Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TSi2 15 or 16.5

Hey everyone! 

I wanted to get some feedback on an idea im trying to put in to motion. I currently have a TSi2 15 3 wood and I am replacing my TSi2 21 Hybrid for a 7 Wood. I found a great deal on a brand new TSi2 16.5 but for a preowned price. Is it worth it to get a head that is neutral 16.5 or should I just adjust my 15 head by 1.5 to achieve the same loft. I understand by increasing the loft I effectively close the club face. My normal shape is a slight to mid draw. I worry that it might accentuate it and it'll slowly start to turn into a hook. I appreciate any feedback! Thank you MGS fam! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

As you mention the face angle is going to close and the chances of the ball going further left are there and you may end up compensating for that on the swing to avoid it and who knows how well that will end up.

Things to consider:

1) what do you use your 3w for?

most people use a 3w as purely distance off the fairway and a second tee option.

2) how effective at what you use it for are you?

3) why the interest in a 16.5?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As you mention the face angle is going to close and the chances of the ball going further left are there and you may end up compensating for that on the swing to avoid it and who knows how well that will end up.

Things to consider:

1) what do you use your 3w for?

most people use a 3w as purely distance off the fairway and a second tee option.

2) how effective at what you use it for are you?

3) why the interest in a 16.5?

Thank you for the reply! I fit the demographic of distance off fairway and second tee option. I consider my 3 wood the best club in my bag. I have a great deal of confidence with my 3 wood. I tried my 16.5 on my 15 yesterday and i definitely like the ball flight and how much easier it was to stop on the green. But as you mentioned I am concerned that I would be compensating more than i need to in the event my draw turns into a hook. I managed to hit the simulator just now and here are the numbers between the 15 and 16.5! Thanks again!

IMG_0288.jpeg

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

21 minutes ago, PingMD702 said:

Thank you for the reply! I fit the demographic of distance off fairway and second tee option. I consider my 3 wood the best club in my bag. I have a great deal of confidence with my 3 wood. I tried my 16.5 on my 15 yesterday and i definitely like the ball flight and how much easier it was to stop on the green. But as you mentioned I am concerned that I would be compensating more than i need to in the event my draw turns into a hook. I managed to hit the simulator just now and here are the numbers between the 15 and 16.5! Thanks again!

IMG_0288.jpeg

So based on how you use it and your confidence with it lets me know you aren’t trying to fit a gap between the 7w and driver.

The launch monitor data saves some additional time and thoughts. It also gets to a point I’ve talked about in other threads when people are trying to find a club off the deck and why a higher lifted wood especially as swing speeds slow is usually a better option. When we look at launch, spin and standard deviation you are better with the 16.5 you are more consistent and you don’t sacrifice distance.

I would easily go with the 16.5 if I were you.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Similar distance with the 16.5 but higher launch angle and guessing higher peak height and descent angle.  I would wager you are more likely to hold a green with that too.

Plus if you are getting a new one at used pricing it's pretty likely you could just test it for a while on the course and if you decide to keep the 15 you can sell the 16.5 and break even.  

I vote buy it 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

So based on how you use it and your confidence with it lets me know you aren’t trying to fit a gap between the 7w and driver.

The launch monitor data saves some additional time and thoughts. It also gets to a point I’ve talked about in other threads when people are trying to find a club off the deck and why a higher lifted wood especially as swing speeds slow is usually a better option. When we look at launch, spin and standard deviation you are better with the 16.5 you are more consistent and you don’t sacrifice distance.

I would easily go with the 16.5 if I were you.

I will make the switch to the 16.5. I am leaning towards getting the 16.5 head so there's no adjustments necessary. In your opinion, is it safer to get a higher lofted head and if I want to drop it down or just stick with the 15 I have now? 

4 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Similar distance with the 16.5 but higher launch angle and guessing higher peak height and descent angle.  I would wager you are more likely to hold a green with that too.

Plus if you are getting a new one at used pricing it's pretty likely you could just test it for a while on the course and if you decide to keep the 15 you can sell the 16.5 and break even.  

I vote buy it 🙂

I like where your heads at HAHAH! 

3 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

I will make the switch to the 16.5. I am leaning towards getting the 16.5 head so there's no adjustments necessary. In your opinion, is it safer to get a higher lofted head and if I want to drop it down or just stick with the 15 I have now? 

I would make the switch to the 16.5.

Changing loft as discussed runs the risk of more draw movement and possibly hooking the ball and the possibility that you compensate for this in your swing either before you swing the club or as a result of the ball flight you see from it.

There’s also a good chance it changes the the overall ball flight from launch and spin which amy not get you the desired results. Also changing the loft is typically done to achieve a certain ball flight whether it’s to help a ball more right or left based on a persons miss, change spin and launch to better fit a persons swing or to fill a gap. With the 3w you are using it to fill a gap since it’s a distance club only for you so there’s no need to turn it down. Going with the 16.5 is killing two birds with one stone. 1) you get a better and more consistent ball flight 2) you will have a better chance of holding greens from it. The added bonus is you don’t lose distance