Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The next generation of golfers will never.....?

RoverRick

I read the post about the old geezors sitting around talking about banning the long putters because they could be used as a crutch to brace yourself in the wind. Then I went out to the course to practice with my long putter because dispite the fact that they are so much easier to use that they should be illegal, I still putted like crap last weekend. In the article it said that the R&A were wanting to ban because they fear a whole generation of golfers will never know about the short putter.

B---S---

But I began to ponder on the future generation, the current generation, and (I hate to admit it) my generation of golfer have missed because the R&A have failed to act sooner. Some of you may have had the "privilege" to experience these things and hopefully, you will pass this on to the under-privileged youths so they too can enjoy the beauty of the game as OLD TOM did.

1. Push type lawn mower. (no motor)

2. Wooden Shafted Golf Clubs.

3. Fairway woods made from wood. (who would have thunk of that)

4. Feathery golf balls.

5. gutta percha golf balls.

6. Balata golf balls.

7. Blades only.

8. The 2 wood.

9. The 1 iron.

10. The 2 iron.

11. The 3 iron. (These are still availible so stock up now.)

12. The 3 wheeled golf cart.

13. Leather grips.

14. Knickers.

15. Country clubs for white MEN only.

16. Yardage markers on sprinkler heads. No GPS.

17. Clubs with names, like Mashie, Brassie, Nibblet, etc.

And according to the R&A and USGA, the short putter are not far behind if they do not intervene.

That is all I can think of right now. What golf tradition or equipment are you not sad that it is gone?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Sub 200cc drivers. My Ping Eye 2 one iron was easier to hit than my Taylor Made Pittsburgh Persimmon driver. My 5 year old has a larger head on his driver than I had in college. I do sometimes miss having a steel shafted driver :)

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

And yet nothing you mentioned alters the way the stroke is made traditionally when technologically advanced. The crutches will be illegal soon enough and golf will go back to being golf instead of shuffleboard. Several companies also specialize in leather grips, and I still own several 2 irons and a 1 iron.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

And yet nothing you mentioned alters the way the stroke is made traditionally when technologically advanced. The crutches will be illegal soon enough and golf will go back to being golf instead of shuffleboard. Several companies also specialize in leather grips, and I still own several 2 irons and a 1 iron.

I miss my one iron.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Square Grooves??

Metal Spikes?

In the bag:

Adams Insight tech A4 matrix ozik x80

Titleist 906f4 15.5

Adams Pro Gold 21

Ping i15 3 & 4 Iron

Ping s56 5-P

Vokey Custom TVD 55 & 61

Scotty Cameron 009 Tour Black Pearl

Titleist PROV1

LOL the only things I know from your list are:

3 irons, 3-wheel golf cart and yardage markers.

:lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

How could I forget metal spikes? When I was in college, a couple of us crashed his neighbors party, and, I swear this is true, there was a very pretty blonde tap dancing on the coffee table wearing only a pair of golf spikes. We thought it was our kind of party but we were wrong. Shortly there after we went to one of the rooms and they had taken the mirror off of the wall and laid it on the bed and had a pile of white powder on it. We decided to get a couple of more beers and retreat to the balcony next door and that is where we were when the cops came. But I will never forget the golf spikes, the scarred table and of course the blonde.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Yardages on sprinkler heads only? I'm not that old (52) and I remember serious heated debates about whether 100 and 150 yard stakes should be legal. And sadly, one thing I'd add to your list is sub-3 hour rounds, not to mention 4 hours.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I miss Balatas

How about golf carts with no roofs?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Yardages on sprinkler heads only? I'm not that old (52) and I remember serious heated debates about whether 100 and 150 yard stakes should be legal. And sadly, one thing I'd add to your list is sub-3 hour rounds, not to mention 4 hours.

HA! I hope not. The kids just have to be taught to wake up really early and be the first group off the tee.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Metal spikes the greatest sound walking across teh clubhouse car park to the first tee. Our club has a softspike only rule but whenever I hear a guy wearing Metals it reminds me of teh good old junior days (except when someone steps back and drags their foot across the top of your new driver)

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

I am old enough to remember metal spikes. I was asked by a client of mine a few years ago to play in their annual corporate outing since it was at my home club and let's just say that 95% of the people there were only present for the beer and open bar. I got in my cart and headed out to the 16th tee to start my round and one of the guys in the group was wearing metal spikes......just not the type you would paly golf in. He was wearing his metal Nikes from his college baseball days. Let's just say it was a little uncomfortable for the rest of the round after I told him to go put regular shoes on or buy a pair of spikes in the pro shop.

WITB 2024

I'd love to see the sub 4 hour round come back, much less the 3 hour round. I've played 9 holes that have taken 3 hours before. Course that has to do with the course management and marshalling. They're packing tee times tighter than they used to and overpopulating the course is part of the reason. I can remember when there were 15 minutes between tee times, now it's somewhere around 8 minutes. That's part of the problem.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I read the post about the old geezors sitting around talking about banning the long putters because they could be used as a crutch to brace yourself in the wind. Then I went out to the course to practice with my long putter because dispite the fact that they are so much easier to use that they should be illegal, I still putted like crap last weekend. In the article it said that the R&A were wanting to ban because they fear a whole generation of golfers will never know about the short putter.

B---S---

But I began to ponder on the future generation, the current generation, and (I hate to admit it) my generation of golfer have missed because the R&A have failed to act sooner. Some of you may have had the "privilege" to experience these things and hopefully, you will pass this on to the under-privileged youths so they too can enjoy the beauty of the game as OLD TOM did.

1. Push type lawn mower. (no motor)

2. Wooden Shafted Golf Clubs.

3. Fairway woods made from wood. (who would have thunk of that)

4. Feathery golf balls.

5. gutta percha golf balls.

6. Balata golf balls.

7. Blades only.

8. The 2 wood.

9. The 1 iron.

10. The 2 iron.

11. The 3 iron. (These are still availible so stock up now.)

12. The 3 wheeled golf cart.

13. Leather grips.

14. Knickers.

15. Country clubs for white MEN only.

17. Clubs with names, like Mashie, Brassie, Nibblet, etc.

And according to the R&A and USGA, the short putter are not far behind if they do not intervene.

That is all I can think of right now. What golf tradition or equipment are you not sad that it is gone?

I have to go with 6,7,9,10,11 and 12 I will add one also the sting on a cool morning when you mishit 9,10 or 11 and stories of thrills and spills on 3 wheel golf carts i could start another thread on. As far as #7 that is what I still play

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I miss Balatas

How about golf carts with no roofs?

I miss the balatas also. I still have quite a few balatas Maxfli HT-100s to be exact. I have a little fun on a tourist type par 3 course down here in the summer with them sometimes when i am kicking around at night

I will play the balatas I put a lot of spin on the ball anyhow with wedges because I hit a trap cut. i will play some of those balls I know where to hit it on the backstop of those greens and really spin it. These tourist golfers will really look and i will also be playing one of my vintage sand wedges. I have heard comments like these illegial square groove wedges will really spin a ball. When i show them a vintage wedge say a Spalding or Macgregor it blows their minds. No one has figgured it out yet. When i am out doing this I am just doing it for kicks and giggles and watch people's reaction I may be a showoff but it is a lot of fun for me. As far as golf carts with no roofs you would BBQ down here in the summer trust me thank God and Ez-Go for cart roofs I dont miss "topless" golf carts a bit

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sad to say, I can only remember one on the list...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Archived