Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

How to choose the right driver shaft length?

So I recently bought a new driver, but I went down the rabbit hole of shaft lengths and all of that interesting stuff. What l've read is that for my floor-to-wrist length of 35.5" I should be using a shorter shaft length. I've seen multiple different charts saying I should use a 44" shaft and some say I should take 1" off of my shaft, but with my new driver the standard length is 45.75".

Simple math being if I take off 1" it'll be 44.75", but on the other hand l've seen it say my playing length should be 44".  .75" seems like a lot where I should probably get it right the first time. What route should I go with? Also, I know I should just go somewhere and hit both lengths, but due to location/work this isn't an easily accessible option. Any input would be great thanks!

Driver: Callaway Paradym X 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore X F3 6X

Woods: PXG 0311 XF Gen6 3 wood/5 Wood

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Wedges: Cobra Snakebites 60/56/52

Putter: Cleveland Frontline Elite Elevado

Balls: TaylorMade Tour Response

12 minutes ago, Cayner said:

So I recently bought a new driver, but I went down the rabbit hole of shaft lengths and all of that interesting stuff. What l've read is that for my floor-to-wrist length of 35.5" I should be using a shorter shaft length. I've seen multiple different charts saying I should use a 44" shaft and some say I should take 1" off of my shaft, but with my new driver the standard length is 45.75".

Simple math being if I take off 1" it'll be 44.75", but on the other hand l've seen it say my playing length should be 44".  .75" seems like a lot where I should probably get it right the first time. What route should I go with? Also, I know I should just go somewhere and hit both lengths, but due to location/work this isn't an easily accessible option. Any input would be great thanks!

wrist to floor is basically meaningless other than to determine a place to start.     Spray some footpowder on the face and try different lengths (you can choke down on the shaft) and see what gives you the most consistent correct location ball impact strikes. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 minutes ago, Cayner said:

It may seem like a lot or a pain I. The ass but golf galaxy or a sub 70 near you get a driver fitting they will tell you what length you need by swinging the club

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

wrist to floor is basically meaningless other than to determine a place to start.     Spray some footpowder on the face and try different lengths (you can choke down on the shaft) and see what gives you the most consistent correct location ball impact strikes. 

So that being said, say I do determine choking down gives me better contact, would I then measure to where the top of my top hand would be? 

11 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

It may seem like a lot or a pain I. The ass but golf galaxy or a sub 70 near you get a driver fitting they will tell you what length you need by swinging the club

Thanks for the input! It is a pain in the ass, but it is possible. Just would take me longer to get fitted, ordered, etc.

22 minutes ago, Cayner said:

Thanks for the input! It is a pain in the ass, but it is possible. Just would take me longer to get fitted, ordered, etc.

You would use their clubs to get fit and then you have the data right there! And they cut shafts there too! It would be easier to have them cut the shaft if it needs to be shorter and just te grip unless I’m an idiot and you need to cut from the bottom! In that case idk I’ve always gotten fit first ! 

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip

41 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I will second this idea as I have done that myself when I was first starting out and didn’t want to pay a lot at that time. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

PXG 7 wood with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Mizuno S23 54 and 58 degree wedges

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

9 hours ago, Cayner said:

So that being said, say I do determine choking down gives me better contact, would I then measure to where the top of my top hand would be? 

This will be a process!  You’re going to be trying different lengths.  I would put tape on the grip to see where I am setting my hands.  When you figure out the right length the team will give you this indication.  

If you go the grip down approach you may not like the smaller grip  . To alleviate that issue, get some cheap grips and cut off the end to open the hole so you can slide the grip down to the desired length.    

Edited by cnosil

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

Places like golf galaxy don’t often have different length shafts; they typically carry stock lengths.  

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This will be a process!  You’re going to be trying different lengths.  I would put tape on the grip to see where I am setting my hands.  When you figure out the right length the team will give you this indication.  

If you go the grip down approach you may not like the smaller grip  . To alleviate that issue, get some cheap grips and cut off the end to open the hole so you can slide the grip down to the desired length.    

This is prob the easiest way if a fitting isn't available. I play 44.5 typically because it feels the most comfortable for me. It's different for everyone and just takes time to figure out. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Places like golf galaxy don’t often have different length shafts; they typically carry stock lengths.  

Good to know

On 1/16/2024 at 9:26 PM, Cayner said:

Two options for finding the best shaft and shaft length. The fastest and probably cheapest way is to get fit.

The slower and probably more expensive route is to test different shafts. Choking down will let you know what length helps find the sweet spot, then you have to play with weight to find what’s right.

Wrist to floor isn’t used by the best in the business. Some good fitters will use it at a starting point but that’s all it is. It’s not the last stop.