Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Low-key GOAT DI?

Played with a DI/Utility for the first time this season.  Started with the Exotics CBX Iron-Wood 19* with the stock hzrdus black 6.0 85g shaft.  Absolutely loved it other than the ball flight being a touch high on stock shots.  It was very workable though and I could hit it high and low (but not super low) when needed.  Easy to draw/fade on command as well.  During the season I sold the Iron-wood and switched to the 2017 P790 2 iron and then to the SIM UDI 2 iron.  Both flew lower, but seemed less workable in terms of high shots and draw/fades.   I finished out the season with a Epic Flash hybrid because I needed something to stick on greens from 230-240 and neither the P790 or SIM UDI were doing it for me (and I couldn't find any Iron-Woods for sale).  Problem with the epic flash hybrid (and hybrids in general for me) is the left-miss.  I found myself purposefully having to try to hit fades just to keep it straight.  

Been reading about the Srixon ZXU and saw it won the most wanted Utility 2021 title.  Sadly the Exotics CBX Iron-Wood has never been reviewed by MGS.  Independent golf reviews has reviewed both the ZXU and the iron-wood though and their flightscope numbers are very similar except for the higher ballspeed with the Iron-Wood.  

Has anyone else gamed the Iron-Wood utility?  Still gaming it?  

https://www.independentgolfreviews.com/srixon-zx-utility-iron/

https://www.independentgolfreviews.com/tour-edge-exotics-cbx-iron-wood/

36 minutes ago, allshanks said:

Played with a DI/Utility for the first time this season.  Started with the Exotics CBX Iron-Wood 19* with the stock hzrdus black 6.0 85g shaft.  Absolutely loved it other than the ball flight being a touch high on stock shots.  It was very workable though and I could hit it high and low (but not super low) when needed.  Easy to draw/fade on command as well.  During the season I sold the Iron-wood and switched to the 2017 P790 2 iron and then to the SIM UDI 2 iron.  Both flew lower, but seemed less workable in terms of high shots and draw/fades.   I finished out the season with a Epic Flash hybrid because I needed something to stick on greens from 230-240 and neither the P790 or SIM UDI were doing it for me (and I couldn't find any Iron-Woods for sale).  Problem with the epic flash hybrid (and hybrids in general for me) is the left-miss.  I found myself purposefully having to try to hit fades just to keep it straight.  

Been reading about the Srixon ZXU and saw it won the most wanted Utility 2021 title.  Sadly the Exotics CBX Iron-Wood has never been reviewed by MGS.  Independent golf reviews has reviewed both the ZXU and the iron-wood though and their flightscope numbers are very similar except for the higher ballspeed with the Iron-Wood.  

Has anyone else gamed the Iron-Wood utility?  Still gaming it?  

https://www.independentgolfreviews.com/srixon-zx-utility-iron/

https://www.independentgolfreviews.com/tour-edge-exotics-cbx-iron-wood/

Add on to the Srixon DI comment- I follow a few people that cover the Korn Ferry Tour, one caddy said that his player's 2, 18* DI is his most valuable club. This player doesn't carry a wood and hits it 250 on non driver holes and much straighter than a wood. Probably not for everyone but thought it was worth noting

22 minutes ago, Londo said:

Add on to the Srixon DI comment- I follow a few people that cover the Korn Ferry Tour, one caddy said that his player's 2, 18* DI is his most valuable club. This player doesn't carry a wood and hits it 250 on non driver holes and much straighter than a wood. Probably not for everyone but thought it was worth noting

I'd be willing to bet that most higher swing speed players would be better off doing the same.  My average driver (9*) carry and total distance is not much more than my average 3W (14.5*) carry and total distance because of much higher consistency of strike with 3W.  The enjoyment I get out of flushing a driver though is worth it to keep in the bag.  If my short-game was good enough to utilize a fifth wedge (currently carry 46, 50, 54, 60) I would consider getting rid of my driver and just carry 3W and 18/19* DI at the top of the bag.  I just don't think I have the hands to manufacture different shots that make a fifth wedge beneficial.

The guys I play with the most score in the 90s with multiple mulligans and foot-wedges each round and I definitely think they would benefit from losing the driver and just hitting a more reliable club to get in the fairway.  They live for the 210-220y straight drive they get once a round though... even though that means the other 13 drives OB or chunked/topped <100 yards.  

Edited by allshanks
20 hours ago, allshanks said:

I'd be willing to bet that most higher swing speed players would be better off doing the same.  My average driver (9*) carry and total distance is not much more than my average 3W (14.5*) carry and total distance because of much higher consistency of strike with 3W.  The enjoyment I get out of flushing a driver though is worth it to keep in the bag.  If my short-game was good enough to utilize a fifth wedge (currently carry 46, 50, 54, 60) I would consider getting rid of my driver and just carry 3W and 18/19* DI at the top of the bag.  I just don't think I have the hands to manufacture different shots that make a fifth wedge beneficial.

The guys I play with the most score in the 90s with multiple mulligans and foot-wedges each round and I definitely think they would benefit from losing the driver and just hitting a more reliable club to get in the fairway.  They live for the 210-220y straight drive they get once a round though... even though that means the other 13 drives OB or chunked/topped <100 yards.  

Most people hit driver far better than 3 wood because the driver is over 2X bigger and more forgiving. If your 3W and driver are close in terms of distance it means you either hit down on the ball too much with driver or it is poorly fit (probably both). People who are topping multiple drives per round need to take some lessons and learn how to hit a driver. They'll top a bunch of 3 woods if they hit them on every long hole. The top 100 teacher summit is in Pinehurst this week and 3W was chosen as the club most people should NOT play.  A good driving iron is a huge benefit with the reduced gear effect on a flat face club. 

I would think about wedge game completely opposite: if you have the hands to manufacture shots, 4 wedges in more than enough. If you could hit 3-4 shots with each wedge it would easily fill the gap of the 5th wedge which might get used 1x per round. If someone can only hit 1 stock chip with a wedge, an extra club could be helpful for a certain yardage or trajectory. I'm sure 1 of your 4 wedges gets much less use than the others. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I went the DI route when I struggled with driver. Granted I tried it during the rainy season here. Unless you have the SS to carry it a good ways it might not be as useful as you think. Sure I hit way more fairways but I was 30-50 yards farther away than with my driver. That’s the difference of a 4i vs an 8i into a green for me. YMMV

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I find this topic interesting as I always lust after a good driving iron...for no apparent reason. Here in Nashville, we don't get too much wind and courses rarely play firm and fast. As such, carry distance is typically more valuable and I would say one of the best (if not the best) club in my bag is my single length 4 hybrid. I use it on tight tee shots and off the fairway. I feel like a driving iron would only be for tee shots and may/may not ever be used off the turf (especially what I envision which is like a 17-18* DI). But I see very good players use them and make them look easy. Basically what I say I want out of a DI I feel like I already have in my hybrid with the added benefit of it having more spin and being able to hold greens. The only advantage a DI could have is if I could carry it say 215-220 yds where I currently carry my 20* 7 iron length hybrid about 195-205. That would be assuming the same dispersion. 

This might be a good use of the Trackman my coach has. Tracking carry distance and dispersion in a few DIs vs my 4 hybrid. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832