Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

In to out swing and standing too far from the ball

I’ve always had an in to out swing, with an inside path of 8-10 degrees. I’ve been able to compensate generally, but of course my misses are hooks and blocks. 

someone just pointed out I stand far from the ball, and it’s true. Not only am I stretching at times, I also address the ball with the toe of the club. I did find that standing much closer seemed to help the inside to out path significantly, and I did hit some nice clean shots. Although I am also terrified of shanking it. 

does that make sense? Can standing too far away lead to an inside out path? And will approaching the ball straighter lead to better contact and higher ball speeds?

The further you get from the ball the flatter the swing will be. A flatter swing may or may not lead to an inside out path. 

Rickie Fowler has a flat swing but he has some compensations in his swing that occur as a result and when he is slightly off he gets stuck and the block or pull comes in because his hands/arms have to work more to square the club.

From what i have read and seen over the last several months about the swing is that flat backswings tend to lead to a steep of the shaft in the transition and a steep shaft will lead more to an out to in swing.

The blocks and pushes come from having to compensate to get the club face square due to the body stopping it’s rotation. If you don’t square it up say hi to the right side. If you flip or rotate the hands/arms to much welcome to the pulls.

Im sure there’s others in here that can get into the swing plane details more than I can but for a consistent predictable swing most coaches prefer to be on plane in the downswing. Some coaches like Bradley Hughes who uses the great ball strikers from the past and present talks about being under plane coming into the ball and on plane doesn’t occur until after the ball.

Long story short is flatter swings in the backswing may or may not lead to inside out paths and more ball speed. Having proper sequencing and swing mechanics will reduce the the misses.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have an inside out swing as well, with the same misses. In the last year, I found this to work for me.

I found that if I stand a little closer to the ball AND stand up a little straighter it improves my shots. I really feel the ball trap/compress off the clubhead. Much improved dispersion and more consistent draw.

To note I was a sweeper, now with these changes I take a nice little divot down the line. I also try to swing out to the 12:30 or 1 o'clock position, not sure how much outside you try to get or how many degrees that is. Also I'm 5'11" 240lbs. So a bit stocky. I include these personal details as a disclaimer, what works for me may not exactly work for others.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have an inside out swing as well, with the same misses. In the last year, I found this to work for me.

I found that if I stand a little closer to the ball AND stand up a little straighter it improves my shots. I really feel the ball trap/compress off the clubhead. Much improved dispersion and more consistent draw.

I have the same problem as you guys sometimes more like 15 degrees from in to out and usually either send the ball straight right or hook it. I had tried standing closer and taller last year and it worked great on the range and into a net yet for some reason as soon as I took that swing to the course I was too close to the ball and well you know it was off the hosel... Too close and too in to out was a recipe for disaster for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app