STEP 3: TAKEAWAY8Y00jJ4VRADbid4Rf97t2DwW2jkWNqKm8NBnA4UV5-3iELf9JbmsXZR9ZWkbEsjAJmj4uwamJnzX-_szxrEquWlKNMG-LJV6w_PlxwJhM3qVryXVy55OVZ6z92yhqUJJ2I4G0P2b

As you shift your wrists towards the right, your left knee will begin to compress downwards, as will your left shoulder.  This is one of the most difficult aspects of the swing, as you need to disconnect your upper body/shoulder rotation from your lower.  Your feet should remain quiet, both planted securely on the ground.  

nYnJRhyA1n2rCAi3-6k8vIkJ9QC1OU6q5FVodhJhVYucfdY2GQgg7aXYjifO2IRtkfMQSLUYKb10ZJORrK7mOXGpYp_PkVTbEq79Kv9SDPz3BzCu5QcROkYMTjIqM544Fz5yU7W3

STEP 4: AT THE TOP

Once the club reaches the top, you should be looking down at the ball over your left shoulder.  The left knee is still compressing, while the right knee remains relatively straight.  The left arm should remain straight, and your wrist should be straight leading into your hand.  As for your right arm, feel as though you are a waiter carrying a plate of food.  If you take a look at the picture you can see the club-face is actually a little closed,  possibly resulting in a right-to-left ball flight.  Ideally, the face should be almost pointing straight down to result in straighter ball flights.  

Dt0CuERj-vLBjfKjzS2kG_yGIWBBb5dVYYjklh4N3SrKYQ0jR1R4VBZlQVDKj04v2lcqnjJgB2jCX614sUfRHq3lsPwAs1fygIFDjwJca-NLc5Ab4gkBgc5T73QDsHKnsRfoqZte

STEP 5: POWER DOWNWARDS AND THROUGH

Pull sharply down on the grip of the club as your hips rotate to the left.  Your left arm should still remain relatively straight.  Very importantly, when the club reaches the ball, the shaft of the club should be angled slightly forward (the grip should be in front of the clubface as you look down, this creates more compression in the ball, resulting in better strikes).  Your right foot should begin to pivot on your big toe, yet your left foot should remain quiet.  

XMrzcg-dn2Akbf4NFW7Qje0WozCcF2ITiIg8D2fgZuB595leAauKsvSgYfOnd0UOKcZEl4l7kGSoHNJOhl_o4BDbE9gcCjN8jUnkFj2cCddd8kxLXtE7Kcb60ZNHC3jtybvkoWNP

NOTE: IMPACT

A really important aspect of impact is making sure you hit the ball first and then the ground.  It seems strange at first, but this is what results in the ball spinning and getting more loft.  As the club comes down, the clubface should strike the ball and then the turf beyond the ball.

STEP 6: REPETITION

Final product

Final Swing Video  

HAVE SOMEONE TRY IT:

My mom’s attempt:

I gave these tips to my mom when I took her to the range for the first time, and she has been seeing improvement ever since.  Her main struggle arrived at the backswing, when your left arm should remain relatively straight as it sweeps across your body.  She couldn’t keep her arm from breaking at the joint.  Since it was her first time swinging a golf club in 20 years, it was probably due to the muscles not yet ready to make that move.  I would recommend stretching immensely before attempting the golf swing after a long break.  Build your way up to your full power.  There is no point in jumping the gun as there are so many techniques that are better learned not even swinging the club. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Quite good post! I'm also a beginner so I can't add something useful, but it was interesting for me to read! I also interested in golf lessons, I think it is the best way to learn how to play better. Maybe you can also share some additional tips for me for education! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hamsretzy

Comment anything you think I missed or phrased incorrectly.  Also any swing tips from the video attached towards the end, I am always trying to learn something new!

Not sure I understand the intent of your original post. Are you creating an instruction manual? Advice for yourself? Etc.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel