Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are your Grooves/Clubs on the NON-Conforming List? Starts tomorrow January 1, 2024

buckpillar

Here is an article I found related to non-conforming irons/grooves going back to 2010 that is informative.

This link is to locate information for your specific club from the USGA -  https://www.usga.org/InfoClubsDB/Search.aspx

The article-

Check your gear! These clubs will be nonconforming on January 1 

BY: RYAN BARATH  DECEMBER 27, 2023

Many wedges featuring pre-2010 grooves will become non-conforming in 2024.

RYAN BARATH

With so much discussion around the proposed rule change to the golf ball, many golfers have forgotten about another rule announcement made over a decade ago that is finally coming to fruition as of January 1, 2024, involving groove conformity for clubs that predate 2010 — meaning you could be carrying some illegal clubs.

As a refresher, the 2010 groove rule, which it is informally referred to, initially went into effect on January 1, 2010, and was adopted as a Condition of Competition — now called the Model Local Rule G-2, for the PGA Tour and LPGA Tour, along with the men’s, women’s, and seniors’ U.S. Opens, and all qualifying stages for these events. 

Then on January 1, 2014, model local rule G-2 became effective at all USGA championship events, but left all recreational golfers alone for another decade. This rule dictates the radius and volume of golf club groves and applies to any irons, wedges, hybrids, and even fairway woods with lofts of 25 degrees or more. 

Under the new rules any wedges that predate 2010 are nonconforming for handicap purposes. RYAN BARATH

Now as the calendar turns over to January 1, 2024, the 2010 groove rule will go into effect for all golfers wishing to keep a proper handicap and potentially play in club competitions that use USGA/R&A guidelines.

For every shot, every lie, every course, there’s a grind fit for your swing. Finding the right grind to match your swing and playing conditions will give you the best turf interaction, contact and shot performance. Master Craftsman Bob Vokey has spent decades crafting, developing and improving his tour proven grinds to fit players of all levels. Anyone can manufacture a wedge, but it takes a master to turn a piece of high-performance technology into an instrument of creative control. Bob’s six tour-proven grinds are designed to offer maximum creativity, versatility and consistency, all meticulously developed through years of working with the best players in the world. PROGRESSIVE CENTER OF GRAVITY SM9 features a progressive center of gravity (CG) throughout the lofts, which optimizes ball flight, accuracy and forgiveness. Using tapered top lines and varied hosel lengths, the Vokey R&D team has raised the height of the CG in the higher lofts, which promotes a lower, more controlled flight. The CG is also forward of the face, resulting in increased MOI, exceptional feel and a club face that simply wants to square up at impact. SPIN MILLED GROOVES SM9’s patented Spin Milled grooves are meticulously engineered through a new cutting process to maximize spin and durability. The process starts by cutting the face perfectly flat with a high-speed saw. Then every groove is individually cut based on loft and finish; low lofts (46°-54°) are designed with narrower, deeper grooves, while higher lofts (56°-62°) have wider, shallower grooves. Micro-grooves are individually cut in between grooves, which maximize spin on partial shots. A proprietary heat treatment is applied to the impact area which doubles the durability of the groove without impacting feel, making it the most durable groove in golf. The process is only complete when every Vokey wedge is 100% inspected for utmost quality and performance.

What does this mean?

If we are being blunt, for most golfers who don’t keep a handicap and only play recreationally, this is more water under the proverbial bridge of silly golf rules that don’t apply to them, like stroke and distance for out-of-bounds, a one-ball rule, and gimmes inside of 2 feet. 

6 ways your golf gear could be illegal (without you even knowing it!)

As for golfers who take the game a bit more seriously and hope that their playing partners do too: If you are using any clubs that predate 2010 — especially wedges — there is a really good chance you’ve already lost a lot of performance, and it’s probably worth an upgrade anyway. But even if that is the case, there is a chance that a competitor could have you disqualified for using a non-conforming club.

So, if you happen to have some rules sticklers at your club or in your regular foursome when playing for a few bucks, you can check your grooves here with the help of the USGA golf club database to make sure that when you tee it up in 2024, you’re playing by the rules fair and square.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

This is not accurate and Barath’s article was taken down.

Based on USGA’s guidance from their groove rollback FAQ, four year prior notice was to be given prior to universal adoption under the official equipment rules. Since this notice was never given, the pre-2010 conformance standard still stands for any playing condition that does not adopt MLR G-2 (at least until 2028). Basically 1/1/2024 was a soft target date, however as of now the ruling bodies have not made a final decision on universal adoption.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/grooves/common-questions-answers.html

When will Model Local Rule G-2 become a part of the Equipment Rules?

Clubs available prior to January 1, 2010, which conformed to the Rules of Golf in effect in 2009, but not the Rules of Golf effective from January 1, 2010, may continue to be used when playing under the Rules of Golf, except where a Committee has introduced a Local Rule requiring that the grooves and punch marks must conform to the Rules of Golf effective from January 1, 2010. We continue to keep this matter under review and, in the future, will make a final decision as to whether the groove and punch mark Rules effective from January 1, 2010 will apply to all golfers, including those playing at the non-elite level, at which point certain brands and models could be considered non-conforming. However, it is important to note that if we determine that the 2010 groove and punch mark rules will apply to all golfers, any such change would not become effective until at least four years from the date of that decision.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I was writing when @storm319 posted the accurate information. 

1 hour ago, buckpillar said:

If we are being blunt, for most golfers who don’t keep a handicap and only play recreationally, this is more water under the proverbial bridge of silly golf rules that don’t apply to them, like stroke and distance for out-of-bounds, a one-ball rule, and gimmes inside of 2 feet. 

For some reason statements like this turn me off.  The penalty for OB has very legitimate reasons, although not accepted by all.  The one-ball (model local) rule is used only for very high-level competitions, so legitimately doesn't apply to most of us.  Gimmes are absolutely allowed for match play, and very appropriately NOT allowed for stroke play.  Not one of these Rules is "silly", but calling them silly impacts my opinion of the writer.  So does posting incorrect information, in a transparent attempt to generate traffic for a website.  It's lazy journalism.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Ryan isn't my favorite as is. Don't wish anyone foolish errors like this either. 

The statement quote there certainly could have been written better and something along the lines of why would you be playing a wedge from 14 years ago etc..

Anyway glad it was taken down as it was false and too bad it got as much run as it did potentially leading ppl on the wrong path.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Well, my 20+year old clubs are safe. Foremost 551, produced by Dunlop, Bought out by Sumimoto. (they also own Cleveland and Srixon)

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Ryan isn't my favorite as is. Don't wish anyone foolish errors like this either. 

The statement quote there certainly could have been written better and something along the lines of why would you be playing a wedge from 14 years ago etc..

Anyway glad it was taken down as it was false and too bad it got as much run as it did potentially leading ppl on the wrong path.

All, I want to apologize for the incorrect information, was just trying to make aware of the January 1 start .

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

2 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

All, I want to apologize for the incorrect information, was just trying to make aware of the January 1 start .

No need to apologize! I had seen and read the article before it was posted here. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 12/31/2023 at 12:19 PM, DaveP043 said:

I was writing when @storm319 'Not one of these Rules is "silly", but calling them silly impacts my opinion of the writer'.  ..wow...i see your opinion is very important and the only one that counts..wow..glad to know. Returning to the tee to rehit your tee shot is dumb.. have a drop area off the tee at an appropriate distance for non competitive rounds..nothing like joe hacker even an anal retentive 6.7 handicapper returning to a tee on a busy saturday to hit another ball out of bounds...they have drop zones on par 3s and even on the 18th green in pga tournaments...ps i bet you miss the wind moving your ball penalty....ps.i have a garage full of old clubs i can still sell now...lol

Edited by staffwilson

10 hours ago, staffwilson said:

Returning to the tee to rehit your tee shot is dumb..

Leaving the tee without hitting a Provisional is dumb.  Choosing not to utilize MLR E-5 (alternative relief for ball lost or OB) in casual play is dumb.  But allowing a designer or committee to choose to make specific areas (i.e. off the defined playing area) subject to a more severe penalty (stroke and distance) as compared to other areas on the golf course is reasonable.  Having a graduated hierarchy of penalties for different results is reasonable.  The change in the treatment of a ball moved accidentally on the putting green was very reasonable, given the changes in golf course conditions.  To be honest, the more I've learned about the Rules of Golf and their evolution, the more respect I have for the people who write and refine them.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Since I am well beyond the my abilities of playing competively anymore and will not go out of my way to play nonconforming equipment, I will continue to play what is presently in my bag plus at times take down some older clubs ( i.e. Ping Eye 2 irons) from the rafters and just enjoy being able to be outside and play this wonderful game. As frustrating as the game can be, it is meant to be fun for the average player.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

• 1 month later...

This is wholly incorrect.
Taken directly from the USGA website:

When the USGA and The R&A announced changes to groove and punch-mark specifications as part of the 2010 Equipment Rules, an implementation period was provided to give golfers, manufacturers and the game ample to time to adjust.

While the updated Rules required all new models of clubs (except drivers and putters) manufactured on or after January 1, 2010, to conform to updated specifications, implementation also included the creation of a Model Local Rule. This allows the new specifications to be applied by competition organizers, and also allows golfers who don’t play in competitions with the Local Rule in place to continue using clubs conforming to the Rules in effect in 2009 until at least 2024.

While we have continued to review whether these updated Rules will apply to all golfers, it will remain effective only through use of the Model Local Rule (G-2). Any decision to apply the January 1, 2010, specifications to all golfers, which would impact the conformance of many clubs available and conforming in 2009, will not become effective until at least four years from the date of that decision. As a result, the earliest that a change would occur is January 2028.