Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tell Us Your Best Golf Story

GolfSpy SAM

The Hole-in-One Quest

In the tranquil town of Fairview Greens, nestled between rolling hills and serene lakes, there stood a golf course that had seen its fair share of legends and tales. Among these, one story stood out—the remarkable journey of young Alex Mitchell and his quest for the elusive hole-in-one.

Alex was an average teenager with an extraordinary passion for golf. Every weekend, rain or shine, he could be found on the Fairview Greens Golf Course, tirelessly perfecting his swing and honing his skills. His friends often teased him, saying he was chasing an impossible dream, but Alex remained undeterred. He believed in the power of dedication and the magic of the game.

One sunny morning, as the first rays of dawn painted the sky in hues of gold, Alex arrived at the course with a glint of determination in his eyes. That day, he had a feeling that something extraordinary was about to happen. As he teed up on the first hole, a gentle breeze whispered promises of greatness.

Hole after hole, Alex's shots were impeccable, landing closer to the pin with each swing. His friends watched in awe as he navigated the course with a mix of skill and intuition. As they reached the legendary 9th hole, known for its challenging layout and elusive pin placement, Alex's heart raced. This was his moment—the culmination of years of practice and unwavering belief.

With a deep breath, Alex swung his club, sending the ball soaring through the air. It bounced once, twice, and then—miraculously—rolled straight into the cup. The crowd erupted in cheers, his friends hollering with joy. Alex had done it—he had achieved the elusive hole-in-one, a feat many golfers only dreamt of.

News of Alex's incredible achievement spread like wildfire throughout Fairview Greens and beyond. Local newspapers featured his story, and golf enthusiasts marveled at his dedication and skill. But for Alex, it wasn't just about the shot—it was about the journey, the hours spent perfecting his craft, and the unwavering belief in his abilities.

As time passed, Alex's story became a beacon of inspiration for aspiring golfers. He was invited to speak at events, sharing his journey and motivating others to pursue their dreams with the same fervor. The hole-in-one became a symbol of possibility, reminding everyone that with dedication, perseverance, and a touch of magic, anything was achievable.

Fairview Greens Golf Course, once known for its legends, now had a new legend to add to its storied history. And every time golfers stood on the 9th hole, they would remember the tale of Alex Mitchell—the young dreamer who turned his passion into reality and proved that sometimes, a little bit of belief could make the impossible come true.

Edited by Rita99

545 yard dog right with I 95 straight ahead,playing with nephew who is 32 6’3” 260, 30 “ waist,  crushed drive but it went straight, ball had Mickey Mouse on it very distinctive and only one he had, hit provisional pro v  we play the hole to the green and notice a ball by the pin.  Yup  it was Mickey  mouse with big tire mark on it . Taps it in for a 2  must have pinched under a truck tire and squirted back on. Course , it was amazing

M W Moe

In October 2019 I was playing with my buddy and made a hole in one.  He was on the phone when it went in, which was a little annoying. Fast forward to December of 2019.  Playing with the same friend, he hits his tee shot to 4 feet.  I tell him, "I can get inside that."  That got his attention.  I then proceed to knock it in the hole.  He definitely saw that one.

David Staller

So many great stories, hole in one, stinger off tee to deliberately hit a gator on the fairway for $100 bet (it didn’t even flinch), hook into woods and 4 seconds later ball pops out onto the fringe of green (to this day no one understands how that happened), the double sandy according to my friend (tee box to fairway bunker to green side bunker to holed out for birdie), the pouring rain on Pinehurst #4 with “rivers” flowing across the green and we continued to play like the priest in caddyshack, the 50 yard chip in for eagle, the golf trips with the boys, the member guests, and finally the beer 18 where you take your score and subtract the number of beers you drank to see who won. 

Edited by Shinnman

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

Meeting Jon Gruden at Avila Country Club before he went out with his young kids when he was coach of the Bucs and then on the 3rd hole meeting the Crime Dog (Fred McGriff).  Too bad Yankees season was going on as might have seen Posada and Jeter as well as they used to live on the course too.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

I just found this thread, and read a lot of great stories so I'll share one of mine. 

I was playing in a scramble tournament, where you got to form your own team, and the team I ended up on had a grand total handicap of about 11 and 7 of that 11 was me. We finished at -19 and one other team also finished at -19 so after the scorecard playoff was also a tie, they decided to have a putt-off. They set up a putt on the practice green that was about 75 feet or so and about 20 feet of break in it, and we won the coin flip so Matt volunteers to putt first for our team. They won't let any of the other 7 players watch him putt but dang if he didn't hole the putt! Now the other team has to go one at a time and they still won't let us watch, just in case they make it and we have to go and see who is second closest. Their closest putt was some 12 feet away so we won and all we got for our trouble - besides the thrill of winning - was a $50 gift card to the pro shop. 

I didn't find anything in the pro shop to buy so I saved mine to come back and play that course later, and danged if it didn't get purchased a month or so later and go private. This was in 1998, btw, and I found that stupid worthless gift card in my desk recently when I cleaned it out. 

Fun times, and btw, I had a hole-out from about 45 yards on one of the par 5's for one of our two eagles. Both teams eagled the same two par 5's and we both bogeyed a 240 yard par 3. But you already knew that from the score-card playoff being a tie, I just wanted to explain why it was -19 and not -20.

Glen

WITB 2023

PING G425 MAX Driver, Srixon ZX 5 wood, PING G410 7 wood, Callaway BIG BERTHA B21 4-hybrid, PING G430 5-Hybrid, Callaway BIG BERTHA B21 6-hybrid, Maltby TS3 7-8 irons, Callaway Apex 19  9-iron, PW, SW, LW, and Mizuno M-Craft 2 Putter

• 3 weeks later...

Remember Steph Curry at American Century Championship - hole in one?

I also made a hole in one on the same hole. 

And that, folks, is where the similarity between Steph Curry and I ends.

I didn’t even run down the fairway! It was however with my two sons and husband as we were on a trip to celebrate my husband’s retirement. It was during Covid so all we could was golf! 

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_1169.jpeg

Texas golfer always looking to execute the next shot. 2 Aces!

40 minutes ago, K8golfer said:

Remember Steph Curry at American Century Championship - hole in one?

I also made a hole in one on the same hole. 

And that, folks, is where the similarity between Steph Curry and I ends.

I didn’t even run down the fairway! It was however with my two sons and husband as we were on a trip to celebrate my husband’s retirement. It was during Covid so all we could was golf! 

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_1169.jpeg

Can I just call you Steph? 😉 That's AWESOME!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Here's one:

Years back I'm out golfing with my BIL and father at the local course. It was my first time playing with my new Mizuno clubs. Irons and driver anyways. I think it was hole 13; a tee box with about 75 yards of water to carry before the fairway. 

So when I tee off, something feels way off. My brand new driver head had snapped at the hosel and was now flying straight into the drink. Like it was in slo-mo, I'm watching my $450 brand spanking new driver head land about 15 yards into the water. Shoot. 

Now I don't know if it was the club construction or the ball strike. I retain that there's no way I hit it THAT bad. (Iunno, it was a long time ago) But I do know how it's going to look if I go back to the shop I bought the driver at with a broken shaft and no club head asking for a replacement.... So I gotta get that head back. 

Driver heads float ya know. So there's a chance. I'm looking in the woods for downed branches that are long enough, throwing giant stones in the pond attempting to make enough riple to move it, and letting groups play through as my family is getting annoyed. 

RIght as I'm about to throw in the towel, we see the head budge ever so slightly. Just barely. Then again in the same direction. We bring out the Bushnell and there's our savior, a tiny turtle just nipping at the head. Over and again. I bet it takes about 5 minutes but that little dude nipped at and subsequently pushed that Mizuno head close enough to the shore for me to nab it with a club and secure it. 

With both pieces secure, I was able to get a replacement the same week. All thanks to the Turtle Bro. 

I still play there often. They've moved the box in front of the water in attempt to make that course easier (just let groups off further apart ya greedy jerks) but every time I pass by it, I pay tribute to my hero; Turtle Bro. 

I know how this story sounds but I swear it to be true and have 2 witnesses to back it up. 

Cheers

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

So I had some time to kill and since I’m local I went on an adventure to locate MyGolfSpy.  I meet a few of the great friendly staff and a tour of their facility and the future and some of the history.  Sorry I’m short on initial visits and remembering names but look forward to getting to seeing them again in the near future.

I’d like to say thank you to the staff for making me feel welcome.

Thank you

John

John

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just got home from playing in the Southern California Golfers Association four ball tournament. It’s a two day event in beautiful San Clemente. My partner and I felt really good about our chances. He’s been playing good and I recently bought new irons and had them dialed in. I’d been hitting almost as good as my glory days. On the first morning we got up, ate a good breakfast at the hotel and felt good walking out to the truck. As we get close we noticed something is wrong. Yep, the trifold bed lid had been popped. And as we check to see what happened we see my golf bag is missing. My partner’s are still there but my clubs are gone. Some rat had taken the time to remove head covers from both sets and find the ones they wanted. I was sick. I tallied my loss and it was roughly 5k. I mustered and on day 1, I played with rental clubs and we were in contention. Day 2, I used my partner’s set but together we shat the bed. Fingers crossed home ow era insurance will help me out. Lesson learned; always lug your stuff into the hotel room. Hell, give it a spot in the bed next to you.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 1:26 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

I'll start.  My dad told me this story when I was growing up, probably 40 times, and it never got old.

So my dad and his buddies are playing 18, and - as happens in the middle of a round, in Connecticut (lots of trees), one of the guys (let's call him Buddy) has to go to the bathroom.  My dad tells him the nearest bathroom isn't until they get back to the clubhouse, so just go in the trees.  Buddy seems concerned, but ambles off into the woods.  They're waiting on the tee, when they hear him yell "just go ahead and play and I'll catch up!"  

They tee off, and sure enough, a few minutes later, Buddy comes running back up the fairway.  "Everything okay back there?" my Dad asks.  Buddy says, "yeah, yeah...totally fine.  Let's just play."  So they finish the hole, and keep on going.

The next hole, however, as they get to the green (which is on the other side of the woods from where the tee box was on the previous hole), they can CLEARLY see a pair of underpants hanging from a branch in a tree.  

My Dad:  "Buddy - are those your...did you...what the hell happened?" 

Buddy: "What?  I didn't have any toilet paper."

It's so gross, and never fails to make me laugh, at the sheer panic that Buddy must have felt that somehow taking off the underwear to use as TP was his only logical choice.  So gross. 

I lost a perfectly good golf towel to a buddy doing the exact same thing.  Come to think of it ... he still owes me a fkg towel.  LOL

Snow Mexican

• 1 month later...

We have heard a lot of stories from members over the years, but what was your best golf story from this last season?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This past season I have had the opportunity to really get back in the game and have been able to play more than I have in a long while.  

So for me and my best golf story, it is just being able to finally play more.  

I have had some great rounds and some bad rounds but I get to play nearly every day.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

My favorite golf story from this season can be summed up by one picture…:)

IMG_0414.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I kinda want to hear a full recap (again) and play by play of @GolfSpy SAM first time breaking 80 round. The video is worth about 10k words, but I am sure he could maybe pair it down to 9998.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

A couple stories come to mind.

First, we were visiting friends in Massachusetts and playing a course either of us had played before.  We got paired up with two significantly younger guys (easy for us to say as we both are in our mid-60's).  The other two blast freakishly long drives down the first hole.  I get up and hit my typical 175 yard drive down the middle.  The rest of the round the two younger guys continued to blast the ball, but their drives and subsequent shots were all over the place.  Me, I was steady Eddy driving it consistently down the fairway, hitting my approaches, chips and putts.  Finally on 18, I stripped my last drive down the middle of the fairway.  Frustrated, one of the other younger golfers blurted out "Do you ever miss the fairway!?"  I turned around and confidently said "No."  

The second was is more of the most unusual golf thing I participated in this year andfrom the Lower Keys Golf Association championship this past January.  I got paired with three of my friends.  We are all range in handicaps from 12 to 24 (with two of us in the teens and the other two in the twenties).  This is a stroke play tournament, so every shot counts.  We get to our sixth hole, the number one handicap hole.  It's 410 yards, with water on the right, OB on the left and a narrow chute to hit through at about 220 yards out.  The severely back to front green makes it even tougher!  That day, all four of us were unusually on the green in three, but all anywhere from 65 to 40 feet away from the pin.  The mid 20 handicapper steps up and drains his 65-foot putt for a par (which he's done maybe twice in the last 16 years).  The remaining three of us then proceeded to make our very long putts for par.  When the last guy made his, we looked at each other in shock as it's unusual for the guys we play with to have one par in a foursome!  It was the first time any of us could remember that everyone in a foursome pared the hardest hole at the same time.   We thought for sure the tournament committee was going to have us pee in a cup and have it drug tested!

Maybe one more from that same tournament.  Because this was the organization's championship, there was no gimmies and everyone had to putt out each hole no matter what.  As you can expect, that lead to some high scores!  We had 47 golfers with handicaps from +2 to 41.  Over 50% of the field posted a net double or worse.  Of the scores posted, there were 74 sevens, 34 eights, 13 nines, 4 tens, 5 elevens and a nineteen!  The individual who posted the 19 did it on the 17th handicap par three hole.  I asked her how she managed to post a 19 on a par three (granted it's partially over water)?  She replied "I don't know?!"  Then she added "You'd think after I put five straight balls in the water off the tee,  I'd go back and get a different club!"

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Ok, so when I was. Junior at a very prestigious golf club in surrey, England, we had a junior organiser who was a real stickler for the old traditional ways of golf and could be very intimidating to us young guys, particularly my best friend who was a bit of a rogue. This junior organiser made vice captain and was very full of himself about his impending captaincy and very forthcoming regarding the draconian methods he would employ. The tradition at our club was for the previous captain at the end of his year to putt out on the 18th green and for the incoming captain to retrieve the ball from the hole and tee off on the first to symbolise the start of their captaincy. Can you imagine the surprise on the large crowd gathered around the 18th green when our nemesis put his hand in the hole to retrieve the ball the outgoing captain had successfully holed, only to pull out not only the ball, but a huge lump of human excrement that had been deposited there earlier that morning by my erstwhile chum. The modest ripple of applause turned to squeals of anguish and gasps of horror in the most amusing way…

WITB:

DRIVER; COBRA Darkspeed 9.0 DEGREE STIFF Lin-q WHITE 65 GRAMS

3 WOOD; Callaway Paradym Smoke AI 15 DEGREE STIFF TENSAI AV blue 70 GRAMS

HYBRID: CALLAWAY 24 APEX UW 19 DEGREE STIFF MMT 70 GRAMS

IRONS; 4-GW MIZUNO PRO 223 STIFF AEROFLEX STEELFIBER i110 CW

MID WEDGE; MIZUNO T22 BLUE ION 54/08 D GRIND SHAFT DG WEDGE

LOB WEDGE; MIZUNO T22 DENIM COPPER 60/06 X GRIND SHAFT DG S300

PUTTER; EDEL EAS 1.0

• 2 weeks later...

My best golf story was rather recent. In October I went to Scotland for my bucket list golf trip, 16 days (and now I want to go back in 2024!). I had been advised (correctly) that entering local tournaments was a hack to reduce the cost of the golf, and managed to snag a spot in the Urquhart Trophy tournament at Royal Dornoch, their last tournament of the year. Entry was 75 pounds including breakfast and lunch; rack rate would have been 250 pounds that day.

So tournament day dawns cold, wet and extremely windy, 30+ mph with gusts to 40. I get an email from the pro at Dornoch that the tournament was cancelled because of the weather, but the course was open, and anyone crazy enough to play could still play, and get breakfast and lunch in the clubhouse as well. So I emailed back that I was coming. I think I was the only one of the 56 entries who actually played; the course was empty except for a couple of members in front of me with their dog. The first 8 holes were dead upwind; my tee shot on #2 was slapped down and stopped on the 17th green. I dropped off the green and pitched over to take my double-bogey 5. Then at #9, normally a par 5, I turned downwind. Because of standing water in the fairway, they had reduced it to a short par 4, but even then sea foam had blown up off the ocean onto the fairway, and I lost a ball in the sea foam. Then I got to #10, par 3 with five pot bunkers around the green, playing 142. I can't hit an 8-iron 142, but I decided maybe with that hurricane behind me I could. So I made my swing, the ball headed straight for the front bunker and I was sure I was going into the sand. But it carried over the bunker by a foot or two, rolled up on the green and stopped 12 feet from the hole, and I made the putt for birdie.

Finished the round (I shot 102 due to big numbers on the first 8 holes) and went in the clubhouse to dry off. Told somebody I'd birdied 10 and the response was "how did you get the ball to stop on that green in this wind?" My answer: "I have no idea." Then I went up to the restaurant to get lunch, and told them I was with the tournament group. The server, whose name was Patricia, looked at me and said "Did you play golf?" Yes, I did. "Are you nuts?" Yes, yes I am. I've thought about writing a book about my other adventures on this trip, of which there were many, and if I do, Patricia gave me the title: "Are You Nuts?"

Below is the view from the clubhouse shortly after my conversation with Patricia, and a shot of the 10th green in much better weather; the bunker front and center is the one I barely carried.

dornochrain.jpg

Dornoch10.jpg

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

1 hour ago, ILMgolfnut said:

My best golf story was rather recent. In October I went to Scotland for my bucket list golf trip, 16 days (and now I want to go back in 2024!). I had been advised (correctly) that entering local tournaments was a hack to reduce the cost of the golf, and managed to snag a spot in the Urquhart Trophy tournament at Royal Dornoch, their last tournament of the year. Entry was 75 pounds including breakfast and lunch; rack rate would have been 250 pounds that day.

So tournament day dawns cold, wet and extremely windy, 30+ mph with gusts to 40. I get an email from the pro at Dornoch that the tournament was cancelled because of the weather, but the course was open, and anyone crazy enough to play could still play, and get breakfast and lunch in the clubhouse as well. So I emailed back that I was coming. I think I was the only one of the 56 entries who actually played; the course was empty except for a couple of members in front of me with their dog. The first 8 holes were dead upwind; my tee shot on #2 was slapped down and stopped on the 17th green. I dropped off the green and pitched over to take my 5. Then at #9, normally a par 5, I turned downwind. Because of standing water in the fairway, they had reduced it to a short par 4, but even then sea foam had blown up off the ocean onto the fairway, and I lost a ball in the sea foam. Then I got to #10, par 3 with five pot bunkers around the green, playing 142. I can't hit an 8-iron 142, but I decided maybe with that hurricane behind me I could. So I made my swing, the ball headed straight for the front bunker and I was sure I was going into the sand. But it carried over the bunker by a foot or two, rolled up on the green and stopped 12 feet from the hole, and I made the putt for birdie.

Finished the round (I shot 102 due to big numbers on the first 8 holes) and went in the clubhouse to dry off. Told somebody I'd birdied 10 and the response was "how did you get the ball to stop on that green in this wind?" My answer: "I have no idea." Then I went up to the restaurant to get lunch, and told them I was with the tournament group. The server, whose name was Patricia, looked at me and said "Did you play golf?" Yes, I did. "Are you nuts?" Yes, yes I am. I've thought about writing a book about my other adventures on this trip, of which there were many, and if I do, Patricia gave me the title: "Are You Nuts?"

Below is the view from the clubhouse shortly after my conversation with Patricia, and a shot of the 10th green in much better weather; the bunker front and center is the one I barely carried.

dornochrain.jpg

Dornoch10.jpg

Oh my god I LOVE THIS STORY! Thank you so much for sharing, and I would absolutely encourage you to write that book!  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

2 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

I would absolutely encourage you to write that book!  

I'm leaning that way! One more story that isn't necessarily golf but will be in the book if it gets written. On the last full day of the trip, I played Shiskine, a wonderfully quirky 12-hole course (par 42) on the Isle of Arran. The only way to get to/from Arran is by air or ferry, and since I don't have a plane, I tried to get on the 2:30 pm ferry back to the mainland, but I was two cars too far back in the standby line. So I waited around for the 5:15 ferry, where I had a guaranteed spot, made that ferry and the hour-long trip to Ardrossan on the mainland. It was completely dark by 5:15, and I hate driving in the dark, but I had a reservation at an airport hotel at Edinburgh and a morning flight back to JFK the next day, so I had no choice but to drive the 70-odd miles from Ardrossan to the hotel.

Having had my cellphone stolen in St. Andrews on the second day of the trip (another story for the book), I was fortunate that my rental car came with GPS, and I used it extensively. Most of the time it worked great, but when it didn't... This was one of the didn't times. A few miles east of Ardrossan, the GPS told me to make a left turn off the highway in the middle of nowhere. To my everlasting regret, I complied. The turn was onto a one lane mud-and-grass cattle path with high weeds on both sides; getting stuck out there was a distinct possibility and there would have been no way to turn around. I stayed on that road for what seemed like forever, but was probably a mile or so, praying all the way that I didn't get stuck, and I felt plenty of wheel spin along the way. About 200 yards from the end, there was a metal gate across the cattle path; if it had been locked, I would have been absolutely screwed. Fortunately it wasn't locked, I opened it, drove through, negotiated the last few yards to the next highway and finally got to my hotel in Edinburgh.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

Today!  Today is my best golf story!

My 22yo son, who has never swung a golf club befire today (other than at putt putt mini golf), crushed it today on the greens and at chipping under 20 yards! He never 3 putted one time! And he had 5 , yes 5, 1 putt sinkers, including 2 outside 20 feet!

Now the driving and fairways, that's another story, but boy did we have FUN today.

So that's my best golfing story!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

My best golf story was a day with my grandpa when I was around 15. My grandpa got me into golf at a young age and we would always play the local 9-holer when I stayed with them on the weekends. The third hole was a 190 yard par three but it was a big downhill hole that played closer to 160. The tricky part was the hole was near impossible to land on the green and hold as it hold a pretty significant slope from right to left. The best approach was landing about 20-30 feet right of the green and letting it bounce onto the green. Well, one day while playing with my grandpa and a friend of his, I managed to land it gently about 15’ right of the green and we watched it trickle onto the green and then into the cup for a hole-in-one. I’ve made two, both when I was in high school, but this one was the best since my grandpa was able to witness it. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Todays best golfing story part 2 (for some reason it wouldn't let me edit to add pics) 20231220_164418.jpg.bb4b820447beb3ca337865d7e6510d26.jpg20231220_164336.jpg.84bdd63ac65de82a71c52f52a22ceb11.jpg

20231220_164622.jpg.3a3d79cd12bec5ff39b1b869be3e96eb.jpg20231220_144346.jpg.18710a24d2919fb38a6d805f019b81f8.jpg20231220_155758.jpg.2fbc33bd18b2e403b465d95d6ede8be4.jpg

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 9:45 PM, Dave Gignac said:

I made a hole in one this past Thursday on the 8th hole par three at my home course in London ON. The hole was playing 152 yards and I hit a really nice 8 iron with a tiny draw that landed in the center of the green and spun hard left toward the hole. because of the pin placement behind a bunker on this slightly elevated green none of us could actually see the ball go in the hole but it was obvious to all of us it was going to be close. Then suddenly the group on the next tee all started yelling and waving single index fingers at us and applauding. 

image.png.e9de67abaa905c47462847b8c743ce69.pngimage.png.e9de67abaa905c47462847b8c743ce69.pngimage.png.b7600b7df98b46db9e9f782d8de4785c.png

It seems at the age of 49 I have just learnt that the Canadian London also has a Thames Valley... and presumably, therefore, a river Thames? I mean to say, I've never really dug into Canadian geography much but that did surprise me a little. LOL.

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

Minnesota golf is great, but weather can play a major factor in determining how long our season will be.  So far this year, we've had an uncharacteristically warm winter with highs in the lower 40s during the day and lows below freezing at night.  So what does every reasonable Minnesotan do if there's no snow in December?  They make a tee time. 

We were playing just before Christmas on a warm 42 degree day.  The sun was shining, while the ponds had just enough ice to create a frozen glaze.  There was not yet enough layers of ice for pond hockey, but there was just enough for the idiots to feel confident enough to walk on... 

We were on hole 10 and and my buddy fleeced a long drive right into what would have normally been wet.  Instead, the ball could be seen on an ice sheet peppered with lost golf balls that anyone with common sense had left there for fear of falling through.  Well that day, I was playing with one of those idiots who decided to go out on the ice... He finagled his way to his ball and ultimately took his second shot on the par four.  To everyone's surprise... my buddy holes out from about 80 yards on the ice for Eagle.  We were stunned and it was easily the best golf shot I had ever seen in person.  A summer 6 turns into a winter 2 on the scoresheet because my buddy had the cahoones to go after his ball! 

Afterwards, we were lamenting that none of us caught that moment on camera while heading to the next tee box.  The guys on the next tee over overheard our gripes mixed in with our celebrations and yelled over, "We caught that on video!  We were hoping you would fall through!"  He survived hole 10 from the thin ice for what easily became his best moment as a golfer.  He went on to beat us all that day in stroke play, but we all got the last laugh as he tempted fate again on hole 18 and ultimately wasn't so lucky; he fell through up to his knees and had to drive home with wet pants.  

All in all, it was a fun day.  But I still wouldn't advise going out on thin ice to find your ball, even if that means you have the potential for an eagle....

Edited by MN.LeftyGolfer

Swing Easy,

Dan

MN.LeftyGolfer

Instagram : @MN.LeftyGolfer

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.59.16 PM.png

On 1/6/2024 at 8:26 AM, MN.LeftyGolfer said:

Minnesota golf is great, but weather can play a major factor in determining how long our season will be.  So far this year, we've had an uncharacteristically warm winter with highs in the lower 40s during the day and lows below freezing at night.  So what does every reasonable Minnesotan do if there's no snow in December?  They make a tee time. 

We were playing just before Christmas on a warm 42 degree day.  The sun was shining, while the ponds had just enough ice to create a frozen glaze.  There was not yet enough layers of ice for pond hockey, but there was just enough for the idiots to feel confident enough to walk on... 

We were on hole 10 and and my buddy fleeced a long drive right into what would have normally been wet.  Instead, the ball could be seen on an ice sheet peppered with lost golf balls that anyone with common sense had left there for fear of falling through.  Well that day, I was playing with one of those idiots who decided to go out on the ice... He finagled his way to his ball and ultimately took his second shot on the par four.  To everyone's surprise... my buddy holes out from about 80 yards on the ice for Eagle.  We were stunned and it was easily the best golf shot I had ever seen in person.  A summer 6 turns into a winter 2 on the scoresheet because my buddy had the cahoones to go after his ball! 

Afterwards, we were lamenting that none of us caught that moment on camera while heading to the next tee box.  The guys on the next tee over overheard our gripes mixed in with our celebrations and yelled over, "We caught that on video!  We were hoping you would fall through!"  He survived hole 10 from the thin ice for what easily became his best moment as a golfer.  He went on to beat us all that day in stroke play, but we all got the last laugh as he tempted fate again on hole 18 and ultimately wasn't so lucky; he fell through up to his knees and had to drive home with wet pants.  

All in all, it was a fun day.  But I still wouldn't advise going out on thin ice to find your ball, even if that means you have the potential for an eagle....

This is classic! Post the vid if you get a chance - I'd love to see that shot!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 1/7/2024 at 11:06 AM, GolfSpy SAM said:

This is classic! Post the vid if you get a chance - I'd love to see that shot!

The video doesn't do the story justice since it only catches his reaction.  I wish I would have had my camera out in time, as I was in perfect position to see him hit and watch it drop.

Swing Easy,

Dan

MN.LeftyGolfer

Instagram : @MN.LeftyGolfer

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.59.16 PM.png

About a year ago a couple friends and I went out to play. We knew the round was going to be wild when the group ahead of us were on the first tee and they were all playing pranks on each other when they were trying to swing. Cool, we have no problem as we aren't tour pros or even club champs. We like to go out and have fun. Well hole 6 comes up and they are on the tee, we pull up and start talking with them and it became a sevensome starting on that hole. We were making bets about anything and everything we could, but we were good about it as we played like a scramble format to keep pace of play up. the guys who didn't hit their driver far wouldn't hit on driver holes but all the par 3's we all hit. Anyhow, the last few holes got way more interesting. Hole 14 became the I challenge you hole where I got challenged to hit over water to the green instead of playing it safe. If I didn't make it I had to pay for a round in the club house. No problem, cause if I did he had to buy that round. Well I hit and we saw a splash. I resigned myself to the fact I'm going to be paying an extra 60 bucks for beers in about 45 minutes to an hour. we drive around and my ball had hoped out of the water and was sitting about 2 feet away from it. He was buying drinks. The next hole I challenged him to a double or nothing on a dog leg left hole. He could hit his driver and get it around the corner and not hit any limb he wouldn't have to buy the round, but if he hit and limb he had to buy two. This guy hit and the ball was headed for the smallest limb, but there was a variable no one took into account. A hawk was flying by holding a fish in it's talons. dude's ball hit the fish knocking it out of the hawk's grasp but avoiding trees and cutting the corner. Never in  my life have I seen that. Probably won't ever see that again.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4