Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

L.A.B. Putters - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the testers main posts in the links below!

@RoverRick TESTING POST

@McGolf TESTING POST

@pozzit TESTING POST

@Splatt TESTING POST

@Syks7 TESTING POST

@TSauer TESTING POST

Favorite Review?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which tester had your favorite overall review?

With my L.A.B. experiment I'm evidence that something isn't necessarily for everyone. I've played several rounds now with the MEZZ.1, trying many different grip methods and other things. Also watching all the drills to help etc. And I've still not arrived at a point where I feel like the putter is completely natural and working for me.

Putting has always been a strength for me. But like many on here I'm a gear nerd and had to experience it for myself anyway. But really where I'm at now is a checkpoint moment, where you have to think if you're having to work at all hard to accomodate something it's probably not your thing. To prove that to myself I took out the previous Phantom X 5.5 and confidence was immediately higher, and also statistically based up with Arccos data.

Love the look, the feel, the bag appeal. But it's days in my possession may be numbered.

Driver:titleist-small: TSR2 9º with TPT Nitro Driver 17 Hi

Fairway #1: :titleist-small: TSR2 15º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Fairway #2: :titleist-small: TSR2 21º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Utility: :titleist-small: T200 Utility Build 3i (20º) with TPT Power Hybrid 16 Hi

Irons: :titleist-small: T100 (4-PW) with UST Mamiya DART V 105 F4

Irons (Special Ocassions)::Miura: MC-502 (4-PW) with UST Mamiya DART V 105 F4

Wedges:vokey-small: SM10 Jet Black (50.08 F, 56.08 M, 60.04 T) with UST Mamiya DART V 105 F4

Putter:L.A.B.: MEZZ.1 MAX Counterbalance with TPT

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 X or :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Other: :Arccos: Gen 3+ Smart Sensors (Smoke)

Just wanted to pop in and say that on YouTube Sam (LAB CEO) and Cade (club builder)  from LAB Golf are playing BustaJack on their channel. BustaJack is the reason I got interested in LAB Putters and signed up. Go over and watch it and “like” “subscribe” etc. 

I haven’t watched it yet and interested to see how the Sam and Cade do. BustaJack guys are good. 

And they have a giveaway for a trip to LAB Golf and a putter for subscribers. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

1 hour ago, Torden Golf said:

With my L.A.B. experiment I'm evidence that something isn't necessarily for everyone. I've played several rounds now with the MEZZ.1, trying many different grip methods and other things. Also watching all the drills to help etc. And I've still not arrived at a point where I feel like the putter is completely natural and working for me.

Putting has always been a strength for me. But like many on here I'm a gear nerd and had to experience it for myself anyway. But really where I'm at now is a checkpoint moment, where you have to think if you're having to work at all hard to accomodate something it's probably not your thing. To prove that to myself I took out the previous Phantom X 5.5 and confidence was immediately higher, and also statistically based up with Arccos data.

Love the look, the feel, the bag appeal. But it's days in my possession may be numbered.

I hear you.   Based on my brief flirtation with other models today both today I can understand how they aren't for everyone.  Even for someone like myself who has fully bought into the technical aspects the forward press just felt a bit strange.  🤷‍♂️  I also just do not like thicker putter grips...  

I will say this though, I do have a friend who did not get along with his Mez for a while.  He spoke to another friend who is an instructor did some work with him and now is completely sold in the Mez Max he has.   I think it's a process for anyone who was a decent putter beforehand.  Like I mentioned im my review it took a lot of time and putts for me to fully adjust.  Hundreds and hundreds of putts.   Food for thought.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

23 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

I hear you.   Based on my brief flirtation with other models today both today I can understand how they aren't for everyone.  Even for someone like myself who has fully bought into the technical aspects the forward press just felt a bit strange.  🤷‍♂️  I also just do not like thicker putter grips...  

I will say this though, I do have a friend who did not get along with his Mez for a while.  He spoke to another friend who is an instructor did some work with him and now is completely sold in the Mez Max he has.   I think it's a process for anyone who was a decent putter beforehand.  Like I mentioned im my review it took a lot of time and putts for me to fully adjust.  Hundreds and hundreds of putts.   Food for thought.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve hit hundreds of puts now as well. Both on course and around the house. Messing with different holds/grips and all. The last two rounds I thought “screw it” and decided to just revert to what has been natural for me with any other putter. That was actually better.

The thing that decides it for me is walking up to a 4 foot putt. I want to feel like I can not even take a normal stance and just casually knock that thing in the centre of the hole. If I don’t have that confidence with a putter, bottom line it’s probably not my thing.

What I’ve also found “interesting” is that generally I’d say I have quite a strong arc stroke (though put best with face balance - go figure). With the MEZZ I feel like on short puts I have a tendency to take the putter away on an outside-in sort of path.

I will keep trying for a while longer as I desperately want for this thing and I to be friends LOL

Utility: :titleist-small: T200 Utility Build 3i (20º) with TPT Power Hybrid 16 Hi

Wedges:vokey-small: SM10 Jet Black (50.08 F, 56.08 M, 60.04 T) with UST Mamiya DART V 105 F4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Just a fun little update, even if I wasn't a tester on this year's test  

Over the last two weeks of play (two Fridays), I've broken 80 both times (first and second time ever, mind you), and made 100' of birdie putts on the first Friday, and made a 40' putt this past outing, as well as two knee-knocker 12-15' putts for par to keep my round going, and finally a 12-ish eagle putt on 18 for my first-ever eagle (I may never get tired of posting about this - apologies in advance).  

I also left three birdie putts about 2 or 3 rolls short of the hole on the front 9 of Friday's round.

The DF is my very best friend.  I've really come to realize the thing I love most about it is that it frees me up from thinking about 'stroke' and just allows me to concentrate fully on reading the green and pace.  I no longer have to think about HOW I'm going to hit it - just step up and hit it, and assuming I did good work on the line, I've got a really good chance of it falling.

That's all Go about your business.

Agree 100%  Love my DF2.1. It def takes some getting used to but it takes some of the thoughts out of the equation. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Per a previous post I was pretty close to calling it quits with the MEZZ.1 as I was feeling like I was having to work to hard to get on with it. As a final stand I thought, I’ll not do anything special at all. No change at all to routine, ball placement, grip, nothing. The last couple of rounds, and especially a quick 9 hole outing this evening, and it actually feels like it might be coming together.

It’s always had a really nice role. But tonight especially the flow of the putter felt like it was natural. And most important, for me, is those 4 footers I felt like I could just step up and confidently knock them in.

Hopefully the tide has turned and the MEZZ.1 can stay in the bag long term. Sure does look like a sexy piece of equipment to complement the rest of the bag!

Edited by Torden Golf

Just wanted to drop a note about my LAB DF2.1 for the month of September. I played over a dozen times last month. I normally play 4 times a week. I averaged 26 putts per round. High of 28 and low of 23 putts. Also for the month I had two 3-putts. 

I changed my setup and had some struggles early on with this putter. Much like buying the best driver in the world, it doesn’t immediately make you better if you continue to have the same swing faults. But the bottom line is I have become much more consistent because the putter is neutral. It goes where you point it and doesn’t rotate unless I rotate it. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

On 5/2/2023 at 12:15 AM, TSauer said:

Untitled(AnimatedLogo)(Postcard)(62in).gif.60d19b9be16fe2fb26e9741387466218.gif

Hello friends, and welcome to a review unlike any other (in my best Jim Nantz voice). My name is Tyler Sauer and I hail from a small mid-western town known as Belle, Missouri. I am a 32 year golf junkie that was introduced to the game back in 2015. Spoiler alert, I’ve been addicted ever since. I have been married to my lovely wife for 3 years and we have a 19 month old that keeps us on our toes each and every day. When I was younger, I was dedicated to basketball and nothing else. In fact, golf was never something that interested me. If you would have told me in my early twenties that I’d be this hooked on the game, I would have called you crazy. I joined MGS back in 2016, but I’ve been on a slight hiatus the past couple of years simply due to being busy with our little one and of course the whole winter thing that tends to roll around every eight months or so and forces me to put golf on the back burner. I’m only slightly envious of y’all that get year-round golf weather. Anyway, I’m back baby! Happy to see everyone and excited to interact with all the newcomers I’ve missed during my hibernation.

12.jpg.cf66be15adfa9648b01af754299d3b0e.jpg     123.jpg.5772c9484b2cfa2a150bdd13d571658a.jpg    1234_3_15.jpg.bc3c119cb722af0a75c2574c9da4bfe0.jpg

My hometown course is just a few minutes from my house, and since I work remote, it tends to soak up my lunch hour most days. It’s a relatively short 9-hole track with a couple holes that can really cause some trouble. Ask me how I know. I consider myself a pretty casual golfer, I try to get in 2-3 rounds a week along with some practice time squeezed in there somewhere. If you had to distribute skill points as if you were creating my character, it would look as follows: 

7-41.png.825890d3e18aa992cf629b9d78b26e14.png

My putting is usually the one thing that remains pretty steady throughout the season. I would consider myself a good reader of the greens, but I still tend to have those slight misses on either side of the cup. Could that be the putter to blame? Could it be that maybe I’m not as good at reading as I thought? Well, that’s what we’re about to find out. L.A.B. has been in the lab creating something special, claiming you only need the correct line, good speed, and your natural stroke to sink more putts. No longer will you need to worry about returning a square face, as their tech should make it effortless to do so. I plan to put those claims to the test in a 1v1 battle where my Newport 2 squares up against the Link. The plan is to continue what I'm doing now, and that's playing lots of golf, all while paying more close attention to putting stats like SGP as well as recording distances and missed putt data. 

I am truly excited for this heavyweight bout, especially since I’ve never gamed a center shafted putter. And, since we’re on a bit of a scientific showdown I want to leave you all with my hypothesis…

IF the Link.1 face remains square throughout my stroke, THEN I will drop more putts and make the L.A.B. putter my primary, BECAUSE we all love one putts.  

(Bonus shot of my local course that I took with my drone)

118082490_10158361094290803_1116996708496789884_o_4_38.jpg.b1f14910078521f2ff07f2ee511efeef.jpg

baked(FacebookCover)(1640215px)(800105px)(40053px).gif.ed5f49829b1eaceb2fa933fbaee4bfdc.gif

I want to give a quick overview of the fitting experience I had with Sam. To begin with, L.A.B. offers remote fittings if you’re not able to make it to one of the locations that is able to fit you in person. Personally, I think that’s pretty rad! In order to complete the remote fitting, just throw on your golf shoes, record a DTL clip of you putting, and send it in. Of course there are a few other specifics, but that’s the gist of it. After the Facetime with Sam, I slipped on my kicks, busted out the tripod, and sank an imaginary 40 footer… a few times. Normally, you would email the video in and they would analyze it and get back with you. In this case, Sam wanted the video sent directly to him so we could expedite the process. Pretty cool… right?

After sending him the goods, he had a couple of concerns and wanted me to adjust some things. Unbeknownst to me, I was pretty crammed up and my sight line was a little far over the ball. I currently play a 36” putter, but luckily I had a 37” one lying around, as that’s what he wanted me to try out. Back to the tripod we went, relaxed the posture, and focused on keeping the sight line a little inside the hosel. Sam liked the second rendition much better… Now we’re cooking! He gave me the deets on what options he suggested and we rolled with it (ba dum tss). After recording both fittings, I took a look at things and put the images side by side, which made it pretty apparent that I was indeed a little crammed and in an extremely poor position. 

ScottyGifSmall.gif.878f488772e733d0b42f08ebc4727ee7.gif       checkx2.jpg.ae30f7449ae95a138b79921ab33cd563.jpg       ScottyLine_1_20.jpg.02e9bf34503675fefcda763f29ee0441.jpg

PingGifSmall.gif.4c0716d9ce8bca136af9b40378852fe8.gif      checkx1.jpg.5a73746a6ec254907b885077cd6e639d.jpg      PingLine_20.jpg.93ea676fea9e73a7628b50c9d5d7057c.jpg

Of course, getting fit by the CEO of the company you’re getting the putter from is an awesome story. But, what made it extra special was Sam’s passion about the whole experience. He wanted to make sure he was doing everything he could to assure I am going to have the best possible outcome… which is just grand!

I will leave the custom details a mystery for now, at least until the unboxing. That way we're all waiting on the UPS man!

⛳ CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT'S IN THE BOX ⛳

If you would like to look at some early testing data, click the link below. This is still a work in progress and there will be more results posted later once I can get around to finishing those tests up!

>>> LET'S TALK NUMBERS <<<

PutterTemplate.gif.7e9a218896d96cb09fb968efa6aba565.gif

First Impressions (19.5/20)

When you think of L.A.B. Golf, what comes to mind? Do you think less strokes at the cost of looks or is it hard to even see beyond the unorthodox design that is the Mezz or DF2.1? Before testing opened, I was aware of LAB as there are a few YouTube golfers I watch religiously that play both of those aforementioned models. So, I was already intrigued. But, what really grabbed my attention was their new Link.1 model, which mimics that of a blade. Now, there are some differences there with the center shafted head and the visible weights, but I think those things give it that LAB touch and I’m able to see past it for the most part. I thought getting used to looking down at a center shafted putter would take some time, but I adjusted pretty quickly. It really does feel like hitting your traditional blade putter. I love the laser etching of the logos and the sight line, I have never seen this done before, and it is an awesome touch! There are some slight imperfections/fuzziness on the logos, which I’m assuming comes with the laser method. You can only see that if you get REALLY up close and personal, but to the naked eye you will never even notice it.

IMG-3374.jpg.cdfaf86a5ea06f4886552fb6cb4d5964.jpg IMG-3433.jpg.0851b594249fc4ddbe92dfb921599e71.jpg IMG-3432.jpg.bb7a723f96b5b0ee2ee8d0f90efe8d35.jpg

Another nice touch is the color. It may go unnoticed by most, but  when you sit it next to what I would say is the normal or most common finish, you can see the difference. It has a slightly darker, brownish tint and no glare. Nothing crazy, but something I like.

IMG-3372.jpg.a1648c20f74708d743de86d6245e229c.jpg IMG-3369.jpg.6bf0251d4c493303f60a65d8c7662727.jpg

If I had to choose one thing to gripe about with the Link, and this is a very, very nitpicky gripe, it would be the toe weights. I think it’s more of an OCD uniformity thing than anything else. Aside from that small complaint, the Link pleases my eye very much. I do like that it is a little different than most and tends to spark some putter talk with a lot of the people I play with.

IMG-3332-jpg.JPG.57514371b1b3482adbb995282a137f2a.JPG IMG-3335.JPG.ad27243fe5b4f38a72582a901b29c1c7.JPG IMG-3336.JPG.44892286e0a348cb7f34989e4ba49c5c.JPG

Speaking of the weights, they aren’t just for show. We know that putters twist during your stroke, and in order to sink putts you need to make sure that face is square at impact so you can hit your line. That is where these weights and the LAB tech come into play, claiming to reduce putter torque (face rotation) and more consistently deliver a square face at impact, no matter how slow or fast your putter stroke is. That’s where the magic is! Imagine removing that factor from putting, now all you need to focus on is your line and pace. To visualize this a little more, give this short video a watch: Why Putting Is So Hard

IMG-3368.jpg.2ec20bc417de44f1e9d7b5ae74d9fdbb.jpg

I will be putting the Link up against my two most used putters, an Evnroll ER2 and a Newport 2. I have been using the Newport 2 most recently, but have been in between the two for the past year I would say. Unfortunately, I do not have any prior stats of either of them, but will be performing several tests to gather some numbers and determine which of the three will come out on top.

The Numbers (40/40)

To start with, I wanted to put the first claim to the test. Does the LAB truly reduce torque and help my face remain constant through impact? I tested indoors on a BirdieBall putting mat at distances of 3’, 5’, 8’, and 10’. I used a laser to make sure I was lined up correctly each time that way all I would need to do is hit my line. If I could keep my face square, then I should not have any issues with making these pretty straightforward putts. I rolled 100 balls with each putter and spaced the testing out over a couple of weeks. 

PuttingData.png.0719f69abd13a795bf559ad074c58105.png

As you can tell, the Link was the clear winner here, with the Newport finishing last. The first couple distances were pretty simple putts, there was no break and all I needed to do was hit my line. Of those few I missed, I can safely say it was due to face issues. When it got to the longer putts at 8’ and 10’, there was a slight right to left break, so not only did I need to hit my line but I needed to make sure my pace was good as well. My BirdieBall is fairly quick compared to what I normally play on, so the main issue I had at first was hitting it too firm, but I was able to adjust on the later sessions. From this, I gathered that maybe I wasn’t as good of a putter as I thought I was. Maybe I have an issue with hitting my line and there’s a possibility for improvement.

Next up, I wanted to test out the longer putts from around 30’. There are days when my short game isn’t the best (more often than not) and lag putts are essential. So, I headed out to the course and tested proximity to the hole. I did those over multiple different greens with varying slopes and breaks to get the best results.

Proximity.png.1621a12ce2b9aee1ee18ee7660fc1368.png

The hardest part of this test was getting used to the Link. I did play a few rounds before getting to this test, because I struggled with distance control. A lot of times I was coming up way short, which isn’t a typical miss for me. I believe the weight of the Link played a role in this, as it is a little heavier than what I am used to. But, as you can see, after getting the hang of its stroke and characteristics, it outperformed the others significantly. A whopping 52% difference!!

Aerial shot of my proximity test. Various shots from around the green from 30 feet.

PuttGif.gif.adc46ceaaa25a901428d8e5b54bf66ef.gif

On The Course (9/10)

When we take focus off the specific test and just look at using the Link during a normal round, it’s been amazing. Not only have I gained confidence in the putts inside the 10’ range, but my chances of making those longer putts have significantly increased. Before, when the putt was beyond 15’ or 20’ I felt like I was just making the stroke and hoping for some good luck that it ended up semi close to the hole, so I could tap it in. Now, there is a real possibility of me making these putts without any luck.

I know it may sound odd to say, but it seems impossible to miss your line. I played quite a few scramble rounds over the past couple of months and I made sure to putt last or second to last just so I could get a read. It is almost unreal how many long putts were made. You may have read it in a previous comment, but there has been much praise from my golfing partners ever since I put the Link in the bag.

There are times here and there where I struggle with distance control, but I believe that will come in time. As I mentioned, I was using the Evnroll and Scotty for a while and you saw what those proximity numbers looked like. I think a couple more months with the Link and that statistic may look even better.

The Good, The Bad, The In Between (19.5/20)

There are a lot of good things to talk about, but the first and most important thing is the free online fitting. The nearest PGA Tour Superstore for me is just over 5 hours away. There is a Golf Galaxy a little over an hour away, but from what I saw, they do not carry LAB putters. So, the ability to send a video into LAB to dissect your setup and fit you remotely is huge. They want to make sure the putter is fit perfectly for you!

Another good thing, and I cannot say this enough, is the headcover quality is out of this world. When you buy a premium putter, you expect a premium headcover. A lot of times that part gets overlooked or the companies just don’t care enough. LAB is different. From the magnetic closure to the stitching to the soft, pillowy inside… It's absolutely phenomenal. If I ever lose or damage mine, I’m buying another one directly from LAB.

IMG-3395.jpg.d81e846ec6ae99d3cdfaabf5be131ec3.jpg IMG-3393.jpg.4995a4f75a4b9404a4d807adf78fae7e.jpg IMG-3392.jpg.27d2620a764131e52d299c7796927c26.jpg

One thing that may get frustrating to some is those who want to make grip adjustments to their Link. We know that changing the grip can throw off the swing weight on any club, but it also throws off the balancing ever so slightly on the LAB putters. So, if you are making a drastic change, it would be best to send it in to have it rebalanced. However, this is something that comes with purchasing a putter that is fit and balanced specifically for you.

I love that the Link is the same, but different. It’s a blade, but it’s a LAB blade. It has those touches that set it apart just enough to pique the interest of others.

One final thing, another good, is that you can always reach out to LAB with questions or concerns and Sam (CEO) or another member of his team will be happy to assist. Customer service is huge and I think LAB is right there at the top!

Play It or Trade It? (10/10)

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, I will be playing this. My other putters are already nestled up inside on the rack, just waiting to gather dust. There is not much else to say here, I don’t see any reason to switch back to putters I’ve used in the past. Unless, I want to sandbag the front 9 and pull out the Link at the turn.

Closing Thoughts…

If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with mesothelioma the yips, I cannot urge you enough to give one of the putters from the LAB lineup a chance. I know you may find them a little bulky, somewhat alien-like, or just different… But, I think you will surprise yourself. I, for one, did not think my putting could improve without lots of practice sessions or maybe even a couple of lessons. However, I am already shaving strokes off of my game by doing neither of those things. There may be a small period early on where you may have some rough patches for a couple of rounds, but I guarantee once you and the new putter work things out, the relationship is going to be smooth sailing.

FINAL SCORE: 98

**Disclaimer, I have developed these weird habits since using the Link.1:

unnamed.gif.944522413704b67b1f98e270637ecd6b.gif ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.091de7b1c0b18ad98ae5e2d492522c91.gif

@TSauer I know I've already stated that you absolutely KILLED this review, but I went back and read it again and looked through all the photos and data because it was just so well done. I apologize if this was asked arleady, but what do you use for creating your data charts? Love the look compared to just a standard screen grab of an excel sheet and would like to steal it for (hopeful) future testing down the road for myself!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

1 hour ago, Jnoble89 said:

@TSauer I know I've already stated that you absolutely KILLED this review, but I went back and read it again and looked through all the photos and data because it was just so well done. I apologize if this was asked arleady, but what do you use for creating your data charts? Love the look compared to just a standard screen grab of an excel sheet and would like to steal it for (hopeful) future testing down the road for myself!

Thanks, brotha! I LOVE doing this kinda stuff!

I actually got the inspiration from this MGS Shot Scope test, and I couldn't find any tables online that I liked so I just used Gimp (poor man's Photoshop) and created my own. I think I still have the template on my computer at home, I'd have to double check. Unfortunately, it won't be a simple "plug and play" type table, but I'd be happy to send you the base file(s) if you're interested. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

22 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Thanks, brotha! I LOVE doing this kinda stuff!

I actually got the inspiration from this MGS Shot Scope test, and I couldn't find any tables online that I liked so I just used Gimp (poor man's Photoshop) and created my own. I think I still have the template on my computer at home, I'd have to double check. Unfortunately, it won't be a simple "plug and play" type table, but I'd be happy to send you the base file(s) if you're interested. 

Would definitely appreciate that! Then I can see if I can figure it out for future use!

#LeftyGang

I'm heading to the PGA Superstore In Lawrensville, Ga. today for a possible purchase with Mezz Max on my mind. They are on the fitter list for this area so we shall see. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

26 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Would definitely appreciate that! Then I can see if I can figure it out for future use!

Will do! When I get home from work this evening, I'll check that I still have it. If not, I'll get one created for ya! 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

On 10/5/2023 at 11:57 AM, ole gray said:

I'm heading to the PGA Superstore In Lawrensville, Ga. today for a possible purchase with Mezz Max on my mind. They are on the fitter list for this area so we shall see. 

I'm going to quote myself as I did not make it to the PGA Superstore however I did utilize the remote fitting option and I'm going to join all you LABsters pretty soon. 

Per my interaction with Calvin at LAB I was very impressed with the quick follow-up he provided:

"Bill,

Thank you for sending in your remote fitting video! After looking at your video I measured your specs to be 35.5”/67°. The length looked solid so I wouldn’t change anything about that unless you had any concerns. I did notice that the toe of your putter was a little bit off of the ground so going with the 67° lie angle should help you keep that putter flat on the ground. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding your fitting, updating an order you have already placed, or any of our products!  We do offer a veterans discount so when you are ready to place your order I can give you that code."

Calvin Green

Senior Fitting Specialist

L.A.B. Golf Company

Home of Directed Force Putters & Press Grips

600 Dale Kuni Rd, Suite 110 | Creswell, OR 97426

Some of you know I'm a tester for the Titleist T350 irons and I am shooting some awesome scores with them in spite of my putting woes. Recently shot an 80 with six 3 putts! 😠    I've read through your reviews and I appreciate all the awesome info you have provided. With that said, I will be placing an order today via email to Calvin to begin the build process and then once this puppy arrives, I'll be joining you all. 💣

Cleveland

On 5/2/2023 at 1:14 AM, Splatt said:

G’day guys, I’m Splatt, or Sean Platt if you want to get official about it (see if you can put together where my nickname came from).
Firstly, I’d like to thanks MyGolfSpy and LAB golf for the opportunity to test this amazing putter.

About me

I’ve had an interest in golf for a long time starting back in the days of the PlayStation 1 and the early Tiger Woods video games.
However, I didn’t start playing golf until relatively recently.
My work held a corporate golf day and I was tasked with leading a 4-man ambrose team. Finally, I would get the chance to find out if the years of Tiger video games translated into real life, spoiler alert: They don’t!
I don’t think I actually hit the ball until the 3rd hole, I lost the 2 sleeves of the company-branded golf balls I was allocated by the 7th, and I accidentally let go of the driver on the 13th, but by the end of the day golf well and truly had its hooks into me. By the next weekend, I had a set of old clubs I had borrowed from a friend and I was back playing a full 18 at my now-local club; I shot 139 and I still have the scorecard. I’m going to frame it one day so I can see how far I’ve come.

My game

I’ve come a long way since the days of shooting a casual 139.
I’m currently a 21 handicap. I get regular lessons and my swing has improved a lot, most obviously in the last 12 months my swing with the driver has resulted in a lot more fairways.
However, a glaringly obvious shortfall in my game for a long time has been putting.

3-putts have been as common in my game as water-balls, chunked chip shots, and swear words. In fact, it’s a running joke amongst my friends that whatever ball I’m using is the 3-putt variety:
“What you got there? A Titleist? Must be the new Titleist 3-putt”
“Using Bridgstones now? I didn’t know they did a 3-putt model” etc etc

This is why when I saw MGS had a chance to test a LAB putter I jumped at the chance.
Over the last 12 months my putting has improved a lot, I switched to a mallet and moved to a straighter putting arc.
From all of the promos and advertising the LAB seems perfectly suited to me and what I want to get from a putter.

My plans and what I need from the putter

Prior to the LAB arriving, I’m going to get as much putting data from my existing putter as possible. I’ve already recorded the number of putts per round for the last few years, but I’m going to be going for some more in-depth data.
Once I have the LAB in my hands, I’m sure there’ll be a bit of a teething period where I get used to it, but from there I’ll try and get some data so I can see the differences straight from the get-go.
Moving forward from there, I plan on being quite regimented in testing the putting: multiple putts from varying set distances, plenty of time on my home putting matt, and as many real-life rounds as I can squeeze in.
And of course, as much data as I can get.
To stay in the bag after the testing period I’d want to see some improvement (putts per round dropping, less 3-putts, leaving longer putts closer ect), but more importantly I’m going to need to trust it.

Arrival and unboxing

The day finally arrived and my new LAB putter was delivered.
I happened to have the day off and I'm pretty sure I scared the crap out of the delivery man. He got about half a knock in before I ripped open the front door.

Some care instructions to follow.
I hadn't thought about oiling it. Might be a once a year job after the winter season:
20230529_121609.jpg.8158e6ecf7d8747857353dd80fff2aa2.jpg

The head cover game is strong.
It feels high quality and the fit is nice and tight.
20230529_121727.jpg.e82dbbfb8b378ce6957fc0f20ec13221.jpg

For the putter I went with the Mezz.1 Max in a blue finish with a white shaft. 
I opted for 4 arrows for the alignment rather than the standard single line.
The money shots:
20230529_121806.jpg.4a020ae40165288173baf686ca6165f1.jpg20230529_121809.jpg.f6a8eef9c054b479c7b68901b3539933.jpg20230529_121814.jpg.93256ca6331ca9b519da9597b1333180.jpg20230529_121838.jpg.325bb1eb41c5e3e7af064d3733581b85.jpg20230529_124338.jpg.94dfd17580a2247bd67bc1fe7d1f933a.jpg20230529_124352.jpg.57b9665255da8a005e4d16997dca9d8b.jpg

Previously I used an Odyssey Stroke Lab Mallet.
I was surprised at the size comparison between the 2. I assumed the Mezz.1 Max was going to be substantially larger than my Odyssey, but it's only slightly wider.
Some comparisons:
20230529_123152.jpg.c57d335e65a3df758d5a9e392229ea52.jpg20230529_123214.jpg.6fe80c526d8bc5b2dc9cac65bd78daad.jpg

I love the colour and it only gets better outdoors and on a putting green:
20230530_155430.jpg.0a9fdd3a9a8e620872cd9bfa28ad7ec7.jpg

I'll be back in a few days with my initial thoughts.

Initial thoughts

WOW!
Ok, that's my initial thoughts done....

More detailed initial thoughts

I was stunned by how the putter looked and felt when I first took it out of the box.
Let me tell you, the pictures I have above and the official promo ones from LAB don't do it justice. In real life, this is a seriously stunning looking putter.
The blue has the perfect metallic shade to it that pops without being obnoxious and paired with the white Accra shaft is just *chef's kiss*.

Now for the actual performance: this putter rocks!
Comparing it to my Odyssey Mallet is legitimately like night and day; and the Odyssey wasn't a low bar either, that putter fantastic in its own right.
From the easy set up, the feedback from the strike, to the weight of the putter, everything about the LAB is like a friendly helping hand assisting you to making the putt.

The first night it arrived I spent an hour or two on my indoor putting matt. The first half an hour or so was mainly admiring the looks and getting used to the different grip, putter weight, and setting up with the pre-built in shaft lean. After that, I was off and running hitting what felt like identical putt after putt.

The biggest thing I noticed that first night was after I few hours when I switched back to my Odyssey putter for a few putts.
I got into my putting stance and, holy crap, this putter is fighting against me!
It must be something you get used to pretty quickly and stop noticing, but when I switched back to the Odyssey it just felt like the face did not like being square to the target.
Then I went back to the LAB and the differance is outstanding, the face automatically wants to be square to the target.

When I putt I concentrate on three things: where to aim, start line, and pace. With the LAB I feel like I can forget about the starting line as the ball effortlessly rolls exactly where I'm aiming.

Speaking of the roll, the LAB not only aims exactly where I'm aiming, but the ball rolls so purely.
This may be more of an indictment of my putting skills rather than the qualities of the LAB (but probably a healthy mix of both), but I've never had a ball roll so smooth and pure. 
I use a line on a ball for alignment (seen above) and, let me tell you, that line just rolls over and over on itself without wavering, like a snake chasing its tail.

I've found a place in Perth that dials purely into putting stats called the Putt Lab, I'm going to try and get in there this week for a detailed comparison between the LAB and my old putter.

Stay tuned for that and more testing to come.

Rainy day testing

Australia is being very un-Australian right now and there's all this water falling from the sky. 
In fact, the only time it's not been raining is where I've been at work far away from my putter.

I have found a place near me that specialize in putting lessons and data. I've got some time booked there next week for an in-depth putter comparison.
Stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, I decided to do some at home tests using my Putt-Out matt and Putt-Out Pressure Trainer.

20230621_183639.jpg.2dd55dd470f0278e832ecefd306444c7.jpg

The matt has 6 stations at increasing distances from the hole.
I took 10 putts with the LAB and my old Odyssey putter at each station and counted how many perfect putts I could do. A perfect putt has the perfect line and pace and will finish in the small hole in the Pressure Trainer:

20230621_193251.jpg.c984c687ba9b24a38c4bc10552b40a22.jpg

One thing I noticed while doing the test was the LAB had a certain 'dialed in' feel to it once I managed a perfect putt and subsequently led to more putts in a row with the LAB than the Odyssey.

Results from 60 shots

• Odyssey -  19 perfect putts with an average of 3.16 per station
  • LAB - 20 perfect putts with an average of 3.3 per station

Not a huge difference, but I know I'll take an extra putt per round finding the centre rather than not.

LABtest.jpg.63c126d563a5dc5c9c35b693b0621e70.jpgOdysseytest.jpg.6b050c2e87b890bc2eb9e0c4ef26fce6.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS 20/20
As you can see from the pics above, I was nervous as hell when the premium package finally arrived. I had been tracking the box like the sycophantic golf nut I am and when it finally turned up at the door I literally broke out in a sweat when I saw what a beating the box had taken.
But, LAB Golf was fully prepared and had wrapped my baby in layers upon layers of the finest bubble wrap.

The box took a bit of a bashing in the long journey from American to Australia:
20230529_121350.jpg.b605b7edaccc3d6a27ad3fb064fe1894.jpg20230529_121353.jpg.392fa289199f3f7faef0d7d87471f48f.jpg

I'll admit I was a little worried about the condition of the putter inside, but LAB had that covered with ample additional packaging inside the box:
20230529_121523.jpg.ab234d48e0d2474520099252762ed84c.jpg

Once out of the protective packaging, I was very impressed.
The leather headcover feels ultra-premium and fits snuggly over the head of the putter. The material is a soft felt on the inside and is thick enough that when I slip it onto the putter it gives me confidence that it protects the precious cargo inside like a high-end motorcycle helmet.
The magnets which hold the headcover closed are strong and close firmly around the putter.

After admiring it from all angles for what felt like hours I set up my putting mat and gave it the first of many putts. The schtick from LAB Golf is that it’s all about Lie Angle Balance (L.A.B, get it), which basically means that the putter is balanced so that it doesn’t try to open or close the face during the swinging motion.
This is noticeable straight away during the backswing. My old putter would feel quite heavy in the takeaway, and when comparing it to the LAB I realised that this wasn’t the weight of the head, this was the putter fighting to close the face. In contrast, the LAB actually feels quite light during the swing.

Later that day I took it for a test drive on the putting green at my local driving range. I started with some shorter-range putts and then moved on to some longer-range ones.
The thing that stood out to me first was how the ball rolled off the face. Now, I stated above that I’m not the best putter of the ball, there are obviously some huge technical issues behind my technique, but when I strike a putt with the LAB the ball just seems to roll much more pure than I’m used to. Instantly the little hops and wobbles that I had become accustomed to were gone and replaced by a smooth roll towards the cup like I was hitting the putt on glass.

AESTHETICS 10/10

For the putter itself, I went with the Mezz 1 Max in a blue finish, arrow alignment aid, and a white Accra shaft. The contrast between the electric blue putter head and the white shaft really blew me away when I first took it out of the packaging.
The shaft has a texture on it which surprised me because my current putter has more of a glossy finish to it.

20230529_121838.jpg.325bb1eb41c5e3e7af064d3733581b85.jpg

For me, it’s the perfect shade of blue, it’s not too bright nor too dull. It just pops against the grass and my golf ball, which has made alignment and aim direction much easier.

The sound off the face is crisp and powerful sounding on the longer hits, I’ve had putters before that have had a clicky sound which just ends up putting me off; luckily the LAB isn’t like that.
This is also the same for off-centre hits; strikes out of the toe and the heel still sound powerful, which also gives me confidence that I haven’t completely ruined the shot by not striking it in the centre.

THE NUMBERS 8/10

I took the LAB and my old Odyssey putter to a place near me called The Putt Lab to get some comparison data.
I did 30 shots with each on his tracking Capto system, this would give me the data for the comparison.
Firstly, David from The Putt Lab, took some measurements from both putters including lie angle and loft.
The LAB came back with 3.5 degree of loft and a lie angle of 69 degrees, exactly the specs as per the build, kudos to the guys over at LAB. The Odyssey, however, was a different story. The lie angle measured as 1.5 degrees, which means that at impact with a bit of shaft lean the putter is delivering zero loft, or potentially negative loft (more on that later).
This would help explain why I always struggled with longer putts and a funky, bumpy roll of the ball.

Some more data below.

data1.PNG.e263eb02c1f8e79257426f6c58a55e08.PNG

data2.PNG.21ebb07b37ce1604f18fe8df37853df7.PNG

ON-COURSE 19/20

Now we’re onto the good part, taking this bad boy onto the course.
I’m going to preface this by reminding you that I’m not a great putter, I generally average around 40 to 45 putts per round.
Terrible, I know.
My first round with the LAB was at one of the monthly games with my social club, I had told all of the boys the month prior that I had a LAB putter on the way, so when I turned up to the course with it, it was like I have turned up with a celebrity. Everyone had to get a look and a couple of practise putts.
This first round happened to be a great first test for the putter because I was having on of my famous terrible ball-striking days, so the LAB was up against it to try and salvage my round.
And, oh boy, did she save my bacon that day.
As soon as I got to the green I felt I could relax and let the LAB do the work, in fact, anything within 5 feet almost felt like cheating they were going in that easy.
My previous round before the arrival of the LAB I had recorded 43 putts, this first round with the LAB I dropped to 36 putts!

I really like the look of this putter at address, it has a certain squareness about it that gives me the confidence that the golf ball is going to roll exactly where I’m aiming. Whether I have my aim point correct is all up to me.

One of my new favourite things is when I’m paired up with random people and watching their expression on the first green when I whip out the blue, point, Mezz 1 Max. I have found it’s always a talking point and quite the ice breaker.

I’ve now had multiple rounds with the LAB and the only minor issue I have faced is pace control on medium to long range putts. The ball rolls so smoothly that it’s completely reversed my pace issue, I used to have a habit of leaving putts short (I’ve since learnt that’s because of the face loft), but now my misses are rolling way passed the hole. It’s even trickier on downhill short putts, it literally feels like a tiny tap is too much.

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE INBETWEEN 17/20

This is a great putter, there’s no question about that. Before it arrived I was concerned about the centre-placed shaft, they’re definitely not for everyone and I wasn’t sure if I would like it or if it would put me off, but, luckily, I have not even noticed it.

The remote fitting process was a massive highlight. It’s as simple as filming yourself face-on doing a putting stroke with a vertical reference point behind you like a doorframe. And that’s it, LAB will take it from there and calculate the lie angle.
Mine came back at a very nice 69 degrees.

I have two criticisms.

The first is a very minor one about the putter itself. Along one edge of the putter grip it has written down it in bold white lettering ‘L.A.B GOLF Press No II 1.5’ and it’s just makes it look a little busy for my tastes. I would much prefer it didn’t have this and just had the tasteful centre line and LAB Golf logo on the front.
Is it make or break? Definitely not. I almost forget it’s there. Almost.

LAB1.jpg.329680664d8b57638044e3372a734bab.jpg

LAB2.jpg.5c92b161c1a879d172733befc0bae477.jpg

My second criticism is mainly because of how much I love this putter that I find it frustrating there are not more of them around in Australia. None of the golf stores here stock them, it’s an online-only item. For most people who would be interested in switching to a LAB it’s a pretty big leap of faith to just order without having a test putt, and I think that’s a real shame. Hopefully LAB can work on getting them into more Aussie stores.

PLAY IT OR TRADE IT 20/20

I honestly cannot imagine another putter coming along that would knock the LAB outta my bag. I think every other club in my bag is going to get upgraded and/or swapped out and the LAB putter will still be going strong.

It has reinvigorated my love for putting and I have noticed myself practising putting more just because I want to be using it all of the time. When I used to get to the green I use to take a deep breath and whisper a prayer that the worst is only a 3-putt, now I breathe a sigh of relief when it’s time to get the putter out of the bag.

I don’t think the putter is for everyone, I’ve had a couple of people hit some putts with it and can’t get past the uniqueness and the centre-mounted shaft, but I do honestly believe that most golfers would see a benefit from using a LAB putter.

TL/DR

The LAB Mezz 1 MAX is a unique beautiful putter that does what it says in the marketing hype.
Give it a go.

Final Score 94/100

20230529_124325.jpg

Wow I really do like that blue!  My MEZZ.1 Proto has never left the bag either.  I hoped Sam Hahn would allow me to trade in my Proto for the newer larger MEZZ but.  I have had some of the best putting rounds of my golfing career with this in the bag.  Unless I get the new model, this won't be coming out of my bag either.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Contemplating ordering a Mezz off the outlet / blemish site. Love my DF but sometimes the size gets in the way, especially around the collar of the green. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

Placed order today emoji2147.pngemoji466.pngemoji7.png

0d026eed00bbc2cfdd47cc27b8bd4dea.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very excited for you!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Looking forward to it partner!

Cleveland

Questions for both testers and current users of the LAB putters.

I've only ever had a Plumber's Neck putter over my 35+ years of playing. I've only ever used SuperStroke grips (Flatso & Pistol).

How difficult has it been to transition to their very different style of "hosel" setup with that center-shafted style and the strangely offset grip?

I'm willing to do just about anything that helps me putt better and gain more strokes on the greens, but that's a VERY different look compared to what I'm used to.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

45 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I've only ever had a Plumber's Neck putter over my 35+ years of playing. I've only ever used SuperStroke grips (Flatso & Pistol).

How difficult has it been to transition to their very different style of "hosel" setup with that center-shafted style and the strangely offset grip?

I'm willing to do just about anything that helps me putt better and gain more strokes on the greens, but that's a VERY different look compared to what I'm used to.

The adjustment to the LAB putter in general took some time on the practice green.  I will say I wasn't super comfortable with it right away even at just the practice green and it took a couple actual rounds to work out the feel and weight.  

I have used center shafted putters prior and the way these are built and designed are just different. I found that the less I tried to really grip the putter and just guide it were key to finding my groove with it.  The press grip also took a little time to get used to but it also plays its purpose with this putter.  

It has also turned into my favorite putter and it would take something incredible to get it out of my bag. 

7 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

For me, the very initial switch felt strange and also looked strange down at address.

However, that feeling fades very quickly. After around an hour with the LAB I had gotten used to it and then it felt weird when I went back to my old putter 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

The adjustment to the LAB putter in general took some time on the practice green.  I will say I wasn't super comfortable with it right away even at just the practice green and it took a couple actual rounds to work out the feel and weight.  
I have used center shafted putters prior and the way these are built and designed are just different. I found that the less I tried to really grip the putter and just guide it were key to finding my groove with it.  The press grip also took a little time to get used to but it also plays its purpose with this putter.  
It has also turned into my favorite putter and it would take something incredible to get it out of my bag. 

Which putter are you using?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

For me, the very initial switch felt strange and also looked strange down at address.
However, that feeling fades very quickly. After around an hour with the LAB I had gotten used to it and then it felt weird when I went back to my old putter 
What model did you go with?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

4 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Which putter are you using?

What model did you go with?

I have the DF2.1. I did the video fitting and mine was a stock model 35in 67°.  I told them what my favorite putter was and what I liked about it and that's the one they suggested. 

It took right at 6 weeks to get it. I searched all the GolfGalaxy and Dicks for a lefty and no one had any. 

You folks are gonna laugh at this fickle ole country boy. You might say (pertaining to this purchase only 😁) I could be somewhat related to a woman in a pocketbook or shoe-shopping contest. No offense to the female population but you gals have bionic feet when it comes to shopping and the men folk last about as long as a Dairy Queen chocolate-dipped cone on a hot summer day.

Ok, I emailed the folks at LAB and changed my order from a standard-length putter to the following:

OrderBroomstickPutter.jpg.c4a37764b6cd8deca0de11e523b4f847.jpg

I've had a lot of success with a broomstick in the past so if this dawg will hunt equal to or I hope better than the old Odyssey I still have, shooting my age before year end will be a done deal. Plus I'll be getting old in a few years (73 now) and it will be easier to practice with a broomstick.  The funny thing is my specs are exactly like Lucas Glover's and the color scheme is the same so hopefully some of his mojo will rub off on me. 

https://youtu.be/dV_VTAONgXA?si=0gLnh4Nm5QShgB6M

Here's the putter and I'm now in are we there yet mode on a delivery date which will most likely be around the end of November. 

PlatinumColor.jpg.b31f28fe9054f21fa3dd3d31df60ddc6.jpg

Edited by ole gray

Cleveland

3 minutes ago, ole gray said:

You folks are gonna laugh at this fickle ole country boy. You might say (pertaining to this purchase only 😁) I could be somewhat related to a woman in a pocketbook or shoe-shopping contest. No offense to the female population but you gals have bionic feet when it comes to shopping and the men folk last about as long as a Dairy Queen chocolate-dipped cone on a hot summer day.

Ok, I emailed the folks at LAB and changed my order from a standard-length putter to the following:

I've had a lot of success with a broomstick in the past so if this dawg will hunt equal to or I hope better than the old Odyssey I still have, shooting my age before year end will be a done deal. Plus I'll be getting old in a few years (73 now) and it will be easier to practice with a broomstick.  The funny thing is my specs are exactly like Lucas Glover's and the color scheme is the same so hopefully some of his mojo will rub off on me. 

Here's the putter and I'm now in are we there yet mode on a delivery date which will most likely be around the end of November. 

Congrats!  

10 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I've watched a few vids on the broomstick LAB putter and it's very intriguing. I may need to find a cheap one on eBay to try out the whole stance and style of putting to see if I even like that option. But from what I saw on the videos, it's more of a set up the line and just "push" the putter with just the force needed to get the ball to the hole, even more so than a standard setup.

15 minutes ago, ole gray said:

https://youtu.be/dV_VTAONgXA?si=0gLnh4Nm5QShgB6M

Good stuff, @ole gray! She's gonna be a beaut!

#LeftyGang

I've watched a few vids on the broomstick LAB putter and it's very intriguing. I may need to find a cheap one on eBay to try out the whole stance and style of putting to see if I even like that option. But from what I saw on the videos, it's more of a set up the line and just "push" the putter with just the force needed to get the ball to the hole, even more so than a standard setup.

Yea it’s a solid way to putt and I’m going to enjoy the LAB MEZZ 1 MAX to say the least. I’ll post my thoughts on this puppy once I have a few rounds under my belt.

Heck I might sell my old Broomstick once the new one comes in but you probably don’t want to wait that long.

Cleveland