Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Music on the Golf Course?

For me, it depends on who I am playing with and if we are playing casual golf or more of a serious round.  On my annual "guys" trip we all play music, and when I play on Sundays with my wife and another couple, we usually play music.  But if I am ever paired up with strangers I don't usually play any music.  Also, when I do play music, I try to be mindful not to play anything obnoxious and keep the volume reasonable so it is not blaring down the fairway.

Driver:  Callaway Rogue ST 9.5o

3W:  Callaway GBB Epic

HW:  Callaway Rogue ST

4H:  Callaway Steelhead Xr

5i -PW:  Callaway Steelhead Xr

GW:  Cleveland CBX2

SW:  Callaway Jaws

LW:  Callaway Jaws

Putter:  Odyssey QWorks Red Tank 7

Just to air this out a bit (and I'm sure sound a bit like a curmudgeon), but let's get something cleared up straight away:  there is an actual rule for player conduct that includes "Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player."  That's rule 1.2.  That's why you're not supposed to talk when someone is over the ball, nor be moving about behind them on the putting green, etc.  I've always found it quite comical when these guys are playing a broadcast channel, everyone is silent on the tee box, yet there's a commentator or commercial playing with a voice babbling away.  Don't get me wrong, I fully understand some people can block that out...but almost invariably in the past someone with god awful etiquette proceeds at some point to say "oh don't worry about talking nothing bothers me".   I can live and let live, play your music but I don't want to hear it when I'm over the ball.  I actually had instances where people have the speaker on a remote cart and are rolling the cart up the fairway on me when I'm over the ball (and the music is thus getting louder and louder)...like really???  It's 4+ hours of our lives and recreation to be out on the course, and it's serious time and money invested, and for some of us it's all we have, so let's all try to have the best etiquette we can.

Kirkland V2 Wedges, Wilson D9 (DG 105) 5-GW, Callaway Epic Flash 3+ and 5w (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0), Ping G425 3 and 4 hybrids (Alta cb 70), Titleist Tsi 2 (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I’m genuinely curious how often people hear music “blaring from 2 holes over” because I can honestly say that I never have. Is that an actual problem or something that’s been made up on the internet?

Also I have this sneaking suspicion that a Venn diagram of folks who rant about how terrible music on the course is and folks who tell other golfers to “just deal with it” when they smoke nasty smelling cigars for 18 holes is just a giant circle. 

... Russ, I am beginning to think music on the course is similar to the parable of the blind men and the elephant. The group all touching a different part of the elephant and thinking the others are just so wrong. I have certainly heard groups playing music loudly that I can hear from at least a fairway over but it is not an every round occurrence. It is almost always companied by copious amounts of alcohol and rap or country. 

... There is a generation that have grown up in a bubble surrounding them radiating out from their phones in a 6 foot circle. hard to blame them as they grew up in an age of technology with most everything at their fingertips. Many are just completely unaware of the world around them. I have been paired up with quite a few that have no concept at all of groups in front or behind them, just themselves and their friends. Leaving the tee on a par 5 while the group in front are walking off the green, they don't hesitate to stop the cart girl and take their time ordering their drinks. And some are playing music easily heard from 100 yds away. Don't hate the player, hate the game. If confronted, which has happened a few times they are not apologetic but offended someone entered their personal bubble.

... And before throwing stones at the younger generation, I have also experienced Boomers that are older, angry and bitter that know better but just don't give a sh!t. They are gonna smoke cigars and play music and if you don't like it go cry to mommy ya snowflake. 

... I have said more than a few times here the best of both worlds is playing music you can hear from 6 feet away and if everyone in your group loves music on the course, 20 feet away. Music is an accompaniment for me and I don't need to hear it while teeing off, hitting shots or putting, just between shots while walking or riding. Because I love music and it makes me happy. But I also completely understand those that prefer the sound of silence. It always come down to understanding we are all different and being respectful of those around you.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I'm sure this topic has people with strong opinions on both sides of the debate, but here's my $0.02 worth.  I think music on the course is acceptable with a few caveats.  First, you should ask all of your cart partner if he/she are okay with it.  If your cart partner says no, then you don't play music.  Golf is meant to be enjoyed and if it will negatively affect your cart partner's enjoyment of the course and game, that's the ultimate trump card in my view.  If your cart partner is alright with it, then you can play music at a limited volume.

And, for me, that's the key.  While I would prefer no music, if it's confined to the cart I don't care too much.  I should not, however, be able to hear it when I'm standing over my ball about to hit a shot.  And I certainly shouldn't be able to hear it from the other cart in the foursome or, even worse, from a group that's on another hole.  On multiple occasions I have seen/heard guys crank their music so loud I can hear it 2 holes away.  Regardless of whether I like the music itself, that's disrespectful.  I've seen guys with Bluetooth speakers attached to their golf bags on the back of the cart, aimed away from the cart.  Not to go all Smails/Czervik, but that's just ridiculous.  It's rude and self-absorbed to assume everyone else wants to listen to your music. 

Sometimes peace and quiet is part of the experience.  Don't be the a**hole and ruin someone else's day.  

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Russ, I am beginning to think music on the course is similar to the parable of the blind men and the elephant. The group all touching a different part of the elephant and thinking the others are just so wrong. I have certainly heard groups playing music loudly that I can hear from at least a fairway over but it is not an every round occurrence. It is almost always companied by copious amounts of alcohol and rap or country. 

... There is a generation that have grown up in a bubble surrounding them radiating out from their phones in a 6 foot circle. hard to blame them as they grew up in an age of technology with most everything at their fingertips. Many are just completely unaware of the world around them. I have been paired up with quite a few that have no concept at all of groups in front or behind them, just themselves and their friends. Leaving the tee on a par 5 while the group in front are walking off the green, they don't hesitate to stop the cart girl and take their time ordering their drinks. And some are playing music easily heard from 100 yds away. Don't hate the player, hate the game. If confronted, which has happened a few times they are not apologetic but offended someone entered their personal bubble.

... And before throwing stones at the younger generation, I have also experienced Boomers that are older, angry and bitter that know better but just don't give a sh!t. They are gonna smoke cigars and play music and if you don't like it go cry to mommy ya snowflake. 

... I have said more than a few times here the best of both worlds is playing music you can hear from 6 feet away and if everyone in your group loves music on the course, 20 feet away. Music is an accompaniment for me and I don't need to hear it while teeing off, hitting shots or putting, just between shots while walking or riding. Because I love music and it makes me happy. But I also completely understand those that prefer the sound of silence. It always come down to understanding we are all different and being respectful of those around you.

I agree 100%

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

The way that I look at music might be different than most (an d maybe unpopular)- I think the allowance of music helps grow the game. If we are being totally honest, not many teenagers or even 20 year olds are playing for "the sounds of nature" - I think the relaxation of music on the course rules helps the stigma of golf is a stuffy, rules and regulation, Country club sport. Now, is that right, wrong, social problems, culture problems, those damn millennials and zoomers? That's all up for debate, but in general I think its spot on. 

I also think that playing music can be done tastefully. For example, if I want to play music I always ask my playing partners, and have the volume down. Then just have to use common sense if on the tee box, or near a green - press pause. Be respectful. 

Final point is, I think it depends on what type of round you are playing. Are you playing with someone that really wants to go out and shoot their best score and be competitive? Are you playing with the boys and having a few cold ones and having fun? Money on the line? All these things matter IMO and common sense should rule. 

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

Thanks for posting, seems like most things, start SIMPLE FROM once in a while to now blaring examples of inconsiderate use --- an over reaction by me, I like to think I can play with anyone, well almost anyone.  Now more than times then not as we play weekly we hear it from other holes and now to most music on carts has become an irritation - the situation you described is quite common,  goes from quiet listening to hey my right.  Plus over the years music on course seems to be getting louder as last weekend guys playing on #16 had their music loud enough we heard it on #7 about 300 yards away or 300 YEARS as not our style of music!  hahaha  Me, I am thinking back to the traditional thoughts I learned under and ALWAYS ENJOYED, that is, that golf and golfers are a different breed, different game as quiet at right time is part of the game - if two regulars cart riders agree to share the music...... and that means in your case either shutting off sometimes or switching to different blend of tunes, that to me is fine, BUT GOOD LUCK as seems too many are sensitive today and can't come to reasonable agreements. 

Take care, so me, I go with NO MUSIC as my vote if there was a vote.  Over the years also now see, as we group up FEW IF ANY ask anymore, they just turn on and think, well you like music - NO I LOVE GOLF and my time I dedicate to enjoying GOLF ---- not your music!

If someone wants to listen to music while playing, they should be respectful/courteous of his fellow competitors, they could use buds or earphones or they could check to see if anyone objects and not play any music.  If they are given permission to play music the volume should be kept low to not bother others on the course playing.

One further caveat to my earlier post.  If folks in your group are okay with music, for God's sake turn off the ringer of the phone connected to the speaker.  While music isn't, of course, a steady droning noise, it is still possible to block it out when swinging the club.  That changes when you get a text or a phone call in the middle of a song, and that alert supersedes the music and belts out loudly during a swing.  You might as well just blow an airhorn at that point.

And, in response to an earlier post asking whether it's really true or just made up for effect, I have personally witnessed guys with speakers attached to their golf bags blaring away from the cart and have heard music from 2 holes away.  I know the course where this occurred well, and so I know pretty well where they were in comparison to where I was.  And it wasn't like I had to strain to hear it, either.

Just be respectful out there and everyone will enjoy the game.

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

I'm a fan of music on the golf course which IMO helps me play better and I also practice with ear buds.   I carry a bose soundlink flex which sounds great but I do keep the volume low enough to be heard a couple yards away.  The group(s) I play with enjoy music on the course and usually recommend some certain genres, so all good there!  Some have had the same speaker so we can link which is even better 🙂   However,  I always ask whomever is either in my cart or walking along side me if they mind having music, so far no one's objected; thank goodness.   Agree with sentiment of always being considerate to your playing partners/teams.

Having apple music play helps to appease everyone's taste once a song is played and from then on you can have a playlist variety.

I'm a Country Music Fan but have everything from Abba,AC/DC - Zombies, ZZTop, I usually try to stay with some upbeat music on the course unless mellow music is requested.  We're still competive (single digit HCs) but we do have fun!!

** Of course tournament play there's no music but everyone knows that when they sign up.

bluetooth.jpg

4'33" by Philip Glass is my favorite piece for the golf course.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I love having music in the cart, if someone is bothered by it I'll turn it off, or down.  Generally, respect others and keep it at a respectable level.  That being said, I don't understand anybody who needs complete silence when swinging a club, I mean I take the game seriously but if music is throwing off your rhythm, or someone talking in the background, your gonna need to learn to deal with that and ignore the noise.  Even the pros don't get total silence and there is a benefit to learning to play with distractions but complete silence, I don't get it.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:24 AM, Bill Lemke said:

I am good with music on  the course! Started a few years ago and find it relaxing. We always ask our playing partners if the mind music and we keep the volume down. There are times we have music in each cart!

If you can hear the music so could the others and a fairway over.  Golf course is a quiet space, and music could travel far.

Use an ear bud, You can crank it up as loud as you enjoy.

remember you are in a shared space where everyone is a paying customer.  The golf course is not your living room, so be respectable.  Not to invade the space of the others while you enjoy yours.  I don't know if any membership club allow for music on the golf course.  Most will even take away the cellular phone from their guests upon entering the gate. 

17 minutes ago, Frozen Spy said:

I love having music in the cart, if someone is bothered by it I'll turn it off, or down.  Generally, respect others and keep it at a respectable level.  That being said, I don't understand anybody who needs complete silence when swinging a club, I mean I take the game seriously but if music is throwing off your rhythm, or someone talking in the background, your gonna need to learn to deal with that and ignore the noise.  Even the pros don't get total silence and there is a benefit to learning to play with distractions but complete silence, I don't get it.

Behave appropriately at any place.  Golf course is not a concert hall, whether you understand it or not.   Basically, you're invading the space of the others while you enjoy your music.  If you can hear the conversation from the next fairway, your speaker will be invading the space of the others.

12 minutes ago, release said:

Behave appropriately at any place.  Golf course is not a concert hall, whether you understand it or not.   Basically, you're invading the space of the others while you enjoy your music.  If you can hear the conversation from the next fairway, your speaker will be invading the space of the others.

Ok, I don't have music so loud that anyone outside of my space hears it, it's about respect for others, I understand and practice that.  What I've never understood are people who need complete silence to swing a golf club, especially on a public course.  The course I grew up on is in the middle of the city with a few holes next to a busy road, people would honk during your back swing sometimes, I guess it trained me to tune out the noise, so it doesn't bother me.  My biggest problem with music is not singing and dancing😁

The fact that this is a re-occuring topic is indicative of our societal problems. Respect for others and their space is the issue. Playing music on a golf course is prohibited at most private clubs but daily fee and public courses are another matter. Personally, I find any music played so that I must hear it while playing golf is unacceptable.

The golf course isn't your home, or back yard. It is a shared space and respecting others environmental preferences here is vital. If you want musical accompaniment to your game use earbuds. It's enough that I am exposed to your bad swing and lack of knowledge of the game. To force your musical preferences on me is the last straw. I'm going to respectfully ask you to stop and if you comply, no problems. If you insist on continuing to this bad behaviour I'm out.  

As much as I would like to shove that speaker of your's down your throat, the legal consequences of such an action gives me only one option ... to stop playing with you and make sure that doesn't happen again by avoiding you like the plague which by the way, you are. This type of lack of respect and situational awareness is at epidemic proportions. I know you'll fire back with "but I like my music and it's my right to play it where and when I want". No it isn't you f-ing imbicle. 

Rant over ...

Edited by rmk!

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself ... 

I don't mind music at all but, there can only be one DJ per group.  It's hard to concentrate on sucking at golf with a yacht rock and mumble rap mashup going.

JaKe the 3 Putt God

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Wedges:  Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 54,60; KBS Custom X Shafts

Irons: Titleist 714 AP1 AW-5

Hybrid:  Titleist 714 4 

Woods: Titleist 915F 3 Wood; Diamana x5ct 80g S

Driver:  PXG Gen 4 0811X 9; Ventus Black 6x

Ball:  Titleist AVX Yellow

Hell yes, golf is my time and I will do as I please....in a considerate way all day,  walk or ride my stuff stays away from everyone else.

But if music bothers you then you have a weak mind. Find the thing that bothers you most take it to the range until it doesn't.

NOTHING should distract your focus....master this and the game becomes so much easier.

I prefer no music. Simply because I have a very specific taste in music so most peoples preference in music will tend to bug me... and the last thing I need on a golf course is yet another distraction swirling around in my head as I set out to hit each shot.

But if someone asks if they could play music, I'm ok as long as its not attached to my cart, and they keep it down to just being in their ear shot of their cart.

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5°

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3-H 18° (+2° set to 20°), Steelfiber fc-75

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14, JAWS MD5 52/10

:odyssey-small: Triple Track DoubleWide, Stroke Lab 32in shaft, SuperStroke WristLock Grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis, Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece

24 minutes ago, rmk! said:

The fact that this is a re-occuring topic is indicative of our societal problems. I know you'll fire back with "but I like my music and it's my right to play it where and when I want". No it isn't you f-ing imbicle. 

12 minutes ago, bblaze said:

Hell yes, golf is my time and I will do as I please

... Since you are both in California you should get together and play a round! 🤣 

31 minutes ago, rmk! said:

The fact that this is a re-occuring topic is indicative of our societal problems. Respect for others and their space is the issue. Playing music on a golf course is prohibited at most private clubs but daily fee and public courses are another matter. Personally, I find any music played so that I must hear it while playing golf is unacceptable.

The golf course isn't your home, or back yard. It is a shared space and respecting others environmental preferences here is vital. If you want musical accompaniment to your game use earbuds. It's enough that I am exposed to your bad swing and lack of knowledge of the game. To force your musical preferences on me is the last straw. I'm going to respectfully ask you to stop and if you comply, no problems. If you insist on continuing to this bad behaviour I'm out.  

As much as I would like to shove that speaker of your's down your throat, the legal consequences of such an action gives me only one option ... to stop playing with you and make sure that doesn't happen again by avoiding you like the plague which by the way, you are. This type of lack of respect and situational awareness is at epidemic proportions. I know you'll fire back with "but I like my music and it's my right to play it where and when I want". No it isn't you f-ing imbicle. 

Rant over ...

Although I don’t play music while golfing (I don’t even take my phone on the course), I don’t mind it when others play music at a reasonable (low) volume level while I am playing. I have never found it to affect my concentration or my enjoyment of the game of golf when there is music being played in my foursome.

I am glad that I don’t play golf with you, because I almost certainly would not enjoy myself, considering your hostile attitude.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

4 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I am glad that I don’t play golf with you, because I almost certainly would not enjoy myself, considering your hostile attitude.

... What is pretty mind boggling is he has no clue he is the flip side of the same coin. 🙄

As a former musician and long-time music lover, with a fairly wide musical taste, there's still no way I'm going to be interested in what the guy in the cart next to me wants to play through his crappy little bluetooth speakers at that particular moment, when I'm trying to hit a shot.

Simple solution. Wear your crappy bluetooth-quality earphones, and spare us your musical taste---or lack thereof. And I promise to do the same.

One of the most beautiful aspects of the game is the fact you can be away from all the noises of daily life and be out in nature and its peacefulness. The game is one of high concentration to be played well at any level. If you want music go to a concert or stay at home and play as much as loud as you want.

On 7/9/2023 at 5:22 PM, Ron Folkinga said:

What are your thoughts about music while playing golf? I've played about four or five rounds with a guy I ran into last summer. He is a friend of a friend who I had met once before but didn't know at all. He insists on bringing a speaker and installing it on the cart and playing 70's rock all day long while playing. The first few times it didn't bother me too much but I still wasn't wild about it. The last couple of times it really started bugging me and affecting my game. For the record we're both in our 60's and I love music. I have a nice stereo set up at home and love listening to good music. I like a lot of different genres and I do listen to some oldies once in a while. But four and half hours of listening to 70's rock just doesn't do it for me. The last time we played we were on the first tee and on came Bob Segar's "Old Time Rock and Roll." I just couldn't take it any more and asked him politely if we could just cut the music this time. He seemed somewhat offended even though he insisted he wasn't. He replied that he would agree "this one time." He's never asked if music bothers anyone and if anyone so much as makes a peep while he's on the tee box he has no problem turning around and giving them a dirty look. 

What do you think, pro music or no music?

I found that music helps my game in the 80's while stationed at Schofiel Barracks Hi.  However I used a walkman so no one else had to hear it.  I now have an IPod Nano dedicated to music I love to listen to while practicing or plaing.  I have not been able to play for three years because of a back injury and 3 surgeries.  I hope to again.  Suggest to your friend an IPod or some other small MP 3 player that he can attach to his hat and use ear buds.  It works great!  I find a lot of music with a tempo helps my swing rythem.  Before my injury I shot in the low 80's to high 70's.  No one ever complaned about my music because only I could hear it!

Music doesn't bother me as long as it's not too loud, mainly so it doesn't bother others on the course. But as a courtesy, the golfer should ask others in the group (if not his regular playing partners) if it's okay to play his music. 

HDCP: 2.5

1W: Titleist TSi2, 9*, Graphite Design XC6S

3W: Titleist TSr3 15*, Graphite Design XC7S

HY: Titleist TSr2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOS

4-9: Mizuno Pro 918, Nippon Modus 3 105S

PW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F46-10

GW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F50-12

SW: Mizuno T22, 54-8

LW: Mizuno T22, 60-6

P: LAB DF2.1, 33", 79.5* Lie Angle