Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Putter Refinishing

aguybadatgolf

I recently found a Bettinardi SS2 in bronze at a local play it again for 60 bucks so I had to buy it. I’ve been rolling it the last few weeks and love it. I want to get it refinished but there are so many refinishers and options.

Curious what others experience has been and if you have any recommendations on who to use? Bettinardi offers a refinishing service but it’s by far the most expensive option. Is it worth the premium to go back to the manufacturer? Thanks! 

IMG_1783.jpeg.00dd096055b1b4b1a8d1c7312a5c1911.jpegIMG_1784.jpeg.2965131c13d2fead5778922b046f8d93.jpegIMG_1785.jpeg.68f7efb633cb836f28fb9db36ae8cec0.jpeg

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

You can watch some YOUTUBE videos 1st and do that 1 yourself, its not beat up 2 bad at all. The only thing would be if you wanted the face remilled but you can have that done separately. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

9 minutes ago, Fred Mitchell said:

You can watch some YOUTUBE videos 1st and do that 1 yourself, it’s not beat up 2 bad at all. The only thing would be if you wanted the face remilled but you can have that done separately. 

I’d definitely want the face remilled it’s a little chewed up. I’d be hesitant to do it myself as I haven’t done one before and want it to have a like new finish. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

10 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

I’d definitely want the face remilled it’s a little chewed up. I’d be hesitant to do it myself as I haven’t done one before and want it to have a like new finish. 

slow and steady on everything except the face will bring the rest of the putter to ready to finish status pretty easily, make a good winter project , after sending club for milling the touch up the sanding and if stainless torch it for color, check those youtube videos or check out local places that do Cerakote and check their work and prices. Taking the head off the putter before you start is easy peasy with a butane or propane torch

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

At least watch a bunch of those videos 1st before you decide, it wont cost you a thing

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Do it yourself approach is more fun and ultimately less expensive.  Definitely watch videos, worst case you get some inspiration on how you want it to look.  Bettinardi like Cameron (charge the most for their own equipment).  I have done my own and have sent in to Cameron +/- $300.  One thing to check is Bettinardi's policy on dealing with clubs refinished by other than themselves.  I know Cameron in a lot of cases will not touch a putter that has been altered outside of their shop.  Just in case you get into it and don't like the outcome....  

Good luck

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

Thanks all! I’ll do some more research on the DIY route. I have a very used Wilson 8802 a friend gave me as a joke. I can probably use that to practice on first and go from there. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

22 hours ago, LinksgolfFever said:

Do it yourself approach is more fun and ultimately less expensive.  Definitely watch videos, worst case you get some inspiration on how you want it to look.  Bettinardi like Cameron (charge the most for their own equipment).  I have done my own and have sent in to Cameron +/- $300.  One thing to check is Bettinardi's policy on dealing with clubs refinished by other than themselves.  I know Cameron in a lot of cases will not touch a putter that has been altered outside of their shop.  Just in case you get into it and don't like the outcome....  

Good luck

The removal of dings looks very straightforward. I am a little concerned about my ability to put a high quality finish on it. What did you do with yours? Torching looks to be the easiest in theory but easy to mess up. I’m also not convinced that’s the finish I want anyway lol

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The first putter I did was a Cameron oil can Newport.  Wet sand,steel wool ,buff, repeat to take the pitch marks/divots, scratches out.  Acetone/torch, Acetone/torch to get the surface even and oil bath to finish the look.  Lots of work but lots of fun too.

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

23 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Thanks all! I’ll do some more research on the DIY route. I have a very used Wilson 8802 a friend gave me as a joke. I can probably use that to practice on first and go from there. 

My bad I should have mentioned that, I literally went to thrift store plus wife does yard and estate sale so she picked me up some putters to practice with. Its really important IMO if you plan on using mororized equipment like a deburring wheel, I would guess that a rotary tool would be a little easier to start with.

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

See if Norcal Putters is doing anything. If you do this yourself, which I don't really recommend because it's super expensive, you need to keep in mind just how much weight you're going to be getting rid of, especially with remilling the face or cleaning up edges.

You could electroplate some steel/copper on to fill the dings and then polish it off and then recoat it, but it's an arduous process not for the faint of heart.

Brad Meehan on YouTube if you want to see the nitty gritty.

• DRIVER: Maltby KE4 TC, Project X HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5, Tipped 1.5", 45", MOI 2860 kg-cm²
  • 3W: Maltby KE4 TC Pro, Project X HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5, Tipped 2", 44", MOI 2860 kg-cm²
  • 3H: Ping G425, Aldila NV 2KXV Green 85X, Tipped 0.5", 42", MOI 2800 kg-cm²
  • 4 - 7: Maltby TE+ Forged, Project X LZ 6.5, MOI 2760 kg-cm²
  • 8 - G: Maltby TS4 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5, MOI 2760 kg-cm²
  • SW, LW: Maltby TSW, Nippon Modus 120X, MOI 2840 kg-cm²
  • Putter: OpenSourceGolf Proto Mallie, 375g, 35.5", Bocierri Secret Grip BG0002
  • Grips: Lamkin UTX Cord Blue
  • Balls: Titleist ProV1x Left Dash